Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Ceramic Button Clutch's Wed, 04 August 2004 10:56 Go to next message
How do you drive when using a ceramic button clutch? Do you drive normally (Letting it out slowly) OR drop it (Letting it out fast)???

Ive been told not to slip it and just drop it, What do you guys think?
  Send a private message to this user    
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ceramic Button Clutch's Wed, 04 August 2004 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've only recently started driving with a 5 puck srpung center, but from what i heard it varies lots depending on amount of pucks and whether it is sprung or not, I generally can let it out smoothly with a slight raise in revs and it goes off smoothly.. try to launch hard I have really only done the same but with more revs, need a lsd to test it out properly.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Ceramic Button Clutch's Wed, 04 August 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well since its ceramic you can ease it out gently, and since its a button it will grab once it is fully out. I use a 5 puck ceramic sprung centre. i ease it out for a gental take off, and drop it for the drags.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ceramic Button Clutch's Wed, 04 August 2004 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Button clutches don't like being slipped a lot. Slipping it a bit as you take off from the lights is fine, but have you ever seen someone hold a car stationary on a hill using the clutch? That sort of thing will kill a button clutch very quickly!
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: Ceramic Button Clutch's Thu, 05 August 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got a 5 puk ceramic button, solid centre, works good for me, took a little while to get used too though, but still resonably smooth
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ceramic Button Clutch's Fri, 06 August 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 05 August 2004 09:11

Button clutches don't like being slipped a lot. Slipping it a bit as you take off from the lights is fine, but have you ever seen someone hold a car stationary on a hill using the clutch? That sort of thing will kill a button clutch very quickly!

Hehehe, that's for sure. I've got a 5 puck sprung centre Carbotic clutch, and I have maybe 3-5 seconds of slip time before it heats up and just starts to grab at the flywheel. It's fine for easy take offs or dumps, just not for riding for any extended amount of time.
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: Ceramic Button Clutch's Fri, 06 August 2004 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a ceramic cushioned button clutch (technical name!) To be quite honest, If you are a daily driver, i wouldnt recomend a button. but thats just me. its hard to drive with, and clutch pedal becomes anoyingly hard after a while. Very good for full launches and otherwise but a real headache in slow traffic. Decide carefully is all i can say
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Ceramic Button Clutch's Fri, 06 August 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys! ma all iv ever heard of is 1ton brass buttons. whats all this otherstuff? ceramic, 5 puck, cushioned

PLEASE EXPLAIN? Confused
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Ceramic Button Clutch's Fri, 06 August 2004 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 1 ton you have heard of is the weight of the pressure plate

the number of 'pucks' refers to what the clutch plate looks like (ie 5 puck has 5 little plates on it, looks like a star)

ceramic/organic/etc refers to the friction material on the clutch plate

cushioned, no idea but i assume it means sprung. you have a sprung centre which has 4 or 5 springs in it or a solid centre with none. the sprung centres are easier to drive, the solid ones make the clutch feel like an on/off switch.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Ceramic Button Clutch's Fri, 06 August 2004 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THANKS pro_ke much appreciated for the info.

gives me something to think bout when i eventually go down that path
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ceramic Button Clutch's Sun, 08 August 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well every1 i have spoken to in the clutch industry has told me that you are not to ride a ceramic button clutch. Doing this will shorten the life of the clutch. In a perfect world (without police, tyre or diff wear) your ment to just let it out to protect the life of the clutch.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ceramic Button Clutch's Sun, 08 August 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's a difference between riding the clutch and briefly slipping it. You don't have to dump the clutch everywhere you go, it's prefectly fine to drive normally. I didn't change my driving habits at all when I switched to a ceramic clutch; that was over a year ago and the same clutch is still going strong.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Ceramic Button Clutch's Sun, 08 August 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much do they cost? roughtly?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ceramic Button Clutch's Mon, 09 August 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From memory my original clutch with heavy-duty organic drive plate was $290, and the bloke said it would be an extra $100 for the 5-puck ceramic jobbie. I didn't think the ceramic clutch would be necessary so I turned him down, a decision I later regretted! So anyway, there's not a huge difference in price.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ceramic Button Clutch's Mon, 09 August 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how longs a piece of string
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Ceramic Button Clutch's Mon, 09 August 2004 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think mine cost about 370 for a 4 puck ceramic/metallic compound (for a 4k motor so it was not an off the shelf job)
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Ceramic Button Clutch's Mon, 09 August 2004 00:56 Go to previous message
mine was 410+gst for the 5 puck sprung center and pressure plate + thrust bearing and spigot bearing. oh and an aligning tool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:spraybooths in melb??
Next Topic:Who has a nice Sprinter,and is willing to take Whitchy to his formal in it?(Will pay $ for services)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 19:24:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042569637298584 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.