Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How to keep ABS with man.cressida conversion?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
How to keep ABS with man.cressida conversion? Thu, 05 August 2004 04:24 Go to next message
Has a forum member any advice on this subject?Conversion planned for October.Jim from Sideshow is doing wiring but not sure how to keep ABS working .All I know on the subject is that Cressida ABS is 3 channel and it has something to do with the rear of the auto box.Any advice appreciated.Pete.Brisbane. Confused
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to keep ABS with man.cressida conversion? Thu, 05 August 2004 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The auto box has an ABS sensor attached to the output shaft. When you do your manual conversion you'll need a similar sensor inside the gearbox, if an equivalent is available for the box you're using (are we talking W58 or R154 here?).

Otherwise, it might be possible to run a sensor off the tailshaft. I've never seen one of these sensors though so I'm not sure what you're up against.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: How to keep ABS with man.cressida conversion? Thu, 05 August 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An ABS sensor generally has approx 2mm square teeth with 2mm gaps.
They are this often to give quick reaction to when the sensor stops moving, ie locked up wheels.

If you are going to have to fit a separate sensor & tone wheel to the tailshaft, I'd think of a way to fit one to each half shaft at the rear with a divider on the circuit.
That way if either rear wheel locks up, the brakes will release (although it still will be both rear wheels) instead of when both rear wheels lokc up causing the tailshaft to stop.
This is why cars now have 4 channel ABS, not 3 channel.

I can get you a pic of the tone wheel on an ST205 front shaft if you want to see what they look like.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How to keep ABS with man.cressida conversion? Thu, 05 August 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is what the chopper wheel looks like. There are 20 or 32 teeth (I can't remember).
http://members.optusnet.com.au/corona2jzge/Crown%20V8%20conversion/A340%20speed%20sensor%20mod/chopper%20wheel.jpg

You'll need to fit this (or its manual equivalent) to the back of your W58 or R154 and run the sensor (from memory a 3 wire one - one is power, one is ground and the other is signal).
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/br/BR_68.gif

You're in luck. Looks like the A340 and the R154 run the same chopper wheel.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 August 2004 06:32]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to keep ABS with man.cressida conversion? Thu, 05 August 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting info GT. It says the W58 has one, but my JZA80 box had no sensor in the area pictured? Perhaps it depends on the spec of the vehicle it came out of.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How to keep ABS with man.cressida conversion? Thu, 05 August 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm....these are US spec MA70 gearboxes. I honestly can't comment on the later stuff. I might go and have a look at my JZA80 boxes and see.
I think I better surf thru the Mkiv.com website as well.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to keep ABS with man.cressida conversion? Thu, 05 August 2004 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now I think about it, the JZA80's probably had 4-channel ABS, hence the ABS sensors would be on the rear wheels not the gearbox.

So in other words, our friend will have to find a manual gearbox from a MA70/JZA70 fitted with ABS, or some other manual Toyota with 3-channel ABS. Might be a tough ask!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How to keep ABS with man.cressida conversion? Thu, 05 August 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah. He is in serious luck. He has a manual JZA70 halfcut. He should be laughing. Laughing

And you are probably right about the 4 channel ABS.....didn't even occur to me.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 August 2004 07:09]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to keep ABS with man.cressida conversion? Thu, 05 August 2004 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But do all JZA70's have ABS? I know it was optional on MA70's (and rarely specified); it might have been standard on the JZA70 though.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to keep ABS with man.cressida conversion? Thu, 05 August 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 05 August 2004 16:52

But do all JZA70's have ABS? I know it was optional on MA70's (and rarely specified); it might have been standard on the JZA70 though.

Mine didn't (from my vauge memory). Then again it was a jza70R so maybe different.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How to keep ABS with man.cressida conversion? Thu, 05 August 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 05 August 2004 17:22

Hopefully, it'll be as simple as fitting the chopper wheel and sensor from the back of his A340 to the output shaft of the R154.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: How to keep ABS with man.cressida conversion? Thu, 05 August 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R's had no abs/cruiser to my knowledge
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: How to keep ABS with man.cressida conversion? Thu, 05 August 2004 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah,could be tricky but there is always a way-box is R154.The ABS is existing on the Grande spec Cressida that the 1j is going into.The donor front cut does have the ABS gear.Looking at the box from rear view just above the rear mount there is a speedo cable on drivers side and an electrical connection directly opposite on the passenger side.Its possible this is the sender? [edit-just saw the diagram posted above-Fantastic! thanks guys! Laughing Pete.Brisbane.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 August 2004 14:35]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How to keep ABS with man.cressida conversion? Fri, 06 August 2004 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, if anyone discovers an easy way to fit a chopper disc to a W box using factory bits, do please let me know... Saves me needing to make bits for the back of my W55.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How to keep ABS with man.cressida conversion? Fri, 06 August 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shinny, get someone who knows how to use the EPC to get the part numbers for the bits from an MA70 W58.
Buy bits.
Fit to W5x.
BlwnHilux
Newcomer

August 2004
Re: How to keep ABS with man.cressida conversion? Fri, 06 August 2004 01:54 Go to previous message
manmx83 you have PM
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3TGTE Starter Motor
Next Topic:Cressida Rear suspension
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 04:15:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044820308685303 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.