Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Unsettled 4th Gen owner!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Unsettled 4th Gen owner!!! Wed, 04 August 2004 00:20 Go to next message
Been speakin to a few mates and yeah i've been hearing a lot of stories about spun bearings causing people to have to either rebuild their 3sge or else get another...

My engine has 273.000kms, had a top end rebuild at like 200,000kms and yeah runs really really well, doesn't blow any smoke, Not one bit. doesn't use up oil etc...

I'm just scared a spun bearing will happen to me,
Is there anyway i could tell if its going?
Should i be worried?
Coz i am Sad
I love the car to bits...

Regards
Adrian!
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Unsettled 4th Gen owner!!! Wed, 04 August 2004 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keep changing the oil and don't live at 7000 revs and you will be fine! Smile

These engines are built like tanks
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Unsettled 4th Gen owner!!! Wed, 04 August 2004 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I barely take it to 6000,
Only taken it past 6000 once...
I change the oil every 5000 and oil filter too....
yeah they are built strong, i feel a lot better now thanx man...

I will go ahead with jdm ecu too, feel a lot better
bloody hell these engines rock!!!
So responsive for what they are!
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Unsettled 4th Gen owner!!! Wed, 04 August 2004 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SSHHHHHH , whats that noise ???? I thought i heard something
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Unsettled 4th Gen owner!!! Wed, 04 August 2004 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i spun a bearing doing 110km/h in second, when it was still auto. The only reason it spun was it was redlning the gear and there was an oil leak that spat out all the oil so i had none.
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: Unsettled 4th Gen owner!!! Wed, 04 August 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFAIK, the main reason a bearing ends up spinning is lack of lubrication. Once there is none, the friction and heat build up causes the bearing to grab the crank (or the crank to grab the bearing, your choice Razz ) and that's that.

So I don't think there's any warning to it, I doubt it would take very long for this to happen once the lubrication isn't there.

Keep an eye on the oil system, don't rev the rings off it and you should be fine. Toyota engines are bulletproof, so if it's looked after I wouldn't be surprised to see it make 300000. Mines at 262000, so I'm not far behind you!
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Unsettled 4th Gen owner!!! Wed, 04 August 2004 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I spun mine at 255,000kms

I was at like 6000 constant but I was at a race track, it wasn't that that did it it happened just after coming off a corner so I guess I had an oil surge which momentarily left the bearing unlubed, my lesson, don't take corners hard on redline. a good idea is to get some slick 50 then that way if you do lose the fluid all you stuff is still coated so it won't harm it. thats what I have done now
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Unsettled 4th Gen owner!!! Thu, 05 August 2004 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
She never sees anything more than 6500, i'm pretty careful, even racing someone, i wouldn't mind getting one of those things to tell u when u've hit a prescribed rev, i think they are a shift kit or something like that...

But yeah I service her religiously, oil gets changed every 5000, its checked every week, same with coolant. So yeah i'm a lot more reasurred about what a spun bearing actually means, so if its always got oil and its not revved HEAPS it shouldn't do it?
Thats a relief...

Thanx for all those that replied

improvedae86 - Yes I am paranoid, i just love the car so much Very Happy
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Unsettled 4th Gen owner!!! Thu, 05 August 2004 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can always find a way of spinning a bearing Smile But generally speaking revving the nuts off of a car all the time will do something to the engine eventually - either spinning a bearing or killing a valve spring or whatever. Just drive the car sedate, and do all the regular services etc and it'll last as long as it can last.

Alternatively, take the engine apart and put it back together with newer bits in it.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Unsettled 4th Gen owner!!! Thu, 05 August 2004 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SR TWINCAM wrote on Thu, 05 August 2004 11:11

i wouldn't mind getting one of those things to tell u when u've hit a prescribed rev, i think they are a shift kit or something like that...

A Shift lite???? Rob has one on his collection of ricey bits Laughing Very Happy Razz you know I am only kidding man Heart
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Unsettled 4th Gen owner!!! Thu, 05 August 2004 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shift light thats the one,
Its just yeah sometimes u don't even know how fast ur going, all it would be is a SMALL TINY light even on the dash, like a LED or something but small, nothing ricey like Robs.. Razz
hehe
U know i like it too Rob

Are there kits u can buy?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Unsettled 4th Gen owner!!! Fri, 06 August 2004 00:18 Go to previous message
Can't you hear how fast you are going?????
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Discussion! AE86 Front lip (What would it look like????)
Next Topic:Place for custom extractors??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 02:01:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006126880645752 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.