Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What makes a car jerky on/off the accerator

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
What makes a car jerky on/off the accerator Fri, 06 August 2004 03:56 Go to next message
Any ideas..??

you know when it is like there is a backlash on and off the throttle

My car does it a bit and mum's car got the clutch and center diff changed and now it has started doing it

but my car doesn't even have a diff...

do we put it down to worn drivetrain components?
  Send a private message to this user    
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: What makes a car jerky on/off the accerator Fri, 06 August 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
worn teeth
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What makes a car jerky on/off the accerator Fri, 06 August 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon it's the driver... hehe

My guess would be fueling or idle control valve. Depends on how jerky and what type of jerkiness though....
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: What makes a car jerky on/off the accerator Fri, 06 August 2004 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"my car doesn't even have a diff" lol
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: What makes a car jerky on/off the accerator Fri, 06 August 2004 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe Come on, leave him alone, he drives a FWD... Laughing
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: What makes a car jerky on/off the accerator Fri, 06 August 2004 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one without a diff at that!!!

differentials 101 for rob:
http://www.mileone.com/corp/info/research/faqs/whe eldrive.htm
If your front- or rear-wheel drive car didn't have a differential, the two linked tires would be locked together and forced to rotate at the same speed, which would make simple turns and maneuverability quite difficult and put incredible strain on the axles.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: What makes a car jerky on/off the accerator Fri, 06 August 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and to get back on topic, yes, it's probably worn drivetrain components. sometimes you can get things rebuild and shimmed to make clearances up, sometimes you just need to get new gears
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: What makes a car jerky on/off the accerator Fri, 06 August 2004 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok smart ass

I know THAT

but what I meant was..

you know what..

you KNOW what I meant.. smart ass

a separatated diff.. as in, either the teeth from the g/box assembly could be worn, or the diff assembly

yes, I have a diff, but no, I don't have a separate diff

interesting.. on the Subaru, it was a computer thing.. I wonder what it is on the celica.

speaking of the celica... i totally just knackered my clutch.. so bad that I can now put it straight in gear... and there is stuff clunking around in my bell housing

Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: What makes a car jerky on/off the accerator Fri, 06 August 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"what i meant was you know what you know what i meant"? no, i don't know what you meant. learn to construct sentences properly and perhaps we shall continue this discussion

if you match revs well enough, you can change gear without a clutch anyway, at least you can in nicely worn old corolla boxes Razz
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: What makes a car jerky on/off the accerator Fri, 06 August 2004 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

"what i meant was you know what you know what i meant"? no, i don't know what you meant. learn to construct sentences properly and perhaps we shall continue this discussion

You don't know what I meant Mr Sentence Nazi?

I meant that I didn't have a differential separated from my gearbox, as such. Why I said I didn't have one was because I wanted to know if I should attribute backlash through to either worn teeth in the box or in the differential.

Or something else entirely.

Comprendé?

Seems the Subaru had this problem because of two wrong wires to the computer from the gearbox.

Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: What makes a car jerky on/off the accerator Fri, 06 August 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apologies for desiring to understand what the hell you're talking about. i don't really see how it would matter if the diff is rwd or fwd, it's all components that can wear and need replacing separately, just the housing changes
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: What makes a car jerky on/off the accerator Fri, 06 August 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
except in a rwd it's probably a bit easier to troubleshoot, as you may be able to hear or feel where the clunk is coming from, and it's a hell of a lot easier to change components if it comes to that
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: What makes a car jerky on/off the accerator Fri, 06 August 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you are right of course.

and my comments regarding whether or not you know what I think you know are not really relevant to the topic at hand.. so don't stress about it Wink

I know I have a differential in my gearbox, but I just wanted to specify I guess.

Thanks for the good feedback.. crazy how it was an electrical thing on the subaru.. but I am pretty sure it is mechanical on my Sleeka
Beer_is_good
Regular

February 2004

Re: What makes a car jerky on/off the accerator Fri, 06 August 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what you meant to say was you meant to mean what?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: What makes a car jerky on/off the accerator Fri, 06 August 2004 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very HappyVery Happy
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What makes a car jerky on/off the accerator Fri, 06 August 2004 07:43 Go to previous message
http://www.stickergiant.com/Merchant2/imgs/g075.gif
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What is wrong here ?????
Next Topic:RWD 4A-GE 100kW Intake manifold - how to guide
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:04:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046238899230957 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.