Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
drummerboy
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Thu, 05 August 2004 10:43 Go to next message
Hi guys,
trying to decide between the Supra 2.5 litre TT (1jz gte) or the 3 litre turbo (7mgte). I know the 1jz is a better engine, but I have enough trouble getting parts for my ma70 n/a. Whats the opinions... is a 7mgte with a retorqued head and metal head gasket the way to go, or is the 1jz not as bad on parts as I thought. Thanks guys.
  Send a private message to this user    
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Thu, 05 August 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1JZ-GTE, JZA70 is the way to go. Same parts as MA70, just basically the engine is different.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Thu, 05 August 2004 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Regarding parts avaialbility for the 1j, you can most small things from toyota (air filters etc). They can order large parts in if they've got nothing in stock, but that does take time.
During a couple of years of 1jz ownership I needed a replacment p/s pump, water pump and harmonic balancer, I settled for 2nd hand parts - pretty easy to get from wreckers/importers.

I don't there would be a big difference either way.
JZA70_R
Regular

December 2003

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Fri, 06 August 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I may be a tad biast but if you are lookin for performance the 1JZ is the go, just a bit easier to get power from than the 7M, not that the 7M is a bad engine... I also shattered a harmonic balancer and went to toyota themselves and i got one from melbourne. If they dont have it they can source it.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Fri, 06 August 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont do half a job get a 2jz-gte, if your set on a JZ series engine and goto all the work of converting to a different series engine better off geting the best of that series!

Allan
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Fri, 06 August 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Fri, 06 August 2004 21:25

dont do half a job get a 2jz-gte, if your set on a JZ series engine and goto all the work of converting to a different series engine better off geting the best of that series!

Allan

totally agree.
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sat, 07 August 2004 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1j for sure.... chop those poo 7m's any day... Smile

- Russ

PS if your converting, hell yeah get a 2jz aristo cut.. cheap cheap..

- Russ
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sat, 07 August 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JZA70_R wrote on Fri, 06 August 2004 18:16

I also shattered a harmonic balancer and went to toyota themselves and i got one from melbourne. If they dont have it they can source it.

Yeah those friggin things go like nothing hey... my mates went on his Rz mark iV a week before mine did... mine went on the way to motorvation this year.. !@)#(!@#()!!! Must be a 1j/2j problem.

- Russ
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sat, 07 August 2004 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
poombah wrote on Sat, 07 August 2004 10:07

Yeah those friggin things go like nothing hey... my mates went on his Rz mark iV a week before mine did... mine went on the way to motorvation this year.. !@)#(!@#()!!! Must be a 1j/2j problem.

Shocked You mean the JZ engines have a common problem, the same way the 7Ms suffer from headgasket problems??!

*stir*
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sat, 07 August 2004 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lucid wrote on Sat, 07 August 2004 10:43

poombah wrote on Sat, 07 August 2004 10:07

Shocked You mean the JZ engines have a common problem, the same way the 7Ms suffer from headgasket problems??!

*stir*

lol.. i dont think it would happen to EVERY engine though Razz
this is the 1st ive ever heard of this.. maybe they are doing something wrong
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sat, 07 August 2004 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you imagine the amount of shit that would fly on here (out of the ordinary of course) if someone discovered a universal flaw with 1JZ engines?? hehehe
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sat, 07 August 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lucid wrote on Sat, 07 August 2004 10:54

Can you imagine the amount of shit that would fly on here (out of the ordinary of course) if someone discovered a universal flaw with 1JZ engines?? hehehe

lol.. well keep trying Smile
i know of many 1jz owners that have never heard of this
every 7m owner knows of their head gasket... which has already blown and been replaced, been replaced before its blown.. or is going to blow
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sat, 07 August 2004 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1jz's have heaps of common problems, like turbo self destruction, pcv failure, dodgey waterpumps, leak like a sive rocker covers, fuel reg failure..
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sat, 07 August 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh so they do actually have problems! LOL ! Laughing

Hrmmm shattering a harmonic balancer, nothing too dramatac about that happening on a highway Rolling Eyes

About 5 people on here have had this happen now!
About 4 or 5 have also had turbos shit themselves and fuck whole engines Shocked
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sat, 07 August 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Sat, 07 August 2004 17:39

Hrmmm shattering a harmonic balancer, nothing too dramatac about that happening on a highway Rolling Eyes

About 4 or 5 have also had turbos shit themselves and fuck whole engines Shocked

how many 7m owners ahve had to do the head gaskets?
work out a percentage there(about 99%?)
then work out the ammount of 1jz's.. and the ammount with probs.. about 1%? hehe
drummerboy
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sat, 07 August 2004 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the advice guys. I would prefer the 2jz-gte, but could anyone tell me the model number of the mark3 Supra thats got it? Would I have to import the car from Japan? I'd like an original jz series car, not an engine swap.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sat, 07 August 2004 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2jz-gte does not come in the mk3 supras
its a custom conversion
a few people have done it...apparently its easier than slapping a 2jz into most engine bays
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sat, 07 August 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Sat, 07 August 2004 21:52

then work out the ammount of 1jz's.. and the ammount with probs.. about 1%? hehe

but the head gasket problem is more a factory torque setting and not a floor within the motor design itself, i'd say the two are vastly different things
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sat, 07 August 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder how many of the balancer problems come after a timing belt change....
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 08:43

Jag7799 wrote on Sat, 07 August 2004 21:52

but the head gasket problem is more a factory torque setting and not a floor within the motor design itself, i'd say the two are vastly different things

hehe yeah.. but still a problem/oversight from toyota.. that happens to 99% of owners
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 09:35

So now your suggesting people dont know how to fit the crank pully back on???

my god your MORE stuck up then Val Kilmer, you must really think your god's gift to spanners!!!!

Allan
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 11:24

my god your MORE stuck up then Val Kilmer, you must really think your god's gift to spanners!!!!

Allan

and the claws come out Razz

i think its a valid question\statement of blacksupras, it would be interesting to know how many of the people who've had a balancer die on them after a timing belt change, if there is a large percentage then it might not be a problem with the engine.
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Id like to meet these people - I dont think they exist.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Special Ed wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 11:46

Id like to meet these people - I dont think they exist.

Wastegate is one of them. don't know about the rest?

I am pretty sure that he was saying something about the high mount system and the vacuum sucking bits of turbos back into the exhaust ports? was a while ago though, so that could be wrong Smile
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think wastegates problem was a topic of "heated debate"...

now what about the rest that prove the rule?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 10:15

hehe yeah.. but still a problem/oversight from toyota.. that happens to 99% of owners

yeah yeah, hows about you produce some REAL statistics before shooting off your mouth. and no, regurgitating crap youve 'heard' from forum after forum does NOT count.

please read the tech section rules again lad:

Quote:

PLEASE do not simply regurgitate what you've overheard or read somewhere else, and call it your 'expert' contribution to a thread. Posts like this simply propagate misinformation. If you think you can refer someone to relevant web resources, by all means do so, but please do not make an independent 'statement of fact' about an issue unless you can substantiate it.

no one in any way denies the issues 7m's have with head bolt tension and gaskets, but ffs! settle down 'mr I now own a 1jz'...

wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heated debate?! There is no fucking debate about it. I got a stuffed turbo with the engine, the replacement turbo that I got from the importer had a huge crack in the rear bearing housing causing the bloody turbo to explode into small ceramic bits. When the engine went into a trailing throttle the bits went into number 1-3 cylinders and making mince meat out of the pistons and head. I should have checked the replacement turbo was all good before I put it on. But it's all in the past now. I got a new engine from it.

I'd just like to add too that this would be a EXTREMELY rare instance. The turbo blew up with below 0psi (eg in vacuum). When most people blow a turbo they are at WOT/under full load where all the bits shoot out the exhaust anyway. Was only the fact that the turbo blew up with no load that was the doom of the engine. Is it a JZ problem? NO. Is it a Ceramic Turbo problem? IHMO Yes.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 August 2004 06:48]

quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you always hear the "1J better than 7M" comment. Whats that based on? Must be a stock vs stock comparison or nothing but mere emotions... certainly didn't stem from blistering street performance.
There are quite a few full wt 3700+ pound 10sec 7mgte powered pigs running around. Full weight airconditioned 5 speed cars. What happens if/when they spray (nos), and adapt other/or run built($$$$) toyota automatic transmissions that *drastically* lower ETs.... like all the fast mkIVs run. You're talking about daily driven, deep 9sec monsters - thats 2J territory. Not 1J. I've never seen any 1J come even close to accomplishing that. I haven't seen any street 1Js making 6-700+ ft-lbs torque to the wheels on boost only, as the 7s do. Have any of u guys ?

So the 7 has a headgasket issue, big deal. MHG & ARPs, done. Never look back.
Yes, my buddys 1J had two crank pulleys come apart.
He realized the stock manifolds/twins were useless junk if seeking performance, so he deliberately boosted them till they 5hit the bed. Unfortunately, somehow debris scarred 2 cyliners in the process.. yep, afterward he admitted it was a dumb move. Should have just thrown 'em in the trash can where they belong in the first place.
At least folks have ran/dyno decent numbers with inexpensive ct26 upgrades.
Reminds me of the u.s. sr20 guys that swap out the 2.4L ka24de motors labeling them as 'junk', then get destroyed by turbocharged KAs.... outta make one feel dumb, eh
1J and 7M are both darn good motors. Each will always have their fans. I'd never replace a 7 with a 1J if I was after a 10sec(or faster) daily driver. Why ?
'Don't believe da hype'
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 11:24

Allan

Laughing

It wasn't an acusation nor was i pointing fingers, but the lack of torque on the HB bolt will result in a buggered keyway, which will result in a loose (and no longer balanced) pulley.

Which after much movement can have a tendency to get nasty. I'm only offering that this is a possible scenario in the event of poor workmanship. (And i would suggest a large portion of toyota apprentice mechanics wouldn't know how to put one back on)

oh and stuck up yes, god's gift to myself more like it. Laughing
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=ed_ma61 wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 16:22]
Jag7799 wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 10:15

[quote]
yeah yeah, hows about you produce some REAL statistics before shooting off your mouth. and no, regurgitating crap youve 'heard' from forum after forum does NOT count.

please read the tech section rules again lad:

Quote:

PLEASE do not simply regurgitate what you've overheard or read somewhere else, and call it your 'expert' contribution to a thread. Posts like this simply propagate misinformation. If you think you can refer someone to relevant web resources, by all means do so, but please do not make an independent 'statement of fact' about an issue unless you can substantiate it.

If people didnt regurgitate crap thats been said on this forum that is false.. this forum probably wouldnt exist..
The fact is that all forums have this, someone makes a claim and everyone runs with it.. happens everywhere in life(hell it happenned about 15 times with my conversion alone where people said certain things wouldn't work, sorry... not wouldn't.... WONT!)
and IF this didnt happen...there would be about 1/10th of the posts on this forum that there are now....

Im not having a go, merely pointing out.. and my information was factual.. who's going to argue with me that every 7m owner on this forum hasn't changed the head gasket or doesent plan to..
i know at least 5 people in person with 7m's and all have replaced head gasket...
fact enough?
5/5=100%

anyway.. i wont be reading the rest of the posts from this topic as I am going away for a few weeks.. have fun
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 20:56

If people didnt regurgitate crap thats been said on this forum that is false.. this forum probably wouldnt exist..and IF this didnt happen...there would be about 1/10th of the posts on this forum that there are now...

wow, 9/10th less crap!! what a concept!

wait, wait, let me do my maths - that would mean a relative 10 fold gain in useful posts Confused

anyway - like i said, yes 7m's have issues. but we are a very 'select' poluation from which you can draw sample data. i dont doubt for a second that 7m HG failures exist in number in the real world... all im asking is to CUT THE CRAP when i comes to dishing out 'facts' and advice.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7m = more torque, stronger bottom end once you get past pistons, better turbo with more room for play. better turbo upgrades, cheaper to upgrade.

id actually like to see in a straight line race a STOCK 100% 7mgte ma70 vs a 1jzgte Jza70.
Doubt thered be much in it, the extra 40hp the 1jz provides is bollocks when thrown against 7m torque.

this is also why v8s cain turbos in drags - TORQUE Wink
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but a 1j makes more power and more torque from the factory.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on paper yes.

look at the torque curve though, 1jz beats it in "peak" torque. 7m has more low down torque.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair enough. Very Happy

i guess there just aint no replacement for displacement Evil or Very Mad
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 20:51

7m = more torque, stronger bottom end once you get past pistons, better turbo with more room for play. better turbo upgrades, cheaper to upgrade.

I'm not trying to stir shit here, but what evidence is there to support 7M's having a stronger bottom end once the pistons are changed?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 21:08

.....but we are a very 'select' population from which you can draw sample data. i dont doubt for a second that 7m HG failures exist in number in the real world...

Ed, don't ruin the illusion with common sense or statistics.

7Ms are shit. They blow up all the time.

All 1Js shit the ceramic turbine wheels and destroy the engine due to reversion of the fragments.

Using this wonderful logic, one would wonder why we would be interested in cars at all.

quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Sun, 08 August 2004 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all racing will boil down to dollars and displacement.
I've watched friends battle it out with stock and mildly modified... 2 7mgtes u.s spec mk3(1auto, 1 stick) vs 2 different jspec 1Js mk3 (both automatic). The 1J cars always win.... maybe why folks term them "superior".
Its when you reach the limit of the twin turbos, get into moded ct26s and what not, thats when the gloves come off and the picture changes. Go standalone, header, big turbos, etc. and the 7 will run with the best of em - mod for mod.
Take a peak at supra forums to see what kinda power guys get from stock 7m pistons. They're not weak by any means, with proper tuning. Some of them run 20psi+ daily, on very high milage motors also... thats the mark of a solid motor.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Mon, 09 August 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 22:58

look at the torque curve though, 1jz beats it in "peak" torque. 7m has more low down torque.

Not so. Stock for stock, the 1JZ has the superior torque curve. It's not all about displacement you know (your bogan roots are showing Razz ) - those teeny little turbos work wonders!
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Mon, 09 August 2004 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 1jz crankpulley sheared off, but the serpentine belt kept running on the rubber stump that remained! True toyota reliability. I only noticed something was wrtong when the air-con didn't work properly - I checked the engine bay and saw the outer rim of the pulley lying under the engine Shocked . It had done 40,000kms since the timing belt was changed so I doubt that's the issue. At least the crankpully didn't start wobbling and wear the crankshaft like it did on my 7m Laughing

And my waterpump blew a seal as well - you virtually have to take the timing belt off to replace it so it's a bastard of a job.

Although both these problems were a pain in the arse, I never had to take the head off the engine to fix them.

Never had an issue with the turbos, but I only ran standard boost levels on them (stock y-pipe/exhaust). I agree the PCV setup is a bit bodgy, mine did some funny things sometimes.

I think a stock jza70 would flog a stock ma71 down the 1/4 mile, but never having seen them race it's only be my opinion. If I was to do the conversion again I'd use a 2jz - but the degree of difficulty with that is a fair bit higher.
SoarerFury
Regular

April 2004

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Mon, 09 August 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got a mz20 soarer, with the 7m, its such a grunty engine, its great, the japanese say " like rocket acceleration " but the headgasket shit its self. ive heard of these things going at 10000kms, why don't people tighten stuff properly.
i've got myself shipped a racing headgasket, some toms headbolts and headbolts from japan,not sure what brand they are, but they cost a packet, add about 20 ibs more torque on the head, and u got a strong engine
u can get over 1000 hp in a 7m gte. 7m range was derived from a truck engine.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Mon, 09 August 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can get over 1000hp from a 202 if you throw enough money at it (and yes it has been done), so that doesn't mean a whole lot. Razz

As for the truck engine comment, people commonly refer to the 7M as a truck engine because of its long stroke design but it's strictly tongue-in-cheek. I'm not aware of any trucks fitted with an M series engine, ever. However if you have evidence to the contrary I'd like to see it!
SoarerFury
Regular

April 2004

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Mon, 09 August 2004 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now that we know, if u dont know the 7mgte suffers from the headgasket problem, DUE TO BAD HEAD TORQUE , its a fact, this is the #1 outcome from this problem.

once its fixed, why would it go again. u can blow any engine up!
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Mon, 09 August 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well there is a good question.

has anybody blown a headgasket on a 7m AFTER they have gotten a new one that has been retorqued properly. is it 72ft/lbs? I thought I read that somewhere? anyway I don't have a 7m Smile

can we just say that both engines have their strengths and weaknesses?

I would like to see the stock ma70 vs jza70 race though Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Mon, 09 August 2004 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The JZA70 was the fastest of the MkIII Supras from the factory, that's already a known fact!
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Mon, 09 August 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Mon, 09 August 2004 12:13

well there is a good question.

has anybody blown a headgasket on a 7m AFTER they have gotten a new one that has been retorqued properly. is it 72ft/lbs? I thought I read that somewhere? anyway I don't have a 7m Smile

can we just say that both engines have their strengths and weaknesses?

I would like to see the stock ma70 vs jza70 race though Smile

A few of the Seppos seem to still have problems even after the retorque. But there are a number of things that can help it along too.. I never had a problem with the HG on my 7M when I had it once it was retorqued. It finally expired with bearing knock at 265,000kms But they are an old engine with old roots dating back to the 50s with development for the 2000GT. The JZ engine is better all round and you only need to drive one.

Stock for Stock the JZA70 is 1 sec faster than the MA70. It's been tested over and over in Magazines and also the specs for the Cars from Toyota. The 7M is a good engine, it's a good workhorse but you can't really push it much more without ALOT of re-engineering due to the motor itself being a pushed 2M from the 60s.

You can't argue with Evolution guys. Build a bridge and welcome to the 21st Century.
spans
Regular

January 2004
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Mon, 09 August 2004 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just out of curiosity, what kind of air-con problems were you having ? My air-con keeps cutting out every now and then. Especially when the heater is on, it will just stop and blow out cold air.

Although I dont think its the crank pulley since i change it with a new one abnout 5000k's ago and its still there ... I think .. car is at the clutch place atm so I don't know for sure Smile

Maybe it's just the heating element having a sad...
Rattlehead
Regular

May 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Mon, 09 August 2004 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spans wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 00:43

Just out of curiosity, what kind of air-con problems were you having ? My air-con keeps cutting out every now and then. Especially when the heater is on, it will just stop and blow out cold air.

Although I dont think its the crank pulley since i change it with a new one abnout 5000k's ago and its still there ... I think .. car is at the clutch place atm so I don't know for sure Smile

I got that exact same problem.
Use to be fine tho...now I just keep a jacket in the car.

I'm going the 1JZ route coz I'm under the impression it's more reliable than the 7M - plus its faster.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Mon, 09 August 2004 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have no problems with the heater in my 1jz. I just give it a bit, and the warm air from the turbos comes into the cabin via the gearshifter Smile I know its not the conventional way but its all good for a weekend car.
JZA70_R
Regular

December 2003

Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Mon, 09 August 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm yes at times it does get pretty warm on the firewall, nice to get your feet nice and toasty on those winter mornings, there is a little "switch" in the engine bay, it is a vacuum switch for the heater, might want to check and see if that is working I just had that problem thats all. If you wanted you can just take out the switch for good and do it that way if you wanted it just means that it is always on, you can still control it on or off in the cabin.

Just on the JZA70 vs MA70 topic there are a few MA70's where i live, so i do get to race a few, some are just light tunes and some are standard but i must say that i do seem to win alot.... not meaning to gloat though...

Also (not meaning to hijack thread) but what have u got done to yours span?

[Updated on: Mon, 09 August 2004 23:58]

lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Tue, 10 August 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spans wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 00:13

When I first bought my car it had this problem (bodgy heater cutting out/not working), and it wasn't the VSV for the heater (although that's the first thing to check) it turned out to be the climate control panel in the dash. Although we tested it according to the TSRM and it was fine, simply swapping the old one over for the one in the half cut got it working. We were scrathing our heads a bit, but I've heard of a few other people having this issue as well.
spans
Regular

January 2004
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Tue, 10 August 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will the panel out of a 7M halfcut work in a 1J ?

If it does I might go grab one and give it a shot, if it isn't too expensive that is. Otherwise, I'll just statrt bashing it until it decides to work again Razz
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Tue, 10 August 2004 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep - my original one was an ma70, then it had a jza70 one and now the new owner has put a ga70 one in it coz the jza70 went a little dodgy, and a couple of the leds inside it had gone!

Try to find some-one else willing to swap theirs for a while to see if that's it before buying one.

dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Tue, 10 August 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah you can add me to list of supra's with dodgy heaters, My valve doesn't work, but i bypassed that and got hot air for awhile, but now it seems to just come out cold, unless you really force that climate control switch to the right side, but as soon as you let go the air comes out cold again. Would love to fix the dam thing! seems like a hell job to remove it too. I'm after a working one if anyone has a spare.

I'm close to getting a jza70 half cut, Now i am just curios if i had the JZA crossmember, fitting a 2jz would be pretty simular to fitting a 1jz right? what makes it harder then putting a 1jz in? is it all in the wiring that makes it hard?
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supra jza 70 vs ma71 Tue, 10 August 2004 23:57 Go to previous message
dingaling wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 21:55

Yeah you can add me to list of supra's with dodgy heaters, My valve doesn't work, but i bypassed that and got hot air for awhile, but now it seems to just come out cold, unless you really force that climate control switch to the right side, but as soon as you let go the air comes out cold again. Would love to fix the dam thing! seems like a hell job to remove it too. I'm after a working one if anyone has a spare.

It's not too hard to get out - the rubbery console panel section unscrews easily and then pulls out (it's clipped in as well), then it's only 4 screws to undo (from memory). Less than 30 mins work.
There must be some way of fixing them, but since I had another one handy I didn't care.

As for the 2JZ swap, a couple of people have done it one here also try http://www.supras.nl for some information. Keep in mind that they are going from RHD import engine to LHD Supra so it's harder than a RHD to RHD swap like you'd do in Australia.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 August 2004 23:59]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3tgteu in FWD?
Next Topic:who's lowered an ST184 and put on 17"s ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:00:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011104106903076 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.