Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Wed, 18 February 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Terminal goes straight to battery (ie, 14.4V output), and plug goes to charge light and a few other things (god knows what tho)
  Send a private message to this user    
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Home mechanic war stories Wed, 18 February 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charge light was the downfall of my conversion

damn alternator won't charge the battery without the resistance from it!
commander
Regular

January 2004
Re: Home mechanic war stories Fri, 27 February 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ribbo wrote on Fri, 28 June 2002 02:17

I didn't put the oil sender cable on very tight so got a shit of a fright when I looked at my oil pressure and it was at 0 ahhhhh.

I also left a spanner in the engine bay to a big thump and clang as I was driving my newly installed GE. Thought something had blown up.

no no man...
not me, but my dad,
ah shit that's the wrong quote....

anyway

Ages ago when I was 15 I was out having a look at my dad work on the camry. He was trying to fix something in the engine bay and asked me to start it up for him. I jumped in and turned the key with the car still in first gear! Needless to say I gave my dad a good whack on the knee with the front bumper and made him rather unhappy

that one...
so ,, you know, the remote car starter.
so he's fixing the shocks if i remember..
he's rolling around, with the starter in his pocket.
starts up, vrooommmm, and run's him over.

he ran himself over.... he's old.... kinda stupid... you know...

anyway.... the funny thing is,,, that was the SECOND time.

you think a guy would learn..................

smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Fri, 27 February 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
commander wrote on Fri, 27 February 2004 14:00

that one...
so ,, you know, the remote car starter.
so he's fixing the shocks if i remember..
he's rolling around, with the starter in his pocket.
starts up, vrooommmm, and run's him over.

he ran himself over.... he's old.... kinda stupid... you know...

anyway.... the funny thing is,,, that was the SECOND time.

you think a guy would learn..................

AHAHAHAHA Laughing Laughing , my mate had that remote car starter and started his car in the locked garage forgeting it was in First Gear, we heard a huge bang from under us Embarassed Laughing .
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home mechanic war stories Mon, 08 March 2004 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hate turbo oil lines

Trying to change the compressor half of my brother's starion turbo, and the bloody oil line is bending my spanner (yes, I know I should have better spanners, but I cant afford them)

not really a war story - just had to bitch to someone
chubbylover53
Regular

April 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Sun, 21 March 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Mate of mine was changing over the spark plugs on his triumph, he was so excited to get it started, he crossed the thread on one of them. Razz the engine was running for about 30 seconds when he saw the sparkplug go flying out of the engine and throught the roof of his garage. Shocked the engine has a compression ratio of about 11:

now every time he puts new spark plugs in he takes great care
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

Re: Home mechanic war stories Mon, 26 April 2004 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehehe....

It's amazing that ppl the world over are soooo alike. all these stories sound just like the stuff we yell about when hanging out over here!

Like Rob was welding the rear axle back into his 4x4 truck and set the dry grass on fire..... along with 2 parts trucks.
Other buddy Bill got mad and tried too hard - the pieces of his ring gear almost came out through the diff coverplate - so out came the torch to try to get the teeth to hold long enough to get him home!
Too bad gear oil is flammable....

I dunno if I should even start on the list of what I've seen people do to themselves trying to install stereo! I'm glad I didn't have to learn *everything* the hard way! Freak
FreaK
Regular

September 2002

Re: Home mechanic war stories Mon, 26 April 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oop
forgot

I have a high heat tolerance. That's what made me think of welding/ but it was the SPARK PLUGS! lmao. Y'all know what snowmobiles are? I had/have one. an old single-cylinder 300cc twostroker.
that i put fuel under the plug to start when it gets stubborn.
one REALLY cold day it was stubborn, so I put some premix under the plug, threaded the plug, and away i went. but i didn't tighten the plug. lol. about 5k from home out a snowy trail, vroom turns to *BLAAAHHHAAAGGG* and i stop.

Cold fingers plus heat tolerance means that i had a hold of a hot spark plug long enough to get some neat burns! I was about to start threading it back in when the heat registered and i flinched.
Thus tossing a hot $10 platinum plug into snow nearly a meter deep.

I put in a spare and went home. lol. Freak

PS - I've also set myself on fire when welding. It was nice that someone pointed it out before i got too hurt! ;p
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Home mechanic war stories Mon, 26 April 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I blew a stereo up. i installed once in my holden ute connected it all up and wen't to turn it on and next i hear this crack noise had a look to see what it was and there was smoke from behind the head unit. luckly was only a cheapy but still scared the hell out of me couldn't figure what i did wrong so, i wired another one up and nothing happened and this time it worked. so i must of wired something wrong but i payed alot more attention whilst installing it. the second time another time i was mucking about with the idol speed with the ute and decided to have some lunch, so i shut the bonnet and come out about 15 mins later and go to pop the bonnet open and what happens?? bloody cable snaps!! bloody holdens!!! really felt like kicking the car that day, driving about to a mechinic to open the bonnet so i could wrap a bit of wire around the bonnet realise so i could open it. the bloody things stalling at every light or stop sign, because the idle speed was set to low, got there and well those problems were sorted out but thought, i'll drive about with a bit of wire sticking out of the grill. some idiot must not of like that idea as i saw some one try and cut the wire at aa shopping center. wankers so i decided to get a bonnet cable didn't really wanna but.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 August 2004 05:57]

SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Sat, 07 August 2004 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Mon, 26 April 2004 17:45

I blew a stereo up i installed once in my holden ute connected it all up and wen't to turn it on and next i hear this crack noise had a look to see what it was and there was smoke from behind the head unit luckly was only a cheapy but still scared the hell out of me couldn't figure what i did wrong so i wired another one up and nothing happened and this time it worked so i must of wired something wrong but i payed alot more attention whilst installing it the second time another time i was mucking about with the idol speed with the ute and decided to have some lunch so i shut the bonnet and come out about 15 mins later and go to pop the bonnet open and what happens bloody cable snaps bloody holdens really felt like kicking the car that day so driving about to a mechinic to open the bonnet so i could wrap a bit of wire around the bonnet realise so i could open it the bloody things stalling at every light stop sign because the idle speed was to set to low got there and well those problems were sorted out but thought i'll drive about with a bit of wire sticking out of the grill some idiot mustn't of like that idia as i saw some one try and cut the wire at aa shopping center wankers so i decided to get a bonnet cable didn't really wanna but

Shit, I got through the first six words and gave up. Here, "!?,.;" use as many as you feel are necessary there's plenty to go around.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Home mechanic war stories Sun, 08 August 2004 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SeptemberSquallIndustries wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 02:06

mick wrote on Mon, 26 April 2004 17:45

I blew a stereo up i installed once in my holden ute connected it all up and wen't to turn it on and next i hear this crack noise had a look to see what it was and there was smoke from behind the head unit luckly was only a cheapy but still scared the hell out of me couldn't figure what i did wrong so i wired another one up and nothing happened and this time it worked so i must of wired something wrong but i payed alot more attention whilst installing it the second time another time i was mucking about with the idol speed with the ute and decided to have some lunch so i shut the bonnet and come out about 15 mins later and go to pop the bonnet open and what happens bloody cable snaps bloody holdens really felt like kicking the car that day so driving about to a mechinic to open the bonnet so i could wrap a bit of wire around the bonnet realise so i could open it the bloody things stalling at every light stop sign because the idle speed was to set to low got there and well those problems were sorted out but thought i'll drive about with a bit of wire sticking out of the grill some idiot mustn't of like that idia as i saw some one try and cut the wire at aa shopping center wankers so i decided to get a bonnet cable didn't really wanna but

Shit, I got through the first six words and gave up. Here, "!?,.;" use as many as you feel are necessary there's plenty to go around.

Fuckin hell I wrote that a while a go I'll see if I can edit it?
silly
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Home mechanic war stories insult to injury Sun, 08 August 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was under the sprinter using a half inch ratchet to get the clutch slave cyl bolts out. one was stupidly rusted tight. i eased on it progressively. i knew it was gonna snap. it snapped and the ratched hit me in the face. to add insult to injury i snapped and easy out and drill bit in the hole. only cost 40 bux for engineer to fix tho. rule - dont use easy outs
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Mon, 09 August 2004 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we were heading out to town 1 night and we had just decided that this girl would be designated driver . She needed an auto car so we took my sister pulsar . Ths oil light had come on so not wanting to get me clean white clothes dirty we pulled in2 a servo a late night servo and got them to check the oil and top it up. About 2/3kms down the rd we see smoke. i know it was oil smoke by the smell i thought the servo guy had spilled a bit. So the smoke keeps comming so i'm thinking "how mch did he spill" and people in the car were getting worried so to shut them up we pulled over and i opened the bonnet to prove there was no fire. ONLY TO GET SHOWERED IN HOT OIL !!! The servo guy forgot 2 put the cap on. We went back to my place and i got changed. I had to ride 20 mins in my boxers so i didn't dirty my sisters car. Then we went back to the servo and made them clean the motor . We got to 2 hours late but we still had a good time.

I've got heaps more like faging around the padock in my 120y i went down this bank and it got stuck (1 rear wheel in the air) so i leftit in gear and got out to look . When i got out the car moved and drove on me i caught it a swear 1 to 1 1/2 metres from hitting this huge window of the house.
2tg-ta22
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: Home mechanic war stories Tue, 10 August 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
today at work i put a castor bush in the wrong way.... luckily could save it cos for a new one it was 156 bux, also got the spring compressor stuck in the spring, also got the spring compressor stuck in the spring again n had my head in the wheel arch n it went bang n moved back into place but i hit my forehead at the same time, also on the same job i dropped a spring that was in the spring compressor (luckily it didnt let go)... that all within 3 hours at work today....
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: Home mechanic war stories Thu, 12 August 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one of my mates was puting a tacho on the dash of his 1200 datto thrash and bash, so he just thought " oh, ill just put it directly onto the top of the dash ". retard drilled in some self tappers to mount the thing and also drilled through some wires in the dash unknowingly. he went back inside for a min, and when he came back his car was filled with smoke coming from under the dash. Laughing needless to say he quickly grabbed the nearest insulated screw driver and unscrewed the thing!!!
lets just say that he learnt to check before putting screws into dashes.
amazingly, no 'damage' was done, as it started, and everything electrical still worked exactly as it should.
Rolling Eyes
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Home mechanic war stories Sat, 14 August 2004 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought some 2nd hand rims with tyres of my neighbour today. I drove for about 40 mins to my uncles place intending to change the wheels since he has a hydraulic jack and stands and etc.... when i finally got there, it was raining heavily all the way till it was dark.
i decided to just borrow the tools frm him and change it in my place since i lived in an apartment and have covered parking. 40 mins later when i finally reached home, i called 3 of my other hse mates down to gimme a hand.
Anyway, finally started to undo the tyre and fit in the new wheels. After all the trouble, i found out that the nut for my wheels are too big for the new rims!!! All those trouble for nothing!!! now i have to wait till monday to buy new nuts. Its making me nuts!!!
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Thu, 19 August 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was tightening the positive terminal with a ratchet at a mates place, as i was coming down on the clicks of the ratchet its touched the negative terminal. gave me the biggest fright of my life. made the biggest sparks, there was even an arc mark on the end that touched the negative terminal. can't remember if it hurt, i'm pretty sure it did hahaha
Don't think i handled it enough...

Second story,
I was out and had to tighten a bolt, only had pliers in the car, so i started tightening it by rotating the pliers, i was squeesin pretty hard on the pliers as it kept slipping, as i've done it the pliers have slipped and i didn't realise my finger from the pinky was actually inbetween the pliers and i got my finger jammed inbetween the handles.. My finger went NUMB as but i was SOOO pissed off, it fucking killed... So i kept tightening the screw after a few swear words, same thing happened 15 seconds later on the exact finger, i was absolutely PISSED off Laughing Laughing Laughing Couldn't believe it happened twice, i did it even harder this time Sad
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Thu, 19 August 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did u get a blood blister ?
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Fri, 20 August 2004 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah not as yet, it was on the nail so it hurt even more...
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Mon, 23 August 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well this morning I got up, started my car and was sitting there waiting for it to warm up a bit.. Now I remembered I had got some apple flavoured freshner for the car but realised I didn't have a spray for it, it was just in a bottle, Now I wasn't thinking straight this morning and decided to pour a few drops into the top air vents so that when I turn the fans on it will spread the smell all around Very Happy

A few seconds later I hear this weird arse noises coming from my speakers, Laughing Laughing Laughing
Something must have shorted coz it smelt like burnt wire, possibly even burn't speaker; I couldn't stop laughin. The speakers were making these really unusual noises, I think the speaker wires might have touched part of the metal plate which holds the cd player in place, the noise would go higher as u rev the engine; Now i'm hoping I haven't just destroyed my cd player because that is directly above the vents I think; It should be ok Smile

I just thought this was a hilarious story and wanted to share it with u!

Cool Cool

Tonight I am gonna have to take the dash out and redo the wiring I think!

Benno
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Home mechanic war stories Wed, 25 August 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I heard about a guy who wants to put a bracket of some description under the rear of his car. Out with the battery drill to make holes for the mounting screws. He drills the first hole and when he pulls the drill out FSSSSSSSSSSSS! He's drilled through the boot floor into his spare tyre!!!! Laughing
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Wed, 25 August 2004 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A few years ago now I was soldering on the upstairs balcony of my old house (yeah, you know what's coming Draven & Ashling). I can't remember what exactly - i think it was a head unit for my old bomb of an exa. Anyway, it was early morning so I was pretty much in my boxers. The phone starts ringing so I get up and answer it. 5 mins later I come back out to the balcony to finish the job.

I'd just stepped out onto the balcony when I trod on a small stick. As I'm sleepily reaching down to toss the stick off the balcony, I realise that what I'm stepping on feels REALLY cold - like ice. I get a look down at it and see a glowing reddish/blue soldiering iron - at this point the pain kicks in. A VERY loud expletive is followed by me lifting my foot up VERY quickly, only to have the soldering iron stick to the bottom of my foot. At this point I should point out that I was in fact barefoot.

I literally screamed, and ripped the soldering iron off my bare foot (with many more expletives) only to see little sizzling chunks of skin still stuck to the iron. Boy did it stink.

Next my brother comes into the room to see what all the noise is about, and see's me hopping and yelling and cursing about the soldering iron, and starts laughing at me (as brothers do). Anyway, called the hospital, got instructions on burn treatment - watered and padded it down. My brother totally freaked out - he didn't realise how bad it was, and he was so very apologetic afterwards Smile I couldn't walk for about 2 weeks (didn't take all that long to heal really) but it was tender for a while after. Left an AWESOME scar. A big purple line about 10mm wide and 100mm long.

The doctor said the reason it felt cold was because the iron was so hot it totally destroyed the nerve endings. The pain I felt after a second or two came from the nerve endings around the burn as they started to get burnt too. Pretty hardcore stuff. I wish I'd got photo's now - it's times like this when posting them up would be cool!

-J-
da_horse
Regular

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Sun, 12 September 2004 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh story reminds me of a soldering incident a few years back...not as bad tho...

i was doing some soldering for some circuits, cant remember what but i was doing it on my desk, soldering iron on one hand, lil component in the other and phone jammed between my ear and shoulder. anyway talking to girlfriend, totally forget that i'm holding a soldering iron, next thing i know i go to hold the soldering iron (hot end) with the other hand...a second or two later i feel this burning feeling look at hand scream a huge F**k and drop the iron. girl thinks i swore at her and hangs up. next day i show her my hand Laughing

xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Home mechanic war stories Thu, 07 October 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woke up early in morning, flushed coolant system, put in new one in... done and drove around an entire day
and this is when i JUST got my liscence, so i was trying to heel/toe revmatch heavily all day long and stuff. went home. parked it.

decided to go to petrol station, went the longest route, sucessfully for the first time did heel and toe properly, bought magazine, on the way driving home, raced an aw11 mr2 and excel, got home, slowly driving in the drive way of my car... and it stalls. turned it on, stalled again... didn't know what happen.. then it wouldn't turn on at all? finally got it turned on, parked it, told dad and he say he would check it out tomorrow.

woke up in morning, dad asked where's the radiator cap Shocked
ran back 2 metres from my car and found it, all squashed and stuff.

now everytime i take a cap off my car, i make sure it's on and on TIGHTLY. too bad my car has a blown gasket and bubbles now and idling below 0.8k
jacek
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: Home mechanic war stories Thu, 07 October 2004 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha Sorry I dont have a story but I'd like to point out that I think I now know the reason why people keep fire extinguishers in their car. Laughing
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Home mechanic war stories Fri, 08 October 2004 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some people on here will already know this one, but back when I had my troopy, I was doing an oil change on the bohemoth.
Now, the only oil changes I had done before this were on rotarys so I went and got an old oil container and funnel and positioned it under the drain-plug (gotta love clearance!).
I took out the drain plug and watched the filthiest, blackest, most foul looking oil I'd ever seen flow into the container..... Which was filling up..... very quickly....
In my stupidity I hadn't thought of the fact that this beast takes around 11 litres of oil, even though I had just bought that much from Auto1!
So I panicked and tried to put the sump plug back in, and of course got diesel oil all over my arm/face/shirt and in my hair.
I was pissed, but thought "Oh well, just gotta chuck out that shirt and wash up a bit more thoroughly".... WRONG. After trying to wash myself with proper mechanic's hand-cleaner, I realised that my skin had been stained black by the muck. I actually scrubbed with a brush until my whole arm was bleeding and raw.

My right arm and spots of my face were black for 2 weeks.....

ARGH Crying or Very Sad Freak
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Home mechanic war stories Mon, 11 October 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
changing the spark plugs did the first one correctly eg. spaced etc. did the rest got to the last one and thought f$ck forgot to space the other 3. so out they all come again to be done properly. not that bad though.
when installing a cd gave myself a few electric shocks
colouring_in_book
Regular

May 2004
Re: Home mechanic war stories Tue, 19 October 2004 12:39 Go to previous message
Carried out a complete engine rebuild at home on a Hyundai Excel.
Everything went sweet. Car ran beautifully, but thermos constantly on, ended up being short cicuit in fan wiring, repaired.
Driving around to test my work, auto wouldn't shift properly, after a few minutes of thinking and re-checking auto fluid, decided it was electrical. Asked my mate whether he had hooked up the pulse generator harness to the correct plug? Yes he said...but no he hadn't. Hour wasted there.

Give car back to friend and told him to return it the next day for a check up and just to change the run in oil. ........ every single fucking welsh plug was leaking.

To make it worse, had to remove exhaust manifold, so there was a new gasket.
Had to remove inlet manifold, there was another couple of seals.
Then, had to remove auto to get to the rear welsh plug.
Then also found that the rear new main was leaking, so then I had to modify a new seal and fit that.

Then had to replace to coolant that was drained out of the cooling system.

Cost: what ever had to be rplaced because of removal. Sad Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad
Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Anyone know someone in sydney with a 2 door r31 skyline?
Next Topic:1500-3000rpm 1,2,3,4 beat aVN
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 19:35:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071249008178711 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.