Toymods » Tech & Conversions » whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
marty16
Newcomer

August 2004
whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Sat, 07 August 2004 08:22 Go to next message
hey ppl.

i am looking at putting a 20v black top into a clubman. i was wondering if anybody could steer me in the direction of a cost effective, good engine management computer for this. should i go with microtec or wolf3d or something different.

cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Sat, 07 August 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
micro tech LTX-8 maybe
marty16
Newcomer

August 2004
Re: whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Sat, 07 August 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thankyou evan, i'll look into it, what price roughly would one of these be?

cheers

[Updated on: Sat, 07 August 2004 08:56]

CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Sat, 07 August 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try to get the factory ecu cheaper in the long run
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Sun, 08 August 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CelicaRA45 wrote on Sat, 07 August 2004 20:33

try to get the factory ecu cheaper in the long run

and why is that??? fuel economy?? horse shit!
20v's love microtechs, they out power the factory ecu, drive just as well and use less fuel,

i have a cusomter with a NA supra who it getting better economy since i tuned his microtech than what he ever got with the factory ecu...

Dale
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Sun, 08 August 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure. Toyota spent thousands of manhours and millions of dollars developing something that could be superceded in every way with a generic product and 2 hours on a dyno. Laughing

The factory ECU is your best bang for buck option.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Sun, 08 August 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah but 10sec_rx7 deals microtech so he knows that they are better than anything else out there.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Sun, 08 August 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 18:49

Sure. Toyota spent thousands of manhours and millions of dollars developing something that could be superceded in every way with a generic product and 2 hours on a dyno. Laughing

The factory ECU is your best bang for buck option.

you want me to give you his email address so you can ask him for your self??

it makes more power than the foctory ecu, uses less fuel and drives the same if not better than the factory ecu.

have you tuned any microtechs?? do you know how to tune them?? have you installed them?? i bet not...

i can get 8l/100km out of a 13bt making 420 to the tyres, when you can do that then you can talk...

Dale
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Sun, 08 August 2004 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what bout HALTECH?

10sec_rx7: i know toy do micro but can you tune hals aswell???
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Sun, 08 August 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not going to get into a ecu debate!

i have tuned plenty of haltechs before everything from f9's to e6x's

dale
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Sun, 08 August 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10sec_rx7 wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 21:21

have you tuned any microtechs?? do you know how to tune them?? have you installed them?? i bet not...

You bet correctly. I installed a Motec M800 on my atmo 2JZ and am very happy with the result. I wired up the standard ECU(s) on my 1UZ and also happy with the result.

I did much research when choosing my aftermarket ECU as I had very specific requirements. The Microtechs available at the time didn't enter the running.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Sun, 08 August 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not trying to start a debate and therefore am not going to take this further. i just mentioned HALTECH casue thats what i got in my '22
Pewee
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Sun, 08 August 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow it got heated in here didn't it.

i would suggest one of the top three. Haltech, Autronic or Motec.

True the prices are a little high but you will be VERY happy with the result.Just remember that a computer is only as good as it's tuner.

My experiences with microtech or as it's known in the trade as "Dribletech" or "electronic carby" is they can give good power results and good driveability on full throttle however they suffer greatly on light throttle and idle and coldstart.

Now if the car is for street or circuit it is crucial light throttle tune be perfect.Imagine coming into a corner holding 4500rpm at light throttle keeping the car settled the engine pops or back fires constantly. Very annoying.

If the car is for drag full throttle is all you'll use microtech perfect.

The reason is microtech lack the amount of tuneable load points which are the load the engine sees at different rpm that you can actually tune.
now if your at a load point between the ones you choose the computer works out a figure inbetween the figures you input.
Not good for drivability.

the top three all have many more load points and also User defined load points which means you can pick to move the load points to tune not just the ones the computer gives to you .

Sorry for the long post but i got on a bit of a role. any questions??

Nathan
TheGecko
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Sun, 08 August 2004 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marty16,

If you're putting the 20V into a clubman is it replacing an existing engine or is this a new build? If it's a new build are you intending to road register? If you are, then unless you're in TAS, NT or WA you probably won't get a 20V registered with anything other than the factory ECU (and in NSW even that could be problematic). Talk to your approving engineer first.

If you aren't constrained by having to meet ADR emissions requirements then I'd say any decent quality aftermarket ECU that can handle MAP and has an RPM-triggered output to drive the VVT.

Hope this helps,

Dominic
(who is building a mid-engined clubman with silvertop 20V running gear)

P.S. I am unable to believe that an aftermarket ECU will give better economy than the factory one FOR AN UNMODIFIED ENGINE. If the engine has been modded (exhaust, inlet etc) than all bets are off for the factory box.
marty16
Newcomer

August 2004
Re: whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Sun, 08 August 2004 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx heaps for the replies guys. i got lots o info outta it and i'll actually look into sticking to the factory ECU in the mean time.

cheers again!
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Sun, 08 August 2004 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pewee wrote on Sun, 08 August 2004 22:09

wow it got heated in here didn't it.

i would suggest one of the top three. Haltech, Autronic or Motec.

My experiences with microtech or as it's known in the trade as "Dribletech" or "electronic carby" is they can give good power results and good driveability on full throttle however they suffer greatly on light throttle and idle and coldstart.

Now if the car is for street or circuit it is crucial light throttle tune be perfect.Imagine coming into a corner holding 4500rpm at light throttle keeping the car settled the engine pops or back fires constantly. Very annoying.

If the car is for drag full throttle is all you'll use microtech perfect.

The reason is microtech lack the amount of tuneable load points which are the load the engine sees at different rpm that you can actually tune.
now if your at a load point between the ones you choose the computer works out a figure inbetween the figures you input.
Not good for drivability.

the top three all have many more load points and also User defined load points which means you can pick to move the load points to tune not just the ones the computer gives to you .

Sorry for the long post but i got on a bit of a role. any questions??

Nathan

dude do you know what you are dribbling on with?? microtech have exactly the same load points as a e6k and e6x haltech both the e6k and e6x are not user definable, the haltechs have 16 bit processors, microtech have 32 bit processors,

i have no problems tuning microtechs to give great mid range throttle control, perfect idles, perfect cruse,

the thing that shits me with forums is that all you people sit here and bag something out when you have never installed them, never tuned them, let alone spent countless hours on dynos tuning them, im on the dyno most nights messing with something, i have tuned everything from microtechs to motecs, the only ecu's i would be putting on any car is a microtech, autronic or motec, the rest are not worth the case they are in...

Dale
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Mon, 09 August 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you please highlight where anyone actually made reference to a Microtech before you entered the frey with your ridiculous rant? Rolling Eyes
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: whats a good engine management systen for 20v BT Mon, 09 August 2004 00:28 Go to previous message
hmmm 2nd post,

i really dont care what you think, i have proved many times that microtech are the BEST value for money ecu, i have 20 or so customers that are members of toymods who are all very very happy with the tunes i have done on there car,

not once have i ever said that microtech are better than motec or autronic, everything has its place! but for a street car you would be wasting the $2500+ you spent on a M800...

Dale
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:let it sit or turn it off?
Next Topic:SA 63 motor options ??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 14:14:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065860748291016 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.