Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
power steering pro's/con's Thu, 05 August 2004 07:49 Go to next message
never been sure about power steering, but some people some to think its great other say its junk....whats good and whats bad about it?
  Send a private message to this user    
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: power steering pro's/con's Thu, 05 August 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pros of p/steer

if u run fat tyres, then its good
u can drive like a homie and do 360 turns with a finger only

Pros of no p/steer

if u have flabby triceps, good workout
more feel for the car
girlfriend wont want to drive it as too hard
one less thing to go wrong in an old car

.. thats all i can come up with 4 now

why u ask ?
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: power steering pro's/con's Thu, 05 August 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it makes parking sooooo much easier, nicer to drive with.
but takumis will say that it dampens the feel of the road, and slows the delivery of precious tofu
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: power steering pro's/con's Thu, 05 August 2004 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I learnt to drive with power steering on a 2002 Camry Touring manual and it has no feel. Just twirl and hope. My first car is a Corona Rt142 without power steering and because it is fairly light 1 tonne have no prob even when going slow. Far better feedback and you can judge what is and bad for the car. As for turning circle it is tiny. I live in a small culdesac and can make it round with cars on both sides unlike some people with pulsars that have powersteering and have to do three point turns.
If in doubt dump the throttle and tighten the turning circle even more (just kidding)
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: power steering pro's/con's Thu, 05 August 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i read something in the 'car to learn drift' thread about it i think it was a con about it...
and just wondered if everyone on her likes/doesnt like it...
my sister rekens her corona only had about 50% of power coming out of corners because of the power steering
for a young guy with a rough car i dont mind not having it at all it definately feels more real than my mums pajezza
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: power steering pro's/con's Thu, 05 August 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

and you can judge what is and bad for the car.

good point, too many people are learning on cars with power steering, the amount of people i see turning the wheels of the car without moving in car parks is ridiculous
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: power steering pro's/con's Thu, 05 August 2004 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How is that bad ???
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: power steering pro's/con's Thu, 05 August 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
putting huge stress on all your steering componenets plus ripping ur tires aross the road cant be good...
amwtoy
Regular

March 2004
Re: power steering pro's/con's Thu, 05 August 2004 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm driving a loaner R33 from my mechanic at the moment and the steering is so smooth when i was rolling it out of the servo i pretty much turned onto the wrong side of the road. I find it scarier than my RA40 because it feels like i'm oversteering all the time. That said it's probably just a matter of getting used to it. I think it's like the difference between auto and manual - they both get you there the same speed in the end, but you do need to play the pedal differently.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: power steering pro's/con's Thu, 05 August 2004 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a r33 donor car...hmmmm....whos ur mechanic so i can brake my car
amwtoy
Regular

March 2004
Re: power steering pro's/con's Thu, 05 August 2004 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah tell me bout it! I was stoked! But there is a longer story to that - they royally screwed up my head so now they're being nice to me so i'll still come back Wink
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: power steering pro's/con's Thu, 05 August 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting thread you started Jesse, very interested to keep hearing peoples opinions on this.

I currently have a non-power rack in my RA28, but about to embark on 'version 2' of my rack n pinion setup and am very tempted to put a power rack in.

I reckon it will lose some feedback, but the advantages I see is I can run shorter steering knuckles, more castor, and wider tyres. Without PS, I reckon the above would make the steering Very heavy.

But I haven't decided yet.. So yeah, keep the ideas coming Smile

Cheers
Joel
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: power steering pro's/con's Thu, 05 August 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pros:
Piss easy to do a U turn in a tight street
No effort involved in turning

Cons:
Dont have as much feel for the road
Try doing a U'e in a tight street...great workout(which is good) Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 05 August 2004 11:31]

Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: power steering pro's/con's Thu, 05 August 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In SW20's I'd never want power steering. Engine in the back, and the weight is pretty close to 50-50 sot its not too heavy. Give great feel for the road. I also must say the SW20's turning circle is amazing.

For something more luxobargeish like a lexus or soarer I'd say with a bik 6 cyl over your steering it'd be damn hard without p/s.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: power steering pro's/con's Thu, 05 August 2004 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Everyone complains about power steering not having enough "feel", but this generalisation doesn't always hold true; it depends on the car and how the power assistance has been set up! For example, I've driven my Supra with and without power steering and I can tell you it has just as much feel either way; the only difference is the amount of effort required to turn the wheel (which at parking speeds is quite a lot without P/S). With the P/S working the steering is sharp, responsive, has lots of feedback, and is superior in every way to the fully manual steering in my Celica. In short, I'm a big fan of power assistance, provided it's done correctly!

By contrast, I've driven late-model Camry's and Commodores and the power steering on those cars is a totally different story. Way too much power assistance, next to no feedback, totally dull and lifeless. Of course the designers set it up that way on purpose - your average mum and dad types like super-light steering that requires next to no effort when parking at Woolies. Those sort of people couldn't care less about steering feedback or responsiveness.

So in short, power steering can be good or bad, and manual steering can be good or bad!
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: power steering pro's/con's Fri, 06 August 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Provided there's less than 700kg (or so) over the front wheels, I'm a huge fan of non-power assisted steering. True, there's good and bad "feeling" power steering setups, but none can match the unfiltered flow of data pouring from a well setup unassisted rack. Power-racks with a failed pump don't count b.t.w, as the rack is still damped by the fluid in the hydraulics.

Assuming the front suspension's caster is about right, an unassisted rack will automatically correct oversteer if you simply release the steering wheel. How neat is that!?!?!!!
Another benefit for driftmeisters is the unlimited speed with which the wheel can be ripped from lock to lock. A P/S setup is limited by how fast the pump can force that fluid into the rack.

For the less sporting driver, yes: power steering is grouse, coz it makes the carpark a breeze to negotiate, and filters most small bumps out of the steering wheel's feedback.

For people who are interested however, a "naked" steering rack is pure gold, as it leaves you in no doubt about EXACTLY how the front tyres are interacting with the road.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: power steering pro's/con's Fri, 06 August 2004 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Fri, 06 August 2004 10:27

Power-racks with a failed pump don't count b.t.w, as the rack is still damped by the fluid in the hydraulics.

My rack had no fluid in it, and no lines attached, so it wasn't damped by anything. I maintain the steering had just as much feel with and without the power assitance working.
Quote:

Assuming the front suspension's caster is about right, an unassisted rack will automatically correct oversteer if you simply release the steering wheel. How neat is that!?!?!!!

An assisted rack will do exactly the same thing... I used to do this in my Supra all the time when the P/S was working. Once again it depends on how the steering is set up; quite a lot of cars with P/S run little or no caster, hence the self-centering effect won't work.
Quote:

Another benefit for driftmeisters is the unlimited speed with which the wheel can be ripped from lock to lock. A P/S setup is limited by how fast the pump can force that fluid into the rack.

This is true, but modern engines with a sufficiently large pump have no such problems. It might be a different story if we're talking AE86's with weenie P/S pumps though. Laughing
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: power steering pro's/con's Fri, 06 August 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Progressive power steering was nice on the Supra (post 88 ma70's/71/jza70). It has a solenoid that switches the power assistance off when you are above 60km/h. But them you need the computer to run it with an input from the speedo and output to the solenoid. So you get the assistance when low speed cornering without the floaty/light feel at higher speed.

Bradelz
Regular

June 2004
Re: power steering pro's/con's Fri, 06 August 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
power steering is a cu*t in old cars like my crown but can be useful in old heavy cars - although my old ms65 doesnt have pwr steer and never came out with it and it seems eeasy to steer than my ms85..... but power steer is good
brad
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: power steering pro's/con's Fri, 06 August 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Takumi has got power steering,

so it must be good.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: power steering pro's/con's Sat, 07 August 2004 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my Holden ute I had (81 WB) did not have power steer, it was pretty light to steer but at parking speed whoa! fuck that was alot harder to park then the Camry, the only thing I dread about power steer is how much will it cost to fix if mine ever decides to die ,I don't think it would be cheap? Never replaced before and hopefully I never will have to either
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: power steering pro's/con's Sat, 07 August 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jessetamsett wrote on Thu, 05 August 2004 18:21

putting huge stress on all your steering componenets plus ripping ur tires aross the road cant be good...

Yeah, my driving instructor called it "dry turning", and it can leave bald spots on you tyres and ruin your steering if you do it too much.

But then, most people on the road don't know or care about how their car operates. Even a lot of enthusiasts wouldn't have a clue.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: power steering pro's/con's Sat, 07 August 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Sat, 07 August 2004 12:13

jessetamsett wrote on Thu, 05 August 2004 18:21

Yeah, my driving instructor called it "dry turning", and it can leave bald spots on you tyres and ruin your steering if you do it too much.

But then, most people on the road don't know or care about how their car operates. Even a lot of enthusiasts wouldn't have a clue.

Laughing yeah, thats very true that, people do stuff with out realising what it does to the car.
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: power steering pro's/con's Sat, 07 August 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my corolla used to have power steering when it had a 4Ac but i ditched it when going to the GZE. mostly for pipe and mount complexity its was quite nice with the power steering and had very good feedback still but the manual rack now is a struggle sometimes when putting 100HP+ to the wheels torque steer is about as much feedback as you will get and its still controlable
even with a 13 inch steering wheel its not too bad in the parking lot.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: power steering pro's/con's Sat, 07 August 2004 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont like p/s, tooooooooo lite and i personally prefer the better feel. you can sense whats happening on the road where as p/s just dampens everything and you lose that feel for the road i recon. i have driven so many diffeent cars and will always prefer no p/s.

TURBO RA28: i wouldnt go the p/s mate! dont over modernise the car and kill the essence, but thats my opinion only.

im never gonna p/s the '22 not even for track use either, if you get non p/s set up just right its better than anything. and most of all you never have to worry if it leaks/fails/breaks/seals go/changeing it in an accident etc etc etc

with no p/s have a small accident and spend $20 on 1 tie rod instead of changing the whole thing
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: power steering pro's/con's Sun, 08 August 2004 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Thu, 05 August 2004 18:04

it makes parking sooooo much easier, nicer to drive with.
but takumis will say that it dampens the feel of the road, and slows the delivery of precious tofu

gold!
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: power steering pro's/con's Sun, 08 August 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only reason to have a manual rack in this day and age is if you cant afford power steering! even race cars use it unless they are historic or cant change it! to give you an example!if you loose the car you will have more chance of regaining it with power steering. why , it is more precise and works works better with less effort.
mick
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: power steering pro's/con's Sun, 08 August 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
p/s is for pussies
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: power steering pro's/con's Sun, 08 August 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that said... does anyone have a p/s set up for an ra65 celica ? hehehe Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: power steering pro's/con's Sun, 08 August 2004 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've driven both and I've found absolutely no benefit in the cars I drove just because some had power steering and some had none. I'm with Norbie on this one, some power steering setups are horrible i.e. my old Starion. Other power steering setups I'm a big fan of, like in my RA60 and my GA61. Both feel great and are still telling you what the hell is going on.

To highlight this point I will direct you to the current range of Porsche cars. Every one of them had power steering...yet every one is praised in every review for the levels of feedback they deliver.

It's not a black and white case of power steering versus no power steering, it comes down to each individual setup.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 August 2004 15:09]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: power steering pro's/con's Mon, 09 August 2004 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well said.

Les, you have a PM.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: power steering pro's/con's Mon, 09 August 2004 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as stated you can hardly compare power steering of say a 80s supra to a brand new commodore, NEW cars have no feel and extremely light steering cos thats what people want, thats the market.

but power assisted steering is great when it is just what it says, "assisted" My corona is a dream to drive with the p/s still in there after the 1g conversion, and I have since driven a few ra23/28 celicas and cant beleive how heavy the steering is.

I drive a new commodore for work and it is good for a cushy drive but you dont get any feel cos it's not meant to, it's a big taxi not a race car.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: power steering pro's/con's Mon, 09 August 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So just for informational sake... If you wanted to setup a power steering system and retain a fairly high level of feedback/feel. How would you go about it?

Sounds like you don't use a commodore rack. Or is it more so the size of the pump etc?

Thanks
Joel
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: power steering pro's/con's Mon, 09 August 2004 03:56 Go to previous message
It's mostly in the rack itself, but the length of the steering arms will also have an influence - the shorter the better of course. Other little things can make a difference too, eg the way the rack is mounted to the crossmember (a more solid connection means more accurate steering with sharper feedback), and of course plain old steering geometry (caster, scrub radius etc).

The P/S pump has little to do with it; its job is simply to provide high-pressure hydraulic fluid, and this pressure is regulated by the internal mechanisms of the steering rack which I won't even pretend to understand. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Need Springs compressed
Next Topic:spraybooths in melb??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 11:29:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061628818511963 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.