Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Running really rich...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Running really rich... Sun, 08 August 2004 03:46 Go to next message
Any ideas why my 18rgeu runs really shitty and extremely rich when the AFM plug is connected, yet when I disconnect it, the idle goes up, and it no longer runs as rich? It dies when throttle is opened even a little bit, when AFM is disconnected, but seems to idle alot better, ie no plumes of black smoke...
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Running really rich... Sun, 08 August 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check your coolant temp sensor is hooked up and working correctly. Also check the cold start injector, it could be stuck open.
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Running really rich... Sun, 08 August 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I disconnected the fuel inlet to the csi, no difference. The engine stops outright when the coolant temp is unplugged, and it reads a resistance of 2.4KOhms at the moment, engine cold. Another thing, should the car idle for more than a minute with just the amount of fuel primed from a few seconds of cranking?

The reason I ask is because I am fairly certain the fuel pump isn't operating when I disconnect the afm. Could residual pressure idle the engine for so long?

Also, when I jumper the fuel control pins on the afm plug, the idle goes to shit again, and starts running rich. Problem with fuel pressure regulator?
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Running really rich... Sun, 08 August 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds just like what i am experiencing
Sad

disconnecting the afm should stop the fuel pump from turning on, because the afm is what closes the circuit opening relay once the engine is started. so without it nothing is keeping the pump on once the engine has started.
2.4kohms sounds about right when cold.
surprising to run for so long, id should die much sooner than one minute...
id say regulator (in my case i am thinking the same fault).
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Running really rich... Sun, 08 August 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the fuel pump is triggered by the AFM. Unplug the AFM and the fuel pump stops. There will be enough residual pressure in the lines for the engine to idle for a minute or so.
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Running really rich... Mon, 09 August 2004 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are fuel pressure regulators for the 18rgeu fuel rail as forgiving as other parts, in that I should be able to source one from any 2L efi toyota? Or am I going to have to find an 18rgeu specific fuel pressure regulator?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Running really rich... Mon, 09 August 2004 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a compatible FPR on some other Toyota engine. Try a 22R-E for starters.
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Running really rich... Mon, 09 August 2004 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Righto, off to the wreckers then. Thanks for the help and patience.
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Running really rich... Mon, 09 August 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PS. Just measured return rate, with the car barely idling because of the rich condition, the return line from the pressure regulator was putting out about 2.4 L per minute. Can anyone confirm this may be my problem, i'm assuming if the regulator is my problem i should be getting > 2.4lpm returning to the tank.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Running really rich... Mon, 09 August 2004 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hook a pressure guage to the supply line, thats where the money is at.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Running really rich... Mon, 09 August 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Mon, 09 August 2004 12:39

hook a pressure guage to the supply line, thats where the money is at.

I'd be checking the rail to see if the regulator is holding it at I think 40psi is somewhere in the ballpark?

Checking the pump pressure won't tell you if the regulator is working!

Cheers
Wilbo
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Running really rich... Mon, 09 August 2004 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wont putting a guage on the supply line tell you the pressure of the whole supply line including the rail?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Running really rich... Mon, 09 August 2004 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Um, yes it will. The fuel pressure will be the same all the way from the pump to the FPR. Having said that, the fuel rail is the best place to check, especially since the threaded hole for the cold start injector is the exact same thread as the sender used by most electronic pressure gauges! I actually have a gauge permanently mounted on my 18R-G's fuel rail (CSI is long gone, who needs it).
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Running really rich... Mon, 09 August 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who makes electronic fuel pressure guages?

I've been wanting a fuel guage for a while but not wanting to run one of them on the bonnet style mechanical ones.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Running really rich... Mon, 09 August 2004 06:47 Go to previous message
I just used an oil pressure gauge... it does the same thing!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:oil catch can
Next Topic:more engineering Qs - SYD
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 04:02:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060441493988037 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.