Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Numbers from this combo? (4AGE)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
su_pr_aero
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Numbers from this combo? (4AGE) Sun, 08 August 2004 12:54 Go to next message
Thoughts on what this sort of combination of parts would produce on a 16valve or 20valve?

11.3:1 Pistons
288' cams (guessing larger cams would be unstreetable - correct me if I'm wrong)
Quad throttle bodies
Headwork
ECU
Oversize valves and uprated springs.
Extractors

Do you think 200hp is achievable?

[Updated on: Sun, 08 August 2004 12:56]

Send a private message to this user    
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Numbers from this combo? (4AGE) Sun, 08 August 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My gut feeling is no, you will not quite get 200hp. More like 180hp at the very most with good tuning. But I am not the expert. And you will need to rev it all the way to 9. For 200hp, I think you will need wilder cams, more like 310 degrees, and will still need to rev it to 9000rpm. And if you want to rev it over 8000rpm for any length of time, I think you will need to upgrade the con-rods, or the con-rod bolts at the very least, and have it all ballanced. This is just what I heard...
su_pr_aero
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Numbers from this combo? (4AGE) Mon, 09 August 2004 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, so if i was shooting for 200hp, the car would become undrivable on the street? Would 304' cams just be a bitch in traffic?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Numbers from this combo? (4AGE) Mon, 09 August 2004 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here's an idea - Search for Formula Atlantic engines, and then rethink what you are trying to acheive.
su_pr_aero
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Numbers from this combo? (4AGE) Mon, 09 August 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did the search - wow, it takes a hell of a lot of work to make 240hp. Including 12.7:1 compression! Hmmmm .. methinks maybe an AE86 is not the way to go with the amount of money it would take to reach my goal of 200hp. Crying or Very Sad
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Numbers from this combo? (4AGE) Mon, 09 August 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, with the 4age naturally aspirated anyhow... could always 3sge it or force induction it
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Numbers from this combo? (4AGE) Mon, 09 August 2004 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its not the ae86 my friend
its the 4age
its not a cheap engine to get power from

maybe think the 3sge if your going after NA
OR
if you want medium power, but on a linear delivery, a 4agze
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Numbers from this combo? (4AGE) Mon, 09 August 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have 305 degree cams in my 2T-G, and that is very streetable. Plenty or torque for city driving, I would have gone for even wilder cams again if I had known. But that is a 1812cc. On sidedrafts also. You can't realy mash the throttle below 3000rpm, but still very driveable, and I beat a number of turbo cars.

I am planning something similar for my 4A-GE oneday. No cams are too wild for me on the street, I will drive anything.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Numbers from this combo? (4AGE) Mon, 09 August 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

You can't realy mash the throttle below 3000rpm

what do you mean by that mate?
just wondering cause i have a similar setup on the way...
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Numbers from this combo? (4AGE) Mon, 09 August 2004 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is typical of sidedraft carbs, that unless they are perfectly setup, they will just splutter and die if you press the throttles open right away. You have to ease on the throttle, and let the revs build natrualy before you give it too much. Realy, its just a big flat spot. It is posiable for a intelegent and knowledgeable person to tune this out with different jets and air correctors etc. Webbers are more tunable in this way I am told. Or, you can just run it a bit rich which is far easier and eliminates most problems. With a standard 2T-G, jetted just a bit rich, I got it running very nice, with almost no flat spots. But with the sidedrafts combined with the big 305 cams, opening the throttles fully below 3000rpm will just result in splutter and back fire, no power. Let the revs built natrualy to 3000rpm, then press the throttle, and hold on! Suddenly it becomes a nice smooth engine at 4000rpm and good power up to 7500rpm. (Will rev past 8000 if everything is spot on, mine is not).

With the 4A-GE 4 valve design, plus EFI, I expect you would have better drivability and torque in the lower revs with the same cams. No need for any flat spot. And the 4 valve design should give more power at the top end also. A 2T-G can only just manage 100hp/liter with about 310 degree cams and big carbs. Its not that hard to get 200hp from a 1.6 liter 4A-G due to the O2 advantage and lower reciprocating weight. The exact recipe of how I am still finding out, but I think most of it is in the cams, and computer tuning to match, and valve springs and conrods to take the rpm needed.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Numbers from this combo? (4AGE) Tue, 10 August 2004 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take a look at the old group A 4AG's - they made 195hp, so that's probably a good place to base your ideas. They used standard manifolds, only moderate headwork, not TOO big cams. There's a thought.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Numbers from this combo? (4AGE) Tue, 10 August 2004 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you say Group A, I assume you mean touring cars from mid 80's to early 90's? This is a pre-internet era! Back in those days a lot of racing specs where kept secret, and eventualy forgoten. And rumours where far less accurate.

Was there ever a proper magazine article on Group A Corollas that went around Bathurst? With engine pics and specs?

If anyone has info or pictures please let me know. I am after anything on the AE86's, AE82's and AE92's that went around Bathurst with 4A-GE engines. I think Bob Holden had a AE86 coupe. And Neil Bates drove a AE92 2 door hatch. I am talking James Hardy 1000.

I have seen one of these AE86 coupes (Toyota Team Australia) pictured in a showroom somewhere. Where is this? I want to go see it.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Numbers from this combo? (4AGE) Tue, 10 August 2004 14:32 Go to previous message
I might be able to help a bit - PM me if you're interested.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RT133 Strut upgrade
Next Topic:Engine Conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 26 14:30:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.10657596588135 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.