Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Removing Spigot bearing 4age

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
icon8.gif  Removing Spigot bearing 4age Mon, 09 August 2004 03:50 Go to next message
I'm having a hell of a lot of trouble removing the spigot bearing from my 4age...

So far i've packed it with grease and tapped a bolt through... about 50 f&*king times! All it has managed to do is push grease through the rollers, pushing off the bearing cap along with some broken bearing cage Mad

any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Removing Spigot bearing 4age Mon, 09 August 2004 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I seem to remember levering it out with a screwdriver. Or use a set of pliers, or vicegrips, or a hammer (the bigger the better).

Good luck
Hen
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Removing Spigot bearing 4age Mon, 09 August 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm... I've given it a bit of leverage with a screwdriver but it wont budge... Just been to motor traders and repco and they dont have a tool for it, motortraders lists one for $200 Confused not paying that to replace a $6 bearing
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Removing Spigot bearing 4age Mon, 09 August 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont use grease.

get some cardboard and wet it.
keep packing it in
and then find a bolt the same size as the hole in the spigot bearing, keep packing and tapping it in until the spigot bearing comes forward.
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Removing Spigot bearing 4age Mon, 09 August 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks bugman... didn't work though Confused
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Removing Spigot bearing 4age Mon, 09 August 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought a decent bearing removing tool for $30 from TradeTools. You should be able to find one from a local tool shop.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Removing Spigot bearing 4age Mon, 09 August 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just smash it wit a cold chisel throught the centre then tap it ( the outer ring ) 180 degrees and drive the chisel throught the centre to split it in half and pop it out, make sure you rotate the outer ring 180 or youll end up scoring the seat when you try and do it quickly with the chisel.
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Removing Spigot bearing 4age Mon, 09 August 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slide hammer with a hooked end. should rip it out with relative ease. hook it in and start sliding
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Removing Spigot bearing 4age Mon, 09 August 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I borrowed the one from the clutch place i got the bearing from, it was only $5 to borrow.

Cheers

Steve
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Removing Spigot bearing 4age Mon, 09 August 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the bearing removal tools that I've looked at wont do the spigot bearing as the hooks wont fit through it... I'll give IRA11Y's idea a go... mainly because I really feel like smashing the bastard to bits
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Removing Spigot bearing 4age Mon, 09 August 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobertoX wrote on Mon, 09 August 2004 21:06

the bearing removal tools that I've looked at wont do the spigot bearing as the hooks wont fit through it...

You need to get a smaller version then. I bought mine specifically to do the spigot bearing on my 2T.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Removing Spigot bearing 4age Mon, 09 August 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobertoX wrote on Mon, 09 August 2004 21:06

the bearing removal tools that I've looked at wont do the spigot bearing as the hooks wont fit through it... I'll give IRA11Y's idea a go... mainly because I really feel like smashing the bastard to bits

The tool i used was a dedicated spigot removal tool. It was designed to have small hooks.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Removing Spigot bearing 4age Mon, 09 August 2004 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you should just keep adding more and more cardboard.
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: Removing Spigot bearing 4age Tue, 10 August 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i removed a spigot from a 4M yesterday. i got an old ratchet that just fitted in the hole and beat it side to side and up and down and it came out within five minutes.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Removing Spigot bearing 4age Tue, 10 August 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We used a slide hammer to remove one before... worked after a while! the hooked end barely fitted in the hole though. Brute force and ignorance will always win Razz
3sglevin
Regular

November 2003
Re: Removing Spigot bearing 4age Tue, 10 August 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The best way I know of to remove these is get some plasticine, and a shaft of some kind the same size as the hole in the center of the bearing. Stuff the plasticine in and drive it in with a hammer and your shaft, add more plasti and hammer away, the hydralic preasure will push it out. Easy! Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 10 August 2004 03:45]

Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Removing Spigot bearing 4age Tue, 10 August 2004 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from my lack of experience with the spigot, I just say hit the F*#ken thing harder
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Removing Spigot bearing 4age Thu, 12 August 2004 00:20 Go to previous message
Thanks for the response guys, Came out yesterday with a slide hammer... no more horrible noise when clutch is in Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:S13 front struts--->AE86
Next Topic:Rear sway bar, RA40
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 11:22:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046179294586182 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.