Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 18R-C Hot Up???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chris_RA40
Occasional Poster

May 2002
icon5.gif  18R-C Hot Up??? Sun, 26 May 2002 23:52 Go to next message
OK, just to consider my options what do you all think of this as a plan?? Im thinking of a rebuild on my 18R-C, new pistons, rings and bearings. I want to get some help with the following ideas;

A new carby (maybe dual throat from XF falcon?)
Extractors
Advance the timing?
Run unleaded (can i do this using upper head lube in my fuel?)

I dont want to spend much, and i dont expect a rocket, but a bit better than stock would be nice. Any help you guys can recomend would be appreciated,
cheers,
chris.

(this is to get me through about a year untill i can afford a 1G-GTE or somthing)
  Send a private message to this user    
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18R-C Hot Up??? Mon, 27 May 2002 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

A new carby (maybe dual throat from XF falcon?)
twin SU's would be a better idea get a couple off an old Rover V8
and then get a couple of V manifolds made

Extractors
sounds good

Advance the timing?
you need to retard it as unleaded its a lower octain then LRP

Run unleaded (can i do this using upper head lube in my fuel?)
18R-c has hard valve seats from the factory
no need for that flashlube crap

Allan
celica28
Regular

May 2002
Re: 18R-C Hot Up??? Mon, 27 May 2002 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I f you want more poke I have a pair of factory down draught manifolds to suit an 18R-C.

Phil
(Celica2Cool
chris_RA40
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: 18R-C Hot Up??? Mon, 27 May 2002 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what sort of carbies will bolt up to the manifolds? I would be very keen to get hold of the manifold/s (do you need one or two?)How much do you want for them and where abouts are you?
Thanx heaps,
chris.
celica28
Regular

May 2002
Re: 18R-C Hot Up??? Mon, 27 May 2002 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The standard twin barrel carbies will bolt straight onto them or you can use adaptor plates to run something like holleys. You will need 2 of them aas they are individual units. I would like $100 for them (neg) and I am in Canberra.

chris_RA40
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: 18R-C Hot Up??? Mon, 27 May 2002 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, cool. 100 dollars seems good for me. So if i rip another carbie off an 18R-C at the wreckers i can bolt them both up to the manifolds? that sounds cool then. Would i need to come and pick them up or can they be sent to me? thanx man,
cheers,
chris
celica28
Regular

May 2002
Re: 18R-C Hot Up??? Tue, 28 May 2002 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Give me a call after 8.30pm tonight on 0412 699 144.

1jwunder
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: 18R-C Hot Up??? Tue, 28 May 2002 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK...WARNING.!!!!!!!!!....hold it there.

I have been there, done that, with poor increases in power.

I would say get an 18rg twin cam transplant and start from there, but if you insist......

The major restriction here is in the breathing of the engine. I rebuilt my engine with higher compression, a warm waggot cam, and a jetted carby. Fuel consumption was up 50% with small power increases...bad news. The cam I had in there was also not freindly and I could not get the car to stop back firing. i then pegged that cam, put back in the old one and it actually had more power.

Bang for bucks......this is what i would do. Leave the standard cam until the last mod.

1. get a set of good extractors as the existing manifolds are junk!, put through a good 2.5" exhaust. (biggest gain)

2. If you are creative, I've always found quad carbs to run well, and I made some for a civic using 2 sets of 750cc motorbike carbs....worked very well. Otherwise, a custom intake manifold (other major restriction) with a weber or similar. Go for something simple and easy to tune, bugger off the auto choke if you have one for a manual.

3. Prior to a new cam, port the buggery out of the head....and lastly get a warm/hot item knowing that your fuel bill will go up significantly.......

This will cost you in the order of $1000-$1500, so think about it carefully, you could spend that on a newer celica for that.

Be aware that you will still not get much of a power increase as this engine is not balanced especially well, and you will only see power gains in the high revs. I have a supra twin turbo now, so sometimes it is better to wait to work on a high tech engine.

Otherwise...have fun!
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 18R-C Hot Up??? Wed, 29 May 2002 11:55 Go to previous message
Chris,

You know there is a reason that nobody does this anymore !! Its not really worth the money. Still if its what you want go for it !

I have had the pleasure of driving a VERY warm 18R-C. We are talking side draft 45mm weber extractors Custom head work including oversize Valves (Holden Red motor from memory) Oversize Pistons at 10.5:1 Compression Blue Printed and Balanced bottom end. Lightened flywheel and a pretty lumpy cam. It was a dead set pick at low RPM but god damn it Hauled !!

For the money tho. A 1GG series conversion or an 18RG would be my personal choice.

BTW Twin Carbs are a PITA to Balance and keep in tune. If you really wanna do this personally I would recomend fitting a Single side draft carby. Linx make a manifold for this and they are still in business. Try looking for "Redline Performance" they are near the City around Parramatta road somewhere. New manifold will prolly cost you around $150 Bucks !

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Possible broken gearbox linkage
Next Topic:4A-GZE in an AE92???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 15:53:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0032410621643066 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.