Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Seam Welding & Stitch Welding Mon, 09 August 2004 13:41 Go to next message
Hi Guys.

Before anyone says anything, I've had a search and managed to find only >one page< with any real information on the topic. This is one of the few topics I haven't got 2c to contribute on, so I was hoping you could help me out.

I've currently got a car that's stripped to buggery, and was thinking I might take the opportunity to complete a a cheap upgrade. I've had a look into it, and with the limited information I've found, seam welding appears to be "the go" for any car, particularly an older one. The cheapest way to stiffen it up, basically free, and invisible too.

I was wondering if anyone could offer any information of experience on the topic, or point me in the direction of any such details. The car in question will have approximately 3 times the factory power output and will be used for street driving, occasional drag racing and 6-weekly circuit sprints.

Thanks guys,

Leigh
  Send a private message to this user    
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Seam Welding & Stitch Welding Mon, 09 August 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
basically you want to be seam wealding the structual parts of the car, and then the joins in the chassis where the factory spot welds are, now you also idealy want to be focusing on the front half of the car since this where most opf the forces and twisting is, With all that torque, braking cornering going on!

now take into consideration when seam welding a car that heat can distort things, So wire wheel the seam that you will weld and be sure to remove all the factory seam sealant. you may have to use a chemical of some kind.

then, when you have cleaned it you're ready to weld, run a smooth seam of weld about 5cm long, then move to a cooler part of prepared seam and weld there, then rotate between the to as to not focus too much heat in one area

appart from that, thats really all i can offer! Laos take the opportunity to weld in some extra bracing under the car Wink
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Seam Welding & Stitch Welding Mon, 09 August 2004 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Well I have stitch welded and seam welded on my car. It is importnat not to get carried away with the seam welding as you don't want a car that can't be straighted after a little dingle.

That said I completely seam welded all load baring junctions and the like. Though I did talk to some guys who could point me to wear all these places really were - it's common sense now that I look back at it.

Some people stitch or seam weld all around the front windscreen area and the like as well (windscreen is out of course), but I thought that was going a bit far for a road car!

I have just done the floor pan\unitary part of the car.

Cheers
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Seam Welding & Stitch Welding Mon, 09 August 2004 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have read a story on the build up of a seam welded Jap AE86 racecar. Basically is as the above two have said. They would weld a bit in one area, then move to the other corner of the car and weld a bit there. This meant thermal stresses didn't build up in one area at any time.

I have also heard it said that stitch welding is good because it gives most of the strength of seam welding, but if a crack forms in the weld it can only propagate through one stitch.

Always wanted to do this to a car some time, but never have had a suitably stripped car to use.

Hen
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Seam Welding & Stitch Welding Mon, 09 August 2004 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henn wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 01:32

I have also heard it said that stitch welding is good because it gives most of the strength of seam welding, but if a crack forms in the weld it can only propagate through one stitch.

Yup, all the rally guys I've spoken to have said use stitch welding, NOT seam welding. Maybe not so much an issue for a street car, but it seems to make sense anyway.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Seam Welding & Stitch Welding Tue, 10 August 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One trick is that you really need both an oxy and a mig to do it nicely. You need to point the oxy under the seams and run over them with a wire brush to get all the impurities out of the seam before you hit it with the mig.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Seam Welding & Stitch Welding Tue, 10 August 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with what was said above. You should not seam weld anything on the car, everything should be stitched welded.
If a crack appears in a seam weld it will continue to crack through all of the weld. Whereas with a stitch, the crack will only go as far as the one stitch it formed on.
paddles
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Seam Welding & Stitch Welding Tue, 10 August 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know what happens on a car without a cage to give it stiffness, but we have fully seam welded rally cars and have had no hassles with cracks forming in seams. We also welded it in one go, not in small welds to let it cool, we did however do all our seam welding after the cage was installed so this may make a diference. Agree with cleaning the seams out as much as you can though and use a little burner or an oxy to burn and then pick the filler out of the seams before you wire wheel them. Only weld from strut tower to strut tower though, 'cos any small front or rear end bingles will be easier to pull out without the welds. Interesting theory on only doing stitch welds though, it sounds reasonable to me, has anyone out there had full seam welds fail?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Seam Welding & Stitch Welding Tue, 10 August 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paddles wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 20:46

has anyone out there had full seam welds fail?

Yes! However not on a car. But on boats this is a common problem.
paddles
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Seam Welding & Stitch Welding Tue, 10 August 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alloy or steel?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Seam Welding & Stitch Welding Tue, 10 August 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Both.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Seam Welding & Stitch Welding Tue, 10 August 2004 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Although alloy is more prone to crack around the weld than through it.
paddles
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Seam Welding & Stitch Welding Tue, 10 August 2004 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah? wow, we've had cracks start in bizarre places like down the firewall from where the brake booster bolts on, and creases form through the floor/tunnel and wacko stuff like that but have been lucky and never had a seam weld split. Why does the alloy split around the weld? is it cos the heated section of alloy goes brittle?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Seam Welding & Stitch Welding Tue, 10 August 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure if its because of the alloy being heated or just simply that the alloy is soft and flexes under less vibration that what the weld does.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Seam Welding & Stitch Welding Tue, 10 August 2004 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paddles wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 21:08

Why does the alloy split around the weld? is it cos the heated section of alloy goes brittle?

Electric welding causes farily large increases in hardness in aluminium. The only way to weld aluminium without increasing hardness is by using a gas welder..
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Seam Welding & Stitch Welding Wed, 11 August 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
really not much point without a cage but if you want to just stich between all seams and use a tig as it burns the drip-check out from between the joins. it will take you a couple of full days to do it properly. once the car has been done make sure you clean and under coat everywere you weld. just finnished doing an misushitty evo7 for circuit,had a week to seem weld it and make a cage for it, thank god it was only 16 point cage. got to love plasma cutters for notching in a hurry!
mick
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Seam Welding & Stitch Welding Wed, 11 August 2004 03:28 Go to previous message
Welding alloy locally heat treats it, so the area around the weld will be harder than the nominal alloy properties. This creats a hard point which will actually attract load. it will normally crack around the heat affected region, not in the weld itself.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:vacuum at idle
Next Topic:4age oil cooler pics
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 06:14:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059990882873535 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.