Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3tgteu in FWD?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Silent_AW10
Occasional Poster

July 2004

3tgteu in FWD? Tue, 10 August 2004 07:16 Go to next message
hello.

im wondering if a 3tgteu will fit in FWD config? i was thinking of modifying either a E-51 or E-53 box to run with it. are these engines bigger than a 3sgte?

the 4AG in my corolla has died and i have a 3tgt so i wana DO IT lol!

any problems i might run into?

i can make engine mounts and have them welded in my a certified welder, i can get the trans modified to fit, i'll ditch the powa steering unit and A/C as the car has neither.

what do you guys think?
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3tgteu in FWD? Tue, 10 August 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nothing's impossible, but this is WAY more effort than it's worth. T series engines were never built in FWD config so you're looking at custom everything.

If you want more power, get a 4A-GZE like everyone else - it bolts right in!
Silent_AW10
Occasional Poster

July 2004

Re: 3tgteu in FWD? Tue, 10 August 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh norbie to the rescue again!

heres my problem norbie, a 4agze will cost me $1500 NZD then i gotta buy a ecu and loom....i already have a 3tgteu, loom, ecu and knock sensor, and afm.

i have a gearbox of my choise for $150 regardless of what model it is m(any toyota FWD box for $150 seems great to me)

welding and fabrication i can do myself, i have a ta63 X member i can modify to fit in the FWD confing and im good with modding looms.

so really i se this as $150 for box, some welding spool cost of modding bell housing and alot my my own time. all up im guessing $500NZD.

so what i want to know is, what gearbox would i need and will it actually fint in the engine bay without having to cut the strut housings?

OH BTW Norbie: What year/Model celica is that you have??
Silent_AW10
Occasional Poster

July 2004

Re: 3tgteu in FWD? Tue, 10 August 2004 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
please correct me if im wrong here guys...the 3tgteu came stock with a W55 behind it, not if a guy here in NZ can bolt up a 3sgte to the W55..wouldnt that mean i can bolt up the 3TGTE to a E-53 or E-153 FWD box? i would use any of the Celica FWD box weather its from a 3sge or 3sgte. i know i would also need the drive shafts from the box i take. do i sound kinda right here?

i can get a low click manual box from a 3SGE corona for $70 lol! how long would that hold up for under a complete standard 3tgte?

i've heard of people running 3S-GTE's on the N/A box and they've held up fine?
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: 3tgteu in FWD? Tue, 10 August 2004 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would think sell the 3t and buy your self a 4agze
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3tgteu in FWD? Tue, 10 August 2004 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The main problems I can see are the bellhousing (you'll have to make your own) and the manifolds (I very much doubt the stock ones will fit or point in the right direction for that matter). That's a lot of fabrication work, but if you're keen to give it a try anyway, why not! It would certainly be a unique project.

My Celica (aka the Orange Eyesore) is a 1977 RA23. One of these days it will live again.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3tgteu in FWD? Wed, 11 August 2004 00:04 Go to previous message
In stock form the 3t-gte inlet manifold has the throttle body in the middle which might make it slightly easier in the manifold department.

But no idea what the exhaust / turbo might interfer with.

Also its quite a long motor,the 3tgte is around 40mm longer than a 3s-gte and the 3s-gte is larger in capacity!

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1 G-GTE RT104
Next Topic:Supra jza 70 vs ma71
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 20:07:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0040881633758545 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.