Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Help! glowing red exhaust

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Stinky
Occasional Poster

August 2004
icon5.gif  Help! glowing red exhaust Tue, 10 August 2004 12:35 Go to next message
hi,
the other night after a drive the car started to miss fire and lossing power badly. car wouldnt idle or any thing.
got out to check what was wrong all i could see was the cat and rear muffler was glowing red hot, and i mean really glowing,
what could have caused this? its got me stoked.

ive found out why the car was miss firing, loss wires to the second coil. but still it couldnt of caused the exhaust to heat up that much.

please help
  Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Tue, 10 August 2004 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your exhaust is probably blocked. If it's got a cat, it's most likely pieces of it that have broken loose.
Stinky
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Tue, 10 August 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the cat should be fine it still quite new, the whole exhaust is new.
its driving fine now.
normally even when i trash it it dosnt get that hot
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Tue, 10 August 2004 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stinky wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 22:44

its driving fine now.

Well, it was probably due to your coil wires hence insufficient spark hence excess fuel going through the exhaust and igniting in the cat which makes stuff go bang and hotness is imminent.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Tue, 10 August 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 22:51

its driving fine now.

Well, it was probably due to your coil wires hence insufficient spark hence excess fuel going through the exhaust and igniting in the cat which makes stuff go bang and hotness is imminent.

And can kill your cat pretty quick.
scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Tue, 10 August 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
had this prob once when got a new exhaust on my ta22. cause i didnt flush out the fuel tank from the engine conversion still had some leaded fuel in wich fu@# the new cat. maybe someone has put the wrong fuel in your car.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Tue, 10 August 2004 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tho if it's your entire exhaust manifold and turbo doing that after a quiet country cruise ... i'm your man (been there, done that).. .actually, it's then because you motor is running too lean and the overal engien timing it way too far retarded.

Stinky
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Wed, 11 August 2004 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi,
i think you are right 'AE86slut'
thanks cause it did look like it was burning to some degree.
ill try make sure it doesnt happend again.
Quite scary watching it burn.
thank a million.

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Wed, 11 August 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 22:51

its driving fine now.

haha engrish
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Thu, 12 August 2004 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 23:45

tho if it's your entire exhaust manifold and turbo doing that after a quiet country cruise ... i'm your man (been there, done that).. .actually, it's then because you motor is running too lean and the overal engien timing it way too far retarded.

This is definately another possibility, but there doesn't sound like there's anything that would have caused a lean-out to that degree.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Thu, 12 August 2004 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chuckster is very likely correct with the timing being too retarded.
This is the main reason that I have watched extractors glow read before the engine has even reached temp (the other times red exhaust has been noted are when on the dyno with mega boost and when I ran the 18RG out of water at 160Km/h)
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Fri, 13 August 2004 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YelloRolla wrote on Thu, 12 August 2004 23:58

Chuckster is very likely correct with the timing being too retarded.
This is the main reason that I have watched extractors glow read before the engine has even reached temp (the other times red exhaust has been noted are when on the dyno with mega boost and when I ran the 18RG out of water at 160Km/h)

The extractors glowing due to a lean-out yes, but I'm not so sure about after the cat.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Fri, 13 August 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
extractors glowing red due to timing being too retarded - ie the fuel is being burnt too late and not much heat is being expended pushing the piston down the bore and it is still burning as it goes out of the exhaust (exaggeration).

If it were that lean that it made that much difference to exhaust heat then the engine would barely to run (if at all), instead it would "pop" it's head off.

Edit - any way the prob was fixed and clearly it was burning the fuel in the exhaust.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 August 2004 09:37]

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Fri, 13 August 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry man, I'm an idiot!
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Fri, 13 August 2004 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apparently we are in good company Wink
Stinky
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Fri, 13 August 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi guys,
im agree with the advance timing being to retarded can cause the extractor to heat up very quicky, but the turbo manifold wasnt glowing when i was check what had happend, also only the rear of the cat and the whole muffler was glowing.
the turbo manifold only glows with heat after a good trashing or crusing at high speeds on freeway. i usualy check it after, while the cars cooling down.

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Fri, 13 August 2004 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhh yes, the old advanced timing too retarded is a trap for young players.
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Fri, 13 August 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think it is more something to do with the coil.
a mate was runnin his 4agze on two cylinders cos one of the coils was fucked i was driving behind to make sure he got home alright went around a corner i just see something glowing bright red and im lik f&*k tried warning him but kept driving parked on his front lawn but as soon as i got there the car was sittin on the road quicker then you can say "man i think your cats glowing a bit to brightly" then a few abusive calls to SSS automotive and the entire problem was solved
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Fri, 13 August 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah ... this is what stupid looks like...
retarded timing, mixture unknown but thought to be slightly lean, very cool ambient air temps, cruising only, thermo fan switch not turning on:
http://www.mkhala.com.au/thechuckster/t04_red_hot_and_damage/mostly_warm.jpg
when we first popped the bonnet the entire exhaust/turbo manifold was red hot - you can still see some glow from the centre exit (siamesed pipes for ports 2 & 3).

it must have been over 600 centigrade as the heat wrap on the piping had melted:
http://www.mkhala.com.au/thechuckster/t04_red_hot_and_damage/DSCN0016_1.jpg

ohhh... jsut below all this red hot metal was oil pooling around the lip of the wastegate (from leak in turbo oil drain hose). you can see the smoke stains on the round flange that it mounts to on the second pic.

i figure we were only minutes away from a very expensive engine-bay fire.

Shocked Shocked
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Fri, 13 August 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked HOLY MOLY Chuck!

Nothing beats the time I lifted my bonnet (previous car) after a thrash to reveal a glowing turbine housing to show my mate, and he thought (or didn't think at all more like it) it would be an idea to put his hand on it.......
Ever seen skin literally 'fall off' before????

Glowing turbine housings are normal, but not the whole manifold dude!
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Fri, 13 August 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha Laughing
that manifold on the 18r Laughing
awesome
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Fri, 13 August 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

don't i know it!! Laughing

this happened at about 9pm on the way to Dubbo to the toyota nats - cost us the trip, the manifold, a tow, a mega taxi fare, a loaner car, a no-show bus, wilbo's gearbox, Cool1's sunday, etc... a major fukup.

as for your mate - thats farken insane... he still talk to you? and he got any use of the hand back after treatment? they would have been full thickness burns... Embarassed Surprised Sad
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Help! glowing red exhaust Fri, 13 August 2004 11:43 Go to previous message
thechuckster wrote on Fri, 13 August 2004 21:38

Quote:

don't i know it!! Laughing

this happened at about 9pm on the way to Dubbo to the toyota nats - cost us the trip, the manifold, a tow, a mega taxi fare, a loaner car, a no-show bus, wilbo's gearbox, Cool1's sunday, etc... a major fukup.

as for your mate - thats farken insane... he still talk to you? and he got any use of the hand back after treatment? they would have been full thickness burns... Embarassed Surprised Sad

Yeah dude, it was pretty gnarly..... God knows why he did it! Not sure how bad it was but there were some serious layers missing there!

And to answer your question, no, I'm not in contact with him anymore!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:7m-ge engine weight
Next Topic:Toyota bearing "Mark" increments
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 18:23:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062229633331299 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.