Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » PayPal users, enlighten me...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
PayPal users, enlighten me... Mon, 09 August 2004 22:09 Go to next message
I cant find plain info about paypal. It's all that lawyer mambo jambo. I don't know anyone how's using paypal so I turn to you guys.
What I want to know is:
1. where I send the money?
2. can I do the transfer as a direct account transfer?(from my account to paypal account)
3. do I need credit card?
4. What does the paypal services cost? it cant be free like they advertise their services.
5. There seem to be lots of anti paypal pages. What's that about?
6. Any alternative "paypals"?
  Send a private message to this user    
Billy-Mason PI
Regular

July 2003
Re: PayPal users, enlighten me... Mon, 09 August 2004 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.paypal.com/

I've used it once and it worked fine. I EFT transfer.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: PayPal users, enlighten me... Mon, 09 August 2004 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Jayem wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 08:09

I cant find plain info about paypal. It's all that lawyer mambo jambo.

Quote:

I don't know anyone how's using paypal so I turn to you guys.

I've used PayPal for a few years now and eBay even longer, which now owns PayPal.

Quote:

What I want to know is:
1. where I send the money?

PayPal uses any email address. So, you could send money to anyone who owns a valid email address.

Quote:

2. can I do the transfer as a direct account transfer?(from my account to paypal account)
3. do I need credit card?

You need to register with PayPal to be able to send money. PayPal requires a VISA card (there's a couple of others, but I can't remember them at the moment, but they're on the PayPal website). It needs to be an internationally recognised credit card, especially as we're in Oz. Maybe they can link to accounts in the States - maybe even here, but I use VISA.

Quote:

4. What does the paypal services cost? it cant be free like they advertise their services.

They charge the receving person a fee if that person wants to get the PP money into their own bank account. However, the receiving person can "leave" the money in PP, and when they wish to pay someone they just use the funds in their PP account, without incurring a fee.

Think of PP as like an electronic bank. It relies on most people not wanting to get their hands on physical cash. Hence, all this electronic money is for PP to use and invest and play with. This is similar to most Banks, but PP doesn't have branches and face-to-face customer service.

It's very popular with eBay sellers and other types of commerce. For example, I sell something to you for $100, and I send it to you via PayPal. (If you want to take that money out, you may only get $90 'cos PP will charge a fee. And, that money goes into an account, and then you go to the bank to get the actual cash.)

If you then decide you want to buy something from another person for (say) $75 - you can send them the cash via PP. This means you will have $25 left in your PP account. Notice, that there is no fee associated with transferring PP money around the net. If you wanted to get the remaining $25 as cash, then you'll get (maybe) $20 - again 'cos of the transfer fee when removing the money from PP. If you did nothing and let the $100 sit there in PP, then PP will use it for their purposes until your take it out - just like normal Banks and Credit Unions do.

But, when you're buying and selling and the majority of your trade is with other PP members, then its cheap, cost free and easy.

Using the above example, assume you have $25 left in PP after you paid someone $75. If now you need to send $40 to another person, PP will use the $25 left in your PP account and take the required $15 from your VISA (or whatever account type you have instructed PP to use).

Quote:

5. There seem to be lots of anti paypal pages. What's that about?

Yeah, I've seen them. I've used it for a few years and have never had any issues with it. The best way to protect yourself is to get a VISA card with a very small limit. Use this card purely for PayPal.

PP gives you emails and has an account history. Also you get your VISA statements, and just check the two against each other.

It's considered a little unpolite to send someone money via PP if that person doesn't use PP. That person will have to then register with PP and give their card details to allow them to get the money into their account. Not only does this incurr a fee, it also pisses of the receiving person. However, people that do use PP are often more than happy to have the money sent that way. So, you should always ask if its okay to send them money via PP.

There's some bogus email and PP-spoof sites that try to trap people. But, PP wil always put the users name in their email instead of "Dear Member" or "Dear Customer". You get an email from PP (or your bank, if you use internet banking) that starts with member/Customer and not your own name, then shit-can it to the recylce bin - it's a bogus.

Quote:

6. Any alternative "paypals"?

Yes, there are some others, but they will require access to your accounts or credit cards so they can send the money electronically. Which is the same as PayPal! Of course, you can always go to the post office and send a money order. This costs you more due to the Post Office using an worse exchange rate and also hitting you with an $8(approx) fee for the transfer.

Hope the above helps.

seeyuzz
river
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: PayPal users, enlighten me... Tue, 10 August 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Billy-Mason PI wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 08:19

http://www.paypal.com/

I've used it once and it worked fine. I EFT transfer.

how the hell did you manage an EFT transfer in AUST? paypal doesnt consider aust bank accounts authorised for eft transfers... i just got an email from them regarding all this:

my original email:
Quote:

I do not have a credit card, is there a way of adding funds to my PayPal
account from my Australian Bank Account via EFT or some other means?

If I cannot add funds to my PayPal account, is there any other way of
sending funds that does not require a credit card?

Is my only remaining option to obtain a credit card? And if so, does PayPal
have any specific problems with the use of Australian credit cards (as
there seemingly is with Australian Bank Accounts).

paypal's reply:
Quote:

hank you for contacting PayPal. We apologize for the delay in
responding to your service request.

Unfortunately, at this present time no.

Members with an Australian home address added to their PayPal Account
may use an Australian Bank Account for PayPal withdrawals. The
following rules apply:

· Withdrawals will take 5-7 business days to post to your account

· There is a minimum withdrawal amount for withdrawals to Non-U.S.
bank accounts. To see the minimum amount in all available currencies,
click the 'minimum withdrawal amount' link on the 'Withdraw Funds by
Electronic Transfer' page

· A fee of AU $1.00 in (Australian Dollar) will be assessed for
each withdrawal to an Australian Bank Account

· PayPal will charge AU $20.00 (Australian Dollars) for returned
transfers

· Australian Bank Accounts have to be denominated in Australian
Dollars for the transfer to be successful

· Australian members may be granted a monthly withdrawal limit
when they open an account. Members must add a credit card and complete
the PayPal Expanded Use Enrollment Process to withdraw unlimited funds
to a U.S. Bank Account or an Australian Bank Account

· Australian Bank Account cannot be used to add funds to the
PayPal Account and it cannot be used for the Instant Transfer or eCheck
payment methods

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us
again.

Sincerely,
Steve
PayPal Global Services
PayPal, an eBay Company

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: PayPal users, enlighten me... Tue, 10 August 2004 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
www.paypalsucks.com

be careful

that said, a lot of ppl use it and not all of them get burnt.
Billy-Mason PI
Regular

July 2003
icon12.gif  Re: PayPal users, enlighten me... Tue, 10 August 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't remember. I thought I transferred the funds from by Bank Account to the Ebay dudes Pay Pal email address.

I'm sure it worked because I got my Gtech 2 days later Very Happy
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: PayPal users, enlighten me... Tue, 10 August 2004 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys! you have been very helpful.
Since I dont have credit card it looks like no paypal to me
although paypal looks handy. Once again poor student gets kicked in the head... Sad
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: PayPal users, enlighten me... Wed, 11 August 2004 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i received an email about paypal getting a lawsuit or something...something about those who registered few years ago till a certain date, some crap and stuff...can someone confirm with me what's that email about??
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: PayPal users, enlighten me... Wed, 11 August 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 11:29

www.paypalsucks.com

look at the site...
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: PayPal users, enlighten me... Wed, 11 August 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 09:38

PayPal uses any email address. So, you could send money to anyone who owns a valid email address.

Do I just scan the money and then send it?

Do I need to scan both sides, or is just one ok?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: PayPal users, enlighten me... Wed, 11 August 2004 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Lucid wrote on Wed, 11 August 2004 22:03

Smartass! Smile

seeyuzz
river
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: PayPal users, enlighten me... Wed, 11 August 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Wed, 11 August 2004 22:31

Smartass! Smile

Who... Me?? Shocked Very Happy
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: PayPal users, enlighten me... Wed, 11 August 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont laugh, i work on helpdesk
people try to send a fax by sticking it in the cd rom

Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: PayPal users, enlighten me... Thu, 12 August 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Wed, 11 August 2004 23:08

dont laugh, i work on helpdesk
people try to send a fax by sticking it in the cd rom

Me too, but OUCH! I've yet to come across anyone that bad.. Thankfully I've only got to support internal staff in a large-ish company - Even still some of them are pretty bad.. ARGH

[Updated on: Thu, 12 August 2004 12:37]

Cressida Chick
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: PayPal users, enlighten me... Thu, 12 August 2004 12:59 Go to previous message
Lucid wrote on Wed, 11 August 2004 22:03

Laughing Laughing wish i could pay like that with all my internet purchases....... Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:anyone here race go karts??
Next Topic:deviantart
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 17:57:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004166841506958 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.