Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
beterthenu
Regular

June 2004
RA23 convertable Mon, 09 August 2004 01:57 Go to next message
hello,
I was wondering if anyone has ever seen or herd of turning an RA23 into a convertable. i wish to turn mine into a convertable and would like to see if anyone has done it before.
Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA23 convertable Mon, 09 August 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes been done theres a ta22 convertable for sale in the for sale section
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA23 convertable Mon, 09 August 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please don't butcher a perfectly good RA23!
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: RA23 convertable Mon, 09 August 2004 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've seen them around. There's one at Celica Spares at whetheril park at the moment i think.

I REALLY don't like the look of it!

If you MUST go targa tops!
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA23 convertable Tue, 10 August 2004 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes there are convertable celicas around however i have heard you cant do engine conversions to them anymore cause the rta wont allow it

who knows but

celica john was you car at celica spares a few months back getting work done to it?

if so i seen it, great job

soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: RA23 convertable Tue, 10 August 2004 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone know the regulations/law regarding this modification, I have a wrecked RA23 at home, it would be nice to have a sunday summer car for trips to the coast Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 10 August 2004 03:42]

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA23 convertable Tue, 10 August 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the main thing with engineering is safety and structure, ie, can the car stop! & is it safe to drive incase of accident

therefore convertible is fine, but mass engine mods wouldnt be approved as the structral integrity of the car would decrease from the roof cut

personally i recon they look ugly convertible so i would also say DONT WRECK A BEAUTIFUL CAR
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: RA23 convertable Tue, 10 August 2004 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's already a wreck, Trust me, I love these cars, and I do prefer the roof on, but I have one with a roof, why not have one without a roof? Very Happy ...

I know that the structure of the car would weaken, but legally, what needs to be done, i.e roll bar, structural bracing?. to drive it on the road?,.. I wouldn't be changing the 18rc, this would be the weekend Celica,

[Updated on: Tue, 10 August 2004 05:14]

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA23 convertable Tue, 10 August 2004 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its stck as a rock and no roof then all that needs to be done is make sure no sharp edges what so ever, doesnt leak at all no matter what and once that is done

GET IT ENGINEERED Confused
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: RA23 convertable Tue, 10 August 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate,..

chill out, I was asking a simple question that you didn't clearly explain in the first place,.. Rolling Eyes

I really don't plan on doing this mod, as it is just a waste of time/money, but I thought it would be interesting to know, as I am sitting here bored shitless at work...

But thanks anyway
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA23 convertable Tue, 10 August 2004 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 15:20

if its stck as a rock and no roof then all that needs to be done is make sure no sharp edges what so ever, doesnt leak at all no matter what and once that is done

Absolutely incorrect. If you don't know the answer to a question, don't confuse everyone by taking a wild guess!
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: RA23 convertable Tue, 10 August 2004 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So Norbie,..

To your knowledge, how would you do this modification legally?

[Updated on: Tue, 10 August 2004 07:10]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA23 convertable Tue, 10 August 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'd have to speak to an engineer first; the job is different on every car so requirements will vary. Generally speaking though, engineering will require very siginificant underbody strengthening (ie big-arse crossmembers welded to the floorpan etc) and possibly a rollbar welded to the chassis.

I can assure you it's not just a case of chopping the roof off with a 9" grinder and smoothing over the sharp edges. Rolling Eyes
soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: RA23 convertable Tue, 10 August 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, I figured so much....

I knew it was a reasonably big job, that is why I questioned it when I was told it was relitively easy... Smile

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA23 convertable Tue, 10 August 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didnt mean it to say that it is as simple as chopping the roof and bobs your uncle. when cutting the roof you need to ensure that there are no structural cuts done, and the front windscreen would be a prime example. the metal aroungd the screen needs to be thick enough to be able to still hld the screen properly/structurally and at the back it is cut too low as to make the metal/shell structurally unstable there too.

so there are structural considerations required, but that goes for any conversion or job to be done - common sense

but with that considered as long as there are no possibilities of someone injuring/harming themselves while touching it and that it doesnt leak when roof on then it should be fine

at no stage did i say cut the roof and file the edges or mean to do it like that... thats just stupid
sam_
Regular

December 2002

Re: RA23 convertable Tue, 10 August 2004 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Guys,

Was going to keep it a secret until my baby was finally complete but I am a proud owner of a TA23 convertable.

Convertables MUST have much body reinforcment around the floor etc. MUST have (my celica atleast) a roll bar to fit seat belts to.

Talked to my engineer over a year ago now. He was cool with all my planned mods of brakes / diff / engine etc. He even suggested putting a little turbo in! But I'm still not sure about the legalities of fitting my dream engine - 13BT. Though I have seen other NSW registered 13BT RA23's on toymods so I am yet to ask the question... because as far as i know the whole body weight / inducted engine capacity made the 13bt illegal...

PS celica's are DAMN sexy, but convertable celica's are EVEN sexier.

Anyway, just though I'd say my piece... Sam.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: RA23 convertable Tue, 10 August 2004 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam, Roughly how much did your roof chopping cost?

I must admitt i havnt seen a convertible celica i've liked.
Someone jump on the bandwagon for the targa tops already!

btw craigzze that was mine you saw.
engineer just passed it the other night Very Happy
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: RA23 convertable Wed, 11 August 2004 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Tue, 10 August 2004 20:30

i didnt mean it to say that it is as simple as chopping the roof and bobs your uncle. when cutting the roof you need to ensure that there are no structural cuts done, and the front windscreen would be a prime example. the metal aroungd the screen needs to be thick enough to be able to still hld the screen properly/structurally and at the back it is cut too low as to make the metal/shell structurally unstable there too.

Dood, the roof is primary structure. Unless the car is equipped with a full chassis like most 4WD and commercials, there is no way an engineer will approve a roof cut without substantial chassis reinforcement. Incidently the early crowns have a full chassis...... Rod how about we get stuck into that red thing of yours. Evil or Very Mad
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: RA23 convertable Wed, 11 August 2004 05:15 Go to previous message
i've got two friends over here in nz with convertible TA22's, they're both similar but minor difference's with the bracing and the way the roof locks into place. both have significant amounts of floor bracing, if you just cut the roof off the car will just fold in half when you open the doors (if you can open the doors that is).

one of the guys with the convertible thinks that toyota sold kits to make them but thats the most i've ever heard of it so it could just be rumour. might be worth checking out though.

and as for convertibles looks? i never used to like them but having personally seen a minter and having some idea of what the other one will come out like when its complete (long term project) i'm a bit of a fan.

a few pics of one from aussie, not one of the cars i know but it shows the potential:

http://www.geocities.com/rhyskeepence/celica_conve rt_1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/rhyskeepence/celica_conve rt_2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/rhyskeepence/celica_conve rt_3.jpg

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1ggte into ke70
Next Topic:what battery /solution
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 06:39:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071370601654053 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar