Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Import Success story Tue, 10 August 2004 15:15 Go to next message
Yay for me! Finally a import success story - will have pics up tomorrow of my soon-to-be-complied new baby Smile Kudos must go to my parents for bailing me out because I was too lazy to organise myself and get my old car sold.
  Send a private message to this user    
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Import Success story Tue, 10 August 2004 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice one Bro. Were there any holdups? The best part is when it arrives at your house on the back of a truck!

Is it a 15yo car? What is it? Good luck with Blue slip. It helps to know someone.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Import Success story Tue, 10 August 2004 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude I can't wait! Smile
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Import Success story Wed, 11 August 2004 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it's a 1988 ST165 (Toyota Celica GT4) so it's 16 years old (a bit young for my tastes - hehe)

There was a hold up, their guy in japan was on holidays when I ordered it in - so it took a while before it got on the boat. Aside from that it went smooth enough.

Some guys (now upgraded to legends) called Jaustech are doing the import and compliance work so it's all up to them at this stage, hopefully I'll have a quick look at it today.
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: Import Success story Wed, 11 August 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good onya, can't wait for the pics. Mine should land by the weekend. I'm getting hard just thinking about it.

Cheers

Jeff
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Import Success story Wed, 11 August 2004 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll have to excuse the shocking picture quality but the lighting was bad and I took it with a digital video camera (as opposed to an actual good digital still camera).

http://home.bigblue.net.au/pwade/ST165_arrive1.jpg
http://home.bigblue.net.au/pwade/ST165_arrive2.jpg
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Import Success story Wed, 11 August 2004 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stumpy - yeah I was getting 1.0 bar thinking about driving that turbo celica goodness Very Happy
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Import Success story Wed, 11 August 2004 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so howz it go howz it go!!! Smile??
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Import Success story Wed, 11 August 2004 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wish I knew Smile Still haven't turned the key as it is being complied at the moment! Probably take a few weeks, but hopefully I'll go on a bit of a road trip thru the eastern states and you can let me know yourself how it goes Razz

The leather interior is a bit on the aged side, that'll cost a packet to clean up, d'oh!

it's got power everything though! No cruise control (meh, like I'd ever go less than flat out). Looks like these cars have a wee bit of heat issues given the discolouration of rocker cover etc that I noticed. Pretty normal though.

I'll get some good pics in a few weeks when I pick it up.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Import Success story Wed, 11 August 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very cool fwdboy Very Happy i really love the colour. make sure you pamper it with some quality mods Razz
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Import Success story Wed, 11 August 2004 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome dude.. lol @ 1.0 bar Laughing
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: Import Success story Wed, 11 August 2004 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweeeeeeeeeeeeet
Very Happy
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Import Success story Wed, 11 August 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, thats a fat celica. nice one!
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Import Success story Wed, 11 August 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude
wait till you drive your baby for the first time

oh my god
i had THE biggest smile on my face the rest of the day
i think i even hugged it when i jumped out!

Very Happy
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Import Success story Wed, 11 August 2004 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fwdboy
ur gunna have 2 change ur name now Very Happy
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Import Success story Thu, 12 August 2004 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*scratches head* Maybe I'll just pretend that I'm a doofus who thinks that FWD stands for 'Four'WD... Razz

ae86drift -> I had a smile for most of the day and I had only just sat in it!

Anyway, I'll shut up now and go back to the business of finishing my other two cars.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Import Success story Thu, 12 August 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's awesome dude! Looks REALLY nice too.... I don't suppose you want to give an idea of price? (PM me if you want)....

I wish I was you when you take it for that first fang!

Have fun!

Jeremy.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Import Success story Thu, 12 August 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unreal dude, finally you got it - I absolutely love the colour - mm and that front bar looks heaps fatter too, is that stock?Could just be the fog lights?!
Anyway mate, have fun with your new toy/girlfriend

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Import Success story Thu, 12 August 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86Slut - > Yeah it only set me back $8500 fully complied with 3 months rego. Not a bad price, but they really aren't all that quick (only have 6psi in 1st and 2nd gear, 9psi from there onwards). But you can always change that with a bit of modification.

It's a GT4 front bar, but has little foglights on it which kinda pull it together nicely Smile

And I checked out the brakes for ay Stu - definitely twin spot headed your way when I get my hands on them!
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Import Success story Fri, 13 August 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love that front bar dude...... It's gonna be a shame to put a rego plate on it Sad

How many k's has it done?

What engine are these? 3S? (I'm an idiot and don't know these things!)
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Import Success story Sun, 15 August 2004 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have no idea how many kms!!!! In all the excitement of finally checking it out I didn't look at the odometer... Rolling Eyes I looked at almost everything else too!

Yeah it has the 3S-GTE squeezed tightly into the engine bay. It really is a close fit. Will be a bitch when I have to fix stuff Sad

Still hopefully I won't have to fix anything, or I win the lotto and can afford to pay someone else to fix them Smile
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Import Success story Sun, 15 August 2004 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Sun, 15 August 2004 11:17

Yeah it has the 3S-GTE squeezed tightly into the engine bay.

Bah - It's a perfect fit.. Almost like it was made for it! Laughing

But I must say this is another Toyota I'm finding more and more appealing.. How much lighter are they then the ST185 and 205s? If 205 halfcuts were in abundance it could really be worthwhile importing one of these with a stuffed engine! Evil or Very Mad
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Import Success story Sun, 15 August 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awsome congrats on getting a nice stocker man, if it was modified I would be worried.

Looks sweet, Most 165s I have seen in japan are that color, even my half cut was must be the most common. (along with white)

They still look good with a rego plate on the front, you just need little spacers and longer bolts man, or you bend the corners of your plate.

Congrats again Rolling
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Import Success story Sun, 15 August 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dunno how much lighter they are, but at a guess they are roughly 150kg lighter than the ST185 model, and I think the ST205 is a bit lighter than the ST185 but not quite as light as the ST165. If you can find an ST205 gearbox and rear diff and sort out some way of getting air through the engine then you are laughing Smile UNfortunately, complete ST205 gear isn't viable for my rallying purposes due to regulations (damn PRC rules, at least there are some freedoms)
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Import Success story Sun, 15 August 2004 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think a little splash of red and white will go well once I've finished a few other projects (looks at stumpy's avatar). Part o' the deal with the parents was that I get my other two cars running and sell one of them.

The question is - should I keep the ST162, or the soon-to-be 5S-GEd TA23?

Time for a poll.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Import Success story Sun, 15 August 2004 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks phat dude,

Who said anything about putting number plates on the front? Razz

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Import Success story Sun, 15 August 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MMM 165 Smile

nice work ! Smile

looking forward to seeing it if you come thru this way again!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Import Success story Sun, 15 August 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah - I'm planning on going for a bit of a very VERY long cruise when I get the car all sorted Smile Enjoy the experience for a bit, see some sights and hit those mountain roads!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Import Success story Sun, 15 August 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very nice mate.. keep us posted on how it all goes
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Import Success story Sun, 15 August 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keep 23 sell 162 Smile

165 looks great!
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: Import Success story Mon, 16 August 2004 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey FWDboy, what did it cost you to have the intrusion bars put in. I am tossing up whether to buy and paint some Aussie doors or just get the intrusion bars put in.

Cheers

Jeff
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Import Success story Mon, 16 August 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have no idea - it was a package. $8500 with compliance and 3 months rego.

Also from what I've seen on the ST162 doors, they don't have hardcore side intrusion bars, maybe it's part of the integral design? Either that or I wasn't looking hard enough.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Import Success story Thu, 19 August 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am looking at importing a 165 soon... whats the deal with these side intrusion bars?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Import Success story Thu, 19 August 2004 06:44 Go to previous message
I don't know Smile Cars need to have side intrusion bars to be in compliance with the ADRs...ST165s don't have em...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:speed tech Ae71
Next Topic:AutoSport Engineering?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:23:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074000358581543 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.