3.Honda Accord Euro 6 / 12%

Hey all,
I'm looking at buying a new car. These are my requirements:
1) Must cost less than $55k
2) Must go well
3) Must be a four door family saloon
4) Must be built well
5) Must be manual

The first two requirements rule out all the European-built cars.

The fourth one rules out the Falcadores.

The Camry is not sporty enough.

The Maxima is butt-ugly.

Every man and his dog has a Mazda 6, and the styling is already aging rapidly.

The only cars that really match my criteria are the Liberty GT (manual one is coming out later in the year) and the Accord Euro.
The IS200 is in there purely from the merits of its fantastic handling 'coz it really, really, really lacks the grunt (which is why the woman doesn't want it).

http://lexus.com.au/is200/images/imggal/img6.jpg
I have a big soft spot for the IS200 though because it just simply blew my mind. It's also built a lot better than the other two. Plus, being a rear driver is a HUGE plus for me (but doesn't mean anything to the woman).

http://www.honda.com.au/Accord/Euro/EuroLuxury/image+gallery/ext_dusklights.jpg
The Accord is only $40k though which is a big plus. Apparently it's supposed to handle quite well too.

http://subaru.com.au/explore/liberty/images/exterior/23472/1.jpg
The Liberty is 4WD and comes in a wagon which will be handy 'coz we tend to go camping once in a while. But 4WD has the disadvantage of more fuel usage and bad handling.
There is also the Liberty 3.0R-B. Non-turbo 180kW, but it has the Bilsteins (not sure if the GT does as well).

I'm yet to drive the Liberty or Accord. I'll hopefully be able to do it this weekend.

Just wanted your thoughts on what you'd buy and why.

And if you'd buy another car, which one and why?

[Updated on: Thu, 12 August 2004 00:22]

Send a private message to this user    
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll push my barrel since I work for them...

Unless you've pushed a 4WD in the wet very hard, you won't appreciate what it does for you. I was a skeptic when I've driven Outbacks and the last Liberty for a few hours or so but it's bloody fantastic. 45/55 ratio (the 5 speed should be out already) pushes the rear end out a bit but not to the fully sik style drifter style.

I'll put my vote on the 3.0R spec B version with Bilstein bits, 6 speed STi box and bags of torque. All fits under 5 criterias there and it's cheaper than the GT even though it's just as plush inside. 5 star crash rating so it's safe.

The GT doesn't get Billys and I think the 3.0R spec B gets a better front end look. Only down side I think are those 18" wheels ($$$ for rubber) and maybe service cost. I'm not 100% on service cost coz I don't pay for my car but last time I checked, a 100,000km service on the first Outback cost just over 1k *OUCH!*

IS200.. forget it. Great car, engine is a big let down for the price you pay. Factor into the price a supercharger kit to get anywhere near the GT/3.0R-B. As you said, looks great, handles beautifully and it's a Toyota! If only Lexus sells the IS300 for under 55k. Evil or Very Mad

Accord is good for the money you pay for it. Can't really fault that either.

I'd say it's a race between the Accord and Liberty (in whatever variant you want).
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I pick the Liberty because

A) we don't get the Lexus Atezza

B) it is substantially quicker than the Accord Euro

C) despite 4wd, I think it will handle even better thna the Euro too. Whatever you think of Subaru, they usually get their 4wd ride/handling combo spot on.

The manual Liberty GT has more power than the auto's 180kw. I read somewhere that it is not such a big deal that the manual GT missed out on the Bilsteins, as they make the suspension very stiff, and Subaru Oz decied that they would not cope well with our crap roads. Having said that, why did they specify them for the 3.0B - maybe just for marketing purposes?

Incidentally, the Euro is available as a 4wd in Japan and there are rumours of a 4wd or Fwd turbo model, and they already have a Type R model as well with 160 odd kw. If we had one of these variants here I muighht be tempted to vote Honda. But Honda Oz apparently is becoming boring like Toyota Oz and wants to concentrate on Odysseys and tank 4wd's and is getting rid of the Integtra Type R etc. So I doubt we will get a performance Accord here.

I doubt the the Lexus is "substantially" better built than the other too. Honda and Subaru quality is defintely not shabby, and in any case, the IS200 is not built on the same production facility as the more expensive Lexus as it is sold as a Toyota in Japan in some volume. Not saying that it is built crap, but it wont be in the same class as a LS400 etc.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 August 2004 02:44]

SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shovelnose wrote on Thu, 12 August 2004 12:39

Incidentally, the Euro is available as a 4wd in Japan and there are rumours of a 4wd or Fwd turbo model, and they already have a Type R model as well with 160 odd kw. If we had one of these variants here I muighht be tempted to vote Honda. But Honda Oz apparently is becoming boring like Toyota Oz and wants to concentrate on Odysseys and tank 4wd's and is getting rid of the Integtra Type R etc. So I doubt we will get a performance Accord here.

Just one point before bagging any car company over their choice of cars they bring here is that the goals of say Toyota Japan may not be the same as the goals of Toyota Australia. Ditto FHI/Subaru Aust (I know this is fact) and Honda JP/Honda AU. Honda has already killed off the Euro R earlier this year as a no go as well as both the Type R.

Yes it sucks that other countries get a car (I've personally been a voice for the STi Forester) but if it doesn't suit the business plans, then it's no point bringing in a car that doesn't achieve its goals.

No back to the original post!!!
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id go IS200, Biased opinion of course! When I bought mine, I hated the performance, but around the mountains, the car is awesome, and fun to drive! The sound system is really good too. If you get sick of the performance, just do what Im doing Razz

I havent driven the Liberty, I must admit, it looks awesome, and obviously wins hands down in performance, but I have never been a fan of Suabru.

The Honda is nice, very nice interior, good price for what you get, but being a FWD'er looses points. And it doesnt feel as good as the IS200 in terms of handling.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd go the Liberty GT manual when it comes out 190kw due to come out at the end of this year. has peak torque of 2400prm and 7500rpm redline. Very tractable engine great looks, bit of a sleeper.
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Just one point before bagging any car company over their choice of cars they bring here
This is slightly off topic, but I can bag any car company I like - that is what forums are for - free speech Evil or Very Mad

So you are saying that if Honda Oz and Subaru gets taken over by cardigan wearers (too late for Toyota - happened a few years ago) and stops importing anything remotely interesting for someone who is not a soccermum, then it is all OK with you? They may have different "goals" to the parent company in Japan but they may well be misguided goals.

If your employer Subaru Oz decided to only bring in automatic Liberty Heritages with 1.8 litre engines becasue they thought (incredulously) that was the right thing to do, that we should all shut up????

Think about Nissan Australia - only 100 R32 GTR's sold - not look at the thousands of grey market import Skylines and 180ZX's around. Then look at all the Lexus coupes. They are everywhere.

If the grey market import rules had not been constructed in a certain way (no imports that have the same body shape as ones already sold here), we would have seen tons of 1st generation twin turbo Legacies and pre V6 STI WRX's brought in, amongst other stuff.

If Mitsubishi Oz had not been so stupid they could have continued to sell a Lancer GSR type model (not necessarily a pricey EVO) to have a much needed image car in ther range. After all the WRX was selling heaps with no competition apart from a few 200SX's.

My point is that there is obviously a MARKET for more performance orientated product, but that these cardigan wearers either are too stupid to foresee it or just don't care to cater for it.

I personally am not that much interested in a Forester STI (the fact that a MANUAL GT is now about to be sold here is good enough for me, and this is the car I would want to get when I can afford it) but I think it would have been great to have them sold here anyway. After all if the Yanks get them so should we. Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOFFEE-BLACK wrote on Thu, 12 August 2004 13:14

Id go IS200, Biased opinion of course! When I bought mine, I hated the performance, but around the mountains, the car is awesome, and fun to drive! The sound system is really good too. If you get sick of the performance, just do what Im doing Razz

I have no doubts that on a twisty mountain road, the IS200 would leave the other two in its dust. Lack of power or no, I've never driven a car that handled so well!
And if I did buy the IS200, then it'd get turboed eventually. Fo' shizzle.

I was not aware that the GT had a 45/55 split. Although I'd prefer something like 30/70 so that it could be balanced on the throttle.
I think I'll have to take both GT and 3.0R-B for a drive to see how different they are.

I have to do some more research on the Honda too. It seems that most people dismiss it, but I remember reading reviews raving on about how good the handling was.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is this the review of the Accord you're talking about Max?

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=40622&rid=218&S=30ab8df8e66b967d8d369af2 f7cef02f&pl_view=&start=0#msg_363515
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha Yeah, that'd be one of them!!

Forget my dreams of ever owning an F355.... Laughing
Billy-Mason PI
Regular

July 2003
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Based on the 3 cars there and your requirements, I'd go the Euro Accord.

Why:

Build quality
Performance
Interior
Handling
Ride
Price
Looks

I'm not comparing the above points to the other 2 cars (they are all great cars), simply pointing out merits the Accord has.

If it was me I'd only go second hand and choose between:

Euro Accord
Falcon Fairmont/Fairlane/Turbo XR6
99-03 Verada (not ugly one)
01-03 Magna VRX (not ugly one)
LS400
Sportivo Camry V6

[Updated on: Thu, 12 August 2004 05:02]

st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drove a mates brand-spankin Accord Euro two weeks ago. The engine was an utterly gutless disappointment, however it did rev seamlessly to 7,000rpm. I didn't get to tear chunks out of the tyres (it only had 170km on the odo fer chrissakes!), but it was very smooth, composed and quiet, yet firm.

Interior was luxuriously appointed, with dead-cow everywhere, heated front seats, power everything and more storage bins than I'd know what to do with!!

Having said all that - I'd rather slit my own wrists than buy an Accord. Weedy motor + FWD = shitbox
Very Happy

Of this lineup I'd leap feet-first into the Liberty, without even thinking about it. Turbo Motor, reputedly nice manual, Subaru-sorted handling - where is the downside?

I know its interior appointments are appaling compared to the above cars, but give a VY runout SV8 a test-drive, while keeping in mind that the Manual DOES free-up after 15,000km or so.

It puts out an honest 245kw, for a shade over $40,000 - perhaps less when VZ lands in town. If you're desperate to spend $50k, a quick trip th the CAPA website will allow you to select your supercharger kit!! The 360kw+ kit looks good value at $8,700....

If you need leather, shell out for a runout VY SS with "the works" interior package.

-They're actually very good on build quality, because they're the last of the VY's and any problems were sorted out yonks ago. Same SHOULD apply for BA's too, but I don't have anything to do with them, so I can't say.

C'mon - the RWD handling's a hoot with N/A torque, Imagine force-fed throttle-steer, and 360kw of go-go-GO!!!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, but I'm not going to drive a taxi cab that's going to break down constantly on me.

I can even get up to $6k off RRP on Fords (I'm a Telstra employee now) but seriously, there's no way I'm going to own one of those shitboxes (my personal opinion of Falcadores, so keep the flames away).
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the IS man, join our club and be happy hahaha! There is the TTE Supercharger Kit (Someone in the club has) 1JZGTE (two of us have) 2JZGTE (1 has) and AVO Turbo kit (1 did have, till he upgraded to 1J) options to choose from!!

Best thing about the IS200, is the awesome fuel economy, I get 650k/tank everytime! Driving to QLD, got me 900km Shocked
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shovelnose wrote on Thu, 12 August 2004 14:06

Quote:

Just one point before bagging any car company over their choice of cars they bring here
This is slightly off topic, but I can bag any car company I like - that is what forums are for - free speech Evil or Very Mad

Say what you like. I tend to agree but I'm not the head of Subaru so I can't help you. I'm not going to hijack this thread so I won't comment more on it.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 August 2004 05:36]

st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No probs Nark - just my 2-cents.

Power-Steering hoses aside, VYII is quite good on build quality - seriously!!

I DARE you to test-drive a VY-II SV8/SS! Got a mate with one?

Commodes get most of their bad reputation from the first six-months of major model revisions, although now even the pilot-build cars (pre-release) are getting screwed together very well. Ford seems to rush its quality programs to try and catch-up with Holden's release of new models, and the problems only bite harder the more a release is rushed........

I've gotta agree with your wanting to force air down the IS200's throat - all that balance, grip and poise with a pissy 2-litre to throttle-steer with. What a joke!!

Perhaps a low-km 2nd hand 325i or 330i Bee-Em-Dubya? that'd be $40k->$60k.

The Magna is an understeering pig-dog, so it's out..

There's a heap of 2nd hand Audis to be had at $40-60k

Ummm..... yep. Nup. All I've got bro. I s'pose an RX-8 doesn't count? It does sorta have 4 doors........

yeah - Liberty wins hands-down, unless you're happy to cough-up and force-feed the IS200 with LOTS and LOTS of compressed air Very Happy
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you think about it, where are you going to drive a car fast these days? Look in offtopic, there is a thread, with people spotting cop cars with P plates etc! if Lexus Australia, just bloody accepted the awesome 3GE beams, it be the perfect car!

The IS200 does everything you want, except get to 100 quick. I mean, I still beat Swift GTis and V6 Commys hehehe.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Liberty GT for its looks the Accords front end looks too much like a Mazda, IS200 would be nice too but I think Suburu's liberty would be better for a family car. I have been told that the Accord is pretty guttless. but have never driven a new Accord Euro so can't really say but I will say that it would wan't to be good in the performance catergory if it is more sportier then a V6 Camry with a 5 spd manual.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I said IS200...coz they handle like a dream. Too bad for the stock engine tho, but you can do a 1JZ or 2JZ conversion and she'll be a beast that handles like a dream Very Happy
julian
Regular

March 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill go the liberty GT.

1stly coz there is no greater feeling then draggin some doof doof dickhead in a commo off at the lights.

2ndly coz they can still just be a cruizer.
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Left field idea.... (I hate pushing my barrel)...

Forester XT. Performance (straight line.. you'll be surprised how many doors this can blow), cornering quite good for something that's jacked up 200mm but 50/50 split so it'll understeer and STi springs available to take it down to a reasonable height, offroad ability (I took mine on the beach at Stockton beach without problems.. gotta love power sliding across sand) and 5 star safety rating.

http://www.pbase.com/image/31756849.jpg
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some of you guys misunderstand. I'm not selling my Celica.
The Celica will be the fun car that will be taken out for the 2am thrash. And for humiliating the knuckle-draggers and riceboys.

The new car will be for driving around, not dragging people at the lights.
Reliability, comfort, balance and mid-ranged torque are more important than outright power.
This car doesn't need to be able to blow anything off at the lights, but it needs to be able to overtake swiftly and safely. As well as being fun to drive (or at least entertaining).
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Thu, 12 August 2004 17:07

Some of you guys misunderstand. I'm not selling my Celica.
The Celica will be the fun car that will be taken out for the 2am thrash. And for humiliating the knuckle-draggers and riceboys.

Oh!! well that for Me, brings the IS200 right back into the fight against the Liberty. I still say forget the Accord, because when you've tasted RWD or even AWD niceness, gutless FWD just sucks. Not having a dig at your current Sillycar, but if you're choosing a new car...

Maybe get the IS200, and when you tire of it's undercooked capacity, sell the Celica to pay for the Super-Mega-Blower/Turbo installation.

Or same Re: Liberty GT, and an APS power-up kit..

all good Smile

I still say 360+kw of supercharged GenIII is Ace, BTW Very Happy

Did I mention, there's P.O.A kits for 520kw and 620kw? Evil or Very Mad

[Updated on: Thu, 12 August 2004 07:25]

Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184sillycar-

the ra60 is rwd, oh yeah Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get this.
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Photos/Y14509096.jpg

It's in the current trading post http://www.tradingpost.com.au/addisplay.asp?State= NSW&sMsg=keywordsearch&origpage=1
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Link doesn't work. Sad

Is it less than 4 years old? (Salary packaging)
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That looks PHat Cool

Get it!!!
Serran
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOFFEE-BLACK wrote on Thu, 12 August 2004 15:33

go the IS man, join our club and be happy hahaha! There is the TTE Supercharger Kit (Someone in the club has) 1JZGTE (two of us have) 2JZGTE (1 has) and AVO Turbo kit (1 did have, till he upgraded to 1J) options to choose from!!

Best thing about the IS200, is the awesome fuel economy, I get 650k/tank everytime! Driving to QLD, got me 900km Shocked

and you forgot to mention in the works in the not too distant future on a beams Cool
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Thu, 12 August 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got the link.

http://www.autotrader.com.au/photodisplay.asp?Stat e=NSW&adnumber=Y14509096_31M

99 model so I can't salary package it. Sad
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Fri, 13 August 2004 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about a forrester XS luxury?
If not i would go the Liberty.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Fri, 13 August 2004 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wait for the 4wd turbo accord...ohhhyeh..but in the meantime go the subi
Serran
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Fri, 13 August 2004 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like it will boil down to liberty or the is.

you also need to consider after sales service.. lexus wins hands down.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Fri, 13 August 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got a response from AVO...

$8500 drive in drive out for the turbo kit and install.

Comes with a 320hp Garrett BB turbo, bov, fmic, etc...

It's all ADR'ed but still needs to get an engineers certificate.

http://210.15.220.239/html/avokits/avokits.html
Serran
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Fri, 13 August 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there shouldnt be any probs with that avo kit (keeping the rest all fine and dandy).. only thing regarding the cert that is most important is the emissions test, but thats free anyway.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Fri, 13 August 2004 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT liberty all the way. As much as I am a toyota guy i love my Liberty/Legacy's!
Sam4A-GE_Seca
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Fri, 13 August 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heres a left field one from the company i work for. not as much power as a GT Liberty but still a damn nice car to drive (we have them as (coutersy) loan cars at work)

http://www.trivettclassic.com.au/trivett/useddetai l.asp?stock=862591&make=AUDI&model=A4& transmission=undefined&sort=model&page=2&a mp;direction=ASC

http://www.trivettclassic.com.au/trivett/useddetai l.asp?stock=782655&make=AUDI&model=A4& transmission=undefined&sort=model&page=und efined&direction=ASC#

with audis dont discount the "multitronic" gearbox they accellerate quicker than the manual and are smoother and more economical than the manuals plus u have the tiptronic shift on the steering wheel.

heres some quick stats on the Audi A4 Turbo Quattro

Valves per cylinder 5
Block material Cast-iron
Head material Aluminium alloy
Capacity (cm3) 1781
Maximum power 120kW @ 5700rpm
Maximum torque 225Nm @ 1950-4700rpm
Acceleration - 0-100km/h (secs) 8.7
Maximum speed (km/h) 226

at work ive driven BM's, Mercs, IS200s, and i rate audi over all of them. they r a very underrated car. especilly the A4.

For the record a mates mum bought a 2004 IS300 to replace her 1992 Ford Telstar TX5 V6 4WS and she would prefer to have the telstar back

[Updated on: Fri, 13 August 2004 12:37]

Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Fri, 13 August 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my parents almost bought an audi but they decided they looked shit. That grill plus those wheels sure it's got the euro style but DAMM !!!!!
U can get a nice BMW for that price but it depends how old r ur kids? R they gunna be spilling shit everywhere ? cuz if they are then don't get the leather trim.
Sam4A-GE_Seca
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Fri, 13 August 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie. all i can say is its a shame they let that get in the way of a very very good car. Equivalent BMW's cost alot more and i believe the fit and finish of an audi is way above BMW and the audi is much more user friendly.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Fri, 13 August 2004 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what I've heard, Audis are understeering sacks of $#%^.

I don't like understeer.

Oh, and one of my criteria was that it had to be a manual. It's not about being quick. It's about being fun to drive.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Fri, 13 August 2004 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Subaru, handle like a dream go good and they are a bit of a sleeping with the low lying bonnet vent and no badging.

and subaru never have problems, only time it will ever go to the workshop is to get its normal service done.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Sat, 14 August 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would be a close decision between the Liberty and the IS200... I think I would choose the B spec, personally - but this is said without having driven either Smile
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Sat, 14 August 2004 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My vote was for the Liberty... As soon as it came out I was like yeah... How much is the B4 worth???
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Sat, 14 August 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The more I think about it, the more I reckon I'd like the 3.0R-B more than the GT.
Problem would be that I'm addicted to turbos...
It'd use more petrol too and lack the mid-range torque that the turbo would give.

Sure enough, a quick visit to the Subaru site gives these stats:
               GT           3.0R-B
Power       190kW@6400    180kW@6600
Torque      330Nm@2400    297Nm@4200
0-100km/h      5.7s          6.9s
Fuel cons.  9.7L/100km    12.4L/100km
Hmm... Maybe I'll stick to the GT... Nod
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Mon, 30 August 2004 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey all,
Got to drive a few cars on the weekend. Here are my thoughts.

Liberty GT: Not bad. I didn't hate it (which is always a good thing in non-RWD cars). Nice power. Good suspension. Understeered if you push it past 7/10ths which makes it pretty crap to drive hard. Steering was very vague, especially around the centre.

Liberty 3.0R-B: Much nicer drive! More of a driver's car than the GT. Suspension is firmer and more controlled. Steering wheel was smaller than the GT (and steering felt much better than the GT). Had alloy pedals which were easy to heal-toe. Great instantaneous torque from the N/A 3.0L. Didn't have the top end of the GT though and uses more petrol. If this had the GT engine and was RWD (or at least more torque split to the rear), this would be a fantastic car to own. As it is, I couldn't push it more than 8/10ths without understeer rearing its ugly head and making me nearly puke in disgust.

Accord Euro: A very competent car. If I was to buy a car based on my brain only, I'd pick this one. For the price, the features list is amazing! Materials weren't as good as the Liberty, but had stuff like heated front seats and separate climate control for either side of the car. Good value for money, drove well. But didn't stir any emotion in me. The torque steer was a huge put off too. Yuck.

So, to sum it all up. The woman likes the GT 'coz she'll never push it so hard that she'll meet Mr. Understeer (or at least his big brother). It's comfy and has plenty of power.

As for me. The IS200 still rules my brain. Down a mountain, the IS200 would 0wn the Liberty. It's got loads of grip, steering is phenomenal, has great poise and balance, and you'd have to be pretty insane to get it to understeer.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 August 2004 07:15]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Mon, 30 August 2004 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just remember where you're coming from dude. Sure to a point they are going to understeer, but you're only going to exacerbate the problem by not driving accordingly. Look at what you're coming from.

If it were me, I'd be getting the Liberty and learning how to make the most of it.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Mon, 30 August 2004 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NARK!!!

Have you checked Motor's latest edition: Bang For Your Buck 2004??

They spanked the GT auto (only one available at the time) SILLY on the track and found it OVERsteered at 10/10ths!!

Maybe you just aint goiong quick enough..........

(That was under power, b.t.w. -- not JUST trail-braking/lift-off)

That said, IS200 + TRD Supercharger = PHUNTASTIC!! + Broken_Bank

Hmm... . . . interesting equation
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Mon, 30 August 2004 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I would take a RWD line for the corners, but I wasn't really testing it on tight corners, I was testing it on the sweepers.
Gradually adding power through the corner and sure enough it will start understeering just after the apex.

As for the Motor comparo, read Rick Bates's notes. He said it understeered, but had unexpected tailiness at high speed. I think the word there is "unexpected", you don't think a 4WD would do that, so it catches you out.

It's pretty balanced for a 4WD (which is probably where that high speed tail wagging comes from), but compare it to a nice RWD, it's nowhere near as adjustable when you're halfway through a corner. You can choose understeer, understeer, or understeer. Unless you want to do a big liftoff. I can't left foot brake, so that leaves that out of the equation (and it's not something that I want to learn on the streets).
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Going back a few posts...

I was in Narks position about this time last year and looking at several options all of which really didn't suit me personally. After researching and test driving several vehicles I finally decided on a VY-II SS Ute with Enhancements over the second and 3rd placed IS200 (second hand) and Magna AWD.

All in all 12 months down the track I wish I'd taken the IS200 (or RS200 as it would have been) as the Ute is being very tempremental and is in at Holden every other week.

I was in the same position as Nark wanting a daily driver as there is the weekend toy in the garage. but wanted a work vehicle to tow/carry stuff in the back whilst working on the house. Problem now is in 12 months time I'll have no (work) use for the ute except for the occasional boat/car float towing exercise.

The reason for the choice was basically I ended up with a $60,000 vehicle over a $30 somthing vehicle with no resale value.
The IS200 would have been kept after the lease expired for future project.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My oppinnion is take the IS200 and either do the turbo kit or a conversion to 1jz or 1uz Smile
i havent driven any of these.. but ive spoken to heaps of people who have and everyone sais the altezza is jesus in the handling department, all subaru's understeer too much..... and the honda is FWD..............
you say the IS200 would be taken hands down if it had a better engine, yes?. buy it and do the turbo kit... you wont regret it
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, believe me. If it was my decision, I'd be getting the IS200 and turboing it. There's not even a choice in it any more (now that I've driven the others).
But this car is for the woman. I'm trying my hardest to convince her, but it's hard when she cares about looks more than handling... And the GT looks better.
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IS200 with a 2jz Evil or Very Mad
What a sleeper.
Personally i think the 2ltr v6 runds out of tuff from the cars weight. Safety first, right?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 12:06

IS200 with a 2jz Evil or Very Mad

You mean an IS300?

Drove one. Wasn't impressed. IS200 was much better in terms of handling.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get an IS200 and put a 3UZFE in it Smile Lighter than a 1G, shorter and ze uber handling will remain or get better Smile
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IS300, oh yes, the bigger engine.
is that the 3 ltr?
It sound to me your shoping for a family car.
For the money I would go for the Accord Euro.
For the performance, Liberty GT
Sorry but you can't get performance and luxury in the same sentence, 1 thing usually sacrifices the other.
The IS200 is a good looking car but so is a 95 model Supra 2jz Smile
2jz IS200 Razz Razz Damm, stupid Uni, i wish i was working
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 12:32

Get an IS200 and put a 3UZFE in it Smile Lighter than a 1G, shorter and ze uber handling will remain or get better Smile

Yeah, that'd be great, but too much of a headache for me. I've already got a car with an engine conversion. Two would be pushing the marriage... Smile

bubbles wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 12:41

IS300, oh yes, the bigger engine.
is that the 3 ltr?

Yup. 2JZ-GE.

bubbles wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 12:41

Sorry but you can't get performance and luxury in the same sentence, 1 thing usually sacrifices the other.

No, they can go together. It's just the third factor that limits things. Price.

As for the JZA80, the car's gotta be less than 4 years old in order to lease it.

[Updated on: Tue, 31 August 2004 02:53]

CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having read about quality issues of the Subaru in the past I would tend to favour an IS200 or Accord, if the Accord is made in Japan and not South East Asia.

Took a quite look at drive.com.au and found these

Jaguar, X-Type 2.1 V6
Volkswagen, Bora 2.8 4Motion
Volvo, S40 2.5 T5
Mazda, RX-8

Have you looked into how much a 4 year old Chaser or Mark IV costs?

I actually like the look of the Mazda 6. The V6 Camry Sportivo doesn't fair too badly in the power stakes at 145Kw. I think the Lexus ES300 with VVti are at 158kw. Might find a used one at the price range you are after.

Did you read about the prototype IS 430 in Germany? It's a same they aren't building it.

[Updated on: Tue, 31 August 2004 03:36]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm, what Subaru quality issues dude?
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gearbox, engine
Besides the sound I never liked V shaped 2 ltr engines Confused

[Updated on: Tue, 31 August 2004 03:52]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF are you on about dude?
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: IS200 vs Liberty GT vs Accord Euro Tue, 31 August 2004 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Quote:

Umm, what Subaru quality issues dude?
Exactly what I was thinking. Subaru quality is superior to Jaguar and Volvo.

Quote:

Besides the sound I never liked V shaped 2 ltr engines
Better a flat 180 degree (not v) four than the weezy dog of a 2 litre 6 in the IS200.

[Updated on: Tue, 31 August 2004 04:04]

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:A Hello and a few q's....
Next Topic:Wheel Spacers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:32:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082099437713623 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.