Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Buying a jap import turbo car?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
icon5.gif  Buying a jap import turbo car? Sat, 14 August 2004 13:05 Go to next message
Just would like some opinons. I'm looking at buying a 15 year old import (in the infant..research stage). So far choices are

Celica GT4 (st185) 1989
Nissan 180sx
Subaru Legacy (RS Turbo)
Galant VR4

I don't want to have to be working on it every w/end which I guess makes it important to get a lot of info from o/seas first.

I've been searching trying to find out some info:

Celica - fairly hard to work on, requires a bit of dosh, doesn't feel that quick stock..good engine though. Good insurance rate

Nissan - I guess either a cA18 Turbo or SR20 turbo. Plenty of go, not as much to worry about being only RWD. Insurance is high. I'm not sure on reliability. Many hoons own them.

Subaru - Apparently noisy lifters which require a 'fix'...usually a few grand, gearboxes slightly weak - insurance would likely be high. www.RSLibertyClub.org

Galant VR4 - from the forum http://www.galantvr4.org/ it seems they have a multitude of probs over a period of time.

I'm not trying to criticise anybodies cars just trying to figure out what would be best option, if you disagree or have any comments that would be great. I wouldn't mind a aw11 4agze but I would like to have 4 seats...
Thanks

[Updated on: Sat, 14 August 2004 13:12]

Send a private message to this user    
Pewee
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: Buying a jap import turbo car? Sun, 15 August 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In that bunch you can't go past the silvia.

Make sure it's sr20 they have heaps of potential and not much really goes wrong with them.
the nissan is very reliable (as long as you look after it)
performance parts are easy to get as are all parts for them.
Also a lot of the parts from the bigger brothers (skylines)
directly bolt on the silvia.

Power to weight by far the winner there.
Only problem the VERY cramped driving position but a set of race seats will fix that.

Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: Buying a jap import turbo car? Sun, 15 August 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you get a stocker 89 180 it will be a CA, dont bother. Some that come through have been replaced with SR's so id go that route..
GT4 forget
Legacy arent too bad
VR4 just look ugly in my opinion

Im going through the import crap now, bought a 89 gtr.. looks to be in great nick, but a 15 year old import is bound to have problems so remember that
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Buying a jap import turbo car? Sun, 15 August 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are forgetting obvious choices as well

MA70 or MZ20...

Problem with most silvias is that they have all been thrashed unless you get a non turbo auto Crying or Very Sad which is Ghey...

VR4's look like magnas, Celica GT4's are very hard to find parts for and Legacys well they cost and absolute fuckload to fix.

Silvia seems like the obvious choice but be careful cos there is a lot of crap out there.

Broaded your horizons a bit and have a look at some other stuff as well.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Buying a jap import turbo car? Sun, 15 August 2004 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't have to lock your sights on imports either. If you hunt around there are some very nice turbo cars floating around for the same sort of money. Have to do a bit of waiting and looking sometimes... but then you have to do that with importing too.

-J-
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Buying a jap import turbo car? Sun, 15 August 2004 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also you dont have to specifically look at turbo cars do you?

I am guessing you would be a young guy so a trubo car is goign to be very expensive to insure and maintain...

Hear me out before you laugh but a mate of mine just bought an imported MX5 1989 model, these puppies only have about 92kw at the flywheel but all of the ones that get bought over here come with a lot of added goodies, such as coilover suspension, 2 or 1.5 way diff, bodykits, short shifter, wheels...

This car is damn quick and i reckon it would only have about 70-75 rwkw, but he has got insurance for it easily and anyone who has fixed an MX5 before knows his car backwards..

Just food for though.

Oh and he paid $7000 fully complied and registered.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Buying a jap import turbo car? Sun, 15 August 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the help guys.

I don't really want a supra, bit too chunky and not a fan of the 7M. Maybe the MZ20 might be worth a look. I don't know if there are may 1GGTE manuals though.

I got a quote of $1180 a year with Just car on the GT4( I have 65% no claim and no accident history, about 6 year driving history). They reckoned the 180sx , skylines vr4s were up around 1800, which menas I would probably 3rd part property them Sad )

MR 1G - That price that your frined got the MX5 for is very cheap. Do you think you could either post or pm me some of the websites or names of auction sites/importers/compliance people he dealt with. My gf would like an Mx5...they're pretty good cars and yes the parts etc wouldn't be too bad etc.

Sprinta - congrats on your purchase. Let us know how it turns out. Are you just doing 3rd part property on it. Is the car costing you much?

The GT4s didn't get much of a hearing. I just thought they maybe camry/celica like reliable but maybe not.

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Buying a jap import turbo car? Sun, 15 August 2004 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah no worries mate Ill get some info and then get back to you... Very Happy
Sprinta
Regular

September 2002
Re: Buying a jap import turbo car? Sun, 15 August 2004 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx dude
insurance... well that is a bit of a problem Smile im 21 in sept and i think even 3rd party will be fun and expensive, but it has to be done!
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: Buying a jap import turbo car? Sun, 15 August 2004 23:28 Go to previous message
how about a 1989 fc3s rx7 series 5...

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Gearbox
Next Topic:86 brake upgrade
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:18:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060570240020752 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.