Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Overheating when the temp gauge says normal? Grrr!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
icon8.gif  Overheating when the temp gauge says normal? Grrr! Sun, 15 August 2004 13:26 Go to next message
<---- My Corona apparently overheated on me yesterday, and when I say apparently, I mean that the temp gauge read normal but when the RACQ guy checked the actual engine temp it was over 110 degrees! Does anyone know what the deal is there? Embarassed Mad
However I did perform a cardinal sin, I started the engine once I checked the engine out initially, and firstly didnt start, then on the second go it started and ran roughly (from experience I know that they run rough because of the fact that if has overheated).. I immediately shut it off after a few seconds and called a towie. Sad Confused
I hope that in a few days I will learn the cause of the overheating, and I hope that I havent done any major damage when I started it for that brief moment
Any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Overheating when the temp gauge says normal? Grrr! Sun, 15 August 2004 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could be air pockets in the coolant system? That tends to cause hot spots - and the temp could have been taken at one of these hot spots.

Or a faulty temp guage/temp sensor?

-J-
oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
Re: Overheating when the temp gauge says normal? Grrr! Sun, 15 August 2004 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not as far as I know. It appears to work fine. Confused

Got a call from my mechanic this morning saying that it was a faulty water pump, and that it was the reason it was leaking coolant and overheating. So for a new pump, new thermostat, cooling system flush, head-gasket check, new coolant, etc. its cost $447.50 so far Shocked ..

Oh the joys.. Crying or Very Sad Smile
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Overheating when the temp gauge says normal? Grrr! Sun, 15 August 2004 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol overheating dramas suck ay

pretty normal price for a water pump there

Personally I think you were lucky.. heheh.. you could have cooked your HG real easy Wink
oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
Re: Overheating when the temp gauge says normal? Grrr! Mon, 16 August 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know all about cooking HG's Rob Smile I massacred more head gaskets than I care to remember ('83 Cressida, Datsun 280c, but they were all asking for it) From those experiences, I should have known not to start the car again, but it was in a parallel park on the esplanade of Surfers Paradise and there wasnt a great deal of space. Thats my excuse anyways Razz

I just wished that I had a bit of warning (the signs were probably there tho) because my fundage isnt really liking the constant change of hands. Rolling Eyes hehe
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Overheating when the temp gauge says normal? Grrr! Mon, 16 August 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If there's no coolant at the temp sensor then the reading on the guage has no relationship to the temperature of the coolant.
oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
Re: Overheating when the temp gauge says normal? Grrr! Mon, 16 August 2004 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got a call from my mechanic again this arvo, saying that the radiator is shagged, apparently it had a blockage in there that couldnt be flushed out, also contributing to the overheating episode Embarassed so what was once an almost acceptable quote of just under $450 has blown out to almost $800 including the forementioned parts in the previous post, plus an exchange radiator and the associated labour costs. Sad No good. No mention of head gasket damage ir head damage yet, so that must be a good thing (unless they are waiting to spring it on me last minute) should be ready by tomorrow lunchtime, but lack of dosh prevents me from getting it until thursday arvo Sad
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Overheating when the temp gauge says normal? Grrr! Mon, 16 August 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
head gasket & head machining, unless the heat fried a plug and/or wire.
it wasn't a "cardinal sin" at all!!
it was either OK, or done for, or almost done for. unless you let it get over 110 again, it hasn't been harmed anymore then it already was, and does No Additional Harm unless the oil has been displaced by water/coolant.
oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
Re: Overheating when the temp gauge says normal? Grrr! Mon, 16 August 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as I know, it didnt get to that stage. The mechanic said it would be ready by tomorrow lunchtime, so I highly doubt that any significant damage was done to the head, otherwise it would be in for a considerably longer length of time and cost a $hitload more. I did however drive it from Gold Cost to Noosa and back last weekend, obviously unaware of the problems lying within the cooling system, just lucky i didnt get stuck up there becuase I would really have been up the proverbial creek without a paddle
oldskoolrolla
Regular

September 2002
Re: Overheating when the temp gauge says normal? Grrr! Tue, 17 August 2004 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just an update, got the final costing for this little overheating escapade: $804.85 .. I guess the one good thing out of all this is that there was no head or head gasket damage, I made sure I got that cleared up. Embarassed All thats left to replace now is the fan sensor unit, which is on the blink, but the guys down the workshop have temporarily fixed it for now.
Its all ready to go, I've been lost without my baby Confused
Still cant pick it up till thursday arvo though Sad Crying or Very Sad
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Overheating when the temp gauge says normal? Grrr! Tue, 17 August 2004 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perhaps it just means it's normal to overheat? Razz

It's late and I'm deliberately sleep deprived.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Overheating when the temp gauge says normal? Grrr! Tue, 17 August 2004 15:38 Go to previous message
ask if they've re-torqued the head.
i'd consider it a necessity for anything overheated, near cooked, that HASN'T blown the gasket, and just general maintance for anything else.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:airfilter on 4kc
Next Topic:3TGTE TA22...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 10:34:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061838626861572 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.