Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
acreese
Regular

May 2004
3SGTE with S-53 Wed, 26 May 2004 10:30 Go to next message
Hello there,

i am about to undertake an engine swap to a 3S-GTE (Gen 2) into my ST162 Celica. I have read many many posts on this swap and know enough to understand what i am getting into.

My specific question relates to the ST162 celica and its gearbox.

i want to use the stock box for now in the project. Can anyone tell me for certain whether the starter motor will become an issue. Some say yes, it gets in the way of the turbo.... and so on, however there are many ppl that have done this swap into ST162s and ST184s and have used the S-53 gearbox. if anyone here has had experience with this setup please post here and let me know if it was necessary to relocate the startermotor or whatever....

cheers.
Adam, first time poster, long time reader
  Send a private message to this user    
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: 3SGTE with S-53 Wed, 26 May 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your st162 has a 3sfe motor currently in it, then u can use ur gearbox no probs.it will be a straight swap.if your car has a 3sge in it curently then ur gearbox will only work with modifications.eg.relocating the starter motor.
other gearbox options are a sw21 camry s53, hybrid mr2 box/also mr2 lsd box, gt4 box, camry v6.....

i personally am going to use the sv21 box,seing that i hav a 3sge and don't want to move the starter motor on my orig box. Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 26 May 2004 10:39]

acreese
Regular

May 2004
Re: 3SGTE with S-53 Wed, 26 May 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm as i thought. i have 3SGE, Gearbox has had some synchros done recently aswell. Bitchin... Is it simple to moderately difficult to move the starter motor about? is it just a case of finding space for it?

I will have access to a good cheap mechanic so the additional time spent wont be a biggy.

If it is a real hassle and nearly impossible, i guess i have a Very Good Condition S-53 Manual for sale.

fingers crossed

Adam
Dreamer
Newcomer

August 2004
Re: 3SGTE with S-53 Mon, 16 August 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys, I have just found this forum Smile

Adam I am doing the exact same conversion as you, and I'm in perth also...

I am obviouslly also faced with the problem of relocating the starter motor. Has anyone done it, if so how did you do it?

Adam I dont think its just a matter of finding space for it, as the turbo starter motor goes into the bellhousing from the opposite direction than the non turbo one!

Thanks for any help guys.
These look like great forums Smile

Jason
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 3SGTE with S-53 Mon, 16 August 2004 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only person I know who has relocated it is a guy here named " 3sge_man " (pm him if you want) but he said all he did was use the gt4 started motor, lined it up with the holes that are already there, you'll need to use a thread tap and make threads in the holes, then he used the right size hole saw and drilled it out. That way it bolts in from the opposite side, oh and you'll need some new bolts for the new threads you made. pretty easy, I was looking at doing that with mine, cause the box behind my 3sgte is about to shit itself.

Good luck guys Wink
Dreamer
Newcomer

August 2004
Re: 3SGTE with S-53 Mon, 16 August 2004 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanks wiso... that could be an option.
I'll pm 3sge man aswell
GT4BOOSTD
Regular

August 2004
Re: 3SGTE with S-53 Tue, 17 August 2004 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys i am currently undertaking the same conversion. My motor is fitted in just needs to be wired up. To answer your question i will tell you what i have done. I sourced a camry starter motor for $50 from the wreckers drilled out whole on fwd gear box ( has a circle already located just needs to be drilled) and the tapped this and strater motor fits neatly and works fine from this location.
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: 3SGTE with S-53 Tue, 17 August 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah well what i did was that u should get a starter with your half cut from the gt-4!

On the bell houseing of the 3s-ge s-53 box fromthe out side and box side you'll see the square/flat area that back the starter when it on the 3s-ge (just above the slave cylinder). it will have two pre drill holes of about 5-7mm these are PERFECTLY lined up for the gt-4 starter, all u need to do is go to the local hardware get a 10mm (about that) drill bit, a tap to suit the drill, (or a drill bit to suit the tap, lol) and then ask for two high tensile bolts about 30-40mm long and maybe some washers to suit (just use ones laying around!). then drill out thoes pre-drilled holes from the factory and then tap them and check if the bolts turn in nice and true!

Then from the engine side of view u can see some circle's that out line the size of the hole u need to make of the starter to fit threw! it is quite thin there, cause Toyota would of made a billion of them bell housings and just if needed one for a 3s-fe, gt-4 etc just punched out a hole for it!, did it with a compass and simple ruling to get a middle piont and used a hole saw, piece of piss!

Nezza Cool
Dreamer
Newcomer

August 2004
Re: 3SGTE with S-53 Thu, 26 August 2004 08:19 Go to previous message
Thanks for the reply!

unfortunately in the end we seemed to have a different gearbox. I thought it must of been a s-53 and it came off the 3sgte but the starter motor hole was different Sad
Basically this made it impossible to cut it to make the starter fit, as the bellhousing was slightly different :/

We ended up getting a freshly rebuilt camry gearbox.

Also the mechanic work off the conversion is now done, just waiting on the wiring, which i didnt want to get involved in...

Parts we used:
GT4 flywheel and new gt4 clutch
camry gearbox (89-93 model)
original ST162 crossmembers used
gearbox mounts from ST185 GT4
front and back of engine mounts from original ST162 3SGE
clutch slave cylinder was interchangeable
throttle cable from ST162 used, at the end of its thread
driveshafts from 3SGE used
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cheap place for rebuilds
Next Topic:Suspension setup + TEMS.. making the rider harder?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 01:38:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005047082901001 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.