Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sam4A-GE_Seca
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004
SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Fri, 13 August 2004 13:16 Go to next message
hey all i crashed my AE82 twin cam and its time to move on. Im tossing up between Rolla SX (hatch or seca) and the ST162 Celica SX. what are peoples opinions? anyone driven them side by side? I know the 162 can be had in 3SFE and 3SGE and that the GE has more power. whats the pick from those 2 and how can i tell which engine it has when i look at them?
  Send a private message to this user    
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Fri, 13 August 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got the same problem Laughing either ae92 or 3sge st165 celica... Help is appreciated Very Happy
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Fri, 13 August 2004 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pritty sure the ST165 is the GT Four all wheel drive 3S-GTE there dimmy.

The Celica SX has the 3S-GE. The Celica FX (is it FX? SF? It's F something, I remember thinking it's the same as the engine code) has the 3S-FE.

I would probably go the AE92 SX, probably in Seca form but either is nice. I just like the early 90s cars.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Fri, 13 August 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the celica st162 ST has the 3s-fe, as well as other numerous differences, including 4 stud wheels, available in coupe version and less power features.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Fri, 13 August 2004 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seca's are teh ghey Razz

My vote would obviously be for the SX hatch over the ST162 (simply because I own one) but the 3SGE is a pretty strong motor, and the extra 0.4L gives a nice healthy amount of torque that the 4AGE is lacking..

At the end of the day if you like all things equally, it's just going to come down to what's in your price-range.

I'd personally steer clear of buying a modfied one, but stock (and non-thrashed) examples of both cars are getting harder and harder to find. Confused
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Sat, 14 August 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Sat, 14 August 2004 00:58

I'm pritty sure the ST165 is the GT Four all wheel drive 3S-GTE there dimmy.

The Celica SX has the 3S-GE. The Celica FX (is it FX? SF? It's F something, I remember thinking it's the same as the engine code) has the 3S-FE.

I would probably go the AE92 SX, probably in Seca form but either is nice. I just like the early 90s cars.

Oh Embarassed my bad...i just found out it is a ST162. Looks great i reckon Very Happy

[Updated on: Sat, 14 August 2004 00:47]

Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Sat, 14 August 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My vote would go for the SX Rolla...

Newer, better features and a better car in my opinion...
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Sat, 14 August 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boy This brings back memories

I was debating between the celica sx st162, a ae82 twincam and a ae93 Corolla Hatch SX, for about 6 months. I put everything into consideration, fuel costs, spare parts, available modification parts, initial price, insurance etc...

I ended up with the celica sx st162 but that was after numerous drives of the celica sx, ae82 twincam and the ae93 corolla sx.

I'll give u my opinion on the corolla sx and st162... (coz u already know what the ae82 is like)

Ok lets start off, Corolla sx are a bit rare but easier to narrow down what ur after, because they come in only red and white, manual, and with the 4age 100kw. These cars drive relatively similar to a ae82 twincam, only the engine is smoother (partly due to the removal of tvis), power comes on smoother and the mid range is more pronounced. They still rev out to 7700 (as i've found out on one of my test drives) but the difference here is that the 100kw 4age has a tiny bit more torque, 147nm over the standard 137 i believe on the ae82 twincams so its quite a nice difference. Peak power is at 7000rpm. The corolla sx is very comfortable indeed, with seats that support you quite well. Not quite as good value as the ae82 twincam in fun but still a nice performer, 0-100 comes in at around 9.3 seconds and 1/4 in about 16.5 seconds, Great little car, looking at around 4.5k-6k depending on condition.

Now to start off with the celica sx, Now i'll put this straight and try and keep the bias as little as possible and say it how it is...
The st162 is a fantastic little machine, the engine can be described as an uprated version of the 4age 86kw. Torque has been rated up due to the increased capacity of the 3sge, which is 103kw and 173nm of torque, the car weighs roughly 1150kgs, which equals a 0-100 of about 9.4 seconds and 1/4 of 16.5 seconds. The car has really nice response due to the extra torque down below, picks up from quite low, and revs to 7300rpm. Thats pretty damn awesome for a 2 litre, peak power is at 6000rpm. The st162s come in a ST model, which has downrated brakes (drums at the bacck i think), downrated engine (3sfe with 87kw or something similar), and lacks the real bite from the 3sge motor. The st162 also come in automatic, from driving one they aren't bad at all but u feel like ur just pointing and shootin with the automatic, defeats the point of the sports car.
the st162 has a certain style to it, you sit nice and low, steering feel is really nice. The st162 goes from 1986 to 1989, with some of the 1986-1987 models u can find full electrics, usually electric windows and mirrors with some of them coming with a sunroof which tilts and opens. The 1988-1989 i believe came with full electrics standard with some of them having the gt4 seats, which are full bucket seats. I was lucky to get them on my 1986 model (full factory options in my case, YAY).

The st162 just like the corolla sx have a bit of bodyroll but nothing really major, i replaced the springs in my st162 with some king springs and was really quite a big difference.

Both cars take modifications really quite well,
2" to 2.25" exhaust, extractors, cold air intake, king springs, rear sway bar

With those sort of modifications you'll have a very fun car either way...

Both are very good cars, as i was told, it depends if u want a hot hatch, or else a sports car.

Reason i chose the st162 over the corolla sx/ae82 twincam was due to the fact that they are a very fun car, which have a very sporty feel to it, an engine which has a very smooth feel to it, very nice features and a very sexy look to it hahaha.
My cars listed just below my post if u'd like to take a look.

And yeah this is the link to my post about the topic when i was buying my car and comparing a few cars, should help i reckon

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=26580&prevloaded=1&rid=3960&S=5d32d5 1676efd4c950effb88070de53b&rev=&reveal=&am p;start=0&count=60
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Sat, 14 August 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man you know you want a AE92/93. Have you seen the Corolla SX comercial? That would totally swing you. I hate FFs and everything about the car, but that ad! Its insane! BUY ONE NOW!
Sam4A-GE_Seca
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Sat, 14 August 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive been leaning to the AE92 rolla SX as i have a AE82 currently. but this is making me more confused. i guess ill follow the advice of keep looking and road testing both and get the best one i find out of the two.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Sat, 14 August 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did my post help at all??
700 ish words of goodness hahaha
I've written less for english essays in year 12!

Try out the celica sx, they are awesome fun, they have a more racy feel than the 100kw i reckon, overal just a more sporty car with like sunroof etc, some corolla sx come with a sunroof but quite rare, some models come with electrics too hehe

But try out them, both cars are really impressive, it will be something u'll just have to have a feel for urself..

dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Sat, 14 August 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx SR Twincam... i'll probably give my one a try... Very Happy
Sam4A-GE_Seca
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Sat, 14 August 2004 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if only those yr 12 essays were about St162 Celicas you would have got top marks!!! its making me more confused. i guess i have to road test both before making a decision. ive seen a "white lightning" version of the Celica SX what extra features do they have? do all SX celicas have sunroof and fast glass? is the sunroof electric or manual?
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Sun, 15 August 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam4A-GE_Seca wrote on Sat, 14 August 2004 20:49

if only those yr 12 essays were about St162 Celicas you would have got top marks!!! its making me more confused. i guess i have to road test both before making a decision. ive seen a "white lightning" version of the Celica SX what extra features do they have? do all SX celicas have sunroof and fast glass? is the sunroof electric or manual?

LMAO
Thanx heaps hehehe As mentioned i tried to be as least bias as possible and say it how it is as much as possible ...
A road test will help heaps, it did for me..
White lightning were in 1989 i believe as a limited edition, which had full electrics, pretty sure had sunroof standard. The SX celicas had electric sunroofs.
They were only panel roofs, if they are fast glass/moon roof u know that its aftermarket, i'd say try go geniuene, that way u know its been done by toyota, but glass roofs won't rust hehe..

Good luck with ur hunt, honestly a test drive will show ya what these toyotas are really like...
Tell us how u go,
I look forward

Very Happy
I know which one ur gonna prefer (i'll start finding ya a celica Laughing Laughing Laughing )
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Sun, 15 August 2004 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heres a little advert about the white lightning and its features..
Its worth the download!!!

http://img65.exs.cx/img65/6297/005.th.jpg
Sam4A-GE_Seca
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Sun, 15 August 2004 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i just got an insurance quote off AAMI for a Celica SX................. $2100/year! Shocked

so thats a no go Crying or Very Sad

So Corolla SX or RV it is!

I might just go and road test one just to see how they feel.

im tempted to quote the insurance on the camry powered ST.

[Updated on: Sun, 15 August 2004 05:13]

TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Sun, 15 August 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AAMI is $2100?
Have u tried any others?
I'm paying $410 on rating 6 for it third party fire and theft

Don't put it out of the question because of a bad insurance quote, I reckon if anything go the corolla sx over the rv due to the more impressive engine.
Corolla sx will be quite similar insurance

Regards
Adrian
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Sun, 15 August 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that must have been in your own name, yeah the SX is better that the RV which has the 7a-fe i think
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Sun, 15 August 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a white lighting, i love it. I would recommend the celica. When i was lookin for mine it had the same choice. Would have taken any but i found my car first and at the right price. Either of the cars will make you very happy.
ROLLA GTi
Regular

September 2003
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Sun, 15 August 2004 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you like you old corolla?

of so upgrading to an AE92 SX/GTi is a logical step,

P.s. Get a Hatch Cool
-Talasas-
Regular

July 2004
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Sun, 15 August 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can vouch that the SX are a fine car indeed Very Happy Very Happy
Having previously owned an AE82 it was a nice move up to the SX.
And if you do buy the Seca - it is actually the top model Evil or Very Mad hence why it has the velour interior Smile (that's asking for it)

They do go hard with little modification and corner well with the right suspension setup.

That's my two cents.

If you have further questions PM me or e-mail me.
ROLLA GTi
Regular

September 2003
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Sun, 15 August 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The SX hatch got Velour too,

the GTi and Seris 2 Seca missed out
Secaism
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Mon, 16 August 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i say get out there and test drive both cars before you make a decision, they are both top cars, both go quite well

p.s get a seca sx Very Happy
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Tue, 17 August 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had both a AE92 SX hatch and (before) a ST162. I would not hesitate to recommend the Celica - yes thay are a bit more cramped inside and older but (stock for stock) they handle MUCH better than the Corolla.
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Tue, 17 August 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im kinda in the same position im looking for either a sx st162 or an ae82 twin cam
ive decided that im going to go for first one i can find of either thats in the best condition for the best price kinda thing. so for me its going to be luck of the draw Very Happy
FLYNSX
Regular

May 2003
    flyn
Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Tue, 17 August 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think every1 knows were my vote stands Very Happy
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: SX Dilemma!!! Celica or Corolla Tue, 17 August 2004 07:00 Go to previous message
I have an ST162 Celica SX, it's a great car and if you get one in good nick then you will be very happy with it.

I noticed there hasn't been an answer to your question about how to tell the two engines apart yet, so I'll do that for you.

The ST162 Celica came in two versions, the SX and the ST. The SX came in liftback form only and has the 3SGE engine, identified by the letters "T-VIS" in the intake manifold. It also has "3SGE" on a sticker on the timing belt cover. The ST could be either a liftback or a coupe and has the 3SFE engine which has "EFI" on the intake manifold.

The SX is the version to go for, the ST was merely the entry level version. The ST has rear drum brakes (rear discs on the SX) and 13 in wheels on a 4 stud pattern (14 inch wheels on a 5 stud pattern on the SX).

Hope that helps (if you decide to go for a Celica that is!)

-Matt
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:10,705mpg...
Next Topic:painted my car today....
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:18:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.008141040802002 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.