Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 05:45 Go to next message
Hey all,

just a question of taste really - what do you all think lambo doors (lift upwards - not gullwing) would look like on a ra23...

I'll do a photoshop of it later tonight when I get home from Tafe - and see what you all think Smile

I'm considering the conversion - just cos I think it would be something different Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its crossed my mind on the ra28 Cool
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would look like this on an RA28...

http://homepage2.nifty.com/auto-design/auto-design002001.jpg

Look Here http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=20788&rid=1111&S=51f3f4904606e9601af8ce9 1b927e8fc&pl_view=&start=0#msg_170726msg_1 70726
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair enough looks sexy to me Very Happy
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They look sweet, but the kits to do it properly are pretty expensive...I vaugely remember $2000 or so.
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont really care about the doors, but that front lip that moulds into the front flares looks dead sexy

and lambo style doors (not gullwing like them ones above) would be waaaaay too hard - you'd have to cut the roof (losing stuctural support) and somehow attach that part of roof to the door, which is pretty hard when there is no frame around the window. overall i think it would just weaken lots of parts of a perfectly good car
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambo style doors aren't that hard... Don't have to cut the roof at all...

Metal King does them... Give them a call and question it... And $2000??? Thats cheap as chips...
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And engineering them is a bastard...
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they look mad.. and its definately 2000 worth of work
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone evey lifted a lambo door? seriously?

...cause the RA23/RA40 doors are mighty heavy little bastards...

(unless you rebuilt doors with alloy )

you'd need some serious hydraulics or springs heliping you lift it up... plus the door/car frame would probably requires serious modification to suit - $2k might be good start...
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
<oops> double psot... sorry

[Updated on: Tue, 17 August 2004 10:38]

Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That price is for a generic set of hinges and it is in US dollars (2-2.5K)

you need to modify the RA doors to hold lateral wind loads and yes some fancy work with the hydraulics.
grim boy
Regular

June 2002
Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok just to set a fue thing on the level , first off the car in the picture has gull wing doors , the metal king door kitd dont open like a lambo door and are realy doggy ,and lambo doors are realy heavy id go as far as saying heaver than a 23 or 28 and trust me i open lambo doors every day , to do a lambo door on a 28 or 23 you would need to make a two way hindge that opend out a fraction first then went up , would be very hard just a little bit of mucking round , could be done for less than 2k tho
Dennis
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I bet Lambo doors aren't too popular on convertibles Very Happy

seeyuzz
river
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grimboy-Gullwing doors pivot from the roof! they are called that because they open like wings! eg.delorean
those pictured are not quite lambo doors but are close enuf to be called Lambo!

lifting a door is much lighter than a bootlid full of glass. its just a matter of selecting an appropriate gas strut or linear actuator to assist or electrically lift it

http://www.autoloc.com/products/lambo.lasso

in all honesty i wouldnt bother with regular lambo. since thers soo much fab going into it why not suicide lambo?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alainve wrote on Wed, 18 August 2004 00:16

in all honesty i wouldnt bother with regular lambo. since thers soo much fab going into it why not suicide lambo?

What do the doors open out and down, like a bridge??? Very Happy
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would like to see it proffesionally done and I think that would look a lot better than the kits. But it would take some extensice mods to do it "properly". I looked at doing this on mine and it is too difficult. The glass curves in for a start, the roof would need to be modded and the doors are pillarless, so it would need to somehow seal from coming straight down.

I am not a fan of those kits, mainly because you still have to open them out, then up. Plus I would be paranoid that someone new would go to open the door as per normal, pull hard to open and then goodbye hinge.
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You guys all have heaps of valid points...

damn making me think about the reality of it all Very Happy

I didn't get a chance to do my photoshop on the ra23 last night - will probably be thursday sometime now....

some of the kits that I've seen retail around the $2500 mark...seen a couple for supras / new celicas but not for anything older...

If i do end up doing it I'll probably have the doors custom made so they are light and have some other features I want in a door..

(like what you might ask....shhhh its a secret) Very Happy
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: lamborghini doors Tue, 17 August 2004 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

thechuckster wrote on Tue, 17 August 2004 20:31

anyone evey lifted a lambo door? seriously?

...cause the RA23/RA40 doors are mighty heavy little bastards...

Use an RA25 or TA27 door. These doors are lighter for they do not have the side intrusion bars. Not good if you get whacked on the door by another vehicle, but lighter to lift up like a Lambo door. Besides, after adding all the weight (hydrulics, hinges, etc) to raise the doors, you could do with a lighter door.

seeyuzz
river
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: lamborghini doors Wed, 18 August 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And then You would never get it engineered without side intursion bars.

The hinges that appear in the commecial kits available are a 2 stage opening type hinge. first the door opens about 6 inches conventionally to clear the door frame from the A-pillar then the door is lifted into the upright position. the result is very clunky and althou looks good when open, it looks pretty dodgy while opening. This type of hinge is a split scissor hinge.

A true Scissor hinge (lamboghini style) opens in one direction only and that is up. in the case of the RAXX application it would involve modifiing the roof to let the door pass, modifying the door to arc open and the front guards to allow the door to arc open. plus modification to the door itself to stop the door in the open position from being blown onto the roof of the car when open as this type of force isn't usually put on the door.

A gullwing door is a door the opens from the roof line like the DeLorean or the old merc Gullwing. Unless you really want it it is a bit of a waste of time in a pillarless door frame.

The way to look at it is to take cues from the Sera and the more modern attempts at Scissor Doors and create a 2D opening door that opens out and up in 1 motion (similar to the doors on the black one above) that would be way cool.

The ones I've got on the drawing board are the split type but I'm not happy with them so I'm trying a few other ways.

Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: lamborghini doors Thu, 19 August 2004 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A little while back there were some plans for this for sale on ebay they said it would cost around $1000 if u got the machine done right this price did not include labour.
If u guys want a car to test on you can use my SA63 if not When i perfect it i"ll pay u guys to fix them to my car.
It's been a Dream of mine since i was just a little kid( i had a Toycar i rode around in with doors like that). I was also thinking if u needed hydro help to lift the door u could have a small air tank in the boot and a compresser. Then set it up so when u unlock the doors (assuming u have remote central locking)
The doors could open for you (men in black 2 style).
What do u guys recon ?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: lamborghini doors Fri, 20 August 2004 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah and then when the doors opened you could knock people out...

Now that would be fucken sweet, i reckon mookie is on the money here becuase if a compressor can lift or lower a vehicle then surely it could do the doors?
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: lamborghini doors Fri, 20 August 2004 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And if gas struts can lift a boot they will provide enough assistance to open a Scissor door.

Althou hydraulic would be way Cool Cool
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: lamborghini doors Fri, 20 August 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alainve wrote on Wed, 18 August 2004 02:46

Now thats a good idea.

Set the door up so it slides straight out 6 inches or so and then tilts back and up with the pivot at the bottom rear corner of the door. The mechanism could be hidden behind the rear trim panel and should seal well even with pillarless doors.
Mind you I'm not any kind of engineer so the finer details are not my problem. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Callum
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: lamborghini doors Fri, 20 August 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Purple_Beasty wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 17:11

Mind you I'm not any kind of engineer so the finer details are not my problem. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Callum

Laughing

I like that, That is good.
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: lamborghini doors Fri, 20 August 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what happens when you want to get out in a carpark. wont the doors hit the car parked next to you?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: lamborghini doors Fri, 20 August 2004 08:57 Go to previous message
its obviously not a conversion that you would do on youre average daily driver...Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Bathurst Sprinters?
Next Topic:Toyota power - cool pic
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 21:19:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070130825042725 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.