Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
creppervl
Occasional Poster

August 2004
RA28 Work Mon, 16 August 2004 16:08 Go to next message
Hey All,

have the chance to pick up a nice 77 ra28, but she needs some work. The engine needs a rebuild, and while its apart, I'd like to work it out a bit to get some more grunt fromt the engine (original engine).

What i was wondering is, how much would a rebuild cost (assuming its got a cracked/blown head) and doing the labour myself?

Also, what is the best modifications this engine can recieve? I intend on a nice port job and maybe a new cam but it comes down to what goes best in the engine (so thats why i ask you guys Smile

cheers in advance,

creeper
  Send a private message to this user    
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: RA28 Work Mon, 16 August 2004 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't bother wasting your time with the 18R-C. I know you want to work with what you've got but you'll spend far less in the long run for a far better result by bolting in an 18R-G.

It's based on the same bottom end but features two dual throat sidedraft carubrettors, dual overhead camshafts, crossflow head, big valves, and around 140HP in healthy standard form.

It's all spanner work and you can find a reasonable running example for ~$500 or rebuilt ones for <$1000.

As a bonus you'll have arranged a spare anchor for your boat.
creppervl
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: RA28 Work Mon, 16 August 2004 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh ok, i never even new this type of engine was around. Can you give me any more info on it?? like what cars it came in, what baoxes it can pair with... I'm looking around google and it seems like theres alot of potential in it.

Is this the best price:power swap for the 28?? I'm pretty new to celicas, so i have to ask alot of questions Wink

thanks again,
creeper
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: RA28 Work Mon, 16 August 2004 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's unlikely you'd find it in a half-cut. It's the motor originally fitted to many 70s and early 80s Toyotas, including the GT model of RA28 in Japan. Because of this with the sump and engine mounts from your car the motor will bolt straight in to the standard transmission and crossmember.

Standard cooling and ignition systems will be compatible.

A new exhasut header will be required as the manifold design and flange pattern is different (crossflow head v. non crossflow).

Standard brakes are fine.

Standard diff is fine.

This is because all these parts are common between all models of RA28, including our model and Japan's GT model.
creppervl
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: RA28 Work Mon, 16 August 2004 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that sounds like the way to go for sure. Do they come up often? I'd imagine theyd be quite rare given how good they are (/sound) Whats the best place for finding these generally?

if it did come to putting an 18R-G into the 28, how much would it benefit from a port job, better cams, nice headers etc...??
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Work Mon, 16 August 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keep your eye on the forsale section right here at ToyMods; 18R-G's come up for sale fairly regularly.

The 18R-G will benefit from well-chosen cams and headers, just like any engine. I wouldn't bother with a port job though - they already have enormous ports and they flow extremely well as they are.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: RA28 Work Tue, 17 August 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keeping an eye here on Toymods and occasionally in the trading post and you will find an 18rg.

They are piss easy to chuck in, i had never even touched a motor before and i managed to swap in an 18R-G without a problem. The same gearbox bolts up (celica 5 speed, called a W50), and everything else is bolt in.

YOu will need to replace the trottle links with a cable, which requires a little work, but nothing a trip to the wreckers cant fix (trying accel pedals from different cars).
creppervl
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: RA28 Work Tue, 17 August 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll be keeping an eye out then, see what prices theyre going for. Do they usually sell whole as in with all parts?

a bonus if theyre easy to install, i can do mechanical stuff okay so thats good. What other gearbox options are available in the manual variety? I'm not clued up on boxes, but as far as i know its supra/celica/corolla boxes??? dont know model numbers tho..

creeper
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA28 Work Tue, 17 August 2004 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stock gearbox is the W50, sometimes known as the Celica steel-case 5-speed.

As for other options, the only direct fit I can think of is the W55/57/58, ie alloy-case Celica/Supra 5-speed. With an R series bellhousing (eg from RA60/65 Celica) this will bolt up to your engine, but you'll need tailshaft mods and a custom gearbox crossmember. I plan to do this in my RA23 eventually, it's a much nicer box than the old W50; better shift, lighter and stronger!
creppervl
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: RA28 Work Tue, 17 August 2004 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so basically for ease of installation and a good increase in power to cost, i should go for the 18rgu with the original w50 box. That sound right? Smile

what do you guys think of the rgu? as in the feel, power delivery etc...?
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: RA28 Work Tue, 17 August 2004 08:38 Go to previous message
Sounds pretty right, yes.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:97 camry stud pattern
Next Topic:Chain Tensioner Leaking Oil...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 13:16:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.032212018966675 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.