Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Digital Cameras Sun, 15 August 2004 00:52 Go to next message
Hi all,

as most of the SA crew know - I broke two digital cams over the last week (various reasons) and I'm about to buy a new one...

I'm looking in the semi pro / high end consumer range...

the three cams I'm looking at:

Olympus c8080 http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/c8080. html

Fuji Finepix 7000
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/s7000. html

Nikon coolpix 8700
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/nikon8 700.html

Does anyone have any comments / suggestions / war stories that might sway my decision?

Cheers for any help Smile

Send a private message to this user    
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Digital Cameras Sun, 15 August 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I was buying a digital camera and not looking in the SLR range, then I wouldn't go past either of these two:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.h tml
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/pro1.h tml

(But I am slightly biased towards Canon)
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Digital Cameras Sun, 15 August 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just had a look at the pro1...

now the list is from four cameras Very Happy

I'm leaning a bit towards the olympus though....
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Digital Cameras Mon, 16 August 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why go prosumer when you can go SLR?

The ability to change lenses is invaluable...

What sort of money are we talking about here BTW? I don't pay much attention to the high end digicams so I have no idea.
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Digital Cameras Mon, 16 August 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark --

Olympus is $1600.00
Fuji is around $1500.00
Canon pro 1 is around $1800.00

(all prices where estimates from the shop I spoke too)

I want digital and digital SLR is a bit too steep for my pocket...

why spend $4000 or so on a camera when that could go towards putting a 3sgte in my ra23 Very Happy

My feeling is to try and stay in the 'prosumer' range so that I can take high end photo's but not empty my pocket way too much for a camera, and not be making money off my shots for a good long time Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Digital Cameras Mon, 16 August 2004 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFAIK, the Canon 300D is $1600 with a 28-80mm lens?

Paul would know for sure.

[edit:
Maybe the price is $1800, but you should be able to talk them down to $1600.

I've seen a kit sell for $2200 which comes with (from memory) a 28-80mm lens as well as a 80-200mm lens, 256MB card, and extra battery.
]

[Updated on: Mon, 16 August 2004 00:49]

ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Digital Cameras Mon, 16 August 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Serious ...

wow...

That's pretty cheap for a digital slr...

from cannon aus website:

rrp --> $1999.00

probably cheaper from a retailer (or wholesale for those of us with connections Wink )

Damn now I'm gonna have to do another whole level of research - thanks Nark Razz
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Digital Cameras Mon, 16 August 2004 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Always happy to be of service.... Razz
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Digital Cameras Mon, 16 August 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW, I sent Paul a link on an article comparing prosumer vs DSLR a while back, not sure if he still has the link.

Basic conclusion was that even though the DSLRs were 6MP (compared to 8MP of the prosumers) they took better photos because of the superior lenses.
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Digital Cameras Mon, 16 August 2004 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think I'm sold from what I'm reading here Smile

I like the idea of interchangeable lenses rather than just lens addon's (like the digitals) also the fact that its NOT that much more expensive than the pure digital....

I'll have to look at the other dslr range and see what compares Very Happy

I'd love to see that link Nark / Paul.... will help me make up my mind Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Digital Cameras Mon, 16 August 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to throw some more fuel on the fire.

For the price of the $1600 300D, you could buy a standard SLR like the Nikon F80 AND a point and shoot digicam...

The F80 is far superior than the lower end DSLRs and takes photos in the right colour (which the DSLRs still can't do). Plus, you have the convenience of a tiny digicam that you can take everywhere with you.

Best of both worlds rather than an all-in-one compromise.
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Digital Cameras Mon, 16 August 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark,

now you're just being difficult and making me research too much...

probably the one reason I don't want a regular slr - is that I can't be assed getting the shots developed...

with digital - I can do everything myself (I can develop film - I just can't be bothered) in quick easy steps - from taking the photo through to editing - and finally printing (I have access to an a0 printer that prints at way way too high a resolution) Very Happy

it's the whole lazy thing - I want nice quick and simple without getting others to do what I'm too lazy to do Very Happy

Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Digital Cameras Mon, 16 August 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what I've seen, many places our now selling the 300D at $1800 with a $200 cashback offer from Canon. The standard lense that this comes with is an 18-55mm (multiply by 1.6 = 28-88mm). There are also other deals going where they'll sell it to you for around $2200 with an additional zoom lense (80-200 i think?) plus a 256Mb memory card or maybe a tripod..

So really it's $1600 plus whatever accessories you want. Many of the prosumer types have 10x optical zoom, which is better than what you'll get from the basic lense that comes with the 300D - but if you don't mind buying bits at a time, it's a good way to get everything you want without paying for it all at once.. Or do what I did and buy the camera just before your birthday or Christmas - Then when people ask what to get you, you've got an instant list of lenses and accessories ready Laughing

ra23mad - How much does printing cost you on that printer? Reckon we could work out some sort of "arrangement"? Wink
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Digital Cameras Mon, 16 August 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lucid thanks for the info:

printing --> I'll get the price list --> just can't print anything that could be deemed 'innapropriate' Sad I tried to print out a mustang with a bikini chick and got told no...

I think the cannon 300d is gonna be the cam I buy too - has all the right features and right price range Wink
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Digital Cameras Tue, 17 August 2004 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I so want a higher end digi-cam. But how damn expensive are they! its nuts... I dont spose someone knows someone who is selling a bunch of digi cams that fell off a truck?

Or wheres a good place for 2nd hand stuff, ebay.. tradingpost? some camera site?
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Digital Cameras Tue, 17 August 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23mad wrote on Mon, 16 August 2004 22:14

lucid thanks for the info:

printing --> I'll get the price list --> just can't print anything that could be deemed 'innapropriate' Sad I tried to print out a mustang with a bikini chick and got told no...

No no.. wouldn't want to get anything like that done.. just wondering what some of my shots would look like in a kick-arse large re-print..

Pics like these could look good on the wall in "ultra large" Smile

http://www.luc1d.net/other/bali/IMG_3128.jpg

http://www.luc1d.net/other/bali/IMG_3481.jpg

*Hopefully more encouragement for you to get a 300D* Wink
crayz legz
Regular

January 2004
Re: Digital Cameras Tue, 17 August 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have this camera http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/v1.htm l the sony DSC-V1 (well its a family used camera) and it seems to be pretty good and has many features including nightshot (it makes night look like day).

just my input-ben
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Digital Cameras Thu, 19 August 2004 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Canon 300D is an awesome camera. I finally bought one about 2 months ago and haven't looked back. Domayne had a deal last week where you get the 300D, 2 lenses, tripod and 256Mb CF card for $1999 from memory.
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Digital Cameras Fri, 20 August 2004 03:31 Go to previous message
Hmmm now that's a good deal -- I like the sound of that Smile

I think that's similar to the deal that I saw at Ted's too (SA)

I'll hunt - Thank you.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:where to buy cheap mechanic overalls
Next Topic:Looking for "who's your daddy" dinosaur animated GIF
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 20:34:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050010681152344 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.