Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Thu, 19 August 2004 10:43 Go to next message
Some pics of my unintentional 120kpm drift on the F3 yesterday and not so nice results.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~mr2/sc/index.html
  Send a private message to this user    
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Thu, 19 August 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn man Shocked glad your ok tho....is she insured?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Thu, 19 August 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to hear it buddy. Sad
That's a pretty impressive aquaplane!

What tyres did you have on it? Were you turning at the time - lane changeing or anything? Or just going straight?

Must have been pretty spooky!

-J-
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Thu, 19 August 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Car's fully insured... Embarassed
Going straight up the hill southbound from the Mooney bridge. Hit a big sheet of water over the road as I went back from 5th to 4th...
As I popped the clutch into 4th, the ass end glanced out left at 120ks plus... I let off and it flicked back right at a 90 degree and just slid like that for about 60m.. then the tree bounced me back around 180...
Not a fun feeling just being a passenger on wet road and grass with no hope of control... watching bits of bodykit disintergrate and fly all around you as you go Shocked . Then noticing approaching tree and pray that something spins you away from it then preparing for impact when you realise you not gonna miss it.
Ha ha... "happens in slow motion", is always true.
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Thu, 19 August 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Car's fully insured... Embarassed
Going straight up the hill southbound from the Mooney bridge. Hit a big sheet of water over the road as I went back from 5th to 4th...
As I popped the clutch into 4th, the ass end glanced out left at 120ks plus... I let off and it flicked back right at a 90 degree and just slid like that for about 60m.. then the tree bounced me back around 180...
Not a fun feeling just being a passenger on wet road and grass with no hope of control... watching bits of bodykit disintergrate and fly all around you as you go Shocked . Then noticing approaching tree and pray that something spins you away from it then preparing for impact when you realise you not gonna miss it.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Thu, 19 August 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When i see pictures like this, i start to think twice about driving unlicensed. Confused
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Thu, 19 August 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldnt be making it publicly known u drive unlicenced dude!
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Thu, 19 August 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adamb131 wrote on Thu, 19 August 2004 21:51

I can relate to that ... needs to happen once and you'd be extra careful driving like a granny in the wet then (for a while at least).

Bad luck for you - I feel your pain ... Sad
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Thu, 19 August 2004 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy crap! At 120km/hr that could have been alot worse! Good thing ur covered, and came out unscathed.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 August 2004 15:55]

clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Thu, 19 August 2004 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sue the rta for not building the road with enough angle to run the water off so it didn't flow in sheets. I've seen this all too often and you can't avoid it let alone see it till it's to late.

Good to see you're ok and hoefully she'll live again, but be evem betterer. No time like when the beaters have it apart to do some serious mods.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jesus.. .that sucks man.. good luck with gettin it back into shape
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so painful to see. i would of been one angry barstard when the car came to stop!
ellen
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe... toymods drivers should have their keys taken when it rains... another one bites the dust Wink hehe Laughing Laughing Laughing Evil or Very Mad
Billy-Mason PI
Regular

July 2003
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love being one of the safe motorists who use the F3 and have to put up with people tailgating/driving too fast for the conditions then sliding into other cars/off the road, then having to wait while all the rubber neckers have their look-see, so we end up being late to our destination.

"Hey, it's Monday and I'm going to be late again because that ute driver slide off the road whilst tailgating someone because he's a impatient cookie eater" Yay! Surprised

Billy-Mason PI
Regular

July 2003
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 08:30

Sue the rta for not building the road with enough angle to run the water off so it didn't flow in sheets. I've seen this all too often and you can't avoid it let alone see it till it's to late.

Good to see you're ok and hoefully she'll live again, but be evem betterer. No time like when the beaters have it apart to do some serious mods.

Good point.

While your suing, learn how to drive as well. Rolling Eyes
ellen
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good Tires + Speed balanced to Conditions + Basic Skills = Safe Trip in the rain on a freeway.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Billy-Mason PI wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 13:48

Good point.

Whilst most crashes in the rain are due to driver error, you can aquaplane at relatively low speeds, even when you are "driving to the conditions" - it's due the poor drainage of water off the road. Often you can't even see the sheet of water before you hit it. A lot of roads have crap drainage - even freshly built ones. It's an eerie feeling to have the car start sliding off the road out of control when you least expect it. Shocked I'm sure it'll happen to you one day and then maybe you won't be such a smart-arse about it.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its fucked when you aquaplane across a road, its happened to me a couple of times and luckily ive come out unscathed but one day it will get me.

Billy You are a fag...
Billy-Mason PI
Regular

July 2003
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I highly doubt it. I'm one of the best drivers who travel the F3. Cool

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its people like you that cause the serious accidents because you think you are the best drivers on the road and can do whatever the fuck they want...
Billy-Mason PI
Regular

July 2003
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 14:45

Its fucked when you aquaplane across a road, its happened to me a couple of times and luckily ive come out unscathed but one day it will get me.

Billy You are a fag...

hehehe, front hoopies are the ghey mang. Razz

You drink monkey wee for breakfast. Surprised

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Billy-Mason PI wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 14:21

Billy You are a fag...

hehehe, front hoopies are the ghey mang. Razz

You drink monkey wee for breakfast. Surprised

Yes FWD's are ghey...

As for the monkey wee bit well....whatever
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Billy-Mason PI wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 14:18

Good point.

well mister if u knew sooooooooooo much about driving that would mean a bit of expereince right Nod
well experience would mean u would know wot can happen when u aqua plain
and sometimes u cant do SHIT ALL cos when u aqua plain ur tyres DO NOT TOUCH THE GROUND they are PLAINING over the WATER Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin
obviously u dont have that much experience or else you would know this so just shut up and feel sorry for the man whos just lost part of his manhood Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad

sorry for getting testy but its the thruth
if race car drivers become passengers due to aqua plaining wot chance can a road registered car and driver have in this situation
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
olihaub wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 14:33

Billy-Mason PI wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 14:18

Good point.

well mister if u knew sooooooooooo much about driving that would mean a bit of expereince right Nod
well experience would mean u would know wot can happen when u aqua plain
and sometimes u cant do SHIT ALL cos when u aqua plain ur tyres DO NOT TOUCH THE GROUND they are PLAINING over the WATER Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin Eye Spin
obviously u dont have that much experience or else you would know this so just shut up and feel sorry for the man whos just lost part of his manhood Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad

sorry for getting testy but its the thruth
if race car drivers become passengers due to aqua plaining wot chance can a road registered car and driver have in this situation

Couldnt have said it better my self...

Billy this ones for you:

[Updated on: Fri, 20 August 2004 06:07] by Moderator

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 2c :

"driving to the conditions" means exactly that! ffs! "oh, but you cant see sheets of water" !! hello... its pissing down rain, we havent had any in AGES, hows about *anticipating* big sheets of water and slowing the fuck down? look at the first line of the thread:

Quote:

unintentional 120kpm drift

Rolling Eyes

there is ZERO excuse for accidents like this

....and yet everytime it rains, toymods fills up with "i crashed my car but im such a good driver" threads

Confused

maybe its 21st C natural selection...
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also it was obvious billy was trolling

no need to be so reactionary
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
olihaub wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 15:03

what the fuck are you doing comparing a race car driver on track to joe average on the freeway? explaint o me how theyre even *slightly* similar? are you daring to suggest that joe average is driving on the limit of controlability on a public freeway in the rain...

i wouldbe suprised if you were - hence the result we see before us

Rolling Eyes
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know Billy was trolling - if I drove a FWD Magna I'd be bitter about life and looking to score cheap shots on the internet too Razz

The point I am making is that aqua-planing can happen even when you are driving carefully (not that this thread is a good example of driving carefully) and that it's mainly a function of shitty road construction/maintanence. I've had it happen at very low speeds on a freeway when driving in the rain - and it's probably due to the fact that I was driving slowly that the car wiggled/slid but got back under control.

I've never crashed my car in the wet or dry (coz I'm such a good driver!) Laughing But commuting through the hills to work I always saw at least 1 crashed car every time it rained.....
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know he was trolling as well, but his trolling means i can say shit like that...

If he wants to post like a fuckhead then he has to expect shit like that being thrown at him... Very Happy
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 16:08

I've had it happen at very low speeds on a freeway when driving in the rain - and it's probably due to the fact that I was driving slowly that the car wiggled/slid but got back under control.

exactly

pity that concept seems lost on some folk Rolling Eyes
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aquaplaning can happen when driving carefully?. So its pissing down rain in a suburban area.. u know its around school time.. u cant see, the speed limit is 50.. and u go 25 and ur car can aquaplane?.. Im never driving in the rain again...

Rolling Eyes

Im really sorry to hear what happened man. But you were doing 120 in rain so heavy as to cause puddles for aquaplaning. This is basically half bad luck and half not driving to the conditions... Would it have happened at 90km/h? probably yes however you possibly might have missed that tree or evan perhaps had .5 of a second to back off the accel for the puddel. But its in the past now, perhaps you'll atleast go 110 next time it rains.

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hate driving on the f3 every day. If people could learn to only use the right lane when overtaking it'd be a much better world!

Every day have to put up with drivers in the right and middle lanes both going slow. Can get up their arse but they just ignore you.

Anyway.. rant over about f3 Smile
Billy-Mason PI
Regular

July 2003
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wowzers Shocked , I go away, have a freshly baked cookie and look at the response.

I'd firstly like to make an apology. I would like to apolgise to Adam (the dude that crashed his MR2), and Toymods, that my post wasn't the same as those above. Next time I will think like a f**king robot and post the same thing as everyone else, because it seems voicing a different opinion leaves you open to attack.

As for trolling, I've had three Toyotas prior to my Magna, love cars and do contribute on occasion, but most of my serious posts receive stupid replied anyway.

So why bother?

This forum is probably filled with P plate Corolla driving wankers who think their shopping cart is the sh** anyway.

Anyway I'm off. Keep those flames coming. It's hilarious to read. Surprised

ellen
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u have no idea... u will only aquaplane if your tires have exceeded the amount of water they can pump out per second.

SO .... If u slow down, your tires have more time to work like they are ment to.

Knowing most cars on this forums.. the tires were prob shagged out, you were speeding... its your own fault... Thank god for the rain.. we needit!

Learn to drive.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found this - it's a great explanation of the factors involved with aquaplaning. Note that it is more prevalent when travelling over 60 MPH (like say at 120 km/h!!!), but can happen at lower speeds depending on conditions.
Hydroplaning (Aquaplaning) - Smart Motorist

Hydroplaning (called aquaplaning in Europe and Asia) occurs when water on the roadway accumulates in front of your vehicle's tires faster that the weight of your vehicle can push it out of the way. The water pressure can cause your car to rise up and slide on top of a thin layer of water between your tires and the road. While hydroplaning your vehicle rides on top of the water, like a water skier on a lake. In less than a second, your car can completely lose contact with the road, putting you in immediate danger of sliding out of your lane. This usually happens at higher speeds, over 40 miles per hour. Try to imagine your vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed on a sheet of ice: that image approximates what will happen if you try to brake or steer while hydroplaning.

The 3 main factors that contribute to hydroplaning:

Vehicle speed. As speed increases, wet traction is considerably reduced. Since hydroplaning can result in a complete loss of traction and vehicle control, you should always reduce speed, paying attention to the traffic around you.

Tire tread depth. As your tires become worn, their ability to resist hydroplaning is reduced.

Water depth. The deeper the water, the sooner you will lose traction, although even thin water layers can cause a loss of traction, including at low speeds.

Let's examine what happens to a tire in the midst of a hydroplane. When entering a puddle, the surface of the tire must moves the water out of the way in order for the tire to stay in contact with the pavement. The tire compresses some of the water to the sides, and forces the remaining water through the tire treads. With good tires, a moderate rate of precipitation, and a well-drained roadway surface, hydroplaning rarely occurs below 55 mph. However, if any of those conditions are not met, it can happen at speeds as low as 35 mph.

On a smooth polished road in moderate rain at 60 mph, each tire has to displace about a gallon of water every second from beneath a contact patch no bigger than a size nine shoe. Each gripping element of the tread is on the ground for only 1/150th of a second; during this time it must displace the bulk of the water, press through the remaining thin film, and then begin to grip the road surface. Although bald tires give better grip on dry roads than treaded tires, they are unsafe in rain because water is a lubricant on rubber. (Also, punctures are more common in the rain.)

Hydroplaning science - Hydroplaning is the result of your tires moving quickly across a wet surface - so fast that they do not have sufficient time to channel that moisture away from the center of the tire. The result is that the tire is lifted by the water away from the road, losing all traction.

Of course the word 'quickly' is a relative term. Tread design, tread depth, weight of your vehicle, tire pressure, depth of water and even the consistency of that water - (whether it is highly aerated or not, for example) - all play a part in determining at what speed the tire will begin to hydroplane. It is a pretty safe bet to assume that any speed in excess of 60 MPH is fast enough to support hydroplaning regardless of the other variables. This is not to say that at 55 MPH you are safe, however.

The exact point at which your vehicle becomes waterborne is complicated and depends on all of the following variables:

tire size - the size and shape of a tire's contact patch has a direct influence on the probability of a hydroplane. The wider the contact patch is relative to its length, the higher the speed required to support hydroplaning.

tire tread pattern - certain tread patterns channel water more effectively, reducing the risk of hydroplaning.

tire tread depth - as your tires become worn, their ability to resist hydroplaning is reduced.

tire pressure - keep your tire pressure within the manufacturers recommended pressures.

water depth - the deeper the water, the sooner you will lose traction, although at higher speeds even thin water layers can cause a loss of traction.

water composition (oil, temperature, dirt, & salt can change its properties and density)

vehicle drive-train: because of their computer-assisted differentials, all-wheel-drive vehicles are more likely to hydroplane than two wheel drive vehicles in certain situations. A sudden uncontrolled transfer of power from the front tires to the rear tires can put a hydroplaning AWD vehicle out of control.

vehicle speed - as speed increases, wet traction is considerably reduced. Since hydroplaning can result in a complete loss of traction and vehicle control, you should always reduce speed.

vehicle weight - the lighter the vehicle, the more likely it is to hydroplane.

road surface type - non-grooved asphalt is considerably more hydroplane-prone than ribbed or grooved concrete surfaces.

How can you tell that you're hydroplaning? It is often hard to tell when you are hydroplaning. The rear end of your vehicle may feel a little squirrelly (loose, giving you the sensation that it has moved to one side or the other), especially in a high crosswind. The steering may also suddenly feel loose or little too easy. Watch the road ahead for standing or running water. You can also pay attention to the spray being kicked up by the cars in front. If it suddenly increases it's possible that the driver has hit a patch of water that could cause you to hydroplane.

What to do if you start to hydroplane - There are two absolutely essential no-no's to remember should you experience the beginning of hydroplaning:

Do not apply your brakes
Do not turn your steering wheel
If you find yourself hydroplaning, do not brake or turn suddenly. This could throw your car into a skid. Think of your steering wheel as the rudder of a boat(your vehicle is a boat when in the middle of a hydroplane). Hold the wheel firmly and don't steer in any other direction but straight ahead. Ease your foot off the gas until the car slows and your steering returns to normal. If you need to brake, do it gently with light pumping actions. If your car has anti-lock brakes, then brake normally; the car's computer will mimic a pumping action, when necessary. If your vehicle’s tires are still in partial contact with the road surface, you should be able to regain control of the vehicle in the same way that you would on snow or ice.

I love the ""exact point when your vehicle becomes waterborne" bit Smile All stolen from http://www.smartmotorist.com/rai/rai.htm

adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Driver error... shit!
I my crap set of rims and tyres on the car.
I was called to an urgent job in Sydney when I was only expecting to work locally. Where locally bad tyres in the wet are fine. I knew I was taking a risk in all that rain with those tyres... but just did not have time to do a 4 wheel tyre change with a scissor jack that morning before going to work. So before you jump to conclusions about my driving I guess you should think about that.. Yes, It was driver error... The driver did not have good tyres.
The car has 12kg springs rear and 8kg front and has had the front stabiliser links removed. The car is purposly set up to be Australias worst handling MR2 for a reason. I'll let you guess what that is.
Like I said, It was an unfortunate chain of events that let to the crash... as there always is.
I've had my lic. for 17 years and have been driving since I was 11. I'd happily take the Physical Challenge against ANY Knockers around Wakefield Park in my surviving NA AW11. Which is a different car with a set up, for a different purpose.
So the holyer-than-thou's can preach as much as they like it just serves to cement their ignorance.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It had to be near a tree.. Crying or Very Sad
I have aquaplained at 35-40km/h so it can happen any where. but thats the risk we take. Smile
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
question??

why are you shifting for 5th to 4th at 120km/hr?

unless you have stupid gear ratios like my car and can sit on 150 putting along in 4th.

Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can change down to 3rd in some cars at that speed. Did you heel and toe. If you didn't then thats probably why you spun. I make it a habbit to do it for every down change i can.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i could put my car back to 2nd at 120. but the fact comes. he's doing 120 on the highway in the rain, 120 is already speeding, roads very slipper, should he be nicely cruising at 120 not shifting down looking to push it further/harder?
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes. it probably didn't help the situation but if you do it properly a car shouldn't be affected by a gentle downchange from 5th to 4th with a little blip of the throttle. It was just one of those things i guess. Razz
ellen
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok.. so ur car is set up shit, you've got 4 shitter tyres on, it would have saved a lot of people that hassle, and also saved you nearly killing yourself if you'd had ur bucket defected and not been able to drive in the 1st place.

COMMON GUYS - get your cars road worthy.

If u wanna set your car up for drifting.. make it so u can for a track day, and then put it back to something a little more practical for the road.

Toymods should have a 'I crashed' section on the forums there are so many these days! Learn to drive, and stay safe.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Fri, 20 August 2004 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and the general direction of this thread makes perfect sense because everyone else at toymods are such darn good drivers and never make accidents themselves...

.. right?

Rolling Eyes

Wink

sux dude, sorry aboiut your car, glad you are ok. We learn form all our mistakes, and am glad you are around to help us learn from it to.. heheh, or at least get preached at

peace out boys, I am going to go put my flame suit on now... Very Happy
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Sat, 21 August 2004 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 21:05

You can change down to 3rd in some cars at that speed. Did you heel and toe. If you didn't then thats probably why you spun. I make it a habbit to do it for every down change i can.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Time to put thinking caps on:

** Cars set up to 'drift' do not make good road cars **

I also find it hard to beleive that anyone with a sports car would let their tyres wear so badly that they know the tyres buggered in the rain and yet continue to drive on them, on the freeway no less.

Hard luck about the car dude, but common sense should prevail in future.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Sat, 21 August 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Sat, 21 August 2004 10:37

I also find it hard to beleive that anyone with a sports car would let their tyres wear so badly that they know the tyres buggered in the rain and yet continue to drive on them, on the freeway no less.

yes.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Sat, 21 August 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Billy You are a fag...

You make it sound like aquaplaning for you is a given.

Maybe you should find out why you do it and fix it.

Even when I had literally bald tyres I never aqua'd. Why? Because I drove to the condition of my car, not the condition of the road. Sure the condition of the road does count, but my point is you have to also know the condition of your car to be able to fully "drive to the condition of the road".

But I rectified that 4-5 months ago and got 4 new tyres all round, and on wednesday when it rained up here I finally got the feeling they had paid for themselves. Those dunlop GP's I got have superior water dispersal I found. 4 main grooves is good. Smile Aside from the big discount I got on them, I decided on them because I liked the look of the tread.

I saw/heard so many crashes that day it wasn't funny. Actually, one thing I did see that should make everyone's day is while going southbound on the gateway near the brackenridge area with that pedestrian footbridge, there was a rolled magna (Old boxy POS thing (arn't they all? Very Happy ) ). It had somehow jumped the guardrails and was in the middle of the "island" seperating the north/south lanes. I'm still baffled on how it did it. There was a dent in the rail just before the car itself. It had just neatly flung itself over the rail and off the road to be left sitting on it's roof. Hopefully another old pus-bucket is off the streets. I actually wish I could have stopped and seen to how they were going to get it out because it had guardrails on each side of it.

Oh yea, I also don't know if it was expected to be lots of crashes or not, but the night before (tuesday), I was coming home from boondal onto the gateway, and there were 3 flatbed tow trucks just sitting off the side of the road on the highway entry. We joked at the time that they must be getting ready for a crash. Smile
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Sat, 21 August 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That made me feel sad seeing those pics Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad .
Glad to see your okay.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Sat, 21 August 2004 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've always had a sweet spot for that model MR2 and it brought a tear to the eye to see the photos of its current state.

Quote:

The car is purposly set up to be Australias worst handling MR2 for a reason. I'll let you guess what that is.
Like I said, It was an unfortunate chain of events that let to the crash... as there always is.

A mate had a commodore like that. Basically the suspension was shagged out and he couldn't give a rats about fixing it cause he loved the out-of-control feel and having to fight the car to keep control. Man sit him in a car with good suspension and you'll have the new drift king.
Quote:

I've had my lic. for 17 years and have been driving since I was 11.

It doesn't matter how long a person has been driving for they can still have an accident.
Quote:

Sue the rta for not building the road with enough angle to run the water off so it didn't flow in sheets.

I'd like to see you try. They'd ask for a vehicle report, driver report etc etc etc. And then the legal battle will take months if not years if not decades if not......
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Sun, 22 August 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At the start of the year I was cruising back from the ex's house, cruising down past chadstone. Was taking it easy cos it was really wet and didn't wanna hurt my baby. I came up to a set of lights, started braking easy and bam all of a suddon she started sliding. At this point i started to worry a little as realised i was goin to slide into the intersection. Thank god no1 was around and i was free to keep goin without damage. No before anyone bothers with smart ass comments i was, A: doin less then speed limit before i started braking, B: the tyres were on about 75% tread.

st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Sun, 22 August 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adamb131 wrote on Thu, 19 August 2004 21:49

Sorry to see any sporty Mid-Rear car dinged up dude. Feel sorry for ya, but... . . .
Perhaps now you'll cultivate a healthy fear of aquaplaning, and standing water in general. Skull - Blink

I've aquaplaned at night around the outside of a bend at 115km/h on the Hume, for 30-50m. I just clenched my arse-cheeks, straightened the wheel and backed off to 5-10% throttle (to keep the rear-wheels at road speed). After that I've been "scared straight" into respecting puddles & heavy rain.

[Updated on: Sun, 22 August 2004 06:57]

towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Damn you RAIN !*%%!$&*&! Mon, 23 August 2004 06:41 Go to previous message
Clown wrote on Sun, 22 August 2004 15:35

At the start of the year I was cruising back from the ex's house, cruising down past chadstone. Was taking it easy cos it was really wet and didn't wanna hurt my baby. I came up to a set of lights, started braking easy and bam all of a suddon she started sliding. At this point i started to worry a little as realised i was goin to slide into the intersection. Thank god no1 was around and i was free to keep goin without damage. No before anyone bothers with smart ass comments i was, A: doin less then speed limit before i started braking, B: the tyres were on about 75% tread.

Intersections are good for that. If it hasn't rained for a while the oil from other vehicles starts to build up then when it rains the oil "floats" to the top and bang you've got a crash zone. (pun not intended).
Bet cha thats something "i'm too good for my car" ellen never thought of.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:These stupid P plater rules they wanna bring in
Next Topic:tuff 86 race car!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:50:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082771778106689 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.