Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Engine Problems (4age 100kw)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bourny
Regular

August 2004

Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Mon, 16 August 2004 22:44 Go to next message
Hey guys, i need some help if possible.

Last night driving my 87' Seca / 4age 100kw conversion, it cut out on me doing about 70kph, the engine light came on then nothing.

It wants to kick over but it seems like it has no petrol.

I was wondering if you guys had any idea what it could be, i was thinking it could be the fuel pump, wiring or fuses.

Unsure at this stage what it could be, i got a complete loom / ECU and sensors to go into the car, which was ment to get done today. As the car is running the standard 86kw ECU and loom.

When i try to start it now, it just keeps turning over but seems like its starved for petrol.

Any Ideas? Need help ASAP.

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
bourny
Regular

August 2004

Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Tue, 17 August 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any Ideas Guys???
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Tue, 17 August 2004 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate that sounds more like spark... ensure spark coming out of coil and through all spark plug leads first

unfortuneatly im not sure how to check injectors if they are working or not

for fuel pump can you hear it spin up when reds go on? so dont ry start it jsut turn reds on and listen for the pump to spin

but i so doubt it is fuel... if your gonna get other oom and ecu put in then i recon you call towy and jst get it sent to where it was gonna get done... another trick is if you have NRMA roadside then call them Very Happy

thats what i do... i once got NRMA roadside to change my master and slave cyls for clutch in the middle of oxford st Laughing but the guy that came out was a sick cunt for doing it
bourny
Regular

August 2004

Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Tue, 17 August 2004 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats what i was thinking, i didn't have much time last night to play around with it (about midnight)

I pulled the lead off from the coil and held it againist a bolt to see if it was sparking, when i turned the key it would spark once while holding the key on, then i would try again and oil get one spark.

I swapped the coil over with a spare i had (don't ask why i had a spare coil) then i tried it, the spark was the same, just a single spark came out while trying to kick it over. Ill check the spark plugs tonight as well.

Ill check tonight if i can hear the fuel pump turn on with reds. They aren't very noisy normally.

I was thinking of getting it towed to the auto electrics place doing all the work for me. but i just wanna make sure its not mechanical first.

I might get NRMA roadside, but i can't afford it at the moment.

Thanks for your help. But i can't do anything until tonight when i get home from work, so ill be working in the dark again.....
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Tue, 17 August 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check your engine warning codes. THe how to is on the tech docs section of www.toymods.org.au
bourny
Regular

August 2004

Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Tue, 17 August 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, ill check the warning codes, i've never done this before so ill read up on it and give it a try... how hard is it to do?

Any other suggestions?
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Tue, 17 August 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in a nut shell you have to short/earth/whatever you wanna call it the ecu and then turn reds on and engine light will flash accordingly... then check number and there is the problem

specifically how for your car Rolling Eyes
bourny
Regular

August 2004

Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Tue, 17 August 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your help guys, ill go home and try that. if i have no luck ill post more tomorrow.

My brothers a mechanic so he is looking at it tonight.

Cheers
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Tue, 17 August 2004 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heard a story the other day of a guy who had the same syptoms as you, took the car (holden rodeo) to Holden and asked for a standard service, got the car back 2 days later engine shut down, (same as yours), returned to holden they coildnt find the problem, anyway turns out the FUEL FILTERwas 100% bloked, couldnt even blow compressed air thru it.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Steve
bourny
Regular

August 2004

Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Tue, 17 August 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a look again last night, couldn't get the warning codes.
I have to get the car towed home so i can go over it properly.
It has been raining so we were out there in the dark and rain last night trying to find whats wrong with it.

We have no idea, when we try to start it, it sounds like there is no petrol but its blowing puffs of smoke out the exaust when we try to start the engine..

Its got me stumped, my brother is a mechanic so now ill have to wait till i get it home then get him to find the problem.

FKN16V - thanks for that idea, ill check the filter when i get it home tonight.

fade-e - i tried turning the reds on, and listening for the fuel pump, i couldn't hear anything, how noisy are the fuel pumps in these cars? its in the petrol tank so it wouldn't be very loud.

Any other ideas guys? i've only had the car for about 2 weeks now. and i hate this sh#t

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions guys.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Wed, 18 August 2004 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its in tank and stock then it will be very very hard to hear if at all...

but if you are saying taht with the coil lead it sparks once and then not after that then it is electrical. also by trying another coil and getting same result would be almost guaranteed.

the best way you can check fuel pump manually is by removing the feed line and putting an orange juice bottle (or any other bottle for that matter) and cranking. if the bottle start to fill up then it aint pump. if you try this please be VERY VERY CAREFUL cause you dont want fuel everywhere so put the feed line as far in as possible!!!!

are these cars/motors electronic dizzys? ecu controlled? or just normal?

mate i believe it is wiring somewhere and not fuel or motor just from that coil issue. i would get it rewired with the other loom and ecu ad take it from instead of wasting time now. your gonna change the wiring so just do that and when you know thats all perfect and it still doesnt start then your bro can take over as you will be certain it aint wiring......

EDIT: also if you havent donethis yet then also try giving it a service; plugs/oil/etc

[Updated on: Wed, 18 August 2004 01:51]

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Wed, 18 August 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ooooops

[Updated on: Wed, 18 August 2004 01:50]

bourny
Regular

August 2004

Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Wed, 18 August 2004 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fad-e - Thanks heaps for you advise.

Im going to get the car towed home first, and ill check the fuel lines etc.. Then ill get all the wiring / ECU done. I think that should help.

Ill also do the plugs on it. i changed the oil and coolant and thermostat on the weekend.

once i get the ECU and wiring done i hope this sorts out a few issues, then ill get the timing and shit done, tuning etc.

I not sure what else it could be, once i check all those things mentioned i should have a good idea whats wrong.

Its just hard cus its been pissing down rain since it fuked up, so once i get it in the garage it will be alot eaiser.

Also im not sure if they are electronic dizzys / ecu controlled or not... how do you tell?

Ill get back on here once i sort out those things.

Cheers
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Wed, 18 August 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if there is a dizzy then its not ecu controlled/direct fire

when you take dizzy cover off and see 2 contact points around the dizzy shaft/rotor then its not electronic. these little points will open and close as the shaft spins
sik sx
Regular

I supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Wed, 18 August 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does it like start up for about a second then die again straight away?..if so check AFM(air flow meter)plug..make sure its clean and fully connected..if it is ur AFM unit could be faulty..mine did that the other nite i was on the high way all of a sudden the car died..i walked home Embarassed.. got it towed and all that was wrong was the afm plug was loose..good luck man
bourny
Regular

August 2004

Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Wed, 18 August 2004 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When i tried to start it last night, it kicks over then just coughs for a few seconds, still with the dash nights on. the turns off.

I checked the AFM wires in the dark the other night, but im getting the car towed home today, so ill check it again with some light.

Puffs of smoke comes out the exaust when i try to start it.

It sounds very close to starting but doesn't quite get there.

Anyway, i will just wait till i get the car home, then ill have a better look at it.

Thanks again guys.

bourny
Regular

August 2004

Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Fri, 20 August 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok guys,

I worked out the engine isn't getting enough spark, i replaced the coil and no luck, anyone know where the "Crank Angle Sensor" is on the 100kw 4AGE???

I need someones help asap.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

woznoz
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Fri, 20 August 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok now if the engine doesnt work, ur shatted it, my mate had the same problem and the timing belt went adn teh piston went into the block and bent the valves a nice $2000 there
woznoz
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Fri, 20 August 2004 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
www.billzilla.org

this is bill sherwoods website he is almost if not the smartest person in australia that knows about 4AGE's his site has enigne pics and emails to contact him , or u can just do wat iam to lazy to do and look in ur hand book Razz
bourny
Regular

August 2004

Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Fri, 20 August 2004 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah,

The car cranks over fine, its just not getting enough spark.

I haven't done any internal damage, when it happened i would of herd something if i threw a piston or something.

Its a electrical fault, i have a new ECU, loom and sensors to go in. i just have to get the car towed to the auto elects to get it done.

So can anyone answer my question? where is the "crank angle sensor"???

Help much appriciated.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Fri, 20 August 2004 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its in the base of the dizzy

ive heard bout this prob on a car i wired up for a friend
if i remember illcall them tomorrow and find out how they cured it

they said it was gettin not enough spark

i think it might have been a dud ecu
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Fri, 20 August 2004 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bourny wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 20:01

Nah,

The car cranks over fine, its just not getting enough spark.

I haven't done any internal damage, when it happened i would of herd something if i threw a piston or something.

Its a electrical fault, i have a new ECU, loom and sensors to go in. i just have to get the car towed to the auto elects to get it done.

So can anyone answer my question? where is the "crank angle sensor"???

Help much appriciated.

How did you find out is was spark?

Just I had the very same problem in my Supra. I was cruising down the highway and the engine just died with a check engine light and I coasted to the side of the road.

If left for a while it would crank and fire for about 1-2 seconds.

After 3 weeks of trouble shooting I found out the fuel filter was stuffed, I replaced that (was the only thing left after 3 weeks) and it started first go!.

Might not be the problem but if you are racking your head and have not had a look at the fuel filter is might be the go..
bourny
Regular

August 2004

Re: Engine Problems (4age 100kw) Wed, 25 August 2004 03:16 Go to previous message
Hey guys,

After alot of mucking about, i got my brother (mechanic), NRMA roadside, and auto electrician to look at my car and now its FIXED!!!

It was a faultly wire in the plug that comes off the dizzy. i checked this plug myself and NRMA dude tested it, the auto elect just re soldered the wire and now it runs again.

What a fuck around, after not having my car for a week it took the guy 20 mins to find and fix the problem.

Thanks heaps for all your ideas guys.

Now i'm in the process of talking with the auto electrician to get the new wiring loom and ECU put in... not as easy as i first thought, some of the wires from the dizzy are different to the new loom.

Such a fuck around..

O well, it should be running soon and then i can start doing other stuff to my rolla.

Ill post some pics in the members rides once i get it sorted.

Cheers

Bourny
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ASk about 86 rim...(114.3)??
Next Topic: What Gearbox should i use in the GT2?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 09:38:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082740783691406 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.