Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Skein
Regular

November 2002

Diff oil change Sat, 21 August 2004 06:39 Go to next message
I'm about to swap the oil on my diff, can someone give a short step by step guide as to what needs to be done/checked, any precautions to take etc. If it helps the diff is a T-series.

Thanks!
  Send a private message to this user    
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Diff oil change Sat, 21 August 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why didnt u call me?

undo the drain plug, drain the oil

now grab a coke bottle, chop the bottom off, grab some garden hose and gaffa the hose into the top bit. now you have a funnel to suit.

open the filler hole, and fill via the home made dodgy funnel that will work once before falling appart Wink
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Diff oil change Sat, 21 August 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard jacking it up on a hill helps you get more oil in the diff.

I'm not sure thats a good thing tho.
I know it isn't with a gearbox!
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Diff oil change Sat, 21 August 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah for that you'd be better off not using the filler hole. take an axle out and jack that side right up while leavintg the other side down, this will let you pour oil down the axle tube

probably a better method.

2L is plenty for the diff anyway. toyota reccomend 1.7 L so 300 ml wont go astray. if its overfull too much it will just go out the breather anyway
Skein
Regular

November 2002

Re: Diff oil change Sat, 21 August 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys. I was pretty sure on what to do, but in case there were any big NO NOs I just wanted to ask Smile

Is it even possible to get 2L into the diff via the filler hole? I thought they took 1.3L?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff oil change Sat, 21 August 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
handy hint

make sure u are able to undo the filler hole before u drain the oil.

sometimes these plugs can cause dramas and u dont want to have a drained diff with no way of putting oil back into it if u strip the filler plug.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff oil change Sat, 21 August 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL! That's exactly what happened to me on the day I finished my 2JZ conversion. After 18 months of pain and frustration, I was finally going to go for my very first drive... right after I change the diff oil.

To cut a long story short, after draining the oil and struggling with the filler bolt for hours, I had to remove the entire diff and take it to a friend's workshop to have the bolt removed using more "persuasive" means. I hate diff filler bolts! Mad
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Diff oil change Sat, 21 August 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ouch Norbie!
Same thing nearly happened to me with draven when we were doing the gearbox oil. Damn overflow bolt wouldn't come out. Luckily we checked first - tried removing the overflow before we drained the oil Smile

Always check the overflow/filler bolt first people! Learn from our mistakes!

-J-
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Diff oil change Sat, 21 August 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont ya hate that, the small irrelivant things that you wounldnt think cause such a headache, end up doing just that!!!
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Diff oil change Sun, 22 August 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drain when it's as hot as possible, and let it drip for at least 5 minutes.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Diff oil change Sun, 22 August 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and cover your nose.

[Updated on: Sun, 22 August 2004 02:12]

Sam4A-GE_Seca
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Diff oil change Sun, 22 August 2004 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monkeymajik wrote on Sun, 22 August 2004 12:12

and cover your nose.

especially when its hot hot hot and been in the vehicle for a long time and used under high load. gear oil stinks at the best of times when its new.

I have to change Jag diff oil annually at work. smelly shite
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff oil change Sun, 22 August 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought Jags drained the oil all by themselves? Laughing
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Diff oil change Sun, 22 August 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sat, 21 August 2004 20:11

To cut a long story short, after draining the oil and struggling with the filler bolt for hours, I had to remove the entire diff and take it to a friend's workshop to have the bolt removed using more "persuasive" means. I hate diff filler bolts! Mad

So we weren't the only ones? Smile We had Glens back plate from the diff screwed to a block of wood, his dad welded a nut to it then we could finally get it off. Needless to say, the bolt on there now if big and chunky Razz
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Diff oil change Sun, 22 August 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Sun, 22 August 2004 19:27

So we weren't the only ones? Smile We had Glens back plate from the diff screwed to a block of wood, his dad welded a nut to it then we could finally get it off. Needless to say, the bolt on there now if big and chunky Razz

haha 32mm jobbie

well large
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Diff oil change Sun, 22 August 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didn't we have to buy a new socket just to get the fucker off? Razz

[Updated on: Sun, 22 August 2004 09:38]

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Diff oil change Sun, 22 August 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a new socket, bigger than the standard sizes.

But im never striping that thing.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Diff oil change Sun, 22 August 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True, and I'd thoroughly recommend this, in retrospect the factory diff bolt is a stupid size cos its not very tall.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff oil change Sun, 22 August 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

We had Glens back plate from the diff screwed to a block of wood, his dad welded a nut to it then we could finally get it off.

Exactly what I ended up doing. Even the heat from the mig wasn't enough to loosen the bolt... I still had to lean on the thing with a big breaker bar to get the bastard off!
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff oil change Mon, 23 August 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use a 24mm 6 point 1/2" drive socket with a long breaker bar. I hold the socket flat on the plug with one hand, then give the breaker bar a good hit with the other hand. I am hopeing for a crack sound, which you get when you suprise or "crack" a nut off. Then in turns freely. I do this every day.

Do not:
hold the spanner or bracker bar with only one hand, or just at the end and apply constant increasing force. The head of the socket will cock sideways and slip a bit, and you will round off the flats on the plug.

Also, try not to ever use a open ender spanner when using constant increasing force. The flats of the open ender will open up and round off the nut/bolt. You always need to surprise it.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Diff oil change Mon, 23 August 2004 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

is what ill have to do in a few weeks mine is stripped from previous owners... so i think its also still running on 20 y/o diff oil lol
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Diff oil change Mon, 23 August 2004 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most simple way to get a seized one out:

cold chisel and hammer
make sure ur good enough to wedge the chisel in and your hits should mislodge it a bit.
Good idea to run penotrene all around the bolt and leave it for a coupla hours first.

Its how ive got all my bolts off, if a long bar on a breaker bar didnt work.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Diff oil change Mon, 23 August 2004 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Problem with the MA61 diff bolt isn't that its so tight, its just the bolt head isn't tall at all.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Diff oil change Mon, 23 August 2004 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thats why i got it off with the chisel lol.

of you can buy the appropriate sized spanner? 24mm is available..
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Diff oil change Mon, 23 August 2004 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 01:58

yeah thats why i got it off with the chisel lol.

of you can buy the appropriate sized spanner? 24mm is available..

wanna help me do mine then? hehe
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff oil change Mon, 23 August 2004 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a 24mm ring spanner, and even using the techniques mentioned above I couldn't budge it. Then I tried the chisel and hammer method, but all that did was mangle the bolt some more. I reckon some tool must have used loctite on it at some point, it was stuck fast!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Diff oil change Mon, 23 August 2004 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what a bastard.. reckon it would be okay to weld a bolt on while diff is still on car, full of oil?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Diff oil change Mon, 23 August 2004 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my dad did that on the sump plug on his car. worked fine. No harm done that I can see Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff oil change Mon, 23 August 2004 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should be ok if you just tack-weld it on, ie don't get it too hot.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Diff oil change Tue, 24 August 2004 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie why didnt you just remove the rear cover? or would it not come off either?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff oil change Tue, 24 August 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Smile
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Diff oil change Tue, 24 August 2004 02:51 Go to previous message
hahah soo many swear words went out I bet.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:CONVERT THIS!
Next Topic:*z20 common problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:10:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056459903717041 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.