Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3SGE into TA-23 Qs.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Sat, 21 August 2004 04:43 Go to next message
Just need some confirmation (did a search however there are way too many combinations of hyphens, spaces and acronyms to come up with anything useful).

I'm sticking what is essentially a 3S-GE (with 90mm stroke) into me ta23. Do I specifically need the SA-63 bellhousing? Or will any rwd S-series engine bellhousing do? (ie corona ST141?).

Also - regarding a 3SGTE (1st gen) intake manifold - that *should* fit on the plain old 3S-GE head, but also - would the throttle body off of a 3S-GE (1st gen) fit on a 1st gen 3S-GTE intake manifold? Lastly - I'm assuming that it (the 3S-GTE intake manifold) will foul on the bonnet - what are the solutinos to this - lower engine, modify bonnet - I'm guessing modifications to the bonnet involve legal crap?

Cheers for any help that you are willing to repeat again for the 50th time Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Sat, 21 August 2004 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the corona bellhousing is the same from what i've seen. same engine and gearbox
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Sat, 21 August 2004 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate with the inlet manifold.. It depends if you mount the engine on the original 15 degree ? angle or not. I've see pictures mounted on the angle, with the bellhousing cut and rotated to straighten up the box. The inlet manifold will be ok then.

But if you have the engine sitting flat, the manifold will hit the bonnet.

Be careful with the bellhousing, there was some S series with a bog warner box. You need the SA63 one that had the toyota W series box.

Cheers
Joel
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Sat, 21 August 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jackel wrote on Sat, 21 August 2004 17:02

the corona bellhousing is the same from what i've seen. same engine and gearbox

ST141's have a 4-speed Borg-Warner box. How different can you get?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Sat, 21 August 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So SA63 bellhousing is the only way to go, hrmmm...

As for the 15 degree angle - I'm guessing it's a case of having to fabricate a cross-member no matter which way you do it so it's better to just mount it on the angle?

And the bellhousing modifications is just a matter of rotating the flange around so to speak?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Sat, 21 August 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah - does having it at an angle change things in regards to being unbalanced (ie engine mounts under different levels of load) etc?
t_temperley
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Sat, 21 August 2004 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
90mm stroke aye?
SO you went through with the 5s crank?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Sat, 21 August 2004 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes - that is also being sorted out...slowly Confused There's a bit of work to do though.

Quote:

would the throttle body off of a 3S-GE (1st gen) fit on a 1st gen 3S-GTE intake manifold?
Does anyone have an answer to this? I'll stop post whoring/acting impatient now!!! It just seems like an easily over-looked question given the billion other questions in the post Smile
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Sat, 21 August 2004 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ha ha ha...

the subject of transplanting a 3SGE/GTE into a RWD platform is a much discussed one, and as far as I'm concerned, it's a totally do it yourself one - most answers I've gotten involved really shaky engineering in my opinion.

If you want it done right, you'll have to do it yourself... and that involves figuring it out for yourself too unfortunately...

I myself am in the process of dealing with:
the flywheel issue
the crank pilot engagement issue
the starter issue
the manifolds issue

flywheel = I have to buy a rather expensive piece of 4140HTSR and turn it myself

crank pilot issue = yes you do have to mill about 4-5mm off the engine side of the bellhousing, otherwise the tranny pilot only sits in the pilot bearing about 1-2mm

starter issue = what starter?!? I'm in Canada and all the swap bits that are talked about never made it here in any vehicle I'm aware of. After much research, I decided on a very common Toyota pickup truck 1.4kW starter, mated to a subminiature diameter 106 tooth ring gear from a late 70's 1200 Corolla engine (it's very small diameter for a VERY low MOI), and then the starter will barely clear the block physically, but the motor will grab revs like lightning!!!

manifolds = well, yeah, ummm, I'm going to start with a pile of tubes, a lathe, a mill, and a TIG welder, and that ought to fix the manifolds problem...

I love a challenge, and this is proving to be a real challenge to get this project all tied together - once the transmission is mounted to the engine, I can fall back to all the easy bolt on parts to boost up the power output, so I'm considering this to be the hard part of the project, in fact, it IS the project - bolt on's are easy to deal with (when they actually bolt on without any mods that is...)
t_temperley
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Sat, 21 August 2004 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The original 3sge manifold can be modified for rwd quite easily. Will send you pics of mine when i get it back if it will help.

[Updated on: Sat, 21 August 2004 22:15]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Sun, 22 August 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How exactly are you going about changing the throttle position?
vin91
Regular

August 2003
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Sun, 22 August 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST141 Or a 5 Speed Borg-Warner
t_temperley
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Sun, 22 August 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sent you an email with diagram, hope it makes sese..i cant post pictures on here anymore Confused
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Mon, 23 August 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

ST141 Or a 5 Speed Borg-Warner
Err - what are you trying to say here?
vin91
Regular

August 2003
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Mon, 23 August 2004 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That the ST141 also came with a 5 Speed Borg-warner save's on adapter plates and Changing gearboxes. Though don't know how it would stand up under Horsepower?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Mon, 23 August 2004 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Putting a Borg-Warner piece of crap behind a decent engine like the 3S-GE is a terrible idea! I can't see how it would be any easier than using an SA63 box anyway.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Mon, 23 August 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Availability is always an issue - last SA63 at a toyota wreckers that I saw had no gearbox left on it - but almost everything else.

t_temperley -> that .bmp didn't work Sad dunno what is going on there.
vin91
Regular

August 2003
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Tue, 24 August 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didn't know they where so bad, and are easier to find than SA63's.
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Tue, 24 August 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fwdboy - go to u-pull-it on womma road, elizabeth. there are 2 sa63's sittin right next to each other and i'm pretty sure both still have gearboxes
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Tue, 24 August 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I thought I saw some there last time actually, I usually go to the lonsdale one - but if there is still a gearbox for an SA63 up at elizabeth I'll have to pay it a visit.
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 3SGE into TA-23 Qs. Tue, 24 August 2004 13:50 Go to previous message
yeh i might be headin over there in the next couple days and can have a look if i do, i don't check them cars in any great detail so haven't got much idea of how stripped they are
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:name this part, what dose it do?
Next Topic:driveaxle hub removal FWD Celica
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 20:07:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053269863128662 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.