Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sat, 21 August 2004 12:23 Go to next message
keep getting emails MAILER-DAEMON failures saying i'm sending emails with viruses in them this is like the four one. There all failures from automotive websites like clutch, engine websites. WTF?!

This is the resent one.

The original message was received at Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:31:34 +1000
from [203.98.87.14]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
nark.ga60@gmail.com
(reason: 552 Illegal Attachment)
(expanded from: <max@nark.is-a-geek.com>)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to gsmtp171.google.com.:
>>> DATA
<<< 552 Illegal Attachment
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

To: webmaster@toymods.org.au
Subject: Mail Delivery (failure webmaster@toymods.org.au)
Sent: Saturday, 21 August 2004 4:30:54 PM
If the message will not displayed automatically,
follow the link to read the delivered message.

Received message is available at:
www.toymods.org.au/inbox/webmaster/read.php?sessio nid-23403

I'm not even sending emails to these sites and most i've never heard of.
anyone care to enlighten me or something to whats going on?
  Send a private message to this user    
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sat, 21 August 2004 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im the same, I keep recieving e-mails saying that e-mails cannot be sent, weird thing is i never send e-mails. Never bother to open and see whats inside for fear of a virus etc.
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sat, 21 August 2004 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are they all from automotive websites?
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sat, 21 August 2004 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not sure, i allways delete them without looking at where they come from.
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sat, 21 August 2004 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My optus account is getting about 30 emails a day from genuine emails (ie. other optus accounts) and its all the same message/spam. Looks like a lot of people got owned by a mailbug... Meh I dont care Its one of my never-used accounts.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sat, 21 August 2004 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firstly people are always spoofing email addresses, i see it ALL the time (well i do work for optus cable tech support Confused )

- i take it your using hotmail for your emails?
- do you use the online emailing facility theat hotmail has or arre you using outlook express?

but from the error:-
- it says your sending an email from cartman_203@hotmail.com to webmaster@toymods.org.au
- from there it is getting redirected to max@nark.is-a-geek.com which translates to nark.ga60@gmail.com
- and this is all going through a google outgoing mail server

now:-
- the toymods domain is being hosted by secure ip which goes through telstra *shakes head* Confused
- hotmail is hosted by microsoft

therefore:-
- all indications lead to spam/spoofing email
- if you use outlook express then their could possibly be an issue on your PC but it is highly unlikely as the email seems to be going through the google mail servers
- if your using hotmail to check emails then that has a junk box and should get filtered there.
- if your using outlook express then i would suggest to get a spam filter on the PC
- also update your Antivirus and do a full system scan, or get a program if you dont have one. also update your spyware/adware program and do a full system scan, or get one if you dont have one. finally get a firewall if you dont have one too
- lastly for every scan you do restart the Pc after its finished and scan again untill there is absolutely nothing found anymore

future:-
- with all the programs running see how you go for a week or so and if nothing happens again then it was the PC
- if it still continues then it is spoofing and unfortuneately there is nothing you can really do, you can try checking the email haders to see if you can determine where the email originally comes from. if you can find that out then you will need to email that abuse deartment to take action against the person(s) spoofing your email

EDIT: HOPE THAT HELPS YOU

[Updated on: Sat, 21 August 2004 23:45]

jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sun, 22 August 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i'm using hotmail.
I have adware a firewall and antivirus.

Wierd thing is that all the emails that come back are from automotive websites like clutch or preformance parts and i've never been to them sites before?
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sun, 22 August 2004 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Rolling Eyes

adaware hey... GET RID OF IT NOW!!! (dont mean to scream but be forceful)

mate that program sucks! you got adware on your PC for sure... the reason why they are all from automotive sites is cause most of your browsing would be automotive right?

how did i know you ask? well what adware does is monitor your browsing habits online, records them and relays this info back to the owner/manufacturer of the adware program. from here they manipulate your pc to email/browse/etc to these sites without you knowing or wanting. with this they hope to get you to go to one of these sitesto see whats going on and then they pretty much have you and before you know it this stuff will be all over your PC. believe me i deal with it every single farking day. i deal with it so much that im getting sick of dealing with it hehe Very Happy

now through work we are "not allowed to recommend a program" Laughing but look into getting spybot search and destroy. now this program doesnt work on all PCs (like mine), so i use XoftSpy (need to buy, but i work on the net so Rolling Eyes )

you are better off getting a program that does spyware and adware together instead of seperate programs as sometimes they try to kill each other... spybot is free and an excellent program...

what AV and firewall you got?

in any case do exactly what my last posts says to do! now once the PC is cleaned of the crap and all is well again the problem you have will continue for 2-4weeks after. all you need to do is update all programs 2x a week and scan 1x a week for that month and you will notice that the crap will go away and not come back

PLEASE keep in mind that you need to update 2x and scan 1x and dont miss a beat cause they will come back if you get lazy... what i do is before i have a shower i run the programs and by the tiume im finished they are done and therefore i dont have to wait for them, sitting round do shit all while waiting

if all else fails you have your not so friendly FORMAT
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sun, 22 August 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Confused not adware i mean ad aware like search and destroy
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sun, 22 August 2004 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as in ad aware 6?
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sun, 22 August 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ad aware 6 also got sygate firewall and avast antivirus
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sun, 22 August 2004 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firewall is good
get rid of ad aware 6 and try spybot (dont remove ad aware till you got spy bot running and working)

never heard of your AV but leave it for now

do that and get back to me tomorrow or later tonight and let me know how you go

PS im taking my little sis to the movies now so i wont be back for bout 3 hours
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sun, 22 August 2004 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now someone with this email mr_ra23@ozemail.com.au send me a virus in zip form Confused

W32/Mabutu.a@MM!zip Virus Found

does someone not like me Razz
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sun, 22 August 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how many do you get in total a day?

i get about 300 a day! Shocked when i tell customers this they freak and go WTF, i just tell them that i was stupid in my younger days and registered with almost every site. which is true and i just cant be bothered going to them all unregistering and crap.

now cause i work for optus i got the engineers to setup a bounce back to the emails i dont want to make it look like the address doesnt exist anymore to certain email addresses. this has effectively reduced the amount i get from over 1000 6 months ago to bout 300 today. i hope in 6 months for them all to go but this is the net we are talking bout so im not going to keep my hopes up.

the best advise i can give is to do waht i said, keep you PC as clean as possible and live with it. its like when you park your car in the city and come back and its got those club ads, i didnt ask for it yet they put it there anyway. all you can do is pick it up and throw it in the bin, oops how did it slip out of my hand and on to the ground Rolling Eyes Laughing nah use bins guys i try to Very Happy
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sun, 22 August 2004 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats wrong with Ad Aware??? I'm running 6.0 and it seems fine to me... Have you had problems with it or something???
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sun, 22 August 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doesnt pick up everything when it comes to adware and i know that for a fact. i did a personal 6month trial and it kept saying there is nothing. after 6months i put a better program on and there were 3000 hidden adware programs on my PC. also it doesnt pic up spyware which is alot more worse then adware...

as the name suggests SPYWARE! you are being spyed on and no firewall or AV will stop that

now for those on dial up you will not notice this crap much but once you go to broadband thats when you really notice it...

at the end of the day it comes down to what you like to use, but iv been doing net tech support for 3yrs and i wont touch ad aware. but at the same time i wont touch anything symantec pre 2003. i run norton IS 2003 but will never touch an earlier version and will not touch the latest 2004 version. and this is coming from someone that has hated norton for the last 5yrs at least. but i always try everything, every program and determine whats the best for me.

im not saying my PC is hack proof, but for those on optus cable broadband ill let you know i get 1.7MB/s within optus domains and not less than 600KB/s outside optus. my P2P connections (kazzaa, winmx) and bittorrent speeds are rarely under 250KB/s and i have nothing more than any other optus customer other than the fact that i have a completely clean system with max MTU settings Twisted Evil (thats another story) BUT im always updating my security software and always scanning every week to stay on top of things. also your PC DOES have an affect on the speed of the net. i get customer s saying that 6months ago their net was fast and now it isnt as fast. mate what have you done over the last 6 months? also your Pc is now 6 months older...

but hey try explain that to customers who want everything and dont want to pay anything... kinda reminds me of this forum Laughing its all good im one of those tight arses Rolling Eyes
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sun, 22 August 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those spoofed emails are coming from infected computers.
They send emails to people in their addressbook as other people in their addressbook...

Also, come virii scan websites for email addresses and send emails to the ones that are found.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sun, 22 August 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for those of you running windoze OS without virri protection ad firewalls might want to consider this:
your vanilla flavoured XP (pre SP2) PC will last on average about 20 minutes before responding the wrong way to some kind of threat or intrusion - be it via a web page, email or direct network/port connection...
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/19/infected_i n20_minutes/>

... if only more folk took this advice a little more seriously:
-Set Windows Update to automatically update the computer, without asking questions.
-Install a personal firewall that blocks almost everything by default.
-Buy a 2- or 3-year subscription to an anti-virus program and set it up to automatically download all updates.
-Buy an anti-spyware tool and set it up to automatically update, scan, and remove spyware.
-Replace Internet Explorer with Mozilla or Mozilla Firefox, and then hide that blue E so it's not on the desktop.
-Replace Outlook Express with Mozilla Thunderbird.

of course they missed the obvious solution, don't install a windows operating system, use linux or some other unix variant.
Fro-Daddy
Regular

May 2004
Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Sun, 22 August 2004 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got adaware, spybot and and cwshredder...i ise all 3 coz they each pick up different things...i only get those 'spoof' emails once a month maybe...
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Tue, 24 August 2004 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check out what i just got

webmaster@toymods.org.au Re: thanks! Aug 24 41KB

Sent : Tuesday, 24 August 2004 11:36:04 AM
To : cartman_203@hotmail.com
Subject : Re: thanks!

| | Junk E-Mail | Inbox

Hotmail has permanently blocked the following potentially unsafe attachment(s): exceldocument.doc.scr (0.04 MB) More Info...

Your document is attached.

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Tue, 24 August 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
someone on these frums has a virus on their PC Mad it beter not come to me or that person shall DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

once again check the headers of the email to see where it comes from
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Tue, 24 August 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sent : Tuesday, 24 August 2004 11:36:04 AM
To : cartman_203@hotmail.com
Subject : Re: thanks!

| | | Inbox

Hotmail has permanently blocked the following potentially unsafe attachment(s): exceldocument.doc.scr (0.04 MB) More Info...
MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: from hotmail.com ([203.194.46.199]) by mc6-f42.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713); Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:36:05 -0700
X-Message-Info: 6sSXyD95QpV7N/OcxyTaPqBY/3NjZ1+3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
Return-Path: webmaster@toymods.org.au
Message-ID: <MC6-F42zFddCRVFqBDf00034d4e@mc6-f42.hotmail.com>
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 24 Aug 2004 03:36:06.0761 (UTC) FILETIME=[7D39B590:01C4898B]

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

View E-mail Message Source
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0016----=_NextPa rt_000_0016"

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Your document is attached.

Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name="excel document.doc.scr"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;filename="excel document.doc.scr"

Attachment : Hotmail has permanently blocked the following potentially unsafe attachment(s): exceldocument.doc.scr (0.04 MB) More Info...

thats everything with headers on
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Tue, 24 August 2004 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont quote me but form those headers it seems like that the toymods webmaster has a virus on their PC Shocked

who is handling this forum? who is the webmaster here?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Tue, 24 August 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Me.

It'd be kinda hard for me to have a virus 'coz I run Linux. Razz

Plus that email address is set up just to receive email, not send.
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: is it just me or is someone spoofing email addresses? Tue, 24 August 2004 17:38 Go to previous message
Spammers routinely forge Received: headers. It's trivial to do. you *cannot* trust them to be genuine.

Fade-e Please, if you're going to give advice on matters of security, please make sure you have a clue first. Working for Optus means absolutely nothing; please don't try to bignote yourself like that again, it makes you look like a twit.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Best feeling ever
Next Topic:Its all over
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 09:51:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058639049530029 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.