Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Normal operating Temp?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
WOW16V
Regular

May 2002
Normal operating Temp? Sat, 28 September 2002 12:04 Go to next message
What should the the temp gauge read at normal operating temp on an ae82 corolla? Mine was only just off the C.I put in a new thermostat today and it now sits about a quarter of C.Does this sound right?
  Send a private message to this user    
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Normal operating Temp? Sat, 28 September 2002 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also can someone answer this for me.
What is the normal operating temp for an engine in x'C

1. What is the desired normal operating temp?
2. what would you consider getting a bit to hot?
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Normal operating Temp? Sun, 29 September 2002 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Normal operating temp for a 4A-GE is 82 degrees C. I think this goes for most engines too. The standard thermostat for a 4A-GE is supposed to operate between the ranges of 82 and 95, so I'd say about 100 is getting pretty hot.

If you've just put in a new 'stat, and your car's running way too cool, check that the 'stat is sitting inside the housing properly, and isn't cocked to one side. Was it a genuine toyota thermostat?
WOW16V
Regular

May 2002
Re: Normal operating Temp? Sun, 29 September 2002 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No the thermostat i put in was not a genuine toyota one,i didn't think it mattered so i just got one from Auto1.In regards to the standard temp,i just want to know what position the temp gauge should sit at.Should it sit at half-way,just off half or a quarter.

Cheers Adrian
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Normal operating Temp? Sun, 29 September 2002 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the guage the needle should never ever move from the middle. That depends on the sensors though, as they're all a little different. But where it normally sits is where it should stay. Because of the odd way the 4AGE water system works you will get little warning of the engine running out of water and so it's worth making sure that it's in good condition.
FWIW, with the Motec read-outs I can see that my water temp from the sensor at the back of the head normally runs at about the low 80's, but will creep up to 86°C and that's when the thermofan cuts in. I've seen 99°C (don't ask) with the instrument panel gauge still sitting right in the middle though, so again there's not much warning of impending trouble.
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Normal operating Temp? Sun, 29 September 2002 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should my Oil cooler on my 4age be hot after a 30-45min drive??

[Updated on: Sun, 29 September 2002 04:54]

WOW16V
Regular

May 2002
Re: Normal operating Temp? Sun, 29 September 2002 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill,thank you very much for your help,you are the 4age god.My 4age was always blowing black smoke,until this weekend when a mechanic told me my car was running cold and that i should replace the thermostat.My car never got of the C and this would result in the computer running richer mixes .So i changed over the thermostat and now the gauge will sit a 1/4.You said it should be in the middle,so would you say there is still some problem.What would you recommend me doing.Should i replace the water temp sensor,what else controls the temp of the car.

I forgot to mention it is a ae82 corolla with the later ae92 100kw 4age in it.I have no oil cooler or power steering.

Cheers Adrian
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Normal operating Temp? Sun, 29 September 2002 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you need to check the temp with a gauge that shows the temp in degress not just hot and cold.The gauge might be showing signs of age.
Also you want the car to run as close to boiling as possible with out boiling and remember that water under presure will boil at about 120*c not 100 as most people think.On a street car I would stick to between 80-90 due to traffic unless you have a very good cooling system
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Normal operating Temp? Sun, 29 September 2002 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WOW16V, that temp is probably fine. That's where the needle sits, and that's were it should stay - on that car, with those sensors and with that gauge! Wink
But as Toyrota said, you really should measure the temperature properly with an accurate gauge that measures in °C so you know what you're getting for sure.
I disagree with the running 's close to boiling'thing though as it leaves no margin for error. Low 80's is good. Wink
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Normal operating Temp? Sun, 29 September 2002 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rollaboy wrote on Sun, 29 September 2002 14:53

Should my Oil cooler on my 4age be hot after a 30-45min drive??

Anyone..
Toby AE82 Twin
Regular

July 2002
Re: Normal operating Temp? Mon, 30 September 2002 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My temp gauge sits on the C until I have been driving for about 20-30 mins when it slowly raises to about 20-25% towards the H and stays there.

Is that taking too long to warm up?
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Normal operating Temp? Mon, 30 September 2002 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill,

How did you go about mounting a temp sensor on your 4AGE?

I have a 4AFC at the moment and I assume for the time being that the water system is similar to the 4AGE in that little warning is given before critical mass. Laughing

Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Normal operating Temp? Mon, 30 September 2002 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rollaboy, yes, it should have some temperature to it. I'd guess about 85°C - 90°C or so.

Inertia, I just plugged the sensors in the factory spots on my engine. I've kept all that dead stock on the engine as they work fine.
I'm not sure about the FWD engines, but the RWD 4A's of either the single or twin cam type have exactly the same water system.
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Normal operating Temp? Mon, 30 September 2002 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwood wrote on Mon, 30 September 2002 12:58

Rollaboy, yes, it should have some temperature to it. I'd guess about 85°C - 90°C or so.

Well it sure wasnt 85ºC - 90ºC when i touched it.
Sad I think its not working then Sad
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Normal operating Temp? Tue, 01 October 2002 01:44 Go to previous message
I'm only guessing because I haven't used one of those types of cooler before, but the oil temp normally sits about 10°C hotter than the water temp does.
From memory, the 4AGE oil cooler system uses a bleed-off from a sandwich plate under the oil filter, so it may not have much oil passing through it, so it might feel cooler because of less flow.
Just a guess ....
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help on choice of best Engine for Conversion
Next Topic:What do you think of the new "Xede Interceptor"??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 23:59:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044221878051758 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.