Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 18rgu redline??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

18rgu redline?? Mon, 30 September 2002 02:56 Go to next message
well i just took my little baby out for a thrash to get me some lunch... and accidentally got it up to 7000rpm in 2nd, which it didnt complain about one bit!! so i tried it again, and again no complaints....
so im wondering what the redline of the 18rg/18rgu is supposed to be? im hoping you all say "above 7000rpm" like the 4age, cos then there is so much more power that i can acheive!!
  Send a private message to this user    
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18rgu redline?? Mon, 30 September 2002 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can rev mine to 8grand with ease, but i loose power at about 6800rpm so there is no real reason to rev that high/its bad for motor if done constantly Smile

Thanks
Ben
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 18rgu redline?? Mon, 30 September 2002 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One day we were fiddling around with something on my car and I was told to start it. We left something off (can't remember what it was, I think it was on the carby) and as soon as I started it, the rev's went strait up to 7500, I turned the car off before they got any higher.

I don't think my engine is too healthy because often I've had the rev's up to about 5500 in 2nd and I'm too scared to push it any more because the engine starts to shake and it's really loud. Plus top speed on my car is about 140. I can't get it any faster, and that's down hill.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 18rgu redline?? Mon, 30 September 2002 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you for real!?!? Shocked only 140? ive had mine above 160 a few times, and its smooth as! engine's still ready and rearing to continue pumping well on in the speed range!
on occasions my 18rgu does blow a efw chunks above 5500rpm, but today it just purred out to 7000 no wuccas... so i just wondered.... we'll see how it goes after the "Weber man" works his magic and dyno tunes it
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18rgu redline?? Mon, 30 September 2002 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Redline is just an imaginary thing. A safety limit you set for your enigne. I rev mine as hard as it will go, I don't care. I'm sure the bottom end is up to it. The rev limiter is just the carbies leaning out or valve bounce or something.

I have a 2TG, standard specs. I got it to 180km/h no problem in 5th, 4.1:1 diff. It would do 200km I guess. I have had rev problems with mine. It could rev to 8000rpm once. Then started to splutter nearing 6000rpm. Richer jets fixed than in part. It will now rev to about 7000 before have problems. I'm not sure what it is. Got new plugs, leads, electronic ignition. I could posiable be a valve spring thing, but I think its the carbies. Will try richer jets, or I will have to rebild them again.

To make any power up ther, I will be getting 290degree cams soon, or there abouts. Any advice welcome.
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 18rgu redline?? Mon, 30 September 2002 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I know. 140 is really bad. I've got re-treads and I can't even reach the speed limit for them. I don't know why my car won't go any harder. Ah well. My new RA23 apparently has been up to 175 so I'm not too worried. If you've got any idea's of why it won't go faster than 140 let me know. The only real mod I know about is extractors with a 2" exhaust. I'm just guessing the engine is really tired and probably needs to be chucked.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 18rgu redline?? Mon, 30 September 2002 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
std redline is 7000 for 18rg and 2tg and 18rgs have rev problems mainly with there disys i have found
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18rgu redline?? Mon, 30 September 2002 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I first got my 18R-GU running I used the distributor off the old 18R-C complete with contact points (pre-WW1 technology). It didn't like to rev at all, most likely because the points were bouncing at speed. Later I put the original electronic distributor on and problem solved - it revs cleanly to 6500rpm now. It will probably go much further but it doesn't make any more power beyond that with the stock cams, so I don't bother.

Moral of the story: get an electronic dizzy if you like revs. Smile

As for the factory redline, some versions were set at 6500rpm and others 7000rpm, but it's a known fact that an 18R-G will safely go well beyond this before valve bounce rears its ugly head. The bottom end is built like the proverbial brick outhouse so there's not much chance of causing any damage before the natural rev-limiter (valve bounce) kicks in. Smile
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 18rgu redline?? Mon, 30 September 2002 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im always gettin confused over what the electronic dizzy really is? how do i know if mine already has one or not?
cos i know they are very beneficial, but i dont know if my 18rgu already has one?
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: 18rgu redline?? Mon, 30 September 2002 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Witzl why would i get an RG when my RC has hit 204km/h Evil or Very Mad
mind you it took a long time to get there but it made it Very Happy
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18rgu redline?? Mon, 30 September 2002 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting...

Ive done 155km/h in my 18R powered 4spd manual Corona. I stopped at that speed cos i didnt want to rev it out any further. It was still going strong at that point.
I dont have a tach, but according to good old CarTest, it would have been around 5000RPM.

Your 18RG Celicas should be able to kill that.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 18rgu redline?? Mon, 30 September 2002 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had my 4AC off the clock looked like the needle was in the 190 position (only goes up to 180) and that was at about
5700rpm. Whats the biggest danger in running a internally stock engine at such high revs ie 7k plus? Anyone know when valve bounce would happen on a 4ac? Sorry to hijack this thread i know its about 18-R's not 4ACraps.

Edited for spelling...It's late damnit!

[Updated on: Mon, 30 September 2002 17:37]

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 18rgu redline?? Mon, 30 September 2002 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've done 110kmh in my TA22 at a whole ~3500rpm.

until my 30 year old suspension/brakes/driveline are upgraded thats about as good as it gets!
crostek
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 18rgu redline?? Mon, 30 September 2002 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 18RGUE Race Motor revs to 9500 with no problems, as people have said the bottom end is bullet proof, I am using a copy of a TRD race crank and standard rods, plus I have had some very extensive head work done. The only thing that limited the revs was the dissy at first, I now run a coil pack from the Computer.
Am currently looking to build a new motor with a bigger turbo and Intercooler and see how hard it will go. put the thing into a lighter car then the one it was in. The car now will do 260 down con-rod straight, hopefully hit the 280 km mark. and get 11's at the creek.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 September 2002 22:02]

ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 18rgu redline?? Mon, 30 September 2002 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to see mine isn't the slowest car out there Grega!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 18rgu redline?? Tue, 01 October 2002 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
martin - i got my sillicar up to 180kph last week on the f3, with ease, and quickly too.... its just wants to keep on revving. cant remember the rpm tho!
i would go faster but i dont like the idea of destroying my license, plus the lst time i did that in my rolla i came over a hill to a traffic jam and nearly plowed into cars at HIG SPEED! hence im a bit more weary now.

crostek - how would i go about avoiding these dizzy problems with a carbied engine? something like the jaycar ignition kit? what? cos im going to get some cam and headwork done soonish and i want to know how to avoid these rpm limitations.
i also wouldn't mind learning more about your 18r-turbo motor!

martin again - you want an 18rg cos it will get yuo to 200kph in no time flat, wil sound good getting there and will blow away 4age's (well some of them anyway!)
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18rgu redline?? Tue, 01 October 2002 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I took my RA23 to 200km/h once, it got there easily but wouldn't go much further because of the gearing (4.1:1 diff). Some big cams for more top-end punch would solve that problem though - or even better, I should bolt on that RX7 turbo I've got lying around! Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18rgu redline?? Tue, 01 October 2002 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 30 September 2002 18:22

im always gettin confused over what the electronic dizzy really is? how do i know if mine already has one or not?
cos i know they are very beneficial, but i dont know if my 18rgu already has one?

18R-GU's come with electronic dizzy's from the factory, so you more than likely have one. It's pretty easy to identify - just take your distributor cap off and have a peek. If there's a big saw-toothed wheel in there, it's electronic. If there's a couple of breaker points on a little cam, it's not.
crostek
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 18rgu redline?? Tue, 01 October 2002 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Tue, 01 October 2002 10:30

crostek - how would i go about avoiding these dizzy problems with a carbied engine? something like the jaycar ignition kit? what? cos im going to get some cam and headwork done soonish and i want to know how to avoid these rpm limitations.
i also wouldn't mind learning more about your 18r-turbo motor!

I don't think the just putting a jaycar kit on will help, I have used one a long time ago and it help a little but it not good for real high end work.I think the best path to go is to get a electronic dizzy, igniter and coil, then have the dizzy graphed to suit the advance curve you need. (I have the old one from my car if you want it) And start from there. I put in an optical crank angle sensor, and did away with the dizzy all together.

At the moment I have the car in bits and sold off my old turbo and supercharger set-ups to pay a deposit on my new house, the motor has the following done to it. The crank is full counter weighted and hardened, the rods were reconditioned and shot penned. The pistons are VW forged 90.5mm OD, rings are gapless, the head has had holden 308 V8 valve seats and one piece stainless valves installed, then been ported out to suit the seats and match ported to the EFI manifold. The cams are a special grind from Ivan Tighe, and are on vernier cam gears. The valve springs are a double spring that the engine builder got for me, and not sure what there from I think there from a lotus. Plus lots of other little things that would take to long to list.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 18rgu redline?? Tue, 01 October 2002 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whoa... i should probably come down and see you one of these days dude... maybe ill look into that full electronic coil pack, igniter and dizzy you have once i get this new celica in my drieway and im swapping the engine over...

at that point im probably going to rebuild or simnply recondition her, maybe warm her up with a little camming. anyway, thanks for the info.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: 18rgu redline?? Tue, 01 October 2002 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Witzl this was in january, since then engine has been tuned and now its got even more power since i changed all the timing gear so i'm expecting much greater speeds, since i did the timing gear the engine just wants to rev higher and higher but my rev limiter stops it Crying or Very Sad

so i'll see what speeds i can pull out of her arse in november on the hume highway Very Happy although last time i rooted my muffler by doing that.
my car used to get to 160-170 quickly then started t slow down a bit but now the engine is running better then ever i'm sure she can do much better.

"hume highway is a nick name i give this long road on private property" Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 01 October 2002 21:01]

sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon4.gif  Re: 18rgu redline?? Tue, 01 October 2002 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PLEASE NOTE!
All speed tests are done on a remote property in the middle of the outback on a PRIVATE road. No illegal speeding has been done or will be done on state or national property. Toymods.org.au does not condone or approve of such behaviour.

This has been an announcement from the toymodforumspoliticaladvisor, written and spoken by ben aka Sbyder ipswich queensland

[^^^needs to be read fast to get the full concept^^^]

LOL Laughing

[Updated on: Tue, 01 October 2002 08:35]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 18rgu redline?? Tue, 01 October 2002 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah.. i got that speed in a mates backyyard Rolling Eyes

*yoink*
wil8115
Regular

June 2002
Re: 18rgu redline?? Tue, 08 October 2002 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crostek wrote on Tue, 01 October 2002 08:01

My 18RGUE Race Motor revs to 9500 with no problems, as people have said the bottom end is bullet proof, I am using a copy of a TRD race crank and standard rods, plus I have had some very extensive head work done. The only thing that limited the revs was the dissy at first, I now run a coil pack from the Computer.

is that crank triggered? which ecu are you running?

I've hit 8000 on my stock interal 18RGU with MSD 6AL,
44mm Mikuni's, custom exhaust from stock 4 into 2 exhaust mani.
It'll spin that high...but stops pulling about 7200-7300. Evil or Very Mad
crostek
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 18rgu redline?? Tue, 08 October 2002 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=wil8115 wrote on Tue, 08 October 2002 22:11
is that crank triggered? which ecu are you running?[/quote]

Yes and No it is a modified dizzy that has had the top cut off and a shaft encoder fitted, I am now running a crank angle sensor. The computer I was running was an EMS computer.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

icon10.gif  Re: 18rgu redline?? Wed, 09 October 2002 01:09 Go to previous message
Twisted Evil
About a year ago i took my old 3rd gen RT104 for a run on the highway racing a AE86, CLAPPED OUT 18RC 3 speed slushmatic, top speed in 3rd was 131k {sat there, no higher} @ 4500rpm, THEN i remembered that little button under the accel pedal {kickdown} hit it and the car hit a whopping 145 at 5500 , i let out a few joyous screams and then i remembered that the thing had suspension and steering like a trolley, so i shit, flogged the AE86 tho. yeah baby
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2tg-eu afm
Next Topic:Opinions of 1GGTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 11:25:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011263847351074 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.