Toymods » Tech & Conversions » tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dwango
Regular

July 2004
tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Sun, 22 August 2004 23:49 Go to next message
It's got a plastic bottom well and somehow it has found itself to have a hole less than a mm in diameter. Does any1 know a reliable way to fix this hole taking into account heat and internal pressure. I don't plan on uncrimping the well to access the hole from the inside.
  Send a private message to this user    
Troy
Occasional Poster

January 2003
Racer-X
Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Mon, 23 August 2004 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure its the bottom tank? it is more common for a top plastic tank to leak. Anyway, there is no real way to fix a plastic tank on a radiator, there are quick fix's, but they never last. The type of plastic is polypropalane, or some big crap word like that (unsure on spelling) and its an oily type of plastic meaning nothing sticks to it. Take the radiator out and take it to a radiator shop. Tell them you'd like a pressure test and quote. Where in brisbane are you? I'm on the southside, bring it into my work and we'll have a look at it for you.

-troy
dwango
Regular

July 2004
Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Mon, 23 August 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had my finger over the hole last night when i got pressure up, this is currently ther only leak and i have it marked, is so small it disappears without water spitting out of it.
Now that i have pulled it out i have found there is likely to be a leak soon in the seam on the bottom tank as well, about a centimeter down from the climps. Problem is I don't have $150 at the moment to replace the bottom tank. And so hence the plug it up idea..

dwango
Regular

July 2004
Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Mon, 23 August 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I should go on to say that it was in at a northside Radiator shop 2 months ago to have the cooling system fixed, just before i bought the car. They replaced the top well and flushed it due to blockage but apparently 2 months ago the 15cm long age crack along with the small tank hole wasn't an issue.

[Updated on: Mon, 23 August 2004 03:32]

Troy
Occasional Poster

January 2003
Racer-X
Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Mon, 23 August 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could try stop leak tablets, or even silicon over the hole, but i have no faith in either. We get people in here who have covered the crack/holes in plastic tanks, it just doesn't seem to work. Sorry i couldn't help you further

troy
dwango
Regular

July 2004
Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Mon, 23 August 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No worries Troy. The info you did supply was great.
thanks.

Evan
joecoolmk2
Regular

June 2004
Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Mon, 23 August 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make the hole bigger so you can plug it with something rubber. don't ask me what, it's just an idea. if you took the tank off, you could use a tyre puncture repair thingo, the blue thing with a bit of wire that you pull through the hole. know what i mean?
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Mon, 23 August 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the top tank has already been replaced then the bottom is not far off crapping out either i would suggest that you either get a new radiator or get the bottom tank replaced.

cheers
dwango
Regular

July 2004
Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Mon, 23 August 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, taa Jason. That is what i was trying to get around.
But i have now resigned myself to the fact that i'll have to fix it properly
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Mon, 23 August 2004 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I busted the top off the plastic radiator on my 323 a couple of weeks back and i priced to get the tank replaced but all the radiator shops told me not to bother for that reason so *sigh* $360 later i had a new radiator.

Made a cheap job of replacing the thermostat into an expensive one.

One option you could try is with a 2 pack epoxy glue like araldite or something i used this to glue the neck back on just so i could start the car up and move it while i was saving up for the radiator seemed to be ample strong enough but i wouldnt trust it for too long.

cheers
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Mon, 23 August 2004 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its for the gt4, ive got a radiator with a shagged core but two ok tanks you can have for $10 Very Happy
dwango
Regular

July 2004
Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Mon, 23 August 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Mon, 23 August 2004 07:33]

dwango
Regular

July 2004
Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Mon, 23 August 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey V8_MA61,

How shagged, useable?? It only needs to survive the next couple of weeks. If so can you pm details and i'll come n pick up the tanks on Wednesday.

thanks,
Evan
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Mon, 23 August 2004 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine had a leak about a year ago, I fixed it with some epoxy putty, I replaced the radiator last week because it started to leak again... But yeah, the putty lasted a while and held pressure.
dwango
Regular

July 2004
Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Mon, 23 August 2004 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that was epoxy putty you used on the plastic well??
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Mon, 23 August 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh, but it wont bond to the plastic you need to find somewhere to sort of 'anchor' it in if you know what I mean... As joecoolmk2 said, if you drill out the hole you could wedge something in it. I would not advise leaving it for as long as I did ( I had a 4ac and knew that it was leaving soon, I replaced my radiator as soon as I got a half decent motor).
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Mon, 23 August 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its got a hole in the core, and is dinted, but tanks seem to be fine.
dwango
Regular

July 2004
Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Tue, 24 August 2004 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep V8_MA61 if there are a few functional usable tanks available i would definately like to grab em.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: tiny hole in the bottom well of my radiator Tue, 24 August 2004 00:51 Go to previous message
ok mate did you want to pick it up? pm me...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Install boost gauge on GT4
Next Topic:1ggze engine question.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 17:59:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052011013031006 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.