Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Non Genuine Big End Bearings Mon, 23 August 2004 03:11 Go to next message
Well all good things must come to an end.

After 9 months of fun, my 1G-GTE has let go of a big end bearing. (I think a day at Wakefield may have helped Evil or Very Mad )

I got a quote from Toyota for replacement bearings (they do have some in stock) and they want $40 plus tax each. This is roughly 4 times what they would cost for any other make of car. I can't see the point of pulling the sump off and only doing one bearing, so a set will cost me close to $300.

Question 1. Does anyone know if non-genuine big end bearings are locally available for these engines.

Question 2. Has anyone tried to take a sump off without removing the engine. I am hopeing that I can just undo the gearbox crossmember and undo the engine mounts. I should then be able to lift/tilt the engine enough to take the sump off. I am using a RA crossmember.

Thanks

Anthony
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Mon, 23 August 2004 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate if it helps I have a friend at Toyota NZ, he usually lets this kinda stuff go for quite cheap. Want me to get you a quote?

Also the exchange rate pretty much offsets the postage costs.

Cheers
Joel
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Mon, 23 August 2004 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah that would be great Joel. At the moment, I am assuming that the crank is still good and that they are nominal bearing sizes.

If the crank is stuffed, then I think the old motor will be going back in.
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Mon, 23 August 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2s bearings are the same size - you need 1.5 sets of course. can supply if you require

T

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Mon, 23 August 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah there is a guy from the twincam.org forums who works for Toyota NZ and gets all the good shite.

ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Mon, 23 August 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anthony, it seems as though the guys have almost got you sorted with bearings. May I suggest, that instead of all the tilting etc. why not support the engine with an engine hoist, or "sky hook" (Sits on the strut towers and supports engine underneath.) Then remove your crossmember and then the sump.

regards Chuck.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Mon, 23 August 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forget it, the crankshaft & rod are damaged beyond what a new bearing will correct.

any manufacturers bearings will be OK
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Mon, 23 August 2004 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Chuck, I was thinking of doing it that way, but my engine crane creeps a little. I was hopeing that once the sump was off I could drop it back into it's mounts. If I can't do it that way, I might remove the crossmember.

Allen, if the crank is damaged, I have a slightly tired Gen2 engine that can go in. I can't see the point in getting a crank ground. It has only just started rattling, so I hope the crank isn't too bad.

T, good call on the 2S bearings, I might look around for them too.

Thanks fellas

Anthony
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Mon, 23 August 2004 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Anthony, the guy in NZ can get them around $28 a set (the 2 halves).

Cheers
Joel
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Tue, 24 August 2004 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, what car did the 2S come in??
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Tue, 24 August 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SA63 celica I think.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Tue, 24 August 2004 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gold28 wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 07:39

Thanks Chuck, I was thinking of doing it that way, but my engine crane creeps a little. I was hopeing that once the sump was off I could drop it back into it's mounts. If I can't do it that way, I might remove the crossmember.

Allen, if the crank is damaged, I have a slightly tired Gen2 engine that can go in. I can't see the point in getting a crank ground. It has only just started rattling, so I hope the crank isn't too bad.

T, good call on the 2S bearings, I might look around for them too.

Thanks fellas

Anthony

DUDE WITH THE RATTLING U HAVE SAID , what does that feel like , my soarer 1g-gte makes this shivering vibrating sound when i start it up everyday , when its doing the cold start thing , when its warm noise is gone and car is ok , no vibrating nothing , , although if u listen very closely when idling after a long drive u can feel a small kinda shake, vibration thing normally occurs in large shopping centers where the whole ground kinda vibrates due to all the pumps and machinery working in the plant rooms --- if u get my drift

coud this be a seroius issue for my car ive always been a bit worried about it , dunno what to think of it

sorry for long post
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Tue, 24 August 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not really a vibration, more like it just sounding like a rock in a tin can (not too loud though)

Ever since I put the engine, it has been doing it quietly for about half a second on startup then ran smoothly. But lately it started to do it on idle. It isn't a vibration, just a rattle.

If your worried, get a mechanic to look at it. My guess for your car is that it might just be a loose exhaust manifold. Get it checked out though cos it may cost you a lot more if you don't.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Tue, 24 August 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh damn , thanks for that , i think mine makes the rattle too them , when i start it , its makes a rattle for a split second just as u turn the key then its all gone , then comes the damn vibrating thing , lolllllllll would this happen if te center bearings o drive shaft are gone , as they have a lot of play in them
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Wed, 25 August 2004 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
supposedly 2S-C is the same bearing kit as 3S-FE and costs about $50 retail. I have the dimensions of these and will measure up the crank this weekend.

Indian - I am not entirely sure what your trying to explain, probably best to take your car to a mechanic for advice before something breaks.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Wed, 25 August 2004 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ACL (I THINK) have bearing sets for 1G-GTE's... roughly $65 I believe.

Just make sure you get the right set... some 1g-gte's have larger big end bearings.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Sun, 29 August 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I pulled the sump pan off on Saturday and struck gold...

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~nez_tony/mypic50.jpg

Then it turned out to be the Number 6 big end.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~nez_tony/mypic51.jpg

Suspicion confirmed......

The shaft diameter of the 1G is 44.00mm. The figures i got for the 2S was 47.985-48.00mm so I am going to have to try and hunt down the 1G set or something equivalent.

good news is though, the crank looks fine and while the bearings were a little loose in the rods, they don't appear to be too bad. I'll stick in some new bearings and see how it goes.

Oh and I dropped the crossmember, took maybe a couple of hours to get the sump off. I did have to unbolt the idler arm too to manouver the sump but it was all pretty easy going.

The bearing caps are tiny on these things but there is 7 journals on the crank and when you have a look underneath these, there ain't much room for anything bigger.

Thanks for your help

Anthony

[Updated on: Sun, 29 August 2004 09:44]

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Sun, 29 August 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goooooooooooooooone! Shocked
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Sun, 29 August 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ouchies!

The same happened to mine, but not as bad, and on the first big end. I've yet to actually drive the car with the 1g-gte in it though Sad
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Mon, 20 September 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just rang toyota brisbane, and was quoted $32 a set from precision something-or-other, out of Japan.

Dunno if this helps at all, i tried Repco, as an ACL stockist, and they didn't have anything.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Mon, 20 September 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep that will be $32 a pair, ie multiply that by 6 for a full set.

I ended up getting them through Lander Toyota for about $190 at trade prices. Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks for them from Japan.
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Mon, 20 September 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, thats what I meant, I would have bought them then and there at $32 Very Happy. Guy told me 2-3 weeks from Japan, $192, paid up front. That wasn't trade prices, though, i'm pretty sure.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Mon, 20 September 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
she gooowne alrite
is it hard doin bearings while its still in the car, balancing the crank while u are gettin dripped by oil? it seems it would make a mess
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Non Genuine Big End Bearings Tue, 21 September 2004 08:26 Go to previous message
Nah once you have the sump off, it's pretty easy. The crank stays in (I am not changing the crank bearings) and you just unbolt the conrod caps and change the bearings. Fortunately my crank wasn't damaged, so there isn't any need to machine it. If it was, I wouldn't bother with the engine. Just change it out for another complete motor.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Corolla Rollcage
Next Topic:St141 Corona Brakes.. Ra60?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 23:40:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063090324401855 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.