Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
DIN radio/CD in TA22 Sun, 22 August 2004 07:22 Go to next message
Hi,

Anyone know the dimensions of a DIN size radio/CD?

I need a new radio/CD and I was gonna put it under the dash next to the steering wheel, but thought it may... just may fit in the original radio slot - with a bit of hacking.

The current radio is non-original and the dash was hacked a bit to fit it. So, in leu of getting a new dash and fitting the original radio (yes, original AM/FM JDM radio) I thought, why not go the whole hog and put a DIN unit in there.

So long as the unit isn't too wide to cover of interfere with the vent/fan controls. I think there's enough depth to take the unit, but I am worried about the width and height.

Anyone fitted a DIN into their TA22 dash?

seeyuzz
river
  Send a private message to this user    
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: DIN radio/CD in TA22 Sun, 22 August 2004 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was going to put one there but it is too wide and takes off bout 5mm of vents with border cover on or sits right on the vent edge without border but either way you cannot turn the vents all the way to the left as it hits the border or deck without border Confused

iv seen them to the left of steering wheel, in the glove box

i know of one person who actually put the deck behind where the original went. mounted it behind the dash, got the original radio and basically left the face in tact and put it back in place. he then cut out where the original went and then mounted it back with spring loaded action (basically like the 72 model '22 fuel cover thing between the lights). therefore he would flip it down, change CDs and thenlet it go and it would flip back in place. people would look in and never know a thing Laughing

i was gonna do that bout couldnt be bothered
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: DIN radio/CD in TA22 Sun, 22 August 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a standard din will fit in , but you need to modify ir play about with the heater controls to get it all to fit and work ..

I had one inmine - fitted but the installers bent the controls about + made them not work 100%

my advice if i was to do it again would be turf the standard heater , get one of those ceramic ones from jaycar , and clear up the dash for the CD player to fit without obstruction ..

More stuffing about but youd only need to change the vents control from fresh/recirc, under the dash or onto another control arm
frr33q
Regular

June 2003
Re: DIN radio/CD in TA22 Sun, 22 August 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude dont do it! i did and i regreted it Sad it just looks crap. put it in the glove box, thats what i've done now:D
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: DIN radio/CD in TA22 Sun, 22 August 2004 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure if TA22 & TA23 dash's are the same but I had a DIN in my TA23, it looked great and worked a treat, much better than glovebox.b
scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: DIN radio/CD in TA22 Sun, 22 August 2004 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have had stereo in standard spot on my 22 before and it hits on the back of the heater selector switch. i say go the glove box. i have in mine with a remote. works a treat,dash looks nice and clean, and any theif that looks in thinks u just got standard am radio.
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: DIN radio/CD in TA22 Mon, 23 August 2004 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX

dont' ruin another dash, it's so hard to find original ones as it is
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: DIN radio/CD in TA22 Mon, 23 August 2004 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peewee wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 00:43

GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX GLOVE BOX

dont' ruin another dash, it's so hard to find original ones as it is

thats why i got 2 perfect ones. one in my car now and the other all wrapped up and in hiding cause its just too good to be out
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: DIN radio/CD in TA22 Tue, 24 August 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
definately go for the glovebox, nice and stealthy hehehhe

i had mine on the shelf below the glovebox, looked a little tacky but it was out of sight and with a remote you don't really need to touch the h/u at all apart from changing cd's
bman
Regular

November 2003
Re: DIN radio/CD in TA22 Wed, 25 August 2004 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive had both glovebox and in dash, id prefer having the head unit in the dash, reaching over to change a CD is a pain in the arse.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: DIN radio/CD in TA22 Wed, 25 August 2004 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

bman wrote on Thu, 26 August 2004 08:16

ive had both glovebox and in dash, id prefer having the head unit in the dash, reaching over to change a CD is a pain in the arse.

Yes, I agree. It's a dilema for me. I think I'm going to place the unit under the dash, between the console and the steering wheel. Currently I have an amp/equaliser down there, so it will fit. I'm thinking about getting a blanking panel put in place where the radio is - or, better still, find a wrecked TA22 and take its dashboard. I'll cut-out the radio facia of the "wrecked TA22 dash facia" and place it over my radio area and put in the original radio there. If I do it right, it should look good.

I can always crawl and grovel to Lambo to see if he knows of any JDM spec dash's for sale - and put in a whole new dash.

seeyuzz
river
Bluewire
Regular

May 2002

Re: DIN radio/CD in TA22 Thu, 26 August 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh guys im at the stage of making some TA22 centre consoles with a hole ready for a stereo unit, Fiberglass unit trimed in black or grey with TRD in the trim...and looks awsome..
Heater Fan ok over deck...Dont touch your dash..
Stay Tuned....October

Bluewire car audio
Sean
Bluewire
Regular

May 2002

Re: DIN radio/CD in TA22 Wed, 17 November 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Radio din in a TA22 on this website...

http://www.geocities.com/bluewirecaraudio/TA22Cons ole.html

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/album93/Console04.jpg
schmitt
Regular

February 2004
Re: DIN radio/CD in TA22 Wed, 17 November 2004 22:28 Go to previous message
i put my stereo in the dash and i think it turned out well. my stereo stops just short of the fan/heater controls THEREFORE DOESNT INTERFERE. although i did spend a whole weekend doing it so it turned out perfectly. here are some pics so you can see it.

http://img49.exs.cx/img49/2591/Interior-_0095.jpg
http://img49.exs.cx/img49/5007/Interior-_0094.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 17 November 2004 22:32]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Official D1 Playstation2 Game
Next Topic:AE86 Carpet
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 14:42:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052831172943115 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar