Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » anyone got/know about Tial BOV's?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
anyone got/know about Tial BOV's? Mon, 23 August 2004 07:17 Go to next message
got a Tial BOV on my 4agte and at idle its SLIGHTLY open. so i dunno if its a 4agte problem or a BOV problem, i assume its the BOV. its all hooked up correctly so i dont see why it should be open, maybe the spring is weak so the manifold vacuum can pull it open easy. i just dont wanna be sucking in dirty air all the time. anyone got any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: anyone got/know about Tial BOV's? Tue, 24 August 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
take it back to the place you brought it from and tell them you want the strong spring for it,

there are 2 springs for them the weak and strong ones

Dale
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: anyone got/know about Tial BOV's? Tue, 24 August 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What Dale recommended will fix the problem.

My BOV has adjustable spring preload and when set quite soft it is partially open at idle. I simply just add enough preload to keep it closed at idle.

You don't have to worry about unfiltered air being drawn in though if it is slightly open at idle, I have checked mine and it is definitely blowing air out at this partially open stage at idle (but my turbo is pretty small and is spinning away at idle).

Cheers.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: anyone got/know about Tial BOV's? Tue, 24 August 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If their BOV's are like their wastegates they need the beveled mounting plate to seal the valve....if you bough used they may not have given you this bit. Otherwise it should just be a case of winding up the preload or going to plumb back setup. Basically it shouldn't be open though
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: anyone got/know about Tial BOV's? Tue, 24 August 2004 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i bought it second hand so i cant take it back Rolling Eyes anyone know where to get the spring from? preferably by tomorrow so i can put it in before i get it tuned in the arvo? bummer its not adjustable.

and im pretty sure air is being drawn through it at idle, cause the turbo doesnt even rotate at idle. im worried that if the spring is too piss weak to stay closed at idle hows it gonna cope 18psi when i tuen it?
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: anyone got/know about Tial BOV's? Tue, 24 August 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GCG turbos should have them,

do you have the rubber o ring in the bottom to seal it??

how much vacuum does your motor pull at idle??

dont worry about it blowing open when on boost this is a bull sh!t story that people that make BOV's have come up with, the valve cannot open at full throttle due to the boost pressure pushing the valve shut as well as the spring pressure,

in all the cars i have dynoed with cheap and nasty BOV's on them im yet to see one that leaks at full throttle.... even the $50 auto barn one i have on my misses starlet dosent leak under boost!! LOL

i wouldnt worry about it being open unless you have a AFM, if you dont then dont worry about it

Dale

[Updated on: Tue, 24 August 2004 04:05]

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: anyone got/know about Tial BOV's? Tue, 24 August 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Everyone has given some good info to help you out.

I too am yet to see a BOV that "leaks" on boost, when you run 18psi (same as I run on my 4AGTE coincidentally) you will have 18psi trying to open the BOV but to keep it closed will be 18psi plus the spring pressure which I will guarantee will be adequate. I have had mine set with ridiculously soft pre load in the past when playing around with things and it does not "leak" under boost (was nearly wide open at idle though).

As I have not seen a Tial BOV I don't know what they look like, but in the past I have adjusted sring preload in a BOV by using big washers (same diameter as spring) as spacers to slightly preload the spring and increase it's rate. I just added enough spacers until the BOV piston stayed closed at idle.

But don't rush yourself to get it sorted for the dyno, on boost it will work fine.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: anyone got/know about Tial BOV's? Tue, 24 August 2004 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tial are the best BOV i have every seen,

http://www.tialsport.com/blowoff_valves.htm

they make every other valve on the market look like crap, and they out flow 99% of valves on the market!

dale
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: anyone got/know about Tial BOV's? Tue, 24 August 2004 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOV's usually leak when there's a big restriction in the inlet system, eg factory intercooler can't keep up when you wind up the boost. That means there will be less pressure in the plenum than the turbos are producing, and thus a pressure differential exists across the BOV piston. If this differential is enough to overcome the spring pressure, the piston opens and you get a leak.

There are two ways to fix this: aftermarket BOV with a stronger/adjustable spring, or (preferably) get rid of the restriction!
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: anyone got/know about Tial BOV's? Tue, 24 August 2004 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you put the BOV right before the throttle body you generally wont have those problems

Dale
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: anyone got/know about Tial BOV's? Tue, 24 August 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes that's true, but most BOV-leaking problems occur with factory BOV's which (from what I've seen) are usually mounted near the turbo(s).
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: anyone got/know about Tial BOV's? Tue, 24 August 2004 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn!! They are nice.

I have only ever seen the external wastegates before.

It looks like adding a few mm of spacers to the top of the spring wouldn't be hard (for a short term fix). Simply remove spring (which must be pretty straight forward if they have alternative springs available), find spacers same diameter as spring, add a few mm of spacers, reassemble and test. Adjust spacers thickness to achieve desired outcome Very Happy

What Norbie wrote is very true, that is why if possible you always locate your BOV as close to the throttle body as possible, to eliminate the pressure differential prob Norbie mentioned and to decrease the time it takes for the BOV to respond when the throttle is closed (shorter line from manifold to BOV).

My setup unfortuantely has the BOV before the intercooler (so it is on the opposite side of the cooler to the throttle body and the other side of the engine bay, meaning it's a lengthy line from manifold to BOV) Fortunately the pressure differential is negligable and has no ill effects.

Edit: Damn my slow typing, everyone got in before me Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 24 August 2004 05:03]

10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: anyone got/know about Tial BOV's? Tue, 24 August 2004 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for sure,

factory BOV's leak and are pretty shitty in general, you can push them in with out any effort at all!! LOL the best ones i have seen are the GTR BOV's they work pretty well,

they mount them near the turbo so it is easy to get the plumb back in, the 200sx is different to this and it runs a pipe accross the top of the engine!
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: anyone got/know about Tial BOV's? Tue, 24 August 2004 05:01 Go to previous message
yep spacer will do the job and they are a bloody nice thing, they are huge, they are about the same size as a 1.5L bottle of water!!

if you use that crappy silicon vacuum line the response will be slow, if you use some hard rubber or a braided line you wont have the slow response problems,

Dale
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Fitting a higher flow fuel pump to a 7M-GTE
Next Topic:can the 'G' handle it??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 23:55:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0037651062011719 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.