Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Do I NEED a TPS?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Do I NEED a TPS? Tue, 24 August 2004 06:48 Go to next message
Hey just wondering if i need a throttle position sensor. I currently don't have one on the car at the moment and it seems to be running ok. It doesn't have a afm either but probably has a map sensor. Why do cars have a TPS?

p.s I'm using an aftermarket computer.

Does it mean it will run a tad lean when accelerating and a tad rich when decelerating? (i'm really just guessing here fellas)
  Send a private message to this user    
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Do I NEED a TPS? Tue, 24 August 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forgot to meantion that i've also got a crank angle sensor but i'm assuming thats just used for the ignition side of things???
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Do I NEED a TPS? Tue, 24 August 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What kind of ECU are you running?
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Do I NEED a TPS? Tue, 24 August 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My MicroTech uses a Throttle Position Sensor, along with Crank Angle Sensor, Water Temp Sensor, RPM, volts, air temp sensors.

So I would say, yes it does need it.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Do I NEED a TPS? Tue, 24 August 2004 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ems dual sport

i know the computer has an input for it.. its just that my engine doesn't have one fitted and therefore its not connected up to the computer!
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Do I NEED a TPS? Tue, 24 August 2004 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 3TGTE doesnt have one either and im using haltech F9, do i need one?
rb20det
Regular

July 2004
Re: Do I NEED a TPS? Tue, 24 August 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my car has a tps but it is stuffed as i get error light on mircotech come on when decelerating, what u said is true about running rich when slowing but it also runs lean when cold and idling
RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
Re: Do I NEED a TPS? Tue, 24 August 2004 09:53 Go to previous message

i think tps will be used for acceleration enrichment, ie when you jump on the throttle the computer will richen the mixture. just like accel. pump in a carby. It also leans the mixture when decellerating. whether you can can run without one probably depend on how nice you want your engine to run, and maybe depends on how your computer works.

it may also be used to detect a high proportion of throttle to go into open-loop mode (ie. not using the o2 sensor to correct mixtures, just run straight from fuel map in computer).

cheers
Chris
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Distinguishing crossmembers
Next Topic:soarer tv language conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 09:51:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057849884033203 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.