Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
zumniga
Newcomer

April 2003
Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Tue, 24 August 2004 13:59 Go to next message
hey guys..

Im looking at buying a oil cooler for my 1j while im over in japan.. I was going to go check out a few places etc.. I was pretty keen on buying a brand new kit but might not have the money for that.. I was wondering then, if i do stumble upon a 2nd hand oil cooler kit (preferably with remote mount filter) which cars coould they come off? Bear in mind i have a 1JZ, non VVTI, in my JZZ30 soarer.

Will a jzx90 oil cooler work? What about JZX100/110 ( I believe these are the VVTI 1j's?) Any other models to keep an eye out for? JZS147 maybe?

any light shed on this topic would be nice!

Thanks Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Tue, 24 August 2004 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any decent oil cooler will work, you just gotta learn how to mount it!

Im using a jag v12 oil cooler..its fuckin hooge though. you could use something similar, but youd have to run an oil temp gauge like myself.

jag v12 = 730x120x40

Id buy a new, or decent one when you get back to aus, theyre not hard to find.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Tue, 24 August 2004 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any oil cooler kit designed for a JZ engine will be fine. The mounting brackets for the cooler might not fit and the hoses might not be the right length, but those things are easy to fix.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete, Trust/GReddy make a filter relocation kit and oil cooler kit in one package. Might be worth looking at one of those ? It'll match your intercooler at least Smile

I've got the oil filter relocation kit on mine. I hate where Toyota decided to plonk the damn thing on the 1JZ.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWIW I'm planning to install my oil cooler at the same time as the oil filter relocation. I'm using a generic Ford relocation kit (fits perfectly, cheap and easily available), and then it's just a matter of running a cooler inline with the return hose. Who needs a kit? It's pretty simple stuff!
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and if you buy everything separately it will cost you probably less than $400 to remote mount the filter and run a cooler

i have no idea why people pay over $1000 for a setup simply because it says trust on it
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here here.

I'll basically be using a Mazda rotary oil cooler ('cos I have one in the shed), a Mitsi Sigma Turbo Oil Thermostat (also sitting in the shed) and a generic oil relocation kit (as per norbs), some fittings (also in shed) and some hose (may need to buy some), and whala, for less than $150, it is all done.

I can't believe the price of some of these kits Shocked Shocked
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the mazda coolers are great. cheap and big! but a bit big for most 4 cylinder motors id say (probably about the perfect size for your car though).
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hence the use of an oil thermostat. This is actually something that should be part of any oil cooling system.

Overcooled oil is not necessarily good either !!!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh...my double z9 remote kit only cost me $120 NEW. that includes fittings.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are not that expensive. But don't forget that you still have to buy the hose as well, and if you ever want to remove it from the engine bay, unless you have JIC style connectors, it is a MAJOR PITA.

Been there done that and now will have removable (i.e. JIC fittings all the time) fittings. It is worth the money for ease of maintenance !!!
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Wed, 25 August 2004 14:22

meh...my double z9 remote kit only cost me $120 NEW. that includes fittings.

does it say TRUST on it uleh?

Very Happy
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DAMN WHAT FORD KITS ARE U GUYS USING , IM AFTER A KIT FOR MY GZ20 SOARER

will it be the same ive got the 1g-gte engine any ideas chaps i only after the oil filter plug thing , im getting a nippon denso ranny cooler of a ford for the oil cooler

cheers
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More than likely, a tranny cooler will not be suitable for an oil cooler, mainly due to flow.

Use the correct part, ottherwise you can cause other issues
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah dont want a major restriction on the supply of oil.
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi guys, i was interested in running a remote filter kit on my MA61 ( with the ghey 5ME ), and was wondering if anyone knows whether the ford part you describe fitting the 1JZ, will also fit the 5ME. do you have part no's or descriptions, as this would be a great help to me.
i live in a country area, so help is usually none existant in auto type stores, even when it comes to VK commonwhores Rolling Eyes
thanks.
sorry for the hijack.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike,

oil cooler, powersteering cooler, intercooler

where are you putting everything!
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Wed, 25 August 2004 21:58

Mike,

oil cooler, powersteering cooler, intercooler

where are you putting everything!

I/C comes first, the power steering is getting removed and consigned to a corner of the shed.

I'm not 100% sure where the oil cooler is going to go, but it may requiere some fancy ducting and lay horizontal.

Ed found that a MX73 lip spoiler fitted reasonably well on the MA61, so that can help with the oil cooler, but space is getting low. May have to get a proper oil cooler and ditch the Mazda jobbie.

My RAAF Airframe fitter motto is "If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway"
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Wed, 25 August 2004 22:17

My RAAF Airframe fitter motto is "If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway"

I have the same attitude problem Laughing
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Wed, 25 August 2004 17:11

DAMN WHAT FORD KITS ARE U GUYS USING , IM AFTER A KIT FOR MY GZ20 SOARER

will it be the same ive got the 1g-gte engine any ideas chaps i only after the oil filter plug thing , im getting a nippon denso ranny cooler of a ford for the oil cooler

cheers

i got mine from repco. off the speco thomas site.
product code: 15707

ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bloody Framies! us old Sumpies simply said get a "bigger hammer".

regards Chuck.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChuckLandwehr wrote on Wed, 25 August 2004 22:43

Bloody Framies! us old Sumpies simply said get a "bigger hammer".

Yeah, but you guys could only work on one thing, we had to do the whole lot !!![/off topic rant]

Very Happy
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks V8_MA61

so now i got to geta proper oil cooler , anyone know what cars i can get one off

cheers
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Thu, 26 August 2004 08:37

so now i got to geta proper oil cooler , anyone know what cars i can get one off

Mazda rotaries are the only decent one from factory, or the Jag one as detailed by Blake.

Other than that, your local race shop is the place to go !!!!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil Cooler Blocks - Which are Compatible with my 1jz? Wed, 25 August 2004 22:59 Go to previous message
New oil coolers can be bought from pretty much any car parts retailer (I got mine from AutoBarn) and they're not expensive. There's no need to get some dodgy second-hand cooler from the wreckers, unless you're a real tight-arse!

As for the space issue in an MA61, I'm going to put mine directly under the headlight, mounted vertically with a forward tilt. There's enough room in there for a medium-sized cooler and it's well out of the way of the intercooler etc. This places it directly in front of the duct in the factory spoiler so it will get plenty of airflow.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Silicon hose
Next Topic:cold start on 4agze
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:48:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053689479827881 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.