Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...IT RUNS!! VID INSIDE!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
djbourboncan
Regular

August 2004
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Tue, 24 August 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 15:19

I think you can get shaft mount rockers for them skip..but id have to check on that. Mine are roller rockers..those heads arent compatible with the rail rockers.

you can mate, yella terra make them and they are found here...twin shaft too
http://www.yellaterra.com.au/roller.html

V8_MA61 wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 15:19

Hp flow figures? Dunno really, but i think the engine shop said around 620 or something Confused

it can flow 620hp....what output figures are you hoping for ?...and when are you taking it to the track !!...love to see that in action, some wicked chassis twisting supra, lol

p.s. what colour is the actual car ?
  Send a private message to this user    
85MZ10
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Tue, 24 August 2004 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey green ,Green is nice! And because you painted it green I am willing to forgive you for being such a cock holder Very Happy

I think your little windsor would look good in my corty bay
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/GASSED250/rims/000_0218.jpg

But I could never bring myself to fitting a V8 into it as I like my 250 to much

What trans are you running?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Tue, 24 August 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no idea what my hp output figure will be mate!

The actual car is silver/ blue... www.norbie.net/blake

Am using an r154 5 speed out of turbo supra.

Me a cockholder? Did you mean you want to come hold my cock or?? Confused
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Tue, 24 August 2004 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks the goods, but the colour, hmm how should i say it?

AHHHH my eyes! my eyes! Very Happy
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! Tue, 24 August 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 00:00

Oh, its GREEN

http://oz-enet.com.au/~peewee/blakes_bright_green_bitch_1.jpg

http://oz-enet.com.au/~peewee/blakes_bright_green_bitch_2.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, lime green, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Tue, 24 August 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing hahahah i just remembered you LOVE your lime greens!

And you're a fellow ford bogan as well Wink must be some weird coindecence my friend!
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Tue, 24 August 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 20:33

Laughing hahahah i just remembered you LOVE your lime greens!

And you're a fellow ford bogan as well Wink must be some weird coindecence my friend!

well you know what they say about birds of a feather...
85MZ10
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Tue, 24 August 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got to say goodo to you for using the GOOD brand under the hood.
those 1JZ engines arnt all as there cracked up to be
I have battered many a 1J with my humble old pushrod 250 Razz mind you the TO4 and 10psi helped Very Happy

Hey V8_MA61
You need to bolt this to the side of your little windsor
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/GASSED250/000_0237.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/GASSED250/000_0238.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 24 August 2004 12:00]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Tue, 24 August 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, yes i do...maybe one day Smile
so your 250 isnt even a bloody xflow???

I looked at going a 1gayz, but changed my mind..decided to be different Razz
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Tue, 24 August 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
x-flow ford 250 has intake on passenger side? - looks like a x-flow setup to me.

btw: blake, i don't think i'll ask you to choose the colour of my next car... lime green in a silver-blue engine bay? now that's ghay .. Shocked Cool

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Tue, 24 August 2004 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crying or Very Sad please tell me you didnt mean that Crying or Very Sad
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Tue, 24 August 2004 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mean what? the crossflow bit? or your choice of engine colour? or choosing colour of my next car?
Cool Cool

seriously now: if/when you convert to EFI, will you get a manifold to suit port injection? or just replace the carbi with throttle-body injection (TBI)?

just curious... had been looking up how many MSefi folks had gone TBI, a lot talked about it on the forums, but the 'it runs' section (which isn't comprehensive anyway) didn't list that many.

cheers,
Charles.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Tue, 24 August 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
undecided on the efi configuration. The f truck uses big ports, though the manifold is designed for torque due to its long runners, it doesnt make a lot of power. Edelbrock make a manifold to sit on top of it. Theres all types of ways to do it

Imagine 8 trumpets in an ma61 bay Shocked Surprised Cool
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Tue, 24 August 2004 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86 wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 11:30

16holes Laughing should be better than a small hole CT26 Rolling Eyes

Ummmm i think blake has spent a couple more $ on his engine then my 7m Razz i need to paint mine to make 600hp Razz
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Tue, 24 August 2004 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, that engine looks great

looking forward to seeing it in the supra blake..... Very Happy
kyuik
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Tue, 24 August 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 14:38

All you can see in those photos is a bare engine painted green? For all you know it could be a tidied up block he picked up from the wreckers!

(I'm not saying it is, you just seem to be easily impressed)

f.f.s. norbie,

explain to me why i shouldn't be impressed??.... if blake can make a -ford- enigine look THAT good, he must be doing something right...

i knew about the project before i saw the pics... Sad

JB
rick_o
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Tue, 24 August 2004 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blake...nice work, mate. Love the note on Windsors as well Wink

BTW, what was the ballpark on the heads?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Wed, 25 August 2004 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kyuik wrote on Wed, 25 August 2004 09:18

explain to me why i shouldn't be impressed??....

You have every right to be impressed by a lump of cast iron painted an "interesting" colour. Don't let me stop you! Smile
kyuik
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Wed, 25 August 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie -> Razz

bright colours and shiny metal.. it is just a shame that it will be locked away under a hood....

hey blake... gonna have to get a perspex hood... Very Happy

JB
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Wed, 25 August 2004 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice one man, forget about the block but those heads look fucken sexual, the block looks good too but in contrast the heads are the schizzle dizzle!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Wed, 25 August 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rick_o wrote on Wed, 25 August 2004 09:29

too much..Laughing

seriously, if i did the conversion again i woudlve imported a mustang 1/2 cut or something very similar.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Wed, 25 August 2004 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Wed, 25 August 2004 14:26

too much..Laughing

seriously, if i did the conversion again i woudlve imported a mustang 1/2 cut or something very similar.

Btw: watch thread at about 11pm on thursday nite...the engine will be complete Very Happy
85MZ10
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Wed, 25 August 2004 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes my engine is a crossflow its an old cast iron (yes people they make em out of IRON) head crossflow that has had heaps of work done

All that cast iron is good for keeping the front wheels on the ground Very Happy
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Wed, 25 August 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Wed, 25 August 2004 14:27

too much..Laughing

Btw: watch thread at about 11pm on thursday nite...the engine will be complete Very Happy

if there arent more pictures by 11pm tomorrow night i'm going to chuck a sad, find out where you live and set something on fire...posssibly myself Razz
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Wed, 25 August 2004 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Wed, 25 August 2004 18:40

V8_MA61 wrote on Wed, 25 August 2004 14:27

too much..Laughing

if there arent more pictures by 11pm tomorrow night i'm going to chuck a sad, find out where you live and set something on fire...posssibly myself Razz

Bit over the top dont you think? Confused

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Wed, 25 August 2004 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hes obviously in love with my work Embarassed

*hugs* cyber-punk...i'll do my best Razz
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Wed, 25 August 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for sure
i've got a thing for old fords Wink
and supras Very Happy

i'm gonna have to see this green beast in person one day
need to buy some sunglasses first me thinks...or a welding mask
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Wed, 25 August 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welding mask will be more appropriate Laughing
85MZ10
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Wed, 25 August 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you think having that retina burning colour on yer engine is bad
Try having a whole car painted in it

Its not good after a night on tha piss Freak
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Thu, 26 August 2004 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well ive promised, and im here to deliver:

take it away charles!

its not *complete* but its as close to complete as you can see before its installed in the car.
enjoy!

boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Thu, 26 August 2004 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AND you beat your deadline of 11pm!!!! Can't wait for the pics! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Thu, 26 August 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heheh dad and i were tired, so we couldnt finish putting ALL the rockers on...ah well theres always the weekend!

r154 is now owner of a new case-hardened thrust washer, and is back together..and its gonna be green too! Laughing its pretty fugly with dirt atm, so its to be painted to match the block Wink
*unless* i change my mind and paint the box black
g series diff is gonna be a wild yellow or orange ive decided Razz

[Updated on: Thu, 26 August 2004 12:47]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Thu, 26 August 2004 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
progress pics - thursday 29 august
larger versions are in link below each pic
http://www.mkhala.com.au/thechuckster/v8_ma61_26_08_2004/DSC00343_sm.jpg
(242K version: http://www.mkhala.com.au/thechuckster/v8_ma61_26_0 8_2004/DSC00343.jpg
http://www.mkhala.com.au/thechuckster/v8_ma61_26_08_2004/DSC00344_sm.jpg
(257K version: http://www.mkhala.com.au/thechuckster/v8_ma61_26_0 8_2004/DSC00344.jpg
http://www.mkhala.com.au/thechuckster/v8_ma61_26_08_2004/DSC00345_sm.jpg
(269K version: http://www.mkhala.com.au/thechuckster/v8_ma61_26_0 8_2004/DSC00345.jpg

cheers, folk!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Thu, 26 August 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks charles!!
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Thu, 26 August 2004 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looking bloody awesome Blake!

keep up the good work and I can't wait to see the finished project on the road.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Thu, 26 August 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a quick question...Dont bright colours make engines run hotter since they dont keep th heat in. Thats why most come as black??? Or is that just a mith?? If its not and the amount of work you have done its gonna run mighty hot.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Thu, 26 August 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people100 wrote on Thu, 26 August 2004 22:52

Just a quick question...Dont bright colours make engines run hotter since they dont keep th heat in. Thats why most come as black??? Or is that just a mith?? If its not and the amount of work you have done its gonna run mighty hot.

wtf? if anything a engine working in light, black would run hotter...shiny reflects heat, black absorbs it.
dunno where u heard this crap about shiny running hotter??

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Thu, 26 August 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Thu, 26 August 2004 22:55

wtf? if anything a engine working in light, black would run hotter...shiny reflects heat, black absorbs it.
dunno where u heard this crap about shiny running hotter??

once again, blake... think, perhaps read a little, then post... Twisted Evil

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! PICS within! Thu, 26 August 2004 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ability to radiate/absorb energy is more about surface area - tho colour does have some say in the matter (black objects absorb/radiate heat at higher rate than a reflective)

but, regardless of that ... the colour of the engine will have minimal effect on your ability to control engine temps. presence of a radiator and water-based cooling system ensures that.

however, i'm a design monkey, not a science student - ask one of them Wink

[Updated on: Thu, 26 August 2004 13:13]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Thu, 26 August 2004 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i really think engine colour has fuck all to do with engine operating temperature Confused

if you were running the motor in summer out in the sun with no bonnet on, then black would run hotter.

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Thu, 26 August 2004 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
really? would it?

i need a "blake digs a hole" smiley right now Laughing

in practical terms, i doubt the colour would have any significant impact on final runing temps, but i dare say ill side with the laws of thermodynamics none the less...

... if my engine were in danger of running hot, i'd be coating it in the thinnest layer of black i could find...
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Thu, 26 August 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, it would.

why did you paint your engine yellow if bright colours run hotter? 7ms arent exactly the coolest running things around...

either way, off topic of thread. lets move on.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 August 2004 13:35]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Thu, 26 August 2004 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope, it wouldnt mate...

heat goes downhill, not uphill. the sun will not 'heat' an object that is already hotter than what the suns radiant energy was capable of heating it to. however, on a hot day, the block will equibrilate with the environment at a higher temperature than on a cold day.

the colour of the object dictate the rate/magnitude at which the object will equibrilate its temp (in EITHER driection)... thus black objects will decrease their heat faster (when they are hotter than their environ) and will increase their temp faster (when they are colder than the environ).

as for my engine... yellow looked cool, and its is easy to pick up leaks...

next engine will be black Evil or Very Mad
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Thu, 26 August 2004 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Thu, 26 August 2004 23:11

next engine will be black Evil or Very Mad

Ed's right - black absorbs AND radiates more heat than lighter colours (as long as it doesn't have any funky pigmentation/resin that isulates the heat in the engine). This is why black roads continue to pump out the heat after the sun has gone done, they're releasing the energy they've absorbed during the day.

Why do you think radiators are black? (coated with a really thin layer of black paint)

But of course, if Ed was serious about using a coating to keep his engine cool, he'd use a flat/textured black coating to maximise the surface area of his engine and thus increase the amount of radiated heat. If Ed gets his coating right he may not need a radiator/cooling system at all - but the heat radiated from his engine will probably cause other issues unless the airlflow through the engine bay is high. Smile
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Thu, 26 August 2004 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How come you are using a dual plane manifold? Kinda defeats the purpose of having 600hp worth of flow in the heads? What are youre cam specs and is it hydraulic, solid or roller? I thought youd be definitely going for a single plane like an edelbrock torquer not perfomer chasing 400hp? Sorry for all the questions Smile
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Fri, 27 August 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Single plane manifolds are crap for street use. Drag use only. And they are too high to fit under my bonnet.
Theres not *really* that much difference in it anyway, proper boss racing manifolds are dual plane - remember the mustang allan moffat had? That was a boss 302 with dual plane. Single plane are good for just hosing fuel into the chambers, not really good for my circuit and street use.

I also believe dual planes are better for hi-revving performance motors with a broad torque range.

my cam is a 600 degree lift flat tappet, so its very wild. it will start to get very angry at about 2800rpm

Specs:
282' lift intake
292' lift exh
253' lift intake @ 50'
263' lift intake @ 50'

Gross lift 600'

[Updated on: Mon, 30 August 2004 13:21]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Fri, 27 August 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed is correct, 110%.

in first year physics we did some experiements on thermal conductivity, and proved conclusively that with identical objects, one painted black, the other white, the black object has a far higher thermal conductivity.

Look up thermal conductivty and then rethink what you have been thinking.

btw, engine looks nice for a pushrod, but that green is ghey Razz
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Fri, 27 August 2004 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Fri, 27 August 2004 12:01

ed is correct, 110%.

in first year physics we did some experiements on thermal conductivity, and proved conclusively that with identical objects, one painted black, the other white, the black object has a far higher thermal conductivity.

Look up thermal conductivty and then rethink what you have been thinking.

btw, engine looks nice for a pushrod, but that green is ghey Razz

respect teh green bitch!
every other colour is just over-used or gay! as we all know im *different* Wink
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Fri, 27 August 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but still the question must be asked, how often is the bonnet going to be open to collect these sun rays?

I think the difference in colour would be 3/10th of fuck all personally.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Fri, 27 August 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is in all probability 3/10th of fuck all. But this is toymods, so we like to argue the toss about these minor things forever and a day Very Happy

Just remember Blake - in this house we OBEY the laws of thermodynamics! /end homer voice Laughing

For some reason I really like your car/idea Blake. It doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.....but I like it! Cool

Perhaps the feeling of being in seriously quick, 351 powered XW Falcon as it axle tramped its way towards being wound off the speedo affected my youthful mind many years ago. I loved my Supra, but there's still a special place in my heart for old technology, fuel guzzling, pushrod powered, carby fed V8s Razz
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Fri, 27 August 2004 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the spirit my man, exactly where my decision came from to do the v8 conversion...roar grunt Wink none of this laggy turbo crap Razz

thanks for some positive attitude towards my conversion too! Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 27 August 2004 03:44]

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Fri, 27 August 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Fri, 27 August 2004 09:40

Single plane manifolds are crap for street use. Drag use only. And they are too high to fit under my bonnet.
Theres not *really* that much difference in it anyway, proper boss racing manifolds are dual plane - remember the mustang allan moffat had? That was a boss 302 with dual plane. Single plane are good for just hosing fuel into the chambers, not really good for my circuit and street use.

I also believe dual planes are better for hi-revving performance motors with a broad torque range.

my cam is a 600 degree lift flat tappet, so its very wild. it will start to get very angry at about 2800rpm.

Dual plane manifolds promote higher air velocity meaning you will get more power downlow and therefore more torque but will run out of puff as the revs increase because of this. If that is an edelbrock performer it will be starting to seriously strangle above 5500 rpm, this is what my 308 behaved like anyway.
Single plane are for making power and revs. The question is whether or not the dual plane you have chosen will be sufficient for 400HP? I seriously believe that cam (what is the duration anyway?) and heads flowing 600hp are a serious missmatch for an Edelbrock Performer. Why make 400hp with an asthmatic manifold when you could probably make more with a good single plane with only small low end loss? If your cam starts to get angry at 2800 rpm, your edelbrock performer is aimed at a power band from 1500 - 5500 rpm. I think a torker 2 or victor jr may be a better choice for those heads and cam.

If fitting under your bonnet is a major priority perhaps you should use the biggest hydraulic cam you can get, the performer and some smaller port heads and have a much gruntier street motor?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Fri, 27 August 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a performer RPM not a performer. there IS a lot of difference between the two.

Its designed for 351s for a range of 1500 to 6500

On a 302 it will perform to 7200.

[Updated on: Fri, 27 August 2004 05:37]

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Fri, 27 August 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah ok, I dont think youd get a much better dual plane manifold, yes the perfomer RPM is better but i wouldnt say there is alot different. It will be interesting to see how it goes!!!

On another note I know you said bonnet clearance is an issue, but putting a spacer between the carb and a dual plane manifold helps a bit with better distribution of air/fuel into the two planes. I ran a 2" on top of my performer and picked up 15 - 20hp. What carby are you using a what thickness aircleaner?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Fri, 27 August 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've already thought about that. Hence im using a 1" edelbrock spacer.
the angle that the manifold holds for the carby is designed for better carby performance as well.
85MZ10
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Fri, 27 August 2004 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The angle that the manifolds on will be exactly the same as the STD windsor manifold as with all manifolds that will fit this engine

With the engine fitted you should be able to get a level and sit it on the carb mounting face and if you have done the conversion right the level should be dead straight

If you want a GOOD spacer dont use the edlebrock because all it is, is mass produced cheap shit with a name splashed on it use something good like a Cecere spacer

www.cecere.net.au
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Fri, 27 August 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you read my post?

i said the ANGLE ON THE MANIFOLD. the manifold sits flat, duh. The mount for the carby sits at an angle only.

Theres nothing at all wrong with the edelbrock spacer. Its just a spacer for christs sake.
85MZ10
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Fri, 27 August 2004 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blake you seem too be a little slow mate

The angle that you refer to is (like I said) the same as the STD manifold and this angle is meant to be level when the engine is fitted to the car

Are you understanding me?
Because I dont think I could make it any simpler
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Fri, 27 August 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know its prolly written somewhere but what carby are you using?

Holley?
Dominator?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: V8 MA61 PROGRESS UPDATE...THE GREEN MONSTER IS BUILT! MORE PICS!! Fri, 27 August 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
its a 750 holley.
Pages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Camry SV21
Next Topic:PIX of my Camry SV21..... :)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 06:10:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075819492340088 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.