Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 25 August 2004 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Wed, 25 August 2004 14:47

Yup: go Subaru!! They've finally started releasing WRX's with variable centre-diff torque split. I've never driven one, yet I'm sick of motoring journos whining about they're persistant post-apex understeer. At least now Subaru's giving some owners a choice in how they put their power down.

The STis have always come with this haven't they?
My personal opinion is that if you're going to go and take the 4WD penalty, you'd have to go the whole hog and do the electronically controlled centre (like the Evo & GT-R). Otherwise, it's not worth it.
Most STi owners that really know how to drive just set the split to maximum to the rear and drive around like that.

Oh, and you guys crack me up. Laughing
  Send a private message to this user    
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 25 August 2004 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fairly certain that subaru/STi have only released the variable centre-diff in the last two years. Of course, it could have been kept a JDM secret for a decade! Those crazy Jap car companies with their JDM specials... Mad

(puts on flame suit)

oh, and it's not my fault that FWD's only benefit is its lower production cost, and relatively foolproof response to throttle. Shocked

(applies fire-resistant gel)

Laughing Laughing I crack me up too!!
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 25 August 2004 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Wed, 25 August 2004 15:16

Fairly certain that subaru/STi have only released the variable centre-diff in the last two years. Of course, it could have been kept a JDM secret for a decade! Those crazy Jap car companies with their JDM specials... Mad

(puts on flame suit)

oh, and it's not my fault that FWD's only benefit is its lower production cost, and relatively foolproof response to throttle. Shocked

(applies fire-resistant gel)

Laughing Laughing I crack me up too!!

EXACTLY CHEAP AND NASTY!!!

As for the VCD well the new STi's dont have an electronic control, as far as I know only the 2.5 litre 260kw one has that option and that isnt here yet, but if it did then it would be farken sweet!

4WD Doriftu!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 25 August 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't use a magna as a good example of a FWD - that's for sure Smile Look how hard Toyota tried to battle the problem (of weight management) with the 3S/5S engines in FWD...tilting them backwards and the weight distribution still sucked.

Also - I'm not 100% sure that a long wheelbase is an optimum solution either - I can't be sure (haven't read some of this stuff in a while) but a squarer wheelbase is a better compromise (although I can see why not many cars are made with one). What you do want is a low centre of gravity with respect to the wheelbase/track.

Nark - I crack myself up.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 25 August 2004 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh - and all you lot are on totally different wavelengths in regards to the 4WD stuff...I love it - on gravel I can't imagine anything more awesome than 4WD.

Example - at a not-so-recent rallysprint event a certain p.o.s. stock 4WD L Series Subaru driven by a certain someone set a time that was only 1 second behind Dave Hall (of ARN Junior Challenge winning fame) in his rally-prepped 260Z on the same track.

And that has open front/rear diffs and a locked centre (for the last time, a locked 'diff' is NOT a 50/50 torque split front/rear)
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 26 August 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey: We made 4 pages.

JOY ! Very Happy

Don't stop now peoples!!

I drove the new-shape Astra at work a couple of nights ago. Quality sh!t !!

Not bad with da manual cog-swapper. Not bad at all.

Kudos to the Opel chassis fellas too - It actually hides its FWDness really well until about 8/10ths. It feels really really good under brakes/turn-in too, until the E.S.C. cuts in to ruin the fun that is.

(gulp)
That drink's for my German homeys.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
icon10.gif  Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 26 August 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My sis's boyfriend has an Astra SRI pretty cool except for the no-switchable traction. We tried to slied it round a roundabout and it just won't let you. You get prettty crazy speeds though. Only lets it chirp the wheels in first before cutting in. Pretty stupid the CD which is not the sports model has switchable and so does the turbo but the 2.2 doesn't.

Early this year was following an Asian freind in his Laser early 90's. Theres a corner behind our school that perfect for drifting. His car fully loaded heads into the corner at about 50. I can tell alraedy he won't make it. He keeps the throttle buried and understeers it into the gutter on the other side of the road. bounces off and keeps on driving. scratched the shit out of his mags but was the funniest thing I've ever seen. Front wheel drive + Auto+ shit driver doesn't= drift.
My friends fight over the back seat of my car. They love getting thrown across as I rip into the corner thank lordy for RWD.

I have nothing against fornt wheel drive just that you have to know how to use it. You get lift off oversteer rather than throttle over steer.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 26 August 2004 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 26 August 2004 14:26

My sis's boyfriend has an Astra SRI pretty cool except for the no-switchable traction. We tried to slied it round a roundabout and it just won't let you. You get prettty crazy speeds though. Only lets it chirp the wheels in first before cutting in. Pretty stupid the CD which is not the sports model has switchable and so does the turbo but the 2.2 doesn't.

I know. It's ghey, with AIDS !!

Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 26 August 2004 14:26

Early this year was following an Asian freind in his Laser early 90's. Theres a corner behind our school that perfect for drifting. His car fully loaded heads into the corner at about 50. I can tell alraedy he won't make it. He keeps the throttle buried and understeers it into the gutter on the other side of the road. bounces off and keeps on driving. scratched the shit out of his mags but was the funniest thing I've ever seen. Front wheel drive + Auto+ shit driver doesn't= drift.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

roflmao - Where is the video of that? hilarious!!
Billy-Mason PI
Regular

July 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 26 August 2004 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Sun, 22 August 2004 11:57

RWD= its a lot easier to maintain control of the car or catch it if it goes out of shape...

My 5 cents

I find FWD car is easier to maintain control of because it is more likely to approach the limit more gradually, giving the driver more warning, therefore allowing more time to correct.

I also find FWD can generally (depending on the car off course, again speaking from my experience) corner much faster, if not approach the start of the corner as fast as a RWD. Once in the corner though you can feel whether the car is stable and if so, give it more through the corner and out the end. This my technique and I find that I can usually pass the RWD mid corner then I'm gone.

Also depends on how crazy you drive too I guess. Cool

(My forum is now dark blue. Its different, very noice though Very Happy )

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 26 August 2004 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wish I had of had a video would have been a bit hard considering I was the only one in the car though. I don't need one though that moment will remain etched in my memory.

Theres some pretty crazy drivers at my school, i do stupid things but I'm not crazy. It's only a matter of days before something happens.
One of my mates brother has an sw20 mr2, was doing donuts out the front went into the busbay and almost hit a granny. The deputy and principal stand out the front in the rain and try to catch us.
Funniest was two weeks ago on Friday. Mate in XR6 turns up drops a massive burnout and takes off. Kids come in frojm buying maccas and get caught for jigging luch cos Teachers looked out the front to see the burnout and saw them walking in.
about a month ago a guy in 88 rolla turns up and has stockies on the front spent about two hrs doing laps of the school and doin burnouts. Pretty crap burnouts I just wanetd to see him blow his engine.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 26 August 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Wed, 25 August 2004 16:31

Oh - and all you lot are on totally different wavelengths in regards to the 4WD stuff...I love it - on gravel I can't imagine anything more awesome than 4WD.

Example - at a not-so-recent rallysprint event a certain p.o.s. stock 4WD L Series Subaru driven by a certain someone set a time that was only 1 second behind Dave Hall (of ARN Junior Challenge winning fame) in his rally-prepped 260Z on the same track.

Offtopic Alert!

Dave's 260Z rocks! - As it should, being built by a total Datsun guru, who luckily enough is his dad Peter. But a RWD rally car is always going struggle against 4WD cars, no matter how grunty the engine or well set-up the suspension is. I used to live near Lobethal, and owned a 260z so was often visting the Halls for repairs and advice. He didn't want to touch the Supra though, coz it wasn't a Datto and he is "too old to muck around with all that electonic shit" Laughing
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 26 August 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A mate had a stockie 240Z, sounded grouse. Shame it had the Automatic in it.

I think he regrets selling it everytime he thinks about it now, coz it was pretty straight and neat. Rolling Eyes

Nice to drive, Doriftomatic funmeister!!

He drives a 94 Verada now. D'oh Razz
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 26 August 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh - Only 10 pages and 580 posts behind the ST162 thread. Keep crapping on !!!

Check the Flash "Drift Battle"

http://driftbattle.hk.st/

The d/load is 1.9mb
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 26 August 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Thu, 26 August 2004 16:08

A mate had a stockie 240Z, sounded grouse. Shame it had the Automatic in it.

I think he regrets selling it everytime he thinks about it now, coz it was pretty straight and neat. Rolling Eyes

Nice to drive, Doriftomatic funmeister!!

He drives a 94 Verada now. D'oh Razz

Mine wasn't too straight, and rusted like fury. You could almost hear it rusting as it stood! Would make a fun dooooriffto car as the tail used to step out all the time. Laughing Or maybe that's coz it has rebuilt front suspension but I never got around to finishing the suspension in the back. Laughing They can handle great...but the rust just destroys them.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 26 August 2004 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave Hall's car is absolutely sick! I love the sight of it on full song around a 90' corner Very Happy It's a shame about the datsun boys not being around as much - Andrew Booker, Jack Monkhouse and Dave Hall all seem either busy or strapped for cash or both Smile As much as I dislike datsuns, they were some bloody quick drivers.

Oh yeah...FWD rocks...
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Thu, 26 August 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, but st165 4wd's rock harder

Cheers

Jeff
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 27 August 2004 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hate dick heads in lancers the funniest experience I had was when I was at work experience at Motor Magazine. We had just dropped off a ralliart magna and were heading back to the office in an EVO 6 and this dick in a lancer with a body kit and new tip tried to take us on. Laughs all round there when we took off at the lights. I think he bit off more than he could chew.
Funniest fake lancer I've seen was in Canberra 2 yrs ago for the V8's. Had full evo kit and everything but still had 14inch steelies with dress covers on.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 27 August 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 27 August 2004 13:02

I hate dick heads in lancers the funniest experience I had was when I was at work experience at Motor Magazine. We had just dropped off a ralliart magna and were heading back to the office in an EVO 6 and this dick in a lancer with a body kit and new tip tried to take us on. Laughs all round there when we took off at the lights. I think he bit off more than he could chew.
Funniest fake lancer I've seen was in Canberra 2 yrs ago for the V8's. Had full evo kit and everything but still had 14inch steelies with dress covers on.

Lancers = Ghey with Aids + Hubcaps = Gheyer!

Lancers and those fake spinning hubcaps deserve each other, if i won a million dollars id get a lancer, rice it off its tits and then drive the muther fucker off cliff, with the inventor if the 2 door evo VII bodykit in the boot!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 27 August 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now that you mention it It was a two door as well. Don't these dickheads know that Evo's don't come in two doors or are their head that far up their rectum holes they don't care.
I've seen way too many a lancer in my lifetime and every tool that drives one thinks its an evo. Funny that evos don't get ripped by 19 yr old coronas though. The worst in our area is one with a numberplate 4DWMAN. Honest what chick is going to find a riced up lancer with an exhaust the least bit attractive.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 27 August 2004 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man celicas are for girls or gay hairdressers, it's in the name sillycar. just thought I'd stir up some shit.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 27 August 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If Celicas are for girls, then you'd see a lot more Corolla drivers driving them.

Oh, and Coronas are basically 4 door Celicas.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 27 August 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 27 August 2004 15:29

Now that you mention it It was a two door as well. Don't these dickheads know that Evo's don't come in two doors or are their head that far up their rectum holes they don't care.
I've seen way too many a lancer in my lifetime and every tool that drives one thinks its an evo. Funny that evos don't get ripped by 19 yr old coronas though. The worst in our area is one with a numberplate 4DWMAN. Honest what chick is going to find a riced up lancer with an exhaust the least bit attractive.

Sadly most retarted (know nothing about car chicks) do!

I heard my cousin say once, ohhh i like that car, she pointed to a riced up lancer with 18's and an Exhaust, i then preceded to tell her that if she ever said that in my presence again i would bitch slap her down like she deserved!

Laughing
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 27 August 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 27 August 2004 15:29

Honest what chick is going to find a riced up lancer with an exhaust the least bit attractive.

F**king heaps of women will find that "sporty looking" car attractive. Laughing That's the sad reality of rice-mobiles - the ladies love 'em.

And before there is more useless additions to this thread saying "nah, my chick loves my classic 70's celica" or "chicks really think a grunty motor shoehorned into an 80's wedgemobile rocks"....

1. I am not talking about all women, just 95% of them
2. Most women often care more about how clean your car is than how fast it goes
3. She is probably just being nice to you

Laughing

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 27 August 2004 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My chick really hates the grunty motor shoehorned into the 80's wedgemobile

Sad
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 27 August 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine hated the Supra too - until I sold it! Crying or Very Sad Then it was all "I miss the sound of the Supra driving down my street" and "gee we had lots of good times with that car". But I think she was just trying to make me feel better, because I haven't heard a single nag about the Falcon.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 27 August 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Fri, 27 August 2004 16:14

My chick really hates the grunty motor shoehorned into the 80's wedgemobile

Sad

ROFL!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 27 August 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not funny. Sad
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 27 August 2004 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Fri, 27 August 2004 16:30

Not funny. Sad

Oh you were serious...

That sucks ass man!

Maybe if you drove a more pimped out car like a soarer then she would aproove!

LOL
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Fri, 27 August 2004 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yay I successfully started a bitch fight and kept the crap rolling in go me.
I love my polluting son of a bitch car and thats all that matters. My car blows smoke when cold above 3k rpm. Pretty neet way to stop people from parking me in. There is the girl at our school who is a real bitch and continually park 5cm away from your bumper. Lets just say I floored the car in neutral and her nice clean white bumper turned back.
Mr.Whippy
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 28 August 2004 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well like many have already said, they all have their purposes depending on various situations and other variables affecting the driving conditions and so on, but personally I love driving cars, no matter what they are, and if I can go out, regardless of FWD, RWD or AWD, and learn something new about how the cars handle etc, then I'm content.

The more I learn how to control the different drive setups, the better overall driver I become, and have a lot of fun at the same time, and thats all that matters to me, fun.

So people, can't we all just get along and drive in a friendly world where FWD's and RWD's prace around the circuits holding hands? Laughing

shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 28 August 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DC2s are front wheel drive,

and they cream the hell out of GTRs, FD3Ss, and AE86s on Initial D

so they must be good Rolling Eyes
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sat, 28 August 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shcao wrote on Sat, 28 August 2004 18:59

DC2s are front wheel drive,

and they cream the hell out of GTRs, FD3Ss, and AE86s on Initial D

so they must be good Rolling Eyes

Yeah because it wins on initial D it is the best car in teh world... Rolling Eyes

Oh I am trouble now Evil or Very Mad
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 29 August 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think GT4s 'pull' better than their front-wheel counterparts Smile
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 29 August 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Sun, 29 August 2004 12:03

I think GT4s 'pull' better than their front-wheel counterparts Smile

Of course they do you jackass!

They have a better motor, a turbo and four wheel drive but they still understeer like a motherfucker
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 29 August 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think my corona pulls better than my sisters ke70. Well i hope it fuckin well would, 1.3 versus 2.4 carby versus fuel injection. Honest that car is the least powerful lump I've ever driven. Coming out of corners in second hit the accelerator and nothing. Same corner same gear in my car and I'm flying down the road, I don't think I could cope driving that car all the time.
Never been so scared in my life then in the back seat of the car when my sis was driving. Couple times we were for the gutter and all I could do was hold on. I feel sorry for the poor car. Going up hills in fourth gear at 40kph, then going on straight roads at 60 in the 3rd with the poor little engine screaming, she is never I repeat never jumping in the drivers seat of my car.
Front wheel drive celicas are gay, the 2.2 engine pulls less than the 2 litre in the Mr2 and the new ones have a totally useless power band. 6-8k rpm and in first few gears fall of this even when changing up at redline. How I love low down torque
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 29 August 2004 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Err - okay...whatever.

The 5S-FE is definitely quite ghey, but the ST202 is quite a quick little beast, as is the ST182...sure we got crap down under (ST184 and ST204) but the FWD celica's are not definitivily ghey.

Don't get me started on what I think of the 2.4 efi corona engine.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 29 August 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR-1GGTE -> Your car (although I hear you are having trouble with it) would wet it's pants if it had to take on a GT4 when it's raining.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 29 August 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hate front wheel drives, but I can't comment as my car sucks ass and would suck ass even if it was rear wheel drive. I think I need to give a GOOD FWD a go, and then compare it to a good RWD.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 29 August 2004 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Sun, 29 August 2004 13:12

MR-1GGTE -> Your car (although I hear you are having trouble with it) would wet it's pants if it had to take on a GT4 when it's raining.

My car is gonna be primed and ready to go on wednesday (hopefully) with a new motor, I would rather have my car for corners than a GT4 because they understeer like a mofo and i have had several people tell me this!

On takeoff yes i will get caned in the wet simply due to 4WD grip but stock for stock down the quarter well...

Signup for the Drag night at AIR that i am organising that will be coming up very soon and i guess we can find out...
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 29 August 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I doubt a GT4 would understeer in the wet - maybe I'll get the chance to prove that on the cruise Smile
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 29 August 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Sun, 29 August 2004 14:25

I doubt a GT4 would understeer in the wet - maybe I'll get the chance to prove that on the cruise Smile

Prove all you want, but i am telling you that most (not all) 4WD will understeer on most tarmac conditions
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 29 August 2004 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most of the time it has alot to do with the driver pushing his car past his capabillty or the cars capabillty (or both)
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 29 August 2004 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR_1GGTE -> And I say verily unto ye - that if I only cared about dry tarmac then I would've got a turbo supra, not a GT4 Smile
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 29 August 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A challenge it is then Very Happy
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 29 August 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Sun, 29 August 2004 17:57

MR_1GGTE -> And I say verily unto ye - that if I only cared about dry tarmac then I would've got a turbo supra, not a GT4 Smile

Start caring!!

Hock a ride in something with slicks dude - nothing quite like cacking your dacks for the first few (quick) laps, with a demented grin on your dial!!

Oh - and if you can afford a late-model Turbo Supra - Give me some money!! That way I can upgrade from the Go-Kart to something REALLY quick!!

MMmmmmmm....... . . Formula 4000 (Holden)

MMmmmmmm...... . . . Wings and Slicks...
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Sun, 29 August 2004 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like YOU need a ride in a rally car Razz
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 30 August 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've worked a Coupe4 silly on the dirt, as well as AWD wagons and Cross-trac utes. Surely that counts as having some idea of how hard rally cars go? Yeah yeah, I know how much difference rally tires make, no way I'd turn down a ride/drive in a 4wd rally-mobile! still, AWD and 270kw, 480nm isn't slow on the slippery stuff. A whole lot of pointing the nose at the apex, then holding the foot well-flat, provided you've got faith in your entry line+speed.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 30 August 2004 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't this supposed to be about FWD's, just crapping on to see how many pages we can fill with posts.

The unltimate in terms of shit house would have to be an old oldmobile go the yanks for their ingeniues idea of sticking a 7.0l V8 and chain driving it through the front wheels. I thought my dad's pulsar had torque steer man thats just fuckin stupid.
Wonder how many yanks died driving this thing though thats not really an issue is it.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 30 August 2004 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Mon, 30 August 2004 00:32

Sounds like YOU need a ride in a rally car Razz

I have hammered the fucken crap out of an EVO and a WRX countless times, the WRX was my Dads so i knew that car fairly well, and they still understeered, a rally car doesnt count becuase it is a race car and costs a quarter of a million dollars...

FWD boy do you drive on dirt or tarmac more?

I know that most roads are tarmac and unless you live in the country then whats the point of a car that only handles super well on dirt?
Buddha
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 30 August 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have to say the purist in me thinks RWD is the bees-knees, but having said that, I had so much fun in 6 years and 160,000kms in my old Starlet, I kinda wish I still had it.

I think what we are all looking for is FUN, and I've learnt that with a bit of practice and learning a car's personality, any car* can be fun to drive in the right circumstances.

* Please note, the term "Any car" applies to any car, except Daewoo Matiz, FSM Niki and any Lada! Very Happy
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Mon, 30 August 2004 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buddha wrote on Mon, 30 August 2004 22:08

I have to say the purist in me thinks RWD is the bees-knees, but having said that, I had so much fun in 6 years and 160,000kms in my old Starlet, I kinda wish I still had it.

I think what we are all looking for is FUN, and I've learnt that with a bit of practice and learning a car's personality, any car* can be fun to drive in the right circumstances.

* Please note, the term "Any car" applies to any car, except Daewoo Matiz, FSM Niki and any Lada! Very Happy

TESTIFY BRUDDHA!!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 31 August 2004 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nnnnrrrAAARGggh - how many times have I already suggested that??!!!

Oh and I live about 500m from dirt roads.

And technically we are still arguing about drive location so it's not as off-topic as some threads get Smile
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 31 August 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I have hammered the fucken crap out of an EVO and a WRX countless times, the WRX was my Dads so i knew that car fairly well, and they still understeered
On dry tarmac, hell yes the WRX understeers a fraction...but it's not some fucked up pig-understeerer. On dirt, if the car is still understeering badly, then perhaps you need to check your entry/mid-corner speed a fraction. I don't really mind understeer either, I mean it's technically alot quicker than oversteering.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 31 August 2004 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David "I hate oversteer" Coulthard, on Silverstone.

Taken flat out (Hangar Straight) with a top speed of 190mph / 305km/h in sixth gear, this long blast leads to Stowe. Due to the late nature of the apex you are braking all the way into the corner, flicking down the gears to 112mph / 180km/h to negotiate the right-hander. The worst thing you can get here is understeer as it will affect your lap time a lot in that particular corner.
You then roll out into a very straight forward exit along Vale that takes you down into Club, reaching 175mph / 280km/h before braking for the long right-hander. You can develop a bit of oversteer here, as you accelerate through the corner reaching 130mph / 210km/h.

And this from someone who craves slight understeer....

which I gotta admit is the quick way to set up a RWD, as long as you can throttle-steer the sucka, which I don't THINK is a problem in F1.. Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 31 August 2004 04:47]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 31 August 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 14:16

which I gotta admit is the quick way to set up a RWD, as long as you can throttle-steer the sucka, which I don't THINK is a problem in F1.. Razz

Well not with 700-odd hp it wouldnt be Very Happy

As for the WRX well i have never taken one on dirt as I didnt want to smash it but it is more than a slight understeer on tarmac, if anything i would say its as bad as some FWD's
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 31 August 2004 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 15:30

Make that 900-odd hp, at 19,000+rpm Evil or Very Mad
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 31 August 2004 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 15:12

MR 1GGTE wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 15:30

Make that 900-odd hp, at 19,000+rpm Evil or Very Mad

Mark Holden said

Now thats what im talkin BOUT!! Very Happy

That guy is such a homo but I felt that comment was fitting
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 31 August 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hrmmm - again, depends which model you have driven as well, the MY01 onwards are much worse understeerers (softer settings) compared to MY99 (which my dad has). Secondly, with cars like these, it's hard to determine what is understeer and what is just a natural increase in turning radius vs steering input as the magnitude of velocity increases.

I wouldn't say they have bad understeer...definitely not the one I drove. But, you know, there's driving style to take into account and the tyres used, suspension settings, diff settings etc etc.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Front wheel drives Tue, 31 August 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 19:39

Hrmmm - again, depends which model you have driven as well, the MY01 onwards are much worse understeerers (softer settings) compared to MY99 (which my dad has). Secondly, with cars like these, it's hard to determine what is understeer and what is just a natural increase in turning radius vs steering input as the magnitude of velocity increases.

I wouldn't say they have bad understeer...definitely not the one I drove. But, you know, there's driving style to take into account and the tyres used, suspension settings, diff settings etc etc.

Well my old man has had an MY00 (last of the non bugeyed) and now he has an MY04, and they both understeer, unless you tap the HB and induce some powersliding which defintiely puts a smile on ya dial!

However he also has an S2000 and you dont need the handbrake to induce oversteer and that is the whole point i am trying to make!

Id rather be driving the Honda any day
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Front wheel drives Wed, 01 September 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Methinks your oldie has too much money and too good a taste in cars Razz
Pages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Initial D Celica
Next Topic:AE86 imported for track/rally only? Approx cost?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:27:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01130485534668 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.