Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
AE86 rear brake lockup ! help Thu, 26 August 2004 07:31 Go to next message
Hi all,

I've been having problem with the right rear wheel locking up, not so much in the dry but in the wet. Just give the brake a tap or progressively pressing the brake it will lockup its really annoying.

Now so far I've taking it to the brake guy they have a look at it and they reckon brake is good and can't find any wrong with it.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the suspension, because when I brake the car seem to nose dive and maybe lifting the right rear wheel off the ground causing the tyre to skid along the road?? Anyone have similar problem with their Sprinter? How the hell do I fix this? Do I need to carry a bag of cement in back of the car whenever it rain Laughing ?

any help would be great thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: AE86 rear brake lockup ! help Thu, 26 August 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your right rear drum must be setup tighter than the left. When you take the wheel off, then the drum cover measure the length of the left adjuster (take sometime to do this) and then windback the right side acordingly. However since its probably been like this for awhile I suggest you get new pads/horns then adjust it.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 August 2004 09:30]

drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: AE86 rear brake lockup ! help Thu, 26 August 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it might be..are your struts and springs at the front any good? or the stock old ones, cos my nice TRD green inserts in my struts acutally colapsed on one the drivers side, and would only come up to about half the height of the other one, then flop straight back in! the nose really did dive under hard braking, and the car felt sloppy all up. so the excess weight transfer might be causeing this. (it sounds like something from gran turismo i know!)

my remidy was custom coilovers, and new gear in the back too..
(it was even noticeable with the wheels i have on the car at the moment 15x9" speedstars with 205/50 rubber on it!)

it could be as simple as what Andrew said too... Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Thu, 26 August 2004 09:34]

PerformanceCars
Regular

November 2003
Re: AE86 rear brake lockup ! help Thu, 26 August 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
same thing happened to me.. one front shock insert died and made the back get some bad compression lockup under hard braking
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: AE86 rear brake lockup ! help Thu, 26 August 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
compression lock up under hard braking?? Rolling Eyes
i wish i had your problem, my back brakes dont even work at the moment. hmm, thinking of gutting the bias valve.
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
Re: AE86 rear brake lockup ! help Fri, 27 August 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've actually adjusted both the rear drums so they're loose and the wheels spins freely. So I'm thinking it might be the front shocks or springs?

Anyway yesterday I try putting some weight at the back that seem to help it didn't lock up once. How about if I were to get a stiffer springs/shocks for the front would this have the same affect as having weight in the back? (ie reduce weight transfer to the front during breaking)

Thanks
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: AE86 rear brake lockup ! help Fri, 27 August 2004 08:41 Go to previous message
yes, it would, because it would reduce the transfer (pitch agle), you said the front dives under brakes..so what does the back do? lift!..i just put TRD coil overs in the front with 7.2 kg/mm springs, and did the rear suspension with some RA40 lowered rear celica kings (minus one bottom coil Very Happy ) with new short shocks in the back, she is beautiful!!! so happy with the handeling! Shocked
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:People with AE86's, need help.
Next Topic:1JZGTE - Maxed out my injectors
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 02:50:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053071975708008 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.