Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

ST165 GT4 Thu, 19 August 2004 02:16 Go to next message
How much is one of these worth now days? I am looking for a daily driver/toy car because I want to garage the Grp A.

I have found one in pretty decent condition (only 91000km!!) just wondering what you would expect to pay?

[Updated on: Thu, 19 August 2004 04:08]

Send a private message to this user    
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST185 GT4 Thu, 19 August 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anywhere between 9 - 14 Grand these days .

Ultrasonix has a NICE blue one with the GRP a bodytrimmings and W to A on here for about 13K .. From what i know its a very sweet car .

Hopefully gunna see it in a week or two
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: ST165 GT4 Thu, 19 August 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well at 10,500 this falls into that range...pretty nice machine too!

Any ideas what to look for in a 165? any common rust spots etc... my brain aint working but i cant think of anything simple to search for "st165 +problems" maybe...but that returns rather non-specific results.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 August 2004 04:14]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST185 GT4 Thu, 19 August 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
165 or 185?
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: ST165 GT4 Thu, 19 August 2004 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
165, and yes I am an idiot!!

[Updated on: Thu, 19 August 2004 04:15]

79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST165 GT4 Thu, 19 August 2004 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This site has abit of info on what to look for when buying an ST165 GT4... im looking into purchasing one aswell

http://www.gtfours.co.uk

[Updated on: Thu, 19 August 2004 06:19]

KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 GT4 Fri, 20 August 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Last time i checked GT4's ranged from high sixes to low nines. This was for both 185's and 165's. The 185's were on average about 800-1300 dearer than 165's. The average cost for 165s non-complied seems to be around 7k so you should be able to have one imported and complied for a fraction under ten.

This morning i was considering posting in this thread offering mine for sale (i want more power!) but i have decided to play the pragmatist game. Ie, persist with the 165 then get a more serious car in the $30k range.

Lightened flywheel comes on Monday, brand new decals are being applied on Tuesday and its being serviced on Wednesday!

Squid:If i was you, i'd sell your Grp A and put all the money towards a 205. Its just a better all round platform.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 GT4 Fri, 20 August 2004 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As if you could pick up a 1990 GT4 for high 6 grand??? Maybe a fucked out one.

Anyway, common rust problems on a 165? Not many of them, things like sunroofs (although I don't think the 165 has them?) and around the windscreen are common, and also the boot/spare wheel space if the car has got leaking window seals (seems to happen on more than a few 162s I've checked out).

KYOTO - I'd never buy an ST205 - I just can't help but feel that toyota absolutely rooted that cars reputation with the whole rally-cheating thing...even though the road car is perfectly good Smile
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: ST165 GT4 Fri, 20 August 2004 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KYOTO - ummm no chance never, aint going to happen!! Don't like the 205's! I know the 185's don't perform as well, but that is not what it is all about...

Or are you looking to buy one and you are just trying to get more on the market?? Razz

Thanks FWDBoy - The one I had my eye on is out of the picture - im guessing head gasket + maybe more - which i cant afford to rebuild another 3sgte - just did that!
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST165 GT4 Fri, 20 August 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey squid since your a canberra boy, are you looking at a local ST165 by any chance, lives in the Mcquarie area (i think) white one, 2 triangular vents in the bonnet, 16" wheels?

By any chance?
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: ST165 GT4 Sun, 22 August 2004 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wiso - That is the one by the sounds.... got too drunk on sat night tho, there was no way i was driving out to see it on sunday as planned!!!

Why do you ask?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST165 GT4 Mon, 23 August 2004 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I figured it might be cause with 90,000kms on the clock.

A friend was looking at buying it, so we took it for a test drive, a prestien example, no rust, perfect body, nice paint. and best of all completely stock, cept for the wheels, gearbox was in great condition, its a real collectors peice, the kind of car you buy to keep value (ie no modifying). the owner said that one was one of the original 10 toyota brought out to australia in 88 for rally use, but that one survived and never got converted.

it was such a damn nice condition I talked him out of buying it cause all he wanted to do was modify the hell out of it, you know, up the boost heaps, big front mount, lower, big zorst.

nah great car. if i had the money I would have bought it and nurchured it.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST165 GT4 Tue, 24 August 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry. For the price range given i thought i implied that the lower spectrum referred to 165's while the 8k range referred to 185's. For anyone who doesn't believe me go to Prestge Motorsport and look in the sold section.

Squid: Already got one dude, sorry.

FWDboy Whats so hard to believe about picing up a 1989 Celica 4WD non complied in the 6k range? It might not be as tidy as the one Wiso is talking about but it certainly wouldn't be "fucked out". If you wanna see what a fucked out one look likes and how much they are worth go to the link below. Re the 205 thing, im a big rally fan so i can see where your'e coming from, but thats about as rational as saying you wouldn't buy a Delta Integrale because the S4 version got a bad name by bringing about the demise of the Group B class! Fair enough thats your opinion and im not saying your'e wrong for having it, but it just seems a little irrational to me. Each to their own i guess.

Wiso: Similarly, im not having a go at your friend's (or your opinion) but owning a non-modified 165 would get frustrating after a while. Contrary to popular belief they aren't as fast as a lot of ppl think and i can't see them appreciating in value to the point that modifying them would be a bad financial decision. ie, the gains to be had in performance would outweigh the potential appreciation in value. I would have thought they only have value to those ppl who are into them, which in the wider marketplace, isn't many. Considering what else you can buy for the money...

PS: i hope im wrong as i stand to gain, being the owner of a very tidy example, but thats just my two cents. Smile By the way, i don't plan to ever sell mine because i just own't get the money back for it. In the scheme of things it didn't cost me jack shit!

Clicky Clicky for a "fucked out ST165"
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=69&a mp;start=0

[Updated on: Tue, 24 August 2004 23:27]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 GT4 Thu, 26 August 2004 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

FWDboy Whats so hard to believe about picing up a 1989 Celica 4WD non complied in the 6k range? It might not be as tidy as the one Wiso is talking about but it certainly wouldn't be "fucked out". If you wanna see what a fucked out one look likes and how much they are worth go to the link below. Re the 205 thing, im a big rally fan so i can see where your'e coming from, but thats about as rational as saying you wouldn't buy a Delta Integrale because the S4 version got a bad name by bringing about the demise of the Group B class! Fair enough thats your opinion and im not saying your'e wrong for having it, but it just seems a little irrational to me. Each to their own i guess.
An ST185 for 6k is definitely a low price, but again it depends on whether you are incl. shipping etc. As for my 'illogic'....well car love never was logical. Neither was the FIA's banning of Group B which was more related to that car that exploded killing 27 spectators than it was to Henri Toivonen & co-driver (forgot name) exploding.
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST165 GT4 Thu, 26 August 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They didn't cancel after that, they had a few more races then a Delta S4 when off a cliff and incinirated itself and occupants.

Also, after toyota's failed attempts at group b with the ra45? The square coupe which ever that is, they were developing an mr2 for the job modified aw11 with something around 380bhp I think shall find the link soon hopefully

Edit: Sorry, it was 600bhp

http://www.stormloader.com/groupb/toyota.html

[Updated on: Thu, 26 August 2004 11:49]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 GT4 Fri, 27 August 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyota's 'failure' with the TA64 (?) wasn't so bad, I mean it won three safari rallies in 84-86. And Ivory Coast three times (83, 85 and 86). In fact, the ST205 won less WRC rounds than the TA64 did Smile

I don't think that they banned group B over just henri toivonen and sergio cresto's death! Rallying was too popular, crowds were out of control because organisers had to suddenly deal with a level of crowd an order of ten larger than they were used to, the drivers were driving cars that were totally different to what they used to drive just a few years earlier, the pace had increased dramatically. There were so many factors...plus don't forget there were quite a few other drivers before toivonen that died and they ran a few rallies with Group B cars after toivonen's death too. It'd be a bit dramatic to conclude that because of one accident they canned group B.

The Delta S4 DID NOT end Group B...the FIA did.

I wish they had kept it around though...but I have a feeling drivers would've died in that carbon fibre death trap Group B MR2. I guess that's why we have WRC rules these days - minus the 36mm (?) turbo restrictor it might almost be a good formula.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST165 GT4 Fri, 27 August 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and on topic for a sec...the ST165 is toyota's second most successful WRC car...it amassed 13 wins in 89-92 and the only Toyota to topple that was the ST185 with 16 wins in 92-94.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: ST165 GT4 Fri, 27 August 2004 07:44 Go to previous message
wiso wrote on Mon, 23 August 2004 16:22

the owner said that one was one of the original 10 toyota brought out to australia in 88 for rally use, but that one survived and never got converted.

Did Toyota get a compliance plate for this car ?
If so it would be worth buying for sure !

Cheers,
Mitch.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:The most unbelievably awesome drift you'll ever see.
Next Topic:My trip to the coast
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 12:21:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056509971618652 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.