Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » HELP!! retreiving files off hard drive??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

icon5.gif  HELP!! retreiving files off hard drive?? Sun, 22 August 2004 07:27 Go to next message
I have recently had my computer crash on me. Im now using a different one, but have decided to hook up the old hard drive to it to see what is wrong.

The old hard drive is a 40gb seagate, and is partitioned into two 20s. When i plugged it in, and i try to access the drives, which are now called "D" and "E", e drive..which had no operating system files on it, only music etc, is the only one which will open up.

The other one which housed all the operating system stuff...and ALL my photos and car videos wont open! Mad
It says when trying to open : "D:\ is not accessible error performing inpage operation"

Anyone know what the go is? I dont know whats happened, just that with the old computer, it wouldnt load properly, and kept resetting itself. Is there any file retrieving software around that will allow me to extract my files???

thanks heaps guys
Blake
  Send a private message to this user    
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: HELP!! retreiving files off hard drive?? Sun, 22 August 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what OS you running now? AND what OS was on the stuffed drive?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: HELP!! retreiving files off hard drive?? Sun, 22 August 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
both are xp professional.

If its in fact a virus, are the files retrievable? or does it sound like the hdd is fucked? Surely if i can access one partion of it, theres nothing wrong with the drive itself?
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: HELP!! retreiving files off hard drive?? Sun, 22 August 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it sounds like your current OS is running fat32 while the old one is most probably NTFS for D: and fat32 for E:

OR

d: was a dynamic disk

what to do:

click start - settings - control panel - administrative tools - computer management...

in there select disk management and check this: -
- what file system each drive is (in front of your face)
- whether the drives are dynamic or basic (bottom half of the right side where it has the disk number)

let me know the results

PS im taking my little sis to the movies now and wont be back for bout 3 hours so dont do anything till i get back Very Happy
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: HELP!! retreiving files off hard drive?? Sun, 22 August 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it doesnt have an "administrative tools" section in the xp control panel Confused
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: HELP!! retreiving files off hard drive?? Sun, 22 August 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you need the service pack for that. I dont know where you can get it.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: HELP!! retreiving files off hard drive?? Sun, 22 August 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Sun, 22 August 2004 18:33

click start - settings - control panel - administrative tools - computer management...

or right click my computer icon
left click on manage
then on the left is "disk management"

Smile
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: HELP!! retreiving files off hard drive?? Sun, 22 August 2004 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the piece of shit isnt even being recognised now!!

anyone know someone/ somnewhere thats capable of fixing hdds? Or am i just in bad luck and lost everything?
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: HELP!! retreiving files off hard drive?? Sun, 22 August 2004 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you can get it recognised again (pull it out and try it again tomorrow would be best) then back up what you can (drive E:). then format that partition only to start with

with the other partition tell me what i want ot knwo if you can and ill see what i can get you to do further to that...

as for someone to read it, it is possible, VERY POSSIBLE but would cost a bit cause they may need to go back to binary cod to get the info and thats not easy! yes there are programs they have that do it but mate it takes AGES, hell it takes FOREVER almost

personally i believe if you want 2 partitions then get 2 HDDs... yeah i know a bit late now but meh...

but let us know if you can get it running again and try get the info i want and ill be more than happy to try help out more if i can
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP!! retreiving files off hard drive?? Sun, 22 August 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Sun, 22 August 2004 22:51

the piece of shit isnt even being recognised now!!

anyone know someone/ somnewhere thats capable of fixing hdds? Or am i just in bad luck and lost everything?

Could very well be in the shit and lost everything due to that error indicating bad media. I won't bore you with the whole process of what causes the error because there is no real fix for the cause.

Retail boxed liteon CDRW is only $37 dude. Moot point now, but worth considering if you don't want it to happen again.

I could possibly look at the drive for you anyway if you can get to petrie with it, but I doubt much could be done.

One question though, can you actually copy the files, or are you just trying to run them?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: HELP!! retreiving files off hard drive?? Mon, 23 August 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some of these may sound stupid, but it's ALWAYS good to try the basics first. I see it EVERY day - clever guys who know what they're doing just overlooking the basics when it comes to PC's:

1) Try good 'ol scandisk. Tick all the options and restart windows (should need to restart windows to do a full scan).

2) Check all IDE and power cables are in firmly.

3) What they said - make sure you're running NTFS (not FAT32), and that all disks are active, healthy, and converted to dynamic disks.

4) Make sure the disk actually spins up when you power on the pc, and listen for clunking, buzzing or crunching noises coming from the disk - this indicates a broken pickup arm, bad or offcentre platters, or a busted motor. If any of these are the case, you'll need to send it off to the pro's for data recovery (between 100 to 500 bucks, but I've never seen it fail). When listening the good 'ol screwdriver earphone works well. Also hold the drive in your hard while it's on, and twist it slightly from side to side - you should be able to feel the gyro effect from the motor running.

5) Make sure the disk shows up in bios. If not, check all jumper settings on the disk, and check all the low-level things I've said previously. Make sure the jumpers on the disk aren't set to restricted size mode, non-LBA mode or any of the other stupid modes a lot of disks come with.

6) Try copying the files over from your old HDD to the new one (DO NOT MOVE THEM!) and then opening them. Could be a problem with the HDD access controller. If you move the files, you risk permanently stuffing them so that even a data recovery might not be able to get them back.

7) Check your windows drivers. Make sure all primary and secondary IDE/DMA controllers are installed, up-to-date and operational.

Some of this might be a little extreme (like paying for data recovery) - it just depends on how important your files are.

Hope this helps.

-J-
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: HELP!! retreiving files off hard drive?? Mon, 23 August 2004 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when you say it's not being recognised - is that in windows or at bios?

-J-
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: HELP!! retreiving files off hard drive?? Mon, 23 August 2004 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
windows mate. I have 2 cd burners, and most of my pictures are on cd, but all my car videos and other shit was in my documents on the fucked hdd.
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: HELP!! retreiving files off hard drive?? Tue, 24 August 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cant remember how to do it without looking it up (google is your friend) yet what worked for me was to take ownership fo the files under a detailed settings menu by memory
edit
just remembered if a prog called pc recovery or somethign along those line
the comapny based in europe and have a sw based solution ( yay its free) and a user pays (send your hdd to them) recovery service

[Updated on: Tue, 24 August 2004 11:26]

Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: HELP!! retreiving files off hard drive?? Fri, 27 August 2004 16:05 Go to previous message
go to some warez site or emule and look for a Data Recovery Program, we use them at work whenever we need to get important customer information of a stuffed drive. works well. good luck.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:looking for work
Next Topic:Don't get caught doing the 185
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 08:24:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055739879608154 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.