Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon8.gif  Sidchrome spanners eh Sat, 28 August 2004 01:31 Go to next message
Confused

The other day I broke my cheap crappy (you all know the type Smile ) ring spanner getting the turbo manifold off the M-TEU, so I decided I'd bit the bullet and get a 'proper' set of ring spanners.

Did some looking (and some price hunting) and the Sidchrome 14pce roll looked the goods Very Happy

Bah, sure the 14mm ring didn't snap getting the rest of the manifold bolts off so that was a good start......but when it came time to take the turbo apart (in particular the exhaust housing bolts), there were 2 that I couldn't get the 12mm ring end onto. I thought 'no worries, I've got a brand new set of great spanners, hell the best in the world even Razz ', so I proceeded to use the open end..........with interesting results.

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/Sidchrome%20Spanners/tn_DSC00569.JPG
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/Sidchrome%20Spanners/tn_DSC00570.JPG
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/Sidchrome%20Spanners/tn_DSC00571.JPG
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/Sidchrome%20Spanners/tn_DSC00572.JPG
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/Sidchrome%20Spanners/tn_DSC00573.JPG

The pics don't really show it very well (ignore the dent about 2/3 of the way to the end, thats Sidchrome's 'anti slip design'), but the 12mm OE (open end) isn't in real good shape now, the ends are no longer parallel and even the chrome has ripples in it Shocked Also I tried the 14mm on one nut, and it distorted as well.

I've since taken them back (couldn't do an exchange as they didn't have anther set), and now have to decide what to get to replace them, and I thought Sidchrome was a pretty decent brand, more than good enough for a pretend home mechanic like me anyway Very Happy

Just thought some ppl might be interested to know of my experience, in all likeliness I've just managed to get the only set in the world that had a problem, but hey, who knows. Has anyone heard/seen of similar problems with Sidchrome gear?

Cheers
Wilbo
  Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sat, 28 August 2004 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aren't they the ones who have lifetime warranties?

if so, i think you would have a freak bunch otherwise they wouldn't still be in business Smile
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sat, 28 August 2004 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well sidchrome arent in business anymore, they were bought out by kinchrome/kingchrome (whatever) but they still make tools under the sidchrome banner as well as their own with lifetime warranties.

as for your tool set i believe it is a once off freak thing cause my whole tools sets are sidchrome and i havent had a problem... hell they get bolts that are sooooooooooooooooooo stuff off its amasing...

but you never know i guess... i use a normal spanner and it will round the nut, then i try the sidchrome and it comes off like a breeze... but for initial removal you should be using ring end spanner
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sat, 28 August 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Sat, 28 August 2004 12:30

but for initial removal you should be using ring end spanner

Yes, thank you Razz. So if I can't get a ring end on it what do I do? Leave it there?

Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sat, 28 August 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Sat, 28 August 2004 17:26

fade-e wrote on Sat, 28 August 2004 12:30

but for initial removal you should be using ring end spanner

Yes, thank you Razz. So if I can't get a ring end on it what do I do? Leave it there?

Smile

Cheers
Wilbo

gas axe...
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sat, 28 August 2004 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Eyes yeah you could leave it there Laughing or get good old grinder out Laughing

i kinda realised you prob couldnt get a ring end but couldnt be bothered editing it

get a metwrench... has anyone used one of those???
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sat, 28 August 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe, the grinder was indeed the weapon of choice to finish the job off!

btw very interesting to find out that kincrome make/own sidchrome....is it just word of mouth, or can you point me to a source of info on the matter Smile ?

Cheers
Wilbo
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sat, 28 August 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My old boss was told that sidchrome was bought out by kingchrome by a tool wholesaler ages ago.

Metrinch stuff is awsome to use
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sat, 28 August 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666: i really cant direct you anywhere cause i cant remeber where i read it. yes i did read it and not only word of mouth.

basically it was 2 aussie companies making the exact same thing and trying to compete with snap-on, so they merged and make the tools under the one roof but keep seperate names for the purpose of the lifetime warranties and cause the public are used to the tool...

its like renaming sidchrome to jo blows tools, they are still made exactly the same way andeverything is the same but the name is different and people move away from it... its human nature Confused

7mgte83: so the mitrinxh is good hey? iv seen the TV ads at 1am but you know those ads... it looks like an awsome tool and the theory is very logical just wasnt sure whether to take the plunge, thats why im fully sidchromed Rolling Eyes but i might just take that plunge, probably start with the 8-19 range and then expand if im happy
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sat, 28 August 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep the Metrinch stuff is great, more so on rounded nuts and bolts. So long as you have the room the swing the spanner.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sat, 28 August 2004 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahah yeah wilbo ended up bring it over, putting in one of our vices and ground the shit out of it Wink

The spanners are damaged more than the pics show also.

K.c Tools and kinchrome are all i choose from now on really...unless he just got a freak bunch, which is weird i spose Confused

Blake
Greg.
Regular

November 2003
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sat, 28 August 2004 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With all due respect to those who support this brand I have to say after using the brand for over 40 years..remember.."Yah canna hand a man a granda spanner than a Sidchrome"..I have to say that since the ownership changed and the Siddons family totally disappeared from the operation the quality has suffered..the nice thick shiny chrome covers what I think is on occassion a lesser product..and recent documented events would seem to support that..
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sat, 28 August 2004 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well then i must have a old batch, cause iv used mine with the assistamce of hammers at times and not a scratch on them (but i have since got crappy spanners for situations like that now)

and takes every bolt of first time every time with minimal fuss and effort
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sun, 29 August 2004 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Sun, 29 August 2004 02:42

hahah yeah wilbo ended up bring it over, putting in one of our vices and ground the shit out of it Wink

Blake

bah Very Happy I had them ground off when I got there, I used the oxy and the vice at yours, the later with more success that the former! Ta

Cheers
Wilbo
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sun, 29 August 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get one of these Metrinch sets.
http://www.metrinch-tools.com/productimages/met0076.gif

Best investment EVER!
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sun, 29 August 2004 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey toobs you know what theya re worth roughly? being sunday and me at work almost 24hrsw a day its hard for me to find out... just wnat a rough price if you know it, thanks

actually where did you get the pic from? should have the price with it right?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sun, 29 August 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mates got a set of these ive been using recently, danmed fantastic set. very very good for getting bolts with rounded heads.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sun, 29 August 2004 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
single hex sockets are what you use for crowned nuts...
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sun, 29 August 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Sun, 29 August 2004 12:14

Get one of these Metrinch sets.
http://www.metrinch-tools.com/productimages/met0076.gif

Best investment EVER!

*drools on keyboard*

I love the look of brand new shiny tools, especially ratchets
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sun, 29 August 2004 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought a set of siddies back in 1992 and have never broken one. have bashed them with hammers and doubled them up( ie link one spanner to the other to get more leverage) so many times.

best investment ever..

but.. my set looks alot different to your set, nowhere near as much chrome on them. the new siddies look weaker and are probebly made from different stuff.

lost the ratchet and "found" a real classy west german ratchet at my mates dads house - this is a quality piece of gear..have really abused this!!

from the sounds of it I wouldnt by any of the newer sidcrome stuff.

7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sun, 29 August 2004 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah we had a couple sets of metrinch tools in tech at high school. absolutely loved them. they are great on bolts that have biuld ups of rust etc too

FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sun, 29 August 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive never had a problem with my sidchrome tools, and i abuse the hell out of em, they are the new style.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Sun, 29 August 2004 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah seems weird ay...i have a 10mm new style, and its beautiful to use Confused
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Mon, 30 August 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The name Sidchrome doesn't mean anything anymore unless you specify when it was made. For example, my Dad has a nice pair of Sidchrome pliers that he bought about 10yrs ago. They have been used a fair bit but are still in top working order because they are nicely made with good steel.

Now, I liked them and decided to buy a pair for myself. I took the serial number and picked up the same ones. When I sat the "new Sidchrome" next to the "old Sidchrome" I could see that the ones I had bought were badly finished, brushed instead of polished, crap chrome and the plastic had daggy bits from a crap mould.

You would expect the new pliers to be in better condition, better working order than the old ones. Not so.

Conclusion: Now that all Sidchrome stuff is made in Taiwan instead of the States like it used to be the quality has turned to shit. I have stopped buying Sidchrome because it is no longer great quality, its just expensive.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Mon, 30 August 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWIW - Repco make some very nice quality spanners at a decent price. I've managed to put a couple of nicks in mine, but, that's the only damage I've done to them in two or three years of hard use....
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Mon, 30 August 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Wilson wrote on Mon, 30 August 2004 12:37

FWIW - Repco make some very nice quality spanners at a decent price. I've managed to put a couple of nicks in mine, but, that's the only damage I've done to them in two or three years of hard use....

repco looks suspiciously like sidchrome i think!
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Mon, 30 August 2004 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go bahco !
rick_o
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Mon, 30 August 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll second that Repco call.

I have a total assortment of all brands, and, funnily enough, my 1/4" driver (Sidchrome) shat itself and I bought a Repco one as a replacement.

VERY solid, and has the ball-bearing release, which is a must when you're working with sockets in tight places..
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Mon, 30 August 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Mon, 30 August 2004 13:05

go bahco !

bahco make damn good shifters!
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Mon, 30 August 2004 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, we have 2 Bahco shifters... damn good. About 15-20yrs old and have that great feel of quality when you pick them up. Smile
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Mon, 30 August 2004 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is so amazing about these "Metrinch" tools? I have never heard of them??
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Mon, 30 August 2004 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can't really see it in the above pictures but the metrinch stuff have kind of rounded lugs that contact on the flat sides of the bolt rather than indentations that contact the corners. Because of this design they don't have to fit as precisely as the conventional design, so each spanner can be used for metric and its closest imperial buddy

Toobs: do you know the price on a set of metrinch tools like that?

[Updated on: Mon, 30 August 2004 05:20]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Tue, 31 August 2004 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can get them from Bunnings for about $300 for that particular set.
I know the local distributor though and "may" be able to get a group buy happening if enough people are interested.
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Tue, 31 August 2004 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ooooh so much money that I shouldn't be spending Confused but if you could could find out the price on a goup buy I'll let you know if I'm in, it will have to be a good price unfortunately because of the need for postage.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Sidchrome spanners eh Tue, 31 August 2004 08:01 Go to previous message
Quote:

Conclusion: Now that all Sidchrome stuff is made in Taiwan instead of the States like it used to be the quality has turned to shit. I have stopped buying Sidchrome because it is no longer great quality, its just expensive.

Yes Simdog I totally agree with that! My old school Sidchrome (1970s stuff) is awesome. However I was recently informed of their recent Taiwanese manufacturing, and have since bought a few repco tools, which I have been extremely happy with.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Getting a Brake disc machined down inn diameter
Next Topic:spray paint on ke30 rims?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:05:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069828033447266 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.