Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Anyone running a rear coil setup that is not captive ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Anyone running a rear coil setup that is not captive ? Mon, 30 August 2004 17:51 Go to next message
G'day,

Just wondering if there is anyone who is running a rear setup that it not captive (springs wise) under full shock extension.

From what i have found so far, the hardest spring rate out there that will provide a 2.5" drop in the rear of an ae86 (off the shelf) is a 170lb spring. I would like to run a 200lb rear with the same 2.5" drop. - Yes i know that this will not be captive with std travel koni rear shocks.

Has anyone run a similar (theoritically non captive) setup and encountered problems ? I still have the bump stops in place but would really like to go up in rear spring rate.

James
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Anyone running a rear coil setup that is not captive ? Mon, 30 August 2004 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am
but running short stroke shocks
and no bump stops
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Anyone running a rear coil setup that is not captive ? Mon, 30 August 2004 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you ever had a coil(s) fall out under hard driving ? / track conditions ?

How short is the coil (under full shock extention) from being captive ?

My plans were to increase the spring rate by only 17% (170lb - 200lb) i'm hoping that its not going to make the coil alot shorter.

Thanks

James

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Anyone running a rear coil setup that is not captive ? Mon, 30 August 2004 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well
the old springs i had (same height but less kg/mm)
were about 5 cm taller than the KMAC 6.3kg/mm's i have now

never ever fallen out
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Anyone running a rear coil setup that is not captive ? Mon, 30 August 2004 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6.3kg /mm ? Hard.

If my est is correct say 550kg static loading on the rear, with fuel, spare and my behind, so thats 275kg / corner.

Current captive spring 2.5" lower (3.04 kg/mm)
Deflection under load (est 275kg)= 90mm

New fix it all wonder coil 2.5" lower (3.6kg/mm)
Deflection under load (est 275kg)= 76mm

I'm not 100% sure, but i'll take the difference in deflection as the est difference in coil height. 14mm.

I'm guessing that if the coil is only short by 14mm (from being captive under full extension) and i've got the bump stops in place, they *shouldnt* pop out.

Thanks for your input ae86drift. I had already contacted kmac yesterday and they have told me that all i have to do is to specify a ride height and a spring rate, and they go from there. What ride height did you specify for your beast - just so i have an est to go on.

*time to waste more money on soft springs*

James
paddles
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Anyone running a rear coil setup that is not captive ? Mon, 30 August 2004 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If they're not too short (the springs) you can drill a small hole in the platforms and tie them in place with a loop of wire. I have heard of this being done and was been told to do this for my fronts because my springs only just become loose at full extension.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Anyone running a rear coil setup that is not captive ? Tue, 31 August 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

6.3kg /mm ? Hard.

If my est is correct say 550kg static loading on the rear, with fuel, spare and my behind, so thats 275kg / corner.

Current captive spring 2.5" lower (3.04 kg/mm)
Deflection under load (est 275kg)= 90mm

New fix it all wonder coil 2.5" lower (3.6kg/mm)
Deflection under load (est 275kg)= 76mm

I'm not 100% sure, but i'll take the difference in deflection as the est difference in coil height. 14mm.

I'm guessing that if the coil is only short by 14mm (from being captive under full extension) and i've got the bump stops in place, they *shouldnt* pop out.

Thanks for your input ae86drift. I had already contacted kmac yesterday and they have told me that all i have to do is to specify a ride height and a spring rate, and they go from there. What ride height did you specify for your beast - just so i have an est to go on.

*time to waste more money on soft springs*

James

i didnt specify anything except i wanted 6 or more kg/mm
i drove it down there
they measured the old ones and made new ones to spec
easy
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: Anyone running a rear coil setup that is not captive ? Tue, 31 August 2004 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drill a hole in the spring platform and wire the spring to the bottom of the spring seat, i'll be doing this in my ke25 when i put my new front suspension setup in next week. i'll be wiring in two places, close to the end of the coil, and 180 degrees from this. be careful you don't end up wiring a piece of the spring that's sposed to compress and expand, you'll just break the wire. if the spring compresses down onto the wire, you'll crack the coil metal

the rally car that my springs came out of used to run the same setup i intend to use, but with cable ties instead of wire

my exhaust guy also had the suggestion of welding a piece of large diameter pipe, or even just 4 stopper prongs, coming down from the top spring seat. i personally would only need about 1.5" of stopping metal, you may need more or less. this way the spring can bounce about all it wants but it's never going to fall out. unsure of legalities, i think the pipe may have more chance of getting engineered (if required) than prongs
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Anyone running a rear coil setup that is not captive ? Tue, 31 August 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can also use hose clamps to secure the springs
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Anyone running a rear coil setup that is not captive ? Tue, 31 August 2004 10:49 Go to previous message
Thanks guys!

I appreciate the input.
Now time to waste more money on softish springs.

A firmer spring rate it is! *captive or not!*

James
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:H4 Wiring Pinouts
Next Topic:Bonnet Moulding
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 06:40:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053198337554932 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.