Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » locker diffs ... ??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
locker diffs ... ?? Tue, 31 August 2004 01:04 Go to next message
ive been looking at a few different types of locker diff, and there are "auto lockers" such as lock rite, aussie locker, etc etc...

they seem to allow some degree of passive differential action allowing the outside wheel in a turn to freewheel ahead of diff speed. the rest of the time, the diff is locked, no one wheel can be 'powered' at a rotation greater than the diff speed. apparently they do 'ratchet' during a rolling corner, but there are no descriptions of chirping or drive shaft wind up.

does anyone have any experience of driving these around the streets? how tolerable and safe are they?

this would be the perfect kind of diff for a hill climb application... ive also read reports of good use in circuit racing, but im not too sure about this one myself.

opinions?

cheers
ed
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: locker diffs ... ?? Tue, 31 August 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Watching others drive cars on the street and in motorkhana's with locked diffs shows that they are a difficult handfull and not pleasant after a short period of time.
While it is extra complexity and equipment you should also consider a 'Air-Locker' type system that locks the diff on demand and otherwise gives you normal open differential action when its not engaged.
Just some food for thought....
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: locker diffs ... ?? Tue, 31 August 2004 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ask Rod, I believe he was getting an Air Locker, and no doubt he would have researched it up the wazoo before getting anything Smile
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: locker diffs ... ?? Tue, 31 August 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a mate of mine has a air locker, its great they can be enagaged when moving too, as long as you aint accelerating, however they have no give at all
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: locker diffs ... ?? Tue, 31 August 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.powertrax.com/images3/lrdiagram.jpg
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: locker diffs ... ?? Tue, 31 August 2004 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive been looking at a 'powertrax" centre for my ma70 into ma61 rear end...very nice looking centre indeed. Less expensive than a truetrac also.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: locker diffs ... ?? Tue, 31 August 2004 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 13:22

ive been looking at a 'powertrax" centre for my ma70 into ma61 rear end...very nice looking centre indeed. Less expensive than a truetrac also.

edit: id have to look for you to see if they're available for the 7.5" diffs.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: locker diffs ... ?? Tue, 31 August 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If anyone were at all looking at an air locker, you should also check out the Toyota E-Lock. These can be had fairly cheaply from wreckers and are not noisy like the compressors for the airlockers Smile
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: locker diffs ... ?? Tue, 31 August 2004 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 14:17

If anyone were at all looking at an air locker, you should also check out the Toyota E-Lock. These can be had fairly cheaply from wreckers and are not noisy like the compressors for the airlockers Smile

speak more, son...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: locker diffs ... ?? Tue, 31 August 2004 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 12:21

Cool1 wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 14:17

speak more, son...

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/afertig/88/elocker.ht m
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: locker diffs ... ?? Tue, 31 August 2004 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if were going for hillclimb/circut racing should you be looking for a good mechanical LSD 1.5 or 2way sounds like the one you want..

[Updated on: Tue, 31 August 2004 05:24]

Chump
Regular

April 2003
Re: locker diffs ... ?? Tue, 31 August 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all you have to do is weld the bastard up and have a few axles ready to go in.... i have had mine welded up for a year now and i have only snapped i set of axles. it much cheaper and easier to do mate.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: locker diffs ... ?? Tue, 31 August 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey chunp what car you got? i got 2 welded lockers for a '22, drove mine for a year on one of them and never had an issue, but i only got a 3T spinning it

EDIT: my mate had his RX7S2 locked and the whole diff housing broke into 5 pieces on the M5 once Shocked

we were picking up BURNING HOT pieces everywhere

[Updated on: Tue, 31 August 2004 09:30]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: locker diffs ... ?? Tue, 31 August 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do people reckon would be the first to break? the spine into the diff, the 4 bolt flanges, cv's and/or shafts, or the spline into the hubs?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: locker diffs ... ?? Tue, 31 August 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The spline into the center.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: locker diffs ... ?? Tue, 31 August 2004 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lockers suck if you want to turn even a small corner, get a decent LSD!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: locker diffs ... ?? Tue, 31 August 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agreed. For any street car, a good LSD is the way to go; either rebuild the factory one (good) or get a TrueTrac (better). Lockers are for people who like breaking drivetrain components. Razz
Chr!s
Regular

October 2002

Re: locker diffs ... ?? Wed, 01 September 2004 00:05 Go to previous message
if you can afford it the arb air lockers are awesome... drive normal then whenever you want to lock it, flick the compressor switch then flick the locker switch and begin dropping double leggers all over the shop!!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Hilux diff splines
Next Topic:Info on air compressor
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 21:21:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065560340881348 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.