Beer_is_good
Regular

February 2004

MA61 manual conversion Tue, 31 August 2004 03:02 Go to next message
The facts:
-I have searched already.
-It's an 84, with a 5M-E.

What I need to know is:
-Is there a computer for this gearbox/engine combination, or more to the point, will swapping the box allow the computer to run properly?
-Does anybody have any of the necessary parts, any advice, anybody in QLD done it?
-Hydraulic or cable clutch?
-Gearbox numbers/models that will fit straight in (I don't want to make up a tailshaft or tail/intermediate combination or whatever, don't want to modify anything, but that should be ok since they came out in 5spds too).
-Any other points you think I should know, keep in mind I've done it before but not on an MA61.
  Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 manual conversion Tue, 31 August 2004 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the auto ecu can be bridged to work ok.

i also have a manual ecu to suit if required.

clutch is hydraulic. youll need to dig a master and slave cyl, plus pedal etc from an ra60/65 celica

w55, w57, w58 gearboxes will go in using an M-W series bellhousing (can be found around the place reasonable regularly. i just sold one for $40)

youll also need a manula flywheel (which i also have!) $40 plus postage Smile
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: MA61 manual conversion Tue, 31 August 2004 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can't have that auto box dieing again.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 manual conversion Tue, 31 August 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 13:06

the auto ecu can be bridged to work ok.

I was about to do this on mine (7M-GTE though), and I tried to start it (without doing anything to the wiring), and she started.

One for the gipper !!!!!

Normally you have to make the ECU think it is in Park or Neutral, but I'm not complaining !!!!

[Updated on: Tue, 31 August 2004 03:12]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 manual conversion Tue, 31 August 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, and the front half of the tailshaft needs to be swapped. i can help you out with this bit too Very Happy
Beer_is_good
Regular

February 2004

Re: MA61 manual conversion Tue, 31 August 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good, that's all as I expected.
I'll buy your flywheel, and I'll settle for either buying your manual ECU or if somebody can send me bridging instructions...
I can pick up all the pedal/cylinder gear from the wreckers no worries.
Time to browse the "Parts for Sale" section too I think.
Very Happy

EDIT: Damn about the intermediate shaft... ah well. Now to collect my thoughts...

[Updated on: Tue, 31 August 2004 03:13]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 manual conversion Tue, 31 August 2004 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And don't forget the gearbox crossmember as well.
Beer_is_good
Regular

February 2004

Re: MA61 manual conversion Tue, 31 August 2004 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The cross member?
Schteeky taape mate.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 manual conversion Tue, 31 August 2004 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the tailshft should pose no problem. simply unbolt the old one and install the new one. total of 4 bolts.

is the x-member defineitely non-compatible? im unsure of this issue (never had to deal with it myslef)
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 manual conversion Tue, 31 August 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did a conversion from 5M-E auto to W55, so very similar to you.

As the others have said, clutch pedal, clutch master and slave off any RA6X, MA1 or SA63 will fit. Also smaller brake pedal.

You should be able to get a bellhousing from a 5me->w58 or a few others (5m-ge did they come as manual?,7mge->w58, cant remember what else). Also clutch fork and rubber boot.

Flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. Throwout bearing, spigot bearing, and I'd suggest doing the rear main engine seal and the front gearbox seal while its all out.

Also you will need the longer front piece of the two piece shaft.

Also geabox cross member, I'm pretty sure the auto is different to the manual version.

For gearbox, w55, w57, w58 will bolt upto the bellhousing, w58 has the best overdrive but is also the most sought after...have a look for the shifter position you need, I think its the most common/second most far forward.

And another thing, you'll need a few of the manual bellhousing bolts as some of them are longer than the auto ones.

Cheers
Wilbo
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 manual conversion Tue, 31 August 2004 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm, methinks there is a bit of confusion on the ECU issue...the 5ME ECU is that old it doesn't give a shit what is going on behind it. Even the 1GGTE (and it would seem your 7MGTE) don't seem to mind.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 manual conversion Tue, 31 August 2004 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be aware that you may need to carefully adjust the shifter hole in the transmission tunnel, depending on which car your new transmission came out of. I had to do that with both of my MA61's. Use something sharp and/or heavy and blunt to do the adjusting. Very Happy

I have a tailshaft to suit a manual MA61 if you're interested. I'm located on the south side of Brisbane.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: MA61 manual conversion Tue, 31 August 2004 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Auto and manual box x-members ARE different. However, if you can't get your hands on a good manual box, it's not too hard to adapt the auto x-member to suit.
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: MA61 manual conversion Tue, 23 November 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
reviving a bit of an old thread. . .
but out of curiosity, does the auto to man conversion require any massaging of the tunnel???
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 manual conversion Tue, 23 November 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As the Supra came factory with the W57/8, no, no there is no massaging required.

Unless you try to fit the R154, then subtle massaging is necessary.
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: MA61 manual conversion Tue, 23 November 2004 23:37 Go to previous message
thanks for that cruzsida.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AW11 3SGTE
Next Topic:diff centres
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-