Toymods » General Car Talk » Sportivo Owners - watch your mailbox

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jase
Regular

May 2002
Sportivo Owners - watch your mailbox Thu, 12 August 2004 09:07 Go to next message
Sportivo zze123 owners...

Toyota Australia are sending you some horsepower in your letterbox.

Sportivo's were halted for sale after ADR failure on "induction noise levels" and power levels that are "inconsistent with ADR guidlines for measurement".

Basically they don't make the advertised 141kw and toyota are fixing it.

Sportivo owners are all getting a new ECU and a new airbox.

If your a second owner or have changed address make sure you ring toyota customer service and update your details.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 August 2004 09:34]

Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Spotivo Owners - watch your mailbox Thu, 12 August 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hah that is SO awesome.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Sportivo Owners - watch your mailbox Fri, 13 August 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummmmmmmm corolla or camery? 4cyl or 6cyl?
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Sportivo Owners - watch your mailbox Fri, 13 August 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zze123 is corolla sportivo, 4 cyclendar 1.8L.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Sportivo Owners - watch your mailbox Sat, 14 August 2004 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is gunna be such a pain in the arse...

I work at Toyota and hate having to carry out these recalls...

For anyone that doesn't know, they were detuned for Australia and then didn't make the 141kW as advertised... Ppl started complaining when they were getting like 80kW at the wheels and so now Toyota is fixing it...

But hmmm, I might have to try all these cars out with the new computers Razz Razz Razz ...
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Sportivo Owners - watch your mailbox Sat, 14 August 2004 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think Dave's stock Corolla Sportivo with 111kw at the wheels at our last Dyno Day disproves that theory... BUT I guess who's he to complain if they want to give him a better ECU and intake!! Surprised
ScreaminRolla
Regular

October 2003
Re: Sportivo Owners - watch your mailbox Sun, 15 August 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know how good is this i might be able to beat my record at the next dyno day without spending any money on mods Very Happy The new intake isnt going to do much though cause im gonna pull it of straight away to put my cai back on.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Sportivo Owners - watch your mailbox Sun, 15 August 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ScreaminRolla wrote on Sun, 15 August 2004 20:14

i know how good is this i might be able to beat my record at the next dyno day without spending any money on mods Very Happy The new intake isnt going to do much though cause im gonna pull it of straight away to put my cai back on.

Laughing Gold!
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Sportivo Owners - watch your mailbox Sun, 15 August 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe with a bit of luck they could find a fault with the exhaust manifold too...
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Sportivo Owners - watch your mailbox Mon, 16 August 2004 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul, Dave was obviously a lucky one as the majority that I know of were getting in the 80's and 90's...

Jase, what probs have you found with the ex manifold???
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Sportivo Owners - watch your mailbox Tue, 17 August 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nothing wrong with it at all - I just thought while they were giving out some free upgrades they might like to give me one of those as well.

Mines been fine - but I'll still have the upgrades thanks Toyota...

I'll be interested to know where the ECU actually comes from - have heard a rumours of......but lets keep it factual for now.

I think the induction noise ADR failure is interesting.
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: Sportivo Owners - watch your mailbox Tue, 17 August 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill try to get the original toyota copy whatthey sent to us screamin rolla check ur pm.
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Sportivo Owners - watch your mailbox Fri, 20 August 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FYI Toyota have confirmed the letter will be released to owners on the 23rd august.

I can get all the internal info too if anyones keen - they are also now selling the cars again.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 August 2004 08:42]

jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Sportivo Owners - watch your mailbox Mon, 30 August 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I now have a before and after set of dyno sheets for the Sportivo recall changes.

I have graphs for:

old computer with old (long) airbox/trumpet
new computer with new airbox/trumpet
new computer with old (long) airbox/trunpet
new computer with new airbox/trumpet and airbox feed removed

All graphs are a direct comparsion same dyno/same fuel/cool down to same temp between changes/average of few runs. Most were on the same day in the same session. I have thirteen in total, but the four above are the most significant.

The facts are:

The car is very obviously louder with old airbox /trumpet.

The new computer gives much improved mid range and AFR is consistenly better with the new computer. Many have expected just a boost in the "lift" section of the curve, that only the peak would increase, but that is not the case.

The air feed to the airbox is a significant restiction, possibly great than the airbox itself. (proved on the dyno - but bloody obvious if you have eyeballs) This is possibly where cheap power gains could be made. Properly built CAI's obviously have excellent potential.

Comparison between dyno graphs I've done (by both myself and the operator), and a number other stock cars on the same dyno make Toyota's claim of 141kw AT THE ENGINE realistic.

I also have photos of all changed parts and part numbers for all of them.

I ask one request:

Before all the dreamers post anything to this thread, I ask that you re-read your post and check to see if it's factual (or based somewhere thereon in). If people will become stupider by simply reading your post, don't post it.

I have spent substantial time trying to provide this as real info (as I know alot of posters do) - I'd preffer it was not splashed with a perpetuation of misinformation.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 August 2004 09:36]

paddles
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Sportivo Owners - watch your mailbox Tue, 31 August 2004 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't taken ours in yet for the mods. What is your recommendation as the best of your 4 options. Did you go for a drive to see which option felt best on the road? Can you post up your curves or even email them to me, very interested to know whether to try to get the original airbox that i've got at the moment and put it back on.
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Sportivo Owners - watch your mailbox Tue, 31 August 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll post curves soon, I just need to get them scanned.

The main change to the airbox is the white trumpet that clips inside it. The new one is the short one.

http://cust.idl.com.au/jase4474/trumpetlong.JPG
http://cust.idl.com.au/jase4474/trumpetsidebyside. JPG
http://cust.idl.com.au/jase4474/trumpettopdown.JPG

The new computer shows a significant change in horsepower in the mid range, the largest variation being about 8-9hp slap in the middle of the curve (not in the lift section of the curve), with a similar change in torque. The lift section of the curve raises slightly.

When the new (short) trumpet is combined with the new computer it shows a further increase over the "lift" section of the curve, staying virtually the same for the rest.

No additional low end improvements were made by using combinations of the old (long) trumpet/old computer with the new. The old trumpet has a molded screen that may be restrictive - I have not tested removing that (and likely won't).

The new computer and new trumpet are better in virtually all parts of the curve in both terms of torque and power. AFR is also better with these together.

The curves and the photos of the parts will make this clearer.
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Sportivo Owners - watch your mailbox - Dyno Sheets Wed, 01 September 2004 10:07 Go to previous message
http://cust.idl.com.au/jase4474/combineddyno.JPG

Green is old computer old/long trumpet
Purple is new computer old/long trumpet
Red is new computer new/short trumpet
Blue is new computer new/short trumpet /factory airbox feed pipe removed

removed bit
http://cust.idl.com.au/jase4474/skinnyairfeed.JPG
Diametre of this pipe is about half that of the throttle body, but makes the car HEAPS louder. What really needs to be done is replace this pipe with a larger cold air feed.

Best result of 137.9rwhp (converted to 102.9kw) is on the same dyno, but 2 days later as cars in this thread:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=42232&start=0&rid=234&S=4b6438849d5d 49b429278dca97108eb3
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MK2 in Trading post...
Next Topic:Mechanic screwed me... what to do!???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 13:09:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065469741821289 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.