Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
levin_boi
Regular

March 2004
ae82 suspension into 86 Tue, 31 August 2004 05:08 Go to next message
hey guys i have just wrecked some of an ae82 and i found it had aftermarket springs on it and i was wondering if these springs will fit into my 86? front or rear?

thanks

sab
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: ae82 suspension into 86 Tue, 31 August 2004 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just see if the spring diameter is not too far off and if the length of the front and rear are relatively the same. ie. put them next to each other and compare. I'm also wondering about this.

anyone done it?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: ae82 suspension into 86 Tue, 31 August 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rears would not go
ae82 has irs and smaller diameter springs than what you need.

front struts wont go in.

ae82 is 4 bolt.

why dont you buy some king springs? not exactly a kings ransom
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: ae82 suspension into 86 Tue, 31 August 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as ae95 said get some new aftermarket springs K-MAC does custom heights and last time i checked were around $300 a set of 4.
definately worrthwhile if you want your car to sit level
levin_boi
Regular

March 2004
Re: ae82 suspension into 86 Wed, 01 September 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would get sum kingies but i'm really low on cash atm and the springs are just sitting there and i would rather use them then sell them. since they are not kingies they wont go for more the 50 bucks for all 4 so i thought it would be a much better improvement on the 86 then the stock suspension. so the fron springs will fit? i'm just putting the springs in not the whole strut. so front will fit and not rear?

thanks sab
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: ae82 suspension into 86 Wed, 01 September 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont know

check it out for yourself
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: ae82 suspension into 86 Wed, 01 September 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but the back definately wont fit since ae86 uses big diamter springs compared to the small diameter ae82 ones
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: ae82 suspension into 86 Wed, 01 September 2004 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want to lower your car cheaply. go to a pick n payless or similar wrecker pull some springs out of a much bigger car with the same diameter springs and then cut to suit your desired ride height wouldnt cost more than $100 including hacksaw blades
levin_boi
Regular

March 2004
Re: ae82 suspension into 86 Wed, 01 September 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha thats ghetto man, i dont wanna chop springs. i didnt want to lower my car at all. i wanted to make it stiffer to obtain higher handeling capabilities. but looks like i will have no luck with these 82 springs. oh yeah just a question. i know the 86 has a live axle but is it possible at all to customize rear coil overs for the rear? or is there a kit for rear coilovers? and why cant you have irs on a live axle?

thanks guyz

sab
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: ae82 suspension into 86 Wed, 01 September 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes u can put custom coilovers on the rear. would be a wise to add extra support tho the shock mount tho.

irs and live axles are completely different designs. if u look at each setup u will soon realise the answer.

i have heard some rally guys bend the housing slight amounts to get some camber. other than that all solid/live axles have static camber ie. zero
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: ae82 suspension into 86 Wed, 01 September 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate you are much confused on what live axle and irs mean. your too tight to spend some money on stiffer springs but now your talking about rear coilovers? stiffer springs wont necessarily give you better handling anyway.
if you want better handling, you can always add a second stock rear sway bar as sprinters usually have a bit of understeer. just get one from a wrecker, prob no more than $10 and fasten it to the one on your car. sounds dodgy (cause it is) but it works.
levin_boi
Regular

March 2004
Re: ae82 suspension into 86 Wed, 01 September 2004 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah sorry for my ignorance. i'm still un educated when it comes to suspension. i have no intention of buying coilovers for my car. i was just confused about how the suspension works on a live axle. cos i was looking at my 86 and i was trippin on why the spring ans shock are seperate. anyways more reading for me Razz
thanks for the help guyz

sab
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: ae82 suspension into 86 Thu, 02 September 2004 12:35 Go to previous message
cutting heavier springs isnt dodgey! as long as its cut cold then theres no problems with doing so. you dont need to cut them if they sit your car at a desired height and are stiffer. but that is a rare find to retrofit springs like that without needing a cut.

sell the ae82 springs and use the procedes to fund some other springs from a wrecker.
dont quote me but i am lead to believe some falcon springs are the same diameter as AE86 rears and are designed to hold up a car weighing almost twice what yours weighs. you want stiffer!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:remove air big steering wheel
Next Topic:Brake limitations....
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 16:53:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043501853942871 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.